2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The $5000 TaylorMade SLDR Guarantee - 20 GolfWRXers. 4 Locations. Details here!

Handicap: after all these years, I do not have an official handicap

Reason why you should attend: I have played a number of drivers in the recent past. None of them could prove ANY considerable distance
increase. so I stay with the popular one that I can at least get the least embarrassing distance from. I would love to see if the Taylormade SLDR
would actually give a five month a year player some appreciable distance.

Current driver setup: Nike VR 10.5 deg. with AldilaVoodo grapite shaft.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Handicap: 2.5
Reason why I should attend: I launch my driver around 16* but with a little bit too much spin and am relatively certain that an SLDR will improve performance IF it truly can lower spin substantially enough.
Current Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.5

PING i25 9.5
TMAG Burner 15
Mizuno MP H4 2i
PING i20 3-P
Vokey 52, 58

[b]Handicap:[/b] 13/14 (unofficial)
[b]Location:[/b] Longwood, FL (Orlando Area)
[b]Reason for Attending:[/b] Not convinced that TM or any other manufacturer's marketing claims provide significant 'real world' improvements from a driver launched six months or a year ago. My current driver is easily the most forgiving I've ever played.
[b]Current driver set-up: [/b]NIke Covert 1.0 10.5 Degree - Performance UST VTS (Tour SPX) Black R

Handicap: 3 years ago was a 3.8.... Since having a stroke, probably a 12

Why? I've become an anti fanboy of TM over the past few years. As far as I can tell, you've spent more time and effort marketing the B.S. than developing anything like the older irons '05 TP CB's, and haven't put out a really good driver since the 510tp.
If all the hype were true, we would have all gained over 50 yards just from the last few years of your marketing hype, and that's not only not possible, but it's not true either.

Current driver: Callaway TC serial X Hot 10.5* (non pro) with a Fubuki K

T.I. Callaway X Hot 10.5* - Fubuki K
T.I. Callaway X Hot 15* - Fubuki AX
T.I. TM r7 5wd w/A.L.E. - ATX Blue
Cobra S3 ProS 5-9 w/XP105s, 588 RTX 46*
B-stone West coast design 52/58
Odyssey ProType #3

Handicap: 8.6
Location: Lawrence, Kansas. Dallas is the closest, but can travel anywhere
Reason why you should attend: Driver has always been the one club I can't figure out. I have been fit professionally, and I have done multitudes of on-course testing, but overall, everything ends up to be about the same. Currently as happy with my current setup as I have been with anything, but it has been a couple years, and interested in new technology. I don't expect to find anything that blows me away, I think driver technology is maxed out, and all performance gains are incremental at best. While I'm currently using a TaylorMade, I have not given much thought to the SLDR, lofting up and the resulting loss of forgiveness does not make sense in my mind.
Current driver set-up: Taylor Made R11s TP, RIP Phenom 70 stiff

Titleist 915D3 | Rogue Black 70
Titleist 915F | Rogue Black 80
Titleist 915H | Diamana D+ 90
Mizuno MP-53 | KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX | DG S200
Taylor Made Ghost Spider

Handicap - 7
Location - NW Indiana
Reason - It's hard to believe that every 6 months Taylormade comes out with a new product that is heads and tails above the last product. I bought the RBZ driver and then the R1. I will give them the difference between the those two but this driver has less adjustability than the R1 and seems like it's a step backwards.
Current - R1 with stock shaft, stiff flex.

[list]
[*]Handicap: 6
[*]Location:Washington blaine.
[*]Reason why you should attend: Because I just don't think Taylormade makes products that match up to other leading manufacturers. I think their products are cheap , and feel awful. However i have not tried the r1 or SLDR. I also think maybe they go longer then some ,or most , but overall are they a better driver? is it easy to hit the sweetspot? how forgiving is it? I think their stock shafts are mass produced and not spec'd like for example titliest. Im sure their tour quality stuff is probably pretty solid but off the rack stuff is just average. the gap between off the shelf and tour made equipment is larger when compared to other top end manufacturers.
[*]Current driver set-up: titleist 913 d2 x stiff speeder 7.2 45 inches
[/list]

[list]
[*][size=4][b]Handicap[/b]: 5.9[/size]
[*]
[*][size=4][b]Location: [/b] St George Ut[/size]
[*]
[*][b][size=4]Reason why you should attend: [/size][/b]Because I don't believe the marketing hype. This would be TM's chance to wipe the smirk off my face. I realize when you see the driver I play that you can't out perform it..... so I understand not being chosen.
[*]
[*]
[*][size=4][b]Current driver set-up[/b]:[/size] S-Yard T3.88 w/TRPX
[/list]

[b]Handicap: [/b]23-24 (23.9 last i checked)
[b]Location: [/b]Rochester, NY
[b]Reason why you should attend:[/b] Being a higher handicap (trending down finally!) companies are ALWAYS claiming that they'll get me extra yardage, or additional forgiveness. I'd like to see it proven for once.
[b]Current driver set-up:[/b] Nike VRS (last year before the Coverts), 9.5 degree (neutral) with a Project X 6.0 in it.

Titleist 915 D3 9.5*
Titleist 917 F2 15*
Titleist AP1 4-5
Titleist AP2 6-P
Vokey SM6 52/58
Toulon Design Rochester

Handicap - 7
Location - NW Indiana
Reason - It's hard to believe that every 6 months Taylormade comes out with a new product that is heads and tails above the last product. I bought the RBZ driver and then the R1. I will give them the difference between the those two but this driver has less adjustability than the R1 and seems like it's a step backwards.
Current - R1 with stock shaft, stiff flex.

[list]
[*]Handicap: 18
[*]Location: Anaheim CA
[*]Reason why you should attend: I am an admitted TM skeptic. it appears the Loft UP and SLDR is just a marketing mechanism for the TM brand. the high lofted driver sounds like it would be easier to get in the air, and the logic appears correct, but i feel a low lofted higher spin head paired with a proper shaft and shaft length would get better results than what the SLDR is advertising.
[*]Current driver set-up: 9.5* Ping K15 Aldila Rip Alpha
[/list]

G430 Max 9*

Ping G25 20*

Ping G425 26*
Ping i500 5-W
Ping Glide Forged 50*/54* 
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 2  58*
Ping PLD Custom DS72H 

[list]
[*]Handicap: 14
[*]Location: Raleigh, NC
[*]Reason why you should attend: My mantra was always been low loft. Honestly, I’ve discounted looking at TM. Had nothing to do with the white. I'm still bagging the R11 rescue TP. I never got along with the R11 driver which was a balloon monster for me. So when they said loft up, I was very dubious. The recent claims have peaked my interest and I’m eager to take one out for a spin on the monitor.
[*]Current driver set-up: Callaway Extreme TA, 8.5, Project X Black
[/list]

[list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: 8[/size]
[*][size=4]Location: Lima, OH[/size]
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: I am an equipment junky and I've tried every main stream (by GolfWRX standards) combination of shafts and heads[/size], its all a push in the end.
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up:[/size] 8.5* Titleist 913 D2 Fubuki alpha 60 S
[/list]

[list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: 3.4 [/size]
[*][size=4]Location: Virginia[/size]
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: Everything I play goes roughly the same distance... I've tried SLDR in various lofts and increasing loft did not work for me. It was no better than my current setup unless the launch monitor was set up for "concrete" like roll conditions and I hit a low snap hook with SLDR. I am a Phd research scientist specializing in computational informatics and the SLDR just didn't produce the "numbers" and that was big factor in concluding it wasn't going to work for me. I liked the feel but am not convinced it is really different. [/size]
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up:Tour Edge Exotics Tour Proto 9* Accra T50 S playing at 44.5".[/size]
[/list]

Handicap: 12

Reason why you should attend: NOTHING is kicking the ZLE out of my bag. I "lofted up" before it was cool. And with all of the guys that used to play 8/9° drivers "Lofting up" to a 12° driver, I dont think there is enough loft in the world to get me to switch to the SLDR.

Current driver set-up: Cobra ZLE 10.5° w/ AD DJ 6s (tipped .5") + Cobra 460 SZ 12° w/ VTS TourSPX 6s

-----

WOW me. I dare you.

Handicap: 4
Reason why you should attend: I want to see if A PROPERLY fit SLDR will kick my G25 out of the bag. I have taylormade everything but my G25 is money....Taylormade are you up for the challenge? I recently read the article by SpyGolf and the G25 and the SLDR went head-to-head and I saw different results. Again, I was not properly fit and my numbers are really good with the G25. Please TM and GolfWRX send me to Dallas...but I don't want to see the Cowboys.

Also if selected I would drive to Dallas since I live in San Antonio, Texas.

Current driver set-up: Ping G25 8.5 Stiff, Diamana Ahina 45 inches.

[b][color="#ff0000"]TAYLORMADE ARE YOU UP FOR THE CHALLENGE....WILL IT TAKE OUT MY G25![/color][/b]

Handicap--15

Location--frozen tundra around Boston

Reason for attending--I'm skeptical around the loft-up claim. Two years ago, I played a Cleveland Classic 310 at 9 degrees loft, with very good results--accurate with great roll-out. But working with an instructor, I changed my swing and the lower lofted Cleveland simply helped me kill a bunch of worms. Last year, I did have to loft up and went to a 10.5 G25. The G25 is very forgiving and generally gives me good carry, but little roll, so my accuracy is good but my distance is actually a bit behind where I was. I can't imagine that going to a loft of 12 is going to help the distance. But hey, I'm willing to try anything to improve.

Current driver--G25, 10.5, with a stock stiff Ping shaft.

[color=#0000cd][size=6]I would like to caveat my post with the following: I ruptured my right Achilles Tendon in February and should be able to swing a club by late May/early June. This would be a great motivation during rehab.[/size][/color][list]
[*][b]Handicap:[/b] [color=#0000cd]unofficial 14[/color]
[*][b]Location:[/b] [color=#0000cd]San Diego, CA (specifically Chula Vista). I would drive myself to Carlsbad and stay at my own place. ZERO cost to TM outside of the fitting.[/color]
[*][b]Reason why you should attend:[/b] [color=#0000cd]I'm [/color][b]#Team[/b][color=#ff0000][b]Callaway[/b][/color][color=#0000cd][b] :smilie_cally:[/b] [/color][color=#0000cd]which by default makes me a TM hater/doubter. 17/1700 is unattainable. A nice marketing ploy at best. How close can the average Joe really get? 14/2500 is my guess. Before my injury, I picked up a bunch of new Callaway clubs (Big Bertha 3 Wood, X2-Hot 4 Hybrid, Apex Pro Irons, Mack Daddy Wedges) to go with my X-Hot 5 Wood and Odyssey 2-ball Putter. My entire bag is Callaway/Odyssey with one exception,[/color][color=#0000cd] [/color][color=#ff0000][size=5]THE DRIVER[/size][/color][color=#0000cd]. I had plans to put the TM SLDR head-to-head with Callaway's Big Bertha and/or Big Bertha Alpha before my injury. The only difference is the battle will take place in May/June vice March. [/color]
[*][b]Current driver set-up:[/b][color=#0000cd] My recent gamer was my Titleist 910D2 10.5 Degree Driver with AD DI-6 Stiff Shaft.[/color]
[/list]
[color=#0000cd]​[/color]
[size=6][color=#0000CD]How's that for a challenge :smilie_tm:??? Can the SLDR Driver be the lone TM club in my all Callaway bag?[/color][/size]

[list]
[*]Handicap: 8.8
[*]Location: East Bay CA
[*]Reason why you should attend: played with all different setups from callaway, titeist, cobra and ping. Last 6 year been play TM r7 SQ and getting 3000+ back spin regularly on differnt LM. Have tried Callaways BBA and Pings new I25 to lower spin with no success. Tried the 460 sldr felt like crap compare to Ping and Callaway. Whiling to try 430 if it is truly as low spinning as TM say it is.
[*]Current driver set-up: TM r7 SQ, adilia NV tipped 1" and just last month added G25 8.5* Motore Spec VC 6.2 TS tipped
[*]Willing to try anything that lowers my backspin!
[/list]

Handicap: 10
Why: I'm looking for a new driver and am interested in the SLDR, the technology is interesting however i am skeptic and would like to see how it performs against my driver
Current: Bridgstone J40 445 10.5 PX 6.0

Titleist TSI3 Tour AD MT 7S
Taylormade SIM 14* Tour AD IZ 7S
Mizuno Fli Hi 2 & 3 iron
Miura CB 1008 4-PW Nippon Super Peening Orange
NCW 52 - 57
Scotty Cameron Bullseye

[list]
[*]Handicap: 9.8
[*]Location: Atlanta [You don't have to fly me there...I can drive there in no time (car not golf ball)]
[*]Reason why you should attend: No way the SLDR can beat the AMP Cell for forgiveness or distance, especially on miss hits (I have plenty miss hits, see handicap).
[*]Current driver set-up: Cobra AMP Cell at 9.5 with 'ahina stiff
[/list]

[list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: [/size]12
[*][size=4]Location: Boston, MA [/size]
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: I am a semi-believer. I have a SLDR in my bag but I am not seeing distances longer than my R11S Soooooooo, let's do some professional tuning to see if I made a good purchase[/size]
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up: SLDR w [/size]Mitsu Rayon Fubuki
[/list]

[color=#00ff00][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Cally Epic HZRDUS 6.0 T800[/font][/color]
'17 TM M1 w/ G Design Tour AD
[color=#ffff00]'16 TM M1 3/4 Hybrids w/ G Design Tour AD[/color]
[color=#00ff00]Cally Apex CF Black 5 - W PXLZ5.5
Cally MD3 50, 54, 60[/color]
[color=#ff0000]Scotty GoLo7 Dual Balance[/color]

[list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: 5[/size]
[*][size=4]Location: Boston[/size]
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: [/size]I believe that all driver heads these days are pretty much the same these days. its much more about getting the right shaft that fits your swing, once that is established can plug and play into almost any other head and get very similar results.
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up:[/size] 913D2 9.5* RIP Phenom 70
[/list]

• Handicap- 2
• Location- Chicago
• Why I should attend- I took Taylormade/National Retailer at their word and switched to SLDR 430 and it had been a hot mess of frustration. Can't keep the ball in the air, went from 280+ carry to much, MUCH less.
• Current Driver set-up- SLDR 430 stock stiff, tried stock x-stiff in original purchase. Previously used RBZ Tour 9.5* with stock stiff.

Titleist TSi3 Driver
Taylormade M6 15 3-Wood
Titleist u500 2i
Titleist T100 Irons 4-P
Titleist Vokey Wedges 50, 54, 58
TM Spider Tour X
Titleist Pro V1

RLX Apparel with Footjoy Shoes & Gloves

[list]
[*]Handicap: 10-15 (haven't actually had a GHIN in about 8 years)
[*]Location: Charlotte, NC
[*]Reason why you should attend: The concept of having a driver with so many adjustments is intriguing, but I often have to wonder if it is too much hype. What happens if I better my swing; should I go constantly to have the driver refitted? Also, from someone who has used indoor tracking as well as the TrackMan at an outdoor range, I can see there is a significant different between the store demo area and actually using the club in the real world. I am skeptical about the higher loft as I already have a 14-16* launch angle.
[*]Current driver set-up: Titleist 913D3 / 9.5* loft / 9 gram weight / D4 setting / Fujikura Fuel 60 S-Flex / Boccieri weighted grip
[/list]

[color=#282828][b]Handicap: [/b]14[/color]
[color=#282828][b]Location:[/b] [/color][color=#282828]TMPL at TPC Sawgrass, near Jacksonville, FL[/color]
[color=#282828][b]Reason why you should attend:[/b] I don't think this technology is [i]new[/i]. Call me crazy but Mizuno had this technology in one of their drivers years ago and it did nothing for me. Can taylormade improve old technology that much? I would have to try it and be proven wrong.[/color]
[color=#282828][b]Current driver set-up: [/b]Callaway Razr Fix Xtreme 10.5* w/ Mistubishi Fubuki Stiff.[/color]

Callaway Rogue 10.5* (D & -1*) w/ GD Tour AD-DI 6 Stiff
Callaway RFX 16.5* w/ Fubuki Tour 63g Stiff
Callaway RFX 21* w/ Fubuki Tour 73g Stiff
TaylorMade MC TP 4-PW w/ Aerotech i125cw Reg
Callaway PM 54* & 58*
Odyssey #9 Stroke Lab - 33"
The one's I hit into the woods and into the water.

Hope everyone has fun.

I've heard enough of the SLDR and TaylorMade in general hype - it's not really going to be any better-ier. I'll stick with proven performance of my Ping G25 plain old stock shaft. As a 18 HCP in frigid Kalamazoo, MI, it's not like TMAG has a club that'll match the forgiveness and distance I already have.

Handicap: 10
Reason why you should attend: I demoed the 430 and the 460 this winter but was not head to head with my driver. I felt like the numbers just were not there and I tried several lofts. All be it it was indoors on a simulator but the feel was not there to sell me on the whole lofting up.
Current driver set-up:2 drivers my stand by Ping g10 7.5 degree/ rip60x and current gamer, R1v2 set as low as I can get it and a kyoshi prp 65/05 shaft.
Thanks for the chance to be proven wrong.