2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

What's your setup and why?

Teetogreen86

Irons, Hybrids, or FW???
I was thinking about this the other day and wanted to see what everyone was using. My swingspeed has always been around 105 with a driver, so I find it tough to hit a 3 iron. I tried the Hogan CFT last year and didn't like it. I've hit the RM but it went left, a lot. Tried a few other hybrids with no success. So I decided to try a Cally Steelhead III 7 wood and absolutely love it. I'd never consider taking it out of the bag. I play with new people just about every week so I get to see quite a few clubs, and I see more people going to more lofted fairway woods instead of long irons and hybrids.

So what's your setup and why? You still using a 2 and 3 iron? Did you convert to hybrids? Or are you trying out some higher lofted fairway woods?

[b]Golfer | Clubfitter | Kayaker | Photographer[/b]

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont like hybrids and the 2I is useless from the rough...so yes I carry a Callaway BB2004 7 wood as well... it's my 235-245 yards club..and I can tone it down a little to get 220

Driver,3w,7w,3-PW 54 60 Putter

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

Currently using Driver-3W-2-PW. Being a strong long iron player, I have used a 2-iron for 6 years, and I haven't been using it lately, so I consider going to a 5 or 7-wood instead. Definitely NOT a hybrid. Perhaps I'll skip that club entirely and just use 13 all in all... (scary thought, being a club ho and all...)

I guess I'll end up with Driver-3w-5w-3-PW. Currently looking at the Mizuno MP-001 or the Hogan. Just dunno if I should go with 5 or 7... In fact, I have a Titleist PT17 with NV65 that might find it's way into the bag, but I am not sure what gap it will cover, and it is not very forgiving, almost harder to hit than my 2-iron.

All in all, to answer the question: I am not that fond of hybrids, and would always choose a FW instead.

/Stevi

I prefer my hybrid to play like an iron, not a FW. I have a TFR 7.0 tipped 3" and butt trimmed 1/2" short to play like the 2h. I have really good distances with it, plus it is relatively easy to control. My irons are TFR 7.0's, standard L/L/L. absolutely love my 3 iron.

God Bless

Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

I have a pretty standard setup for the most part...

Driver 9.5 Degree

3-Wood 13 degree

Hybrid 19 degree

3-PW

Thought about pulling the 3 iron, but I cannot find another hybrid that I like.

Ping G425 LST w/ GD Tour AD DI 7

TaylorMade Sim 2 Ti w/ Kuro Kage 70

Ping G425 4H w/ GD Tour AD DI 85

Titleist 718 T-MB 4i w/ GD Tour AD DI 85

TaylorMade P790 5-PW w/ MMT 125

Ping i210 UW

Ping Glide 4 Stealth 54/58

Ping PLD Olso 3

I was thinking about this the other day and wanted to see what everyone was using.  My swingspeed has always been around 105 with a driver, so I find it tough to hit a 3 iron.  I tried the Hogan CFT last year and didn't like it.  I've hit the RM but it went left, a lot.  Tried a few other hybrids with no success.  So I decided to try a Cally Steelhead III 7 wood and absolutely love it.  I'd never consider taking it out of the bag.  I play with new people just about every week so I get to see quite a few clubs, and I see more people going to more lofted fairway woods instead of long irons and hybrids.

So what's your setup and why?  You still using a 2 and 3 iron?  Did you convert to hybrids?  Or are you trying out some higher lofted fairway woods?

41378[/snapback]

Driver - 9*

Strong 3 - 13*

4W / Hybrid I - 17*

31 / Hybrid II - 21*

4 - PW

SW

LW

Putter

I'm playing NVS 75 shafts in the Driver & 3W, and NVS 85 Hybrid shafts in the Hybrids (MD's), and for my particular swing they have been pure gold. Nice medium trajectory, and always easy to hit off the deck (even the strong 3). For me, it has been the perfect setup. There isn't a shot or lie I can't address with this set of clubs (or at least attempt to address, LOL).

Still going with the driver 3 wood 2-9 iron set up. Haven't found a hybrid that I like and find that 5 or 7 woods go to high in the air. I hit the 2 iron good so it isn't really a problem.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

All the par 3's at my course are on the longer side 172+ so I give myself a choice of hybrids to help me out.

Mizuno Fli Hi II (Bent to 20° ) - I have a little better control and a lower flight with this one.

Callaway Heavenwood 20° - This one is a little longer with a higher flight and I like to use this one for chipping as well.

I may build a 5 wood (19°) to match my 3 for the days when I'm out at other courses.

My irons are 4-PW - I don't carry a 3 iron because I simply don't use it as much as I use my 4 wedges.

Get ready for some sillyness......

Driver, 4wd,2ir,9wd,5-lw,putt........

Really

41456[/snapback]

That is flat out weird. You have to be the only person on the planet who plays a 2i and 9w. I guess the 2i is tee only in windy conditions? Whatever works...

Right now I'm playing Driver, 3w, 7w, 4-l, putter. Thinking about going Driver, 2h, 3h, 4-l, putter so I can make an iron swing with everything but the driver. I haven't had much success with hybrids though, tried the Hogan, Wilson Staff, Nicklaus and didn't like any of them. Mabye the Tour Edge will work for me.

I was up in the air between a 2h and a 5w. I demo'ed both, and purchased a Great Big Bertha II Ti 5W (18º). Played about 4 rounds with it, hit it OK, and traded it for a Heavenwood 2h (17º). I hit the 2h well, but don't seem to get the distance I did from the 5w. After my wife picked up a Big Bertha 2004 5W (19º Stainless Steel with warbird sole) I tried that a few times and hit that better than my Hybrid or the GBB II Ti but the distance was rather close to my 3h so I might need to demo the 5W+ (17º). If it's a good match, I might need to add that to my collection :-D

My set of irons (and this seems to be a trend) comes 4i-9i, PW, GW so I didn't have a 3i to begin with. I purchased a 3h to fill in the gap and absolutely love it, but for some reason I don't love the 2h as much as the 3h.

Thanks,

I also find the hybrids a left machine.

Having said that I am keen to try the duel tp tour 19* (pm me if you have one for sale!)

I had a TM Rescue 16* that I fitted with a YS-7 Xflex to lower the trajectory and had a love/hate relationship with it.

Where I live is very windy in the summer so I tend to play a 2iron in the summer and, for the first time ever, this winter just gone played a 5 wood and quite enjoyed it.

I play driver at 10.5*, a 3 wood at 13* for off the tee if the drivers not working and can play a few shots to cover the wood section by choking down. Then straight to a 20* Adams tour hybrid. Then 4-9 i and PW, GW, SW, LW and putter.

Course i play is a short par 70 so need to worry more about short game options. Gonna get a 5 wood to cover distance gap though for when i play other courses.

I think your setup should be matched to the course you play all the time.

• 2 months later...

I play a 8.5* driver, 13* 3-wood (fuji 859 X to keep it lo) , 2-9 (no 8 iron), PW, 49, 53, 58.

I don't need the 8 iron on my course, but when I do, I kick myself! I play on links so it is very windy and I need my 2 iron often. I tried one of those hybrids, but into the wind I hit it as far as my 6 iron, so it was useless, I threw it some bag, and I think the caddymaster stole it! My father plays a 3w, 5w, 7w, 4 iron…he is not a very good player and need forgivness so I believe that set up works for him.

Driver (10*) - 3W(15*) - 5W(18.5*) - 3-PW - SW(56*) - LW(60*). Have been thinking about replacing the 5W with a hybrid, thinking it might be a little more versatile.

Callaway Epic Speed 10.5* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 6.0
Callaway Epic Speed 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 5.5

Big Bertha Alpha 815 20*
Mizuno JPX921 Forged 4-6 PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM8 50* F8, 54* S10, 58* D12
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5

I have both a nike slingshot 2 iron and also a callaway hawkeye 2 iron wiht x100's in both. I was playing a rescue mid with 6.0 rifle and it was a pull machine. I just went to second swing and picked these up and reshafted for a little experiment. These are sooooo easy to hit that I never really looked at any hybrids again. I play tm 300's 3-pw with x100's if that matters. Jason Gore also plays a "fake" hybrid like myself I have saw him carrying a x14 pro series 2 iron and also the slingshot. Does anyone else carry this kind of set up?

My bag is pretty much the normal bag with driver, 3 iron through a couple of wedges. I don't play a 3-wood though. I carry a 16* TM rescue TP. I feel that this club offers me almost the same distance as a 3 wood and I can hit it with much more confidence. A win-win situation for me! Simp

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

Drivers: Ping G2 and Cobra 427 with Aldila Pink NV shafts

3W : Wilson Staff with Grafalloy Nano Stiff Shaft

5W: Wilson Staff with Grafalloy Nano Stiff Shaft

3H: Cobra Baffler

3-9: Mizuno MX-23

PW: Mizuno MP37

52/56/60: Mizuno MP-T Black Nickle

Putters: Slighter Tacoma, Scotty Newport 1.5, Yes Vicotia - All 33"

Normally, I carry:

D,3w,5w

3H

4-PW

52/56

P

If it is windy, I drop the Hybrid for a 3iron. I'll probably add a 2iron this year for similar reasons.

Driver, 17* 4 Wood, 20* Hybrid, 4-PW, SW, LW and putter, I only have 13 clubs in the bag. I am thinking of taking out the 4 wood and 20* hybrid and replace them with a 3 wood, 5 wood and a 22* hybrid but can't seem to find the right equipment, I guess I got so used to the 4 wood & 20 hybrid that it's hard to change. I also thought about getting a gap wedge but my 54* SW kinda feels the gap.

well i have both a 16* hybrid and a 3 iron which is a rac lt2 n the hybrid being a taylormade rescue mid. i can tell you that is i miss the hybrid on the toe it will hook but i can play that shot when i need a few extra yards to get on a par 5 or something. if i am approaching i can hit a high fade with the hybrid. the hybrid and 3 iron in my bag have a 10-15 yard difference and i can hit both of them pretty well. i am not thinking about changing my setup which i changed from having 4 wedges and only carry up to a 4 iron or only one fairway wood with no hybrid like now i have 3 wedges with a 3 iron and a hybrid along with a 3 wood.