2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The Wager...

Pigems

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1425553238' post='11081523']
[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1425523998' post='11080191']
[quote name='LittlePoison1980' timestamp='1425522978' post='11080049']
Cricket is very interesting... I have no idea of what's occurring, but I find it interesting...
[/quote]

Was my school's cricket 'coach' for a year (the only year we had a team). 7 Pakistani students. 5 hour matches. I had no idea what I was doing. In our last game one of our students nearly beat an opponent with a cricket bat. The sport was too intense for me and our school.
[/quote]

Sounds like my kind of sport PD, is there contact involved??
[/quote]

Almost was on that day. People have died on the cricket pitch. Those balls can 'scream' off of the bat when struck with authority. Our team had a bowler who could pitch a mean ball.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1425600737' post='11086275']
[quote name='BicknellCC' timestamp='1425597532' post='11085935']
That's like when you were a kid waiting on Christmas. I need to learn the finer points of club making. I posted about my one disaster attempt at trying it earlier. I probably didn't get the hosel cleaned out good enough, I just drilled out the broken piece of shaft, and sanded it with sand paper wrapped around a stick.
[/quote]

Its worse, at least as a kid you knew when Christmas was coming lol. Club building seems to be part science, part art, and mostly about practice. Kind of like this silly game we play :D
[/quote]

Well said Pigs. I'm impressed with many of the true professional club builders on this site. They make the complex look simple

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Gents,

the Wager is coming to a close in the near future and the weather appears to be changing as the days seem to be getting longer. Much learned during the past 8 months. We should give some thought to the wrap-up. I've enjoyed my time spent with this gaggle of goofballs.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1425601141' post='11086337']
[quote name='BicknellCC' timestamp='1425525106' post='11080295']
Cricket is very interesting... I have no idea of what's occurring, but I find it interesting...
[/quote]

Was my school's cricket 'coach' for a year (the only year we had a team). 7 Pakistani students. 5 hour matches. I had no idea what I was doing. In our last game one of our students nearly beat an opponent with a cricket bat. The sport was too intense for me and our school.
[/quote]

I remember the matches were long and the term over being used instead of inning? Are you a teacher P.D.?
[/quote]

I'm a secondary school teacher Bick who is currently teaching history and geography. Nearing the end of my 13th year. Looking forward to a parental leave in a few weeks.

Livin' the dream.
[/quote]

I liked most of my teachers throughout my school years. Funny though, some of them I didn't like so much, taught me more than the ones I did. I'm sure Canada's future voters and leaders are getting a good education from you.

[quote name='BicknellCC' timestamp='1425603154' post='11086563']
[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1425601141' post='11086337']
[quote name='BicknellCC' timestamp='1425525106' post='11080295']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I remember the matches were long and the term over being used instead of inning? Are you a teacher P.D.?
[/quote]

I'm a secondary school teacher Bick who is currently teaching history and geography. Nearing the end of my 13th year. Looking forward to a parental leave in a few weeks.

Livin' the dream.
[/quote]

I liked most of my teachers throughout my school years. Funny though, some of them I didn't like so much, taught me more than the ones I did. I'm sure Canada's future voters and leaders are getting a good education from you.
[/quote]

My Grandmother (since departed) gave me a keychain when I was first hired that reads as follows: "Lord, grant me the patience to guide our youth with love and understanding". When things go sideways (and they sometimes do) I clutch those keys.

They could be used as a weapon in a fight ; )

I was blessed to be taught and coached by a handful of extraordinary teachers. I teach at my alma mater. I'm attempting to keep 'the home fires burning'.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1425555430' post='11081565']
I did once in a tournament go up into the stands after a game to try to fight a parent of the other team who was running his mouth lol, I'm starting to see why they kicked me out hahaha. We had lost and i was going around shooting the other teams gloves and helmets into the stands and this parent had something to say about it lol.
[/quote]

You are OFFICIALLY the Esa Tikkanen / Claude Lemieux of the 'WRX community. I might have broken a few hockey sticks (in rookie league) and snapped a racket after a tennis match where my parter "quit" on me in doubles against our rival school (and against a friend of mine from elementary school), but I never fired the other teams equipment into the stands. :)

Time to change that name ... GolfGoon taken? How about Focused Against Failure? :)

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1425616473' post='11088073']
I did once in a tournament go up into the stands after a game to try to fight a parent of the other team who was running his mouth lol, I'm starting to see why they kicked me out hahaha. We had lost and i was going around shooting the other teams gloves and helmets into the stands and this parent had something to say about it lol.
[/quote]

You are OFFICIALLY the Esa Tikkanen / Claude Lemieux of the 'WRX community. I might have broken a few hockey sticks (in rookie league) and snapped a racket after a tennis match where my parter "quit" on me in doubles against our rival school (and against a friend of mine from elementary school), but I never fired the other teams equipment into the stands. :)

Time to change that name ... GolfGoon taken? How about Focused Against Failure? :)
[/quote]

Hahaha thats nothing lol, I once beat up a guy in the Hand Shake lineup for saying something about my Mother as he passed by me, you DON'T EVER speak ill of my mother !! He got his, when i grabbed his hand to shake it i didnt let go and started swinging wildly with my free hand until the refs broke it up lol. But Claude Lemieux?? You couldn't even give me Marty McSorely or Bob Probert?? lol ;)

How about NotSoHappyGilmore?? or GrumpyGilmore?? :D

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1425640732' post='11088787']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hahaha thats nothing lol, I once beat up a guy in the Hand Shake lineup for saying something about my Mother as he passed by me, you DON'T EVER speak ill of my mother !! He got his, when i grabbed his hand to shake it i didnt let go and started swinging wildly with my free hand until the refs broke it up lol. But Claude Lemieux?? You couldn't even give me Marty McSorely or Bob Probert?? lol ;)

[/quote]

Never shake hands with a guy, at the same time insulting his mother, when the other guy is a lefty.

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1425601785' post='11086415']
Gents,

the Wager is coming to a close in the near future and the weather appears to be changing as the days seem to be getting longer. Much learned during the past 8 months. We should give some thought to the wrap-up. I've enjoyed my time spent with this gaggle of goofballs.
[/quote]

I agree PD, it's been a great run and I'm kind of sad that it has to end in some ways, but I'm happy that I won't need my wife to make purchases for me any longer lol. We should definitely do a final wrap up type thing where we explain what we've learned thru the process and our experiences with not being able to buy clubs. And any other relevant info lol.

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1425650013' post='11089181']
[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1425601785' post='11086415']
Gents,

[/quote]

I agree PD, it's been a great run and I'm kind of sad that it has to end in some ways, but I'm happy that I won't need my wife to make purchases for me any longer lol. We should definitely do a final wrap up type thing where we explain what we've learned thru the process and our experiences with not being able to buy clubs. And any other relevant info lol.
[/quote]

It's that guy from the West again....Maybe when you agree on a wrap-up type ending you amend the subject line for same. Go to page for wrap-up etc. ...

And/or you ask the mods to close the thread, and since this one is over 100 pages, start a new short sum up thread that you decide together of what you learned from the experience, with a link to this thread for those who weren't following in the journey? With 65000+ reads the last time I looked, a lot of folks besides the regulars have at least been peeking in.

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1425640732' post='11088787']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lemieux was a big time winner... he scored when it mattered and meant a lot. McSorely was on the Queens so I cannot demean you with that name. Prob's has passed on from drugs, so a bit of a taboo call. How about the Violent Gentleman himself, George Parros? He had sniping ability but never got to use it. The last year with the Ducks he went up against Flash in the accuracy contest ... and went 4 for 4! Sniper baby!! Longest standing ovation for an All-Star drill ever!

George, Flash, and Beauchemin are some of the best guys in the game. Beauchemin, during the lockout, played ON the worst team in Rookie League for a game. If I remember, that team had a few players girlfriends or wives on if the rumors were true (fake names). The look on people's faces when he hit the ice was CLASSIC! I saw the helmet coming out of the locker room and just about burst out laughing. My friends on the other team were bug-eyed. Still beat them, but he had a goal (center ice bouncer) and was robbed with 2 real glove saves in the game. Strange thing... it was olympic ice and 2 of the guys kept going AT Beauchemin instead of the "weaker" defensive side of the ice. Given it is rookie league, the partner HAS to be the weaker side! I guess they wanted to say they went at an NHL defenseman and never stood a chance. Oh yeah, Beauchemin got a "roughing" penalty too! lol!!

Not so nice guys: Prongs (not swift and there is a story why he was traded to the Ducks... just saying), Kariya (flipped off kids in FRONT of a friend of ours who is a former NHL'er... and 6'4" and 230 lbs), and supposedly Jonathan Quick (just heard, no proof).

Didn't Pronger get traded because his wife didn't want to live somewhere cold?? Was it Edmonton or Winnipeg??

Or how about Erin Linda's not reporting to the Nordiques?? Lol

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Well I managed to get in 45 holes of sim golf played in the past 24h lol, my shoulder and elbow are sore but I played some of the best golf I've ever played this weekend and even hit a milestone. Last night the Piglet, my wife and I went over forn9 holes of sim golf. We played Bowman GC, a nice 6500y course. The Piglet shot a +8 for 9 holes from the reds for his best score ever, and he also used his new to him R7 Quad driver and TM hybrid. He was pretty stoked and so was I, he even his a 225y drive with it. :)

Now onto my weekend lol. Last night I struck the ball well and shot a 39(+3) for the 9 holes. I liked the course son when I went back tonight I played it again. Well, I get there only to realize I had forgotten my putter at home lol. So I ended up borrowing a ladies putter from a bag that was stored on site, the fellow working dug it out for me. It was the only lefty one out of like 20 bags of clubs haha. It looked like a girls TM Rosie style(#9ish with the plumbers neck). Sooo, my confidence was knocked down a peg before I even started. Turns out, I rolled that putter really well actually. I played my way to a -1 going into hole 17. Then I fell apart, completely lost my swing and double pared the last two holes to finish at 80(+8).

So I decided to go around again. I managed to keep my head down and found my swing again and finished with my best round of golf ever. A 71(-1) to break par for the first time in my life. I know it's only sim golf and all but I have to say I'm feeling pretty proud right now :D

Oh, and I left $5 for the owner of the putter to buy a drink the next time they come in lol. They did contribute to my first sub par round and all :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

I also figured out the difference between when I hit a 290y drive and a 260y drive. I spent some time comparing swing videos between my longest drives and ones the we're close to my normal. Here's the difference I found. The first picture is of my longest recorded sim drive of 292y yards, I took the picture at the very top of my backswing. The second picture is of a 262y drive, note the difference of where the club is at the top of my swing. So I guess if I want to hit it farther, I just have to bring the club back farther plain and simple. More testing is definitely going to be required :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Congrats on that first under par round!! I had my first last summer in Scottsdale, and I must say it messes with your mind. Granted, you were farther under par than I was at any point so you probably got the brain going early. I went out and shot +2 (38) on the front, and then on the back I went nuts and shot -3 (33) including a round saving birdie on 18. Once I was -3 on the back (13th hole) I started to think about the under par score .. and went bogey-bogey. That snaps your mind back into place and I see you had the same set of holes. :)

Fun with swings ... I found a while back that in this last year I have not been as long off the tee as in the past. In Scottsdale (2013) I had about 10 drives over 300 yards (one was 345, but the fairway was "hard") ... and probably 15 snap hooks in that same stretch. The key to the distance for me was the release of the clubhead... just letting it go. When my timing was on that ball WENT. When I was off, that ball WENT LEFT and hard! You could hear the ball quacking as it flew... DUCK HOOK!!!

Now my irons are about 10 yards longer and I am not striking the ball well (at least up to my injury) which means I have found more clubhead speed in the irons, but not in the woods. That was proven with the Mizuno fitting when the previous year (2013) I was 88mph clubhead speed and this last year I was 92-94 with the same 6 iron. I have actually shortened up my swing a bit and lost a tad in the SS (about 90-92) but seem to be hitting the ball more square. The driver now has become the club where I'm missing the sweet spot and losing yardage instead of the irons ... I hate this game. :)

Not sure if I am seeing this right, but if you notice in the upper picture it seems that your club is better pointed down the target line than the bottom where the head appears to be closed. Also, in the bottom it looks like you might still have your weight on the front foot and a bit less turn versus the top picture.

Keep up the bombs and you will be consistently down in the 70's hitting shorter irons into irons. As for me... I might make the idiotic mistake of swinging a club soon and just dealing with pain. I am sick of warming the bench. :)

Great round, Pigs. I'd say I'm jealous (ok I am) but I'll be playing for real tomorrow and Tuesday in what looks like around 13*C and mostly sunny, at least for tomorrow. I'll take breaking 90 right now. Keep up the good work. So when I get to NS at some point you get to spot the old f**t a stroke a hole. :taunt:

Well done Pige!

Guys I may just happen to "see" and "feel" things a little differently. For the sake of fun convo I'll toss this one out there. Have always been a bit curious about something. Some take it back like John Daly and others are the opposite. What differences could be tied to actual distance and how far back we take the club? I've seen fellas execute what looks for all the world to be a 3/4 swing with a 6 iron and hit it 185 yards... and not appear to be swinging out or their shoes to do so.

Here is about I've been able to come up with.

Three concepts can get jumbled up very easily and collide with each other - "longer', "wider" and "release".

Going to the top - it seems to me a golfer "can" land the hands and handle a little farther from his head and target...OR....land the hands and handle closer to the head To me, this is "width". If he turns without swaying or artificially rounds the shoulders - he has plenty or backswing "width".

Some golfers seem more comfortable with a higher arm flow and never feel like the wrists are cocked until the clubshaft goes past parallel. Many do this and its OK for some. That swing often makes up for a little lack of width by adding length.

To my eye - the magic happens when the release of the club through impact is born of a golfer's individual length and width. If its handsy and flippy - so be it so ling as its timed consistently. If the hands are more passive then the body is probably turning more and that swing has a nice balance of width AND length.

Bottom line - to me longer knockers with shorter swings have ample width (and are very "turn" minded. Their release is more about unhinging the wrists versus heavy amounts of hand or arm action through the strike. Longer knockers with the Lots of length probably spend more time focusing on arm flow and hand action.

What should YOU guys do with this post????? That part is simple....

LAUGH YOUR BUTTS OFF at a guy who felt compelled to flop this nonsense at you as though you are incapable of thinking for yourselves.

LOL!!!!

Its the ONLY way I can come up with for explaining HOW John Daly and Steve Striker could BOTH be tour players.

[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1425838046' post='11102563']
Its the ONLY way I can come up with for explaining HOW John Daly and Steve Striker could BOTH be tour players.
[/quote]

Great post.

Re the last line (quoted) - I'd add that neither of those two guys overthink it and they feel they are keeping it simple for what works [u]for them[/u].

We amateurs tend to forget that. Or maybe just don't know what works for us, or what we are really doing for that matter.

Case in point. I went for a chipping lesson refresher today. Before the lesson I was watching a Stricker YouTube, thinking I needed to get more like his forward position on low chips as all of a sudden my chips were all over the map and chunky or thin.

Nope. Mostly I wasn't committing to take a small divot past the ball and head was falling back. And wasn't closing the face enough. My coach is of the hooded face, back in stance chip philsophy, and it has worked well for a few years for me. Anyway after some garbage, got comfy, holed one, lipped a couple, most were around the hole with GW through 55 and 60. Then I moved the ball forward for crisp pitches, varied heights and distances, making sure of my impact point. I'm excited again. Bring it on (playing tomorrow)!!!

[b]BTW He gave me a great chip/pitch drill. Put a tee at an angle just past the ball and make that the impact target. [/b]

John Daly had a full swing special on Golf Channel a while back and explained that the length of his swing was a timing move and not a power move. He was showing that he keeps the same basic length of swing while slowing down and speeding up his move through the ball in order to control distance. I sort of do this but nowhere near as well as he does. Every time I shorten way up (say half or 3/4 swing) my timing goes to hell and I come up out of the ball. Kinda funny to watch a 2 'capper hit a laser 20 yards over the green from 80 yards out into the wind... just ask my cousin who needles me on in every time I do it. :)

I would just like to say thank you to all you guys for all the help and encouragement over the past 8 months, I don't think I could have reached this personal goal without your guys help and support. So thank you very much to all of you for the help and encouragement along the way here, i really appreciate :D

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Pigs,

Congratulations on your first sub par sim round. It's going to be interesting to see how all of this winter work pays dividends in the spring.

On that note . . .

It is +8* Celsius in Windsor and it feels balmy outside.

So excited to see the Wager come to a close, and Mother Nature reward us with a beautiful spring.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

On an equipment note: The refinished Machine should be in the mail tomorrow. I'm looking forward to rolling a few putts indoors before the greens are exposed.

Fabulous experience dealing with Team Machine once again.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Most important news: My first Peanut turns 5 today. I vividly remember the first time I held him in my arms. It was as if nothing else mattered in the world.

Nice to clear the clutter and focus attention on what's important.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1425931851' post='11109977']
Most important news: My first Peanut turns 5 today. I vividly remember the first time I held him in my arms. It was as if nothing else mattered in the world.

Nice to clear the clutter and focus attention on what's important.
[/quote]

Make sure to tell the little Peanut Happy Birthday from Mr. Pigems, 5 is a big day for the little fella :D

I'm glad you got the machine fixed up, have you seen pictures of the refinished putter yet??

Also, TY for the kind world's sir. I'm very curious as to how it will transfer outdoors as well :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2