2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Mid-Am Aspirations-Experiences, and stories wanted

I would like to hear stories and experiences from member regarding Mid-Am qualifying experiences.

I'm a high single digit hc, but have about 2 years to dedicate to getting lower and playing in qualifiers, both state and USGA. I plan on using a coach/mentor over the next 12 months.

I have no illusions of anything other than the experience of higher level competition and the slim possibilities of moving on, looking at the qualifying scores in California, 70-74 can get you through in some cases to the USGA. (I see the 66-68's too)

Who's done it? Would love to hear the stories and experiences, not just of the golf and the scores, but would love to hear about the other players and attitudes. There has to be some great ones out there.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you get some good stories here as well. I'm in a similar position it sounds like. After a 10 year layoff from any competitive golf, I got the itch to see what I could do last year and set up a tournament schedule and practice routine. Made significant progress last summer and accomplished all my tournament goals for the year. However, my goals were all local/state based. This year one of my goals is to qualify for one of the US Am's (PubLinks/US AM/Mid-Am). I played in the publinks qual last year and really wasn't ready for it yet, but it was a good experience that gave me a better idea of where I need to be with my game around here. -5 through 36 holes got through on a fairly challenging set up. There is some pretty stiff competition in the summertime here, with University of Utah, BYU, and several other state schools producing some quality players who maintain a busy summer tournament schedule. In addition, there are a handful of mid-ams and seniors who are consistently in the mix as well. With Salt Lake being kind of the main city in the entire state, most of our local tournaments have the same guys that you'll see at the State am and all USGA quals, and winning scores are always under par, sometimes significantly so. I am attempting to get to +4, as that is the range where the winners of these events are coming from.

Good luck to you OP as you work towards your goals! Keep us posted - could be a fun thread!

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

I don't really have any stories, and have limited experience in playing in USGA qualifiers, but here's a bit about my experience.

First, the Am and soon to be extinct Public Links qualifiers I played in were basically just college tournaments. But, that's what I got for playing in tournaments in the summer in Florida. Many years ago I shot 72-74 (+2) in a pub links qualifier, which was by far my best showing in a high level tournament, on a course rated at something like 73.5, and I finished T-20. I think there 3 spots open from our qualifier and the third position shot around 68-68.

I've only played in one mid-am qualifier, also in FL, but that's because I quickly realized that I was just giving my money to the USGA with no hope of making it past the qualifier. All of the USGA qualifiers I played were while I was in grad school and had the opportunity to play and practice a bit more regularly… I could usually get out to the course 3 days a week. When I played in the mid-am, I found out that it was full of a bunch of 25-yr old former college players (so they still had lots of game) or 50 yr old semi-retired businessmen who seemed to all know each other from playing in all the big tournaments around the state (so they also played lots and had lots of game). Par was 72, the course rating was around 73, and there were multiple guys in under par. The winner shot 69 or so (we won't talk about what I shot). Our site only had two qualifying spots and I think there was a three way tie for second at 70.

The summer I played in the mid-am I had also played in the pub links and the US am qualifiers. One thing I was not prepared for was how mentally exhausted I was by the time the mid-am rolled around. I didn't play in college and hadn't really played in a lot of tournaments, so I wasn't used to the mental grind of playing tournament golf. Even though it was only three tournaments in 4 months, they were the three biggest I had ever played in and it wore me out.

From my little bit of experience, I can offer a little advice. Ignore the numbers that people shoot in qualifiers… course set ups for the qualifiers can be so different from the normal set up that shooting 72 in a qualifier might be the equivalent of shooting 66 any other day. Not to mention that the scores don't tell you about the weather conditions. Play in lots of local and state tournaments on different courses to get yourself used to focusing and grinding that hard on your game. Just playing your home course in a money game with your buddies isn't going to get you ready for tournament golf on a strange course with a bunch of people you've possibly never met before. Lastly, to be competitive in state tournaments and usga qualifiers you probably have to be playing well enough that you can shoot even par anywhere you play, even if you haven't seen the course before. On your home course you should be able to go low fairly regularly… in my opinion, if you can't shoot a few under on the course you know the best, then you're going to have a hard time competing with the guys that can do that regularly on the courses they rarely, if ever, play. You might still have fun playing in the tournaments, but it'll be hard to qualify/win anything if you can't shoot under par any time you show up to the course.

Everyone's experience is different… good luck with trying to get better and I hope you fare better in the usga qualifiers than I did.

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

A buddy qualified when he was a 1-handicap at Redlands CC in California. He had no chance of making match play at the time, though. The course set ups for USGA events are very challenging, and he had precious little tournament experience. He shot 81, 85 or something, and missed making match play by a bunch.

Bottom line: a solid zero or 1 (or even 2) can qualify, but you better be a serious plus-capper to make match play, most likely. You will be playing against mostly former college players and many ex-pros.

Not discouraging you at all, just giving you the real deal. IMHO, of course.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Best of luck to you!

I'd say that playing in State Am's/ Mid Am's is probably a more attainable goal. If you can make it far in those competitions than you'd have a much better chance at the USGA Am competitions. My thought process (would love to play in USGA events one day) would be that I'd like to know that I'm one of the better players in my state before trying to qualify against everyone in America.

[quote name='brtnsbs' timestamp='1397513601' post='9091057']
Best of luck to you!

I'd say that playing in State Am's/ Mid Am's is probably a more attainable goal. If you can make it far in those competitions than you'd have a much better chance at the USGA Am competitions. My thought process (would love to play in USGA events one day) would be that I'd like to know that I'm one of the better players in my state before trying to qualify against everyone in America.
[/quote]

So I disagree with this. I believe that anyone below a 4 handicap should play in as many tournaments as possible. Period. Play in every one that you can:[list=1]
[*]Afford
[*]Qualify for, index-wise
[*]Can get time away from work/family for
[/list]
We only get better at competition by playing competitive rounds. There is simply no substitute for playing real events against plus-handicappers under pressure. If you are keenly award during your round, you will get better every time you play. Your scores may not always show it immediately, but if your goal is to [b][i]learn[/i][/b] every time you tee it up when you are outside your comfort zone or ability level, you sill do so. And, like I said, I have a couple friends that have qualified for the U.S. Mid-Am, both of whom were just above scratch when they did so.

Just checked the results from the SCGA Mid-Am (so far), two players from my club are within the top 15, one of them made it to the USGA Mid-Am last year which was held back east. I have played a few matches against some other names on that list, basically the names I recognize are all at +2 to +4 and are really solid golfers. I think as a 9, you definitely will need to dedicate a lot of time and as someone said above, play in a lot of stroke play events.

There's a huge difference between shooting even par in your Saturday skins game with people you know at a course are familiar with and playing with other guys who may or may not have way more tournament experience than you do, putting everything out in conditions you are not familiar with and hitting shots you aren't comfortable with. The guys I am referencing have very solid overall games, solid off the tee, long but also straight, solid ball strikers and have good short games. Both players are also solid under pressure, and are not scared of hitting the "clutch" shot. I have learned a lot by playing with and against them this year.. as well as players better than them, it has really helped my game.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1397534846' post='9093849']
Just checked the results from the SCGA Mid-Am (so far), two players from my club are within the top 15, one of them made it to the USGA Mid-Am last year which was held back east. I have played a few matches against some other names on that list, basically the names I recognize are all at +2 to +4 and are really solid golfers. I think as a 9, you definitely will need to dedicate a lot of time and as someone said above, play in a lot of stroke play events.

There's a huge difference between shooting even par in your Saturday skins game with people you know at a course are familiar with and playing with other guys who may or may not have way more tournament experience than you do, putting everything out in conditions you are not familiar with and hitting shots you aren't comfortable with. The guys I am referencing have very solid overall games, solid off the tee, long but also straight, solid ball strikers and have good short games. Both players are also solid under pressure, and are not scared of hitting the "clutch" shot. I have learned a lot by playing with and against them this year.. as well as players better than them, it has really helped my game.
[/quote]

Several guys from my club are there too. I missed qualifying this year, but I finished 3rd in 2005 and 11th in 2006. I'm getting my game back in shape, though, and am gunning for the U.S. Mid-Am this year! :-)

What club are you out of?

Topic moved for a third time, now to "Groups, Tourneys, and Partners Matching" SMH

Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate the feedback, sounds like fun to get out of a comfort zone and see how your nerves and mental game hold up to pressure. I'll likely enter some of the local and state stuff. Thanks again, too bad this keeps getting moved or there might have been better participation.

I've played competitively since high school, and I play in the USGA qualifiers every year. It's tough, but now I really only focus for these. With full time career and 2 kids, it takes a lot out of me.

Best advice - spend months getting mentally ready. What used to be a week or two of intense preparation now takes me a month or two to be comfortable.

Stay away from swing stuff and go nuts on short game prep. In the end we are all out there to do our best.

Last summer I played with a great player in his late 30's in the Mid-Am qualifier. He made it to both the Am and Mid-Am for the first time in 2013.

If you keep working, it can and does happen.

[quote name='varno' timestamp='1397551186' post='9094355']
Topic moved for a third time, now to "Groups, Tourneys, and Partners Matching" SMH

Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate the feedback, sounds like fun to get out of a comfort zone and see how your nerves and mental game hold up to pressure. I'll likely enter some of the local and state stuff. Thanks again, too bad this keeps getting moved or there might have been better participation.
[/quote]

This post should NOT be there. That forum should be for getting people together. Your question is a general golf question for goodness sake.

[quote name='Obee' timestamp='1397540867' post='9094183']

[/quote]

Several guys from my club are there too. I missed qualifying this year, but I finished 3rd in 2005 and 11th in 2006. I'm getting my game back in shape, though, and am gunning for the U.S. Mid-Am this year! :-)

What club are you out of?
[/quote]

PM sent.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[/quote]

Thanks for this Pure, gambit spoke highly of you and your game, sounded like a good time. I'm in OC as well and would like to begin playing with lower hc players, if you have a game or want to get out sometime let me know.

You too Obee, the IE isn't too far for me.

New York State Mid-Am is 8.4
NYS Am is 7.4

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

Mid-Am's are relatively easy to get into up here in Ontario. I think you get 70 guys out at most sights and 9-13 qualify from each

Our qualifiers are held two weeks after the snow melts, and a 5 month layoff from golf .... and usually you are playing in very cold, soggy conditions .. with high winds

I've gotten in with 79's (on a 7100 yard course rated 76) and also finished second with 73 or 74.

[size=4](Doing well in the event is a diff story of course)[/size]

I miss the cut in the Mid-Am's usually but I think I have played in 6 of the last 8 Provincially and 3 of the last 8 nationally. All of the top 10 Mid-Am guys here are +2 to +5 players

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

I've played in several US Mid Am qualifiers. I've made it through one time, been in a playoff one time and missed by 1 or 2 shots several times. At all of the sites that I've played at -1 would at the very least get you into a playoff, but typically under par will get you in. Most people trying to qualify are good players, but lack the tournament experience. It's clear they are out of their comfort zone. Play as many competitive rounds as you can would be the best advice someone could give you. Good luck.

I have been to two USGA Mid am qualifiers. First one was when I was about 26 or so and was at Auburns University course. I shot 74 and thought I may have an outside shot at an alt position. It was a very tough course. Well I came in and there was a 67, 69, couple 70s and a bunch of 71-73 scores. The next time I went it was at a much easier course and I played horribly but 71 got in. It varies from place to place. But I did have a buddy go all the way through to match play and wound up winning it, I think in 2009.

I have played quite a bit more tournament golf and plan on starting to start trying to qualify for some bigger events. I will say the more you play the more comfortable you will be. Its hard mentally to know you only have 18 holes and have to finish 1 or 2 to go through.

• 2 weeks later...

I play in the USGA qualifiers except the Open. I missed once by a few shots and had it to even on the back side. I like the Mid am because it takes out the really good college and high school kids who can bomb it and are just really good. There are GREAT players in the Mid am but I feel like I have a better shot - especially when it is only 18 holes - have a good day and you could be in.

I also like the qualifiers because they are usually at good courses - our state mid am is generally at some high end courses. This year's AZ mid am is at Quintero which is a nice course to play for 2 hopefully 3 days.

I say once you crack the handicap limit and feel like you're ready - go for it. That is what I did. Don't wait too long thinking you can't compete. My first year in the mid am qualifier (usga) I shot 76 and I was over a 2 HC. Just gotta put it all together for one day.

TItleist 917 D3 Diamana D+ 70s
Ping G 25 15* Diamana D+ 70s
Callaway Apex 20* Kuro Kage
Titleist 714 CB 4-PW DG s300
SM5 56/60 M Grind
Studio Select Newport 2

[quote name='Obee' timestamp='1397534049' post='9093751']
So I disagree with this. I believe that anyone below a 4 handicap should play in as many tournaments as possible. Period. Play in every one that you can:[list=1]
[*]Afford
[/list]
We only get better at competition by playing competitive rounds. There is simply no substitute for playing real events against plus-handicappers under pressure. If you are keenly award during your round, you will get better every time you play. Your scores may not always show it immediately, but if your goal is to [b][i]learn[/i][/b] every time you tee it up when you are outside your comfort zone or ability level, you sill do so. And, like I said, I have a couple friends that have qualified for the U.S. Mid-Am, both of whom were just above scratch when they did so.
[/quote]

Cant agree with Obee enough here although I think it applies to all levels of competitions.

I have a lot of friends - as I'm sure we all do - who think they are "getting better" by kicking around with their buddies on weekend and are "playing a lot more this year". That's just playing, thats not necessarily getting better. In my opinion. Three years ago I started playing almost all my rounds on a regional amateur tour (I will probably card 50-60 rounds this year at least half will be tournament rounds). I've gone from a 16 to an 8. Playing in tournaments in front of other people I dont know has gone from absolutely terrifying to something I cant wait for. I can absolutely say that playing in tournaments has improved my scoring in casual rounds of golf but I dont think you can say the opposite.

Even last weekend, I had two absolute brain meltdowns on the final two holes but still managed to win. On the way home I wasnt even that excited about the win - I was more excited about what I learned so that next time I can recognize its happening hopefully *before* I brain fart. The only thing I'm really miffed about was that I chucked my ball into the water on the final hole thinking I had thrown it away.

Play all the tournaments you can afford to play. You may not "make it" for that event but your game will definitely be the better for it in the long run.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P / Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I enjoyed reading all the responses and yours as well. Amateur Golf is similar where ever you live

in the US. Where the sun shines year round you'll have a deeper pool of good players,

but good - is good. I played against John Cook in High School, and you knew this guy was special.

There are those guys, everywhere, guys that dominant. I've learned over the years that special players

seem to have a different- tournament gear, I'll call it. If you're lucky you'll find you may have one as well.

That being when you get nervous you play better, and the more nervous you get the better you play. All my

lowest scores have been in tournaments. The only times I've shot 68 or lower- tournaments. Birdie the last

few holes to win, in tournaments. Like I said, a special gear. I used to feel it coming. I would relish it- not at first mind you.

Good golf takes hard work, and lots of it. It takes the ability to dust yourself off and keep at it. It takes

ambition, desire, and sacrifice... if you expect to compete with the big boys and hopefully be one yourself.

If you see some talent in your play, figure out a way to work harder and push yourself. Because you'll need it

at some point of you're thinking, "I'm feelin it today", this is awesome" Try and enjoy it and not trip on your pecker. It may be a State Am qualifier- or a Mid, maybe a USGA event. Each and every one of them is a chance for you to enter the history books lads. You never - ever- know what each day has in store for you. So you live every day, every round, every minute,

like this is the one you've been waiting for, all your life. It may be a Met Pub Links Championship or the US Mid-AM.. You all know what I mean. And at some point - if you keep your mind on the shot at hand, they may just post your name at the top of the leader board.

So be prepared, practice with purpose. Dress yourself like a champion, not a bum... Clean your clubs all the time, iron your shirt-

CARE about it... Learn about the history of the game and the greats that came before you, long before you. Who's Harold Hilton, What's a Redan, who the heck is CB McDonald.................. The rich history of our game takes on a different meaning when you become part of it, and you stand a better chance of doing just that if you immerse yourself in it all.

I've had a dream like Amateur career, yes I've played in USGA Events. Yes the US Am, yes the US Mid Am -I dreamed it, and worked my tail off for it, and I make a 20 footer in a playoff to play in it- The one I wanted most of ALL..

The United States Amateur Championship at Pebble Beach... Rounds of 71-75 =146 and it was good for a shot at the 3rd spot in the playoff... and BAMM- first hole, I cried driving home,tears of absolute disbelief and joy..

"Ladies and gentleman, on the first tee, representing New Jersey".... You think you've been nervous before fellas? lol, you don't know what nervous is...

USGA Events on average take one player in every 30 in a qualifier- so an event with 90 guys, they take 3 players from that site- and so on. You only need one spot, just one.....

Pebble was the greatest thrill of my life.

I was the Playing Captain of our USGA State team... I've played in International Events....

And...

I'm the former, and always will be the New Jersey State Amateur Champion (1999) And former State Mid-Amateur (2000). In fact I had them at the same time and it's never

been done since or before, Pic at my web-site...

3 times, MGA Pub Links Champion...

I now teach and coach players ... of ALL abilities, including some Professionals..

I recently wrote an article about practice. how to... Please Read it ...

My web site. Dropmoreputts.com

The thing is guys, and gals. I see allot of crap about meaningless sh--t... If you're got the handicap to play in an event forget everything else.. except sending it in.. Go make your own history, scores you need to shoot, how good this guy and that, how hard, when I'm ready, gee wizz- hard to believe some get out of bed..Go play.. Go win.. Keep your head down and your peter up- lol- ......................

Go get it guys, it's just waiting for you. The ball does not know you think you stink, or you're not ready... so, tomorrow , pretend that "you"

are the best player ever.. and Believe it. Because, that's how - it starts, with self belief, and it grows.

Take care of yourself, your business, your clubs. Learn, about the game, and the history of this game... because if you want to be the player you dream about becoming, immerse yourself... it's truly up to you. Spend time "chipping" if I can give you one word of sound advice, because without a short game "fogetaboutit"... Jersey right? lol. Swing your Swing, as Arnie says ...

But as far as the "how's this and how's that nonsense" ... go friggin play, enter all the events you can, ones that you have a low enough handicap for - send that entry in. Start exercising, stretching, believing. Stop thinking, and play, stop wondering

and practice. Dreams do come true, I know first hand..

I'm a Teaching Professional now, helping players young and old play better golf. How to be emotionally prepared to compete and how to prepare for events both large and small. How to replace poor habits with with new ones.

And my favorite, How to putt like your unconscious Champ.

Good luck with your shot at history, the next time you play...

Champ !

Dropmoreputts-Logo-150x150.png

amchamp NJ USA

• 1 month later...

I'm 28 and started playing competitively again 3 years or so ago. Had a few D1 offers but really grew out if love with the game after grinding for so long and decided to not play. Anyways, my home course hosted the mid-am last year and as soon as it was announced it was a major goal of mine to qualify. After a few years of hard work I won our club championship and qualified for the mid in a 3 day stretch. It was such a thrill to play a usga event on my home course. Started out pretty rocky and was +6 thru my first 5 but rallied back and missed match play by a shot. Excited to try and qualify again and improve. No matter what always keep trying. You never know what can happen!

[quote name='Obee' timestamp='1397534049' post='9093751']
[quote name='brtnsbs' timestamp='1397513601' post='9091057']
Best of luck to you!

I'd say that playing in State Am's/ Mid Am's is probably a more attainable goal. If you can make it far in those competitions than you'd have a much better chance at the USGA Am competitguyions. My thought process (would love to play in USGA events one day) would be that I'd like to know that I'm one of the better players in my state before trying to qualify against everyone in America.
[/quote]

[*]Afford
[/list]
[/quote]THIS!!

There is Tournament golf and there is everything else.

As Obee stated, if you can afford it, play in it. I would include all of the local open tourneys that you can. These will have your top Ams along with most of your top Class A Pros and assistants. Trust me, there's nothing like being the only Am in your group to test both your game and our focus.

If this intimidates or throws you, and I'm talkin mentally, not score wise, because everyone has those blow-up rounds where nothing falls, then keep playing and only you will know when your "right" mentally.

If you're a legit scratch/plus, at this level, in these events, it's mental.

My teacher of 36 years, who counted Tour Pros & Walker Cuppers to beginners as his students, felt that as either a Tour aspiring Pro or elite Am, one must AVERAGE 280 in the big tourneys.140 in the local 2 day open events and Am events is a START, though for the Big stage, four rounds with an AVERAGE score of 280.

And all that meant was that you had the game to compete, not that you could or would.

It's that mental thing again.

Some respond and some don't.

But PLAY, and that means your local/home club events. Sinking a 12' birdie putt to take the Championship flight of your club means the same thing to your subcinscious mind as a 16'er to send you to the Mid-Am Match Play. Start to build that subconscious movie library that gives you the confidence to relish, seek out and succeed in these situations.

Just have fun!

At the end of the day, that's the most important thing.

The very best to you my Friend :)

Fairways & Greens,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='farlo001' timestamp='1404419749' post='9632741']
I'm 28 and started playing competitively again 3 years or so ago. Had a few D1 offers but really grew out if love with the game after grinding for so long and decided to not play. Anyways, my home course hosted the mid-am last year and as soon as it was announced it was a major goal of mine to qualify. After a few years of hard work I won our club championship and qualified for the mid in a 3 day stretch. It was such a thrill to play a usga event on my home course. Started out pretty rocky and was +6 thru my first 5 but rallied back and missed match play by a shot. Excited to try and qualify again and improve. No matter what always keep trying. You never know what can happen!
[/quote]

Is Sam Farlow your dad? Just going by your ebay ID and knowing where the mid am was last year.

Just tried qualifying for the mid-am this year for the first time. Also played in the Open qualifier, Am qualifier, and Publinx qualifiers this year and other than one of my rounds in the Publinx qualifier I threw up big numbers. Part of it was due to losing my swing and part was nerves playing against a lot of college guys and low level pro's when it came to the open qualifier. I didn't have much in the way of expectations as far as the mid-am but played surprisingly well. I was one under going into 15 and made a huge mistake, hitting my second into the hazard over the back of the green and making a double. I pressed on the next hole (385 yd par 4) and hit driver instead of just playing a 3 wood into the middle of the fairway, and I ended up blowing it OB and making a triple on the hole. I parred 17 and 18 to shoot 76. 5 shots out of a playoff for a spot which was unfortunate knowing i should have gone par-par on 15 & 16. It was awesome putting myself in a great position to qualify and I learned a lot about how important it is to play smart. Looking forward to playing more tournament golf so I can become more comfortable with it, but its just doing it and getting used to the pressure you can face.

TM R1 w/ Axivcore Red Tour X
TM RBZ w/ AD-DI 6X
19* and 22* Super LS Axivcore X
4-9 Mizuno MP67 w/ C-Taper X
Scotty Cameron Newport Buttonback
47, 53, 59 Titleist SM4 Wedges

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got through a qualifier. Shot 68 and won the first playoff hole. It was one of the best ball striking rounds I think I ever had. Hit all 18 greens in reg and 3 of the par 5s in two. Had 35 putts. Greens were pretty quick and undulated so after I 3 jacked my second hole from 8 feet I putted defensively the rest of the day. Birdied the last 3 to get it in. Very excited about going to PA for my first USGA event.