2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The Wager...

Pigems

Pigs,

I think myspinonit has provided a solid analysis of your data and G64 has given you a correct equipment suggestion. The yardage gaps (or lack thereof) is a potential issue, unless you want to play with a set that includes 7 clubs ; )

To leave you with a positive. Your scores have been impressive, so you must be doing many things correct during your round. The equipment can only take you so far, the operator has to still execute the shots.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1426346781' post='11141915']
Ya Pigs. Going to be working in the club repair dept. and sales. I would think that would go hand in hand with fitting?! :)
[/quote]

That's awesome, maybe ill fly up some time for a fitting :)

On another note, I see you've changed your avatar. Will you also be changing your screen name to GolfTown64 now?? :D

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

An observation Pigs. We seem to play our indoor rounds on the same days and you post results before I can.

Played what I hope is my last simulated round of the season (as the weather is forecast for mid 40s - low 60s during the week) and I went out in style

My regular playing partner and I played 18 holes at the Venetian and 9 holes at Shady Dunes. I don't know if they are real courses, but I like the layout of each. Posted a 5 under 67 on the former. Hitting 10 fairways and 13 greens, while avoiding a bogey or worse. The second 9 holes I was 3 under heading into the 6 hole and I scored my first simulated 'ACE' from 110 yards with a gap wedge. Ball landed a foot from the cup and rolled in. All the more funny considering my playing partner had hit his shot to 3 feet and was in for a birdie. I finished the 9 at 6 under par.

By far the best 27 holes of simulated golf I've played this winter. Felt like I was in total control of my golf ball from tee to green.

Now just need the courses to open so I can go out and post my first mid 80s round of the season. Either I've made massive strides this winter or the Spring is going to be an eye opener.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

The most important point . . .

I started my 8 week parental leave today. Amazing how stress free I felt this morning.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1426347827' post='11141995']

I started my 8 week parental leave today. Amazing how stress free I felt this morning.
[/quote]

I've never asked, or seen it posted, but are you expecting a little pecan, or cashew perhaps. If the leave is for something else, you can just tell me to MYOB, and I won't ask again.

[quote name='BicknellCC' timestamp='1426348637' post='11142027']

[/quote]

I've never asked, or seen it posted, but are you expecting a little pecan, or cashew perhaps. If the leave is for something else, you can just tell me to MYOB, and I won't ask again.
[/quote]

Bick,

I'd be a fool to make a reference to the leave and not explain.

Last year my second Peanut (Emerson) was born just after Mother's Day. I posted throughout the night as my wife was in labour. The little baboo is now 10 months old and my wife has been kind enough to give up the last 2 months of her Maternity Leave so that I can be a stay at home papa. We will not be having another child (we've fixed that : ) as this is our 4th pregnancy (2 miscarriages in between the two boys). I've got one shot and I'm taking it.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='BicknellCC' timestamp='1426349786' post='11142123']
Good for you man,

I've only got one and lucky to have her. I took two weeks off when she was born, and the wife hasn't had a full time job since then.

I remember how it was to come home from work, and how she would squeal, and bounce up and down when she saw me. I think you are a lucky guy P. D..
[/quote]

More rewarding than any round of golf I've ever played Bick.

We're all blessed if we have healthy children

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1426350121' post='11142153']
[quote name='BicknellCC' timestamp='1426349786' post='11142123']
Good for you man,

I've only got one and lucky to have her. I took two weeks off when she was born, and the wife hasn't had a full time job since then.

I remember how it was to come home from work, and how she would squeal, and bounce up and down when she saw me. I think you are a lucky guy P. D..
[/quote]

More rewarding than any round of golf I've ever played Bick.

We're all blessed if we have healthy children
[/quote]

I agree P.D.,

But on an entirely different note, I was hoping to hit the links today, but my kid has a fever, and the wife had a previous commitment, so I'm babysitting today instead. Oh well, we had about 3 inches of rain yesterday and last night. I'm sure the conditions are lousy, so I'm probably better off not playing. At least that's what I keep telling myself anyway.

Well as usual for me it looks like my pick of pigems to win this wager is an epic flop. Pigems, in true WRX fashion, I say you drop $2K (US) on the most pimped out set you can imagine and just throw it in everyone's faces. Do it on March 31!

In all seriousness this thread has been a good fishbowl one, a great read, and it is good to see all the originals back. And remember...

Cheaper To Keep Her - Johnny Taylor -HQ: https://youtu.be/u4uzZL6RQbw

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1426346781' post='11141915']
Ya Pigs. Going to be working in the club repair dept. and sales. I would think that would go hand in hand with fitting?! :)
[/quote]

You will do well and they will be glad to have you. You probably wouldn't anyway , but don't let anyone on here get you to post which location. I'm the old guy here so hopefully that gives me some passes for unsolicited non-golf advice. :taunt:

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1426348951' post='11142049']
[quote name='BicknellCC' timestamp='1426348637' post='11142027']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Bick,

I'd be a fool to make a reference to the leave and not explain.

Last year my second Peanut (Emerson) was born just after Mother's Day. I posted throughout the night as my wife was in labour. The little baboo is now 10 months old and my wife has been kind enough to give up the last 2 months of her Maternity Leave so that I can be a stay at home papa. We will not be having another child (we've fixed that : ) as this is our 4th pregnancy (2 miscarriages in between the two boys). I've got one shot and I'm taking it.
[/quote]
Every Dad I've known who did care and nurturing leave, (or pat leave or whatever label is put on it in your contract) found it immensely rewarding. Enjoy.

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1426347759' post='11141993']
An observation Pigs. We seem to play our indoor rounds on the same days and you post results before I can.

Played what I hope is my last simulated round of the season (as the weather is forecast for mid 40s - low 60s during the week) and I went out in style

My regular playing partner and I played 18 holes at the Venetian and 9 holes at Shady Dunes. I don't know if they are real courses, but I like the layout of each. Posted a 5 under 67 on the former. Hitting 10 fairways and 13 greens, while avoiding a bogey or worse. The second 9 holes I was 3 under heading into the 6 hole and I scored my first simulated 'ACE' from 110 yards with a gap wedge. Ball landed a foot from the cup and rolled in. All the more funny considering my playing partner had hit his shot to 3 feet and was in for a birdie. I finished the 9 at 6 under par.

By far the best 27 holes of simulated golf I've played this winter. Felt like I was in total control of my golf ball from tee to green.

Now just need the courses to open so I can go out and post my first mid 80s round of the season. Either I've made massive strides this winter or the Spring is going to be an eye opener.
[/quote]

I wish I could say that was my last of the year lol, I'm probably going back tonight with my Spaldings in the bag to test again. Don't know if I will play or just hit the range. Maybe I'll bring best sets and out them head to head.

I think your correct and G64 and MSOI's conclusions from the data and about the gear, I'm no pro so I really don't NEED to be playing cb's. But they look so nice lol. Been scouring ebay for ap sets but I'm looking at around $400/$500 minimum for a set. I'll keep an eye on golftown though for trade in sets that I could trade in against the price of. :)

Glad to hear you ended off your sim year with a bang sir, I ended my night last night with a chip in birdie on 18 myself :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1426350967' post='11142223']
Well as usual for me it looks like my pick of pigems to win this wager is an epic flop. Pigems, in true WRX fashion, I say you drop $2K (US) on the most pimped out set you can imagine and just throw it in everyone's faces. Do it on March 31!

In all seriousness this thread has been a good fishbowl one, a great read, and it is good to see all the originals back. And remember...

Cheaper To Keep Her - Johnny Taylor -HQ: [url="https://youtu.be/u4uzZL6RQbw"]https://youtu.be/u4uzZL6RQbw[/url]
[/quote]

I appreciate the support Den, but your rooting for a loosing horse lol. Imagine the used/demo clubs I could pile up with 2g, I could have like 3/4 more full sets :)

Edit: Also, that's a good song, I'm on a huge country music kick right now too :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Pigs,

I just had an equipment thought. When was the last time you had the lofts of your irons checked? After a winter spent hitting off of the indoor mats I'm going to have my lofts and lie angles checked for the April 1st wager deadline. Maybe things are a bit out of whack and that is affecting your yardage gaps.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1426373716' post='11143901']
Pigs,

I just had an equipment thought. When was the last time you had the lofts of your irons checked? After a winter spent hitting off of the indoor mats I'm going to have my lofts and lie angles checked for the April 1st wager deadline. Maybe things are a bit out of whack and that is affecting your yardage gaps.
[/quote]

I had them checked a few weeks ago when I had the lie angles bent 1* flat, I also had the lofts check while they were there. That's not to say I haven't knocked one out of whack since then though. My 8iron has been looking a little funny to me the past couple rounds.

I think for the most part it's user error honestly though, with my new stance I'm leaning the shaft forward more at address now and may be sometimes leaning too much or too little at times and that could be causing some issues there. Plus I didn't make a good solid swing/contact on every one of those shots either. Only the shots where the ball glows green at the end of the ball flight line are the shots that hit the intended target for that club

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Also, I have put the Spaldings back in the bag for tonight to see if it makes any difference with more forgiving clubs and softer shafts. Imagine, kicking out Titleists for Spaldings. I may get banned for this haha

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Congrats on the Sim-Ace! I've hit 6 pins in real life and 3 in the simulator during club demos (they use greens and pins on the screen for trying clubs) and NOT ONE HAS DROPPED!! Oh well, such is life... not jealous or anything (yes, I am).
Went to the Mizuno demo day in Signal Hill today (98 degrees out... in March ... SERIOUSLY??) and had a blast with the rep (Dave). Hit probably 100 shots without pain and I have to say the new hybrids are really nice.

I have a club suggestion for anyone looking for new sticks in the future. Surprised the heck out of me, but the JPX 850 are seriously LONG! Hit the 8 iron today and it was going my 7 iron distance with the MP-4 or my Apex MB's. 165 from an 8 iron with 36 degree loft (MP-4 7 iron is 34 degrees) with a seriously high flight. Yeah, it was the wrong shaft (XP110 in regular) which explains the height, but wow. Nice work from a "Miz-ovel" (Mizuno Shovel) I must say. :)

Only a few weeks to go... SOMEONE CRACK ALREADY!!! :)

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1426375659' post='11144085']
Pigs,

[/quote]

I had them checked a few weeks ago when I had the lie angles bent 1* flat, I also had the lofts check while they were there. That's not to say I haven't knocked one out of whack since then though. My 8iron has been looking a little funny to me the past couple rounds.

I think for the most part it's user error honestly though, with my new stance I'm leaning the shaft forward more at address now and may be sometimes leaning too much or too little at times and that could be causing some issues there. Plus I didn't make a good solid swing/contact on every one of those shots either. Only the shots where the ball glows green at the end of the ball flight line are the shots that hit the intended target for that club
[/quote]

If the Wager has taught me anything it's that 'user error' is the cause of most of my issues. The equipment is rarely the problem. When I was battling the hosel rockets I was convinced that my hosels were just a bit bigger than normal, turns out I was taking the club too far to the inside. Who would have thought?

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1426375951' post='11144115']
Also, I have put the Spaldings back in the bag for tonight to see if it makes any difference with more forgiving clubs and softer shafts. Imagine, kicking out Titleists for Spaldings. I may get banned for this haha
[/quote]

I wonder if you could swap your CB's for an AP1/AP2 combo set? What about CB's in the short irons and AP1/AP2's in the mid/long irons?

I'm loving my split set right now. Hybrids from the 5 iron on down have really turned my 170 - 200 yard distances into a strength. I'm leaning toward workability from 8 iron to LW, a bit more forgiveness in the mid irons and repeatable in the hybrids.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1426376513' post='11144143']
Congrats on the Sim-Ace! I've hit 6 pins in real life and 3 in the simulator during club demos (they use greens and pins on the screen for trying clubs) and NOT ONE HAS DROPPED!! Oh well, such is life... not jealous or anything (yes, I am).
Went to the Mizuno demo day in Signal Hill today (98 degrees out... in March ... SERIOUSLY??) and had a blast with the rep (Dave). Hit probably 100 shots without pain and I have to say the new hybrids are really nice.

I have a club suggestion for anyone looking for new sticks in the future. Surprised the heck out of me, but the JPX 850 are seriously LONG! Hit the 8 iron today and it was going my 7 iron distance with the MP-4 or my Apex MB's. 165 from an 8 iron with 36 degree loft (MP-4 7 iron is 34 degrees) with a seriously high flight. Yeah, it was the wrong shaft (XP110 in regular) which explains the height, but wow. Nice work from a "Miz-ovel" (Mizuno Shovel) I must say. :)

Only a few weeks to go... SOMEONE CRACK ALREADY!!! :)
[/quote]

Gaucho,

when the ball found the bottom of the cup I turned to my playing partner and apologized. He couldn't buy a break today and I fleeced him for quarters. On that hole he hit a beautiful iron shot to gimmie distance for a birdie and I surprisingly went lower. We laughed together. The instructor in the next booth had indicated that he'd never seen an indoor ace. I just hope the well hasn't run dry, because I'd rather experience the real thing (drinks and all) : )

On the equipment front . . . so many solid offerings on the market today. I've always liked the look and feel of Mizuno's irons, but they were always beat out by another club. Their forgings feel soft on center strikes.

The distances you speak of are foreign to me (if in the simulated world). PD is but a wee little man.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1426377822' post='11144223']
Pigs,

[/quote]

[/quote]

If the Wager has taught me anything it's that 'user error' is the cause of most of my issues. The equipment is rarely the problem. When I was battling the hosel rockets I was convinced that my hosels were just a bit bigger than normal, turns out I was taking the club too far to the inside. Who would have thought?
[/quote]

Oh it's almost definitely user error in my case, when I strike my mid/long irons properly they do what there supposed to do. I have actually though hard about a combo set, I like the idea. I'd even go 3 4 5 ap1, 6 7 8 ap2, 9 p cb. I've been looking at single irons and heads on ebay and it seems the cheapest route to AP's, wait it out and find the individual clubs/heads until I get what I want. Unless A full set pops up at Golftown anyway, they have new sets there but I don't want to spend hat much yet. :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1426378461' post='11144285']
Pigs,

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh it's almost definitely user error in my case, when I strike my mid/long irons properly they do what there supposed to do. I have actually though hard about a combo set, I like the idea. I'd even go 3 4 5 ap1, 6 7 8 ap2, 9 p cb. I've been looking at single irons and heads on ebay and it seems the cheapest route to AP's, wait it out and find the individual clubs/heads until I get what I want. Unless A full set pops up at Golftown anyway, they have new sets there but I don't want to spend hat much yet. :)
[/quote]

I like your idea of a split set featuring AP1s, AP2s and CBs. Individual heads would probably be the most economical way to go. I've only hit AP2's once (while playing with G64) and they felt beautiful on a well struck shot.

I'm leaning toward finishing my short set of Wishon 560's with an 8, 7 and 6 iron. I'm digging the minimal offset in the club head, which I never thought I would.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

PD it is cool reading the basis of your bag set up. You play a wise man's bag.

Onset is a good thing. It is much better for controlling the clubface. And it looks better to the eye. There's no reason not to dig it.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1426380196' post='11144419']

Onset is a good thing. It is much better for controlling the clubface. And it looks better to the eye. There's no reason not to dig it.
[/quote]

The past 8 months of the Wager I've given a great deal of thought to my wants and likes (lord knows I don't 'need' anything). I'd grown so accustomed to SGI/GI irons, that offset became a part of the equation. As my swing has evolved I believe my equipment desires have changed ever so slightly. I'm definitely ready for the start of the outdoor season.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

A guy at GolfTown told me there is a pro, u can't remember who, that plays ap1 3 4, ap2 4 5, cb 6 7, mb 8 9, Vokey p s l. If pros are doing it, why can't we eh??

I'm at Golfzon now just waiting for my booth to open up, the group before is just finishing up. :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1426380196' post='11144419']

[/quote]

I agree totally Den, PD has a smart bag. He is making me want to now as well :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1426378807' post='11144315']
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1426378461' post='11144285']
Pigs,

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I like your idea of a split set featuring AP1s, AP2s and CBs. Individual heads would probably be the most economical way to go. I've only hit AP2's once (while playing with G64) and they felt beautiful on a well struck shot.

I'm leaning toward finishing my short set of Wishon 560's with an 8, 7 and 6 iron. I'm digging the minimal offset in the club head, which I never thought I would.
[/quote]

You could always have options, everyone loves options :)

I'd like to eventually have a full set of ap1's, ap2's, cb's and mb's. :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2