2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

The Wager...

Pigems

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pigs,

happy to read that the goal had been accomplished. I suspect I'd be in the same 'boat' at that yardage. I look forward to the rundown.

I did not fair so well this morning. Was afflicted by a case of the hosel rockets after the 8th hole and the next 19 holes were painful. I posted good score given the fact that I shanked every full swing iron and a few pitches after a solid start. The real shame is that I'm driving the ball incredibly well and am shaking over a full swing from 100 yards. It got so bad that I told my regular partner that I was going to take a hiatus from the game, but after a 20 minute cool down I chose to book a lesson on Tuesday instead. I've never felt so close and yet so far. I need to see the outdoors soon.

To end with a positive . . .

I returned home to a soon to be 5 year old who doesn't care that I'm battling the hosel rockets. We played in his room for an hour and had lunch together. Perspective my friends.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1425144577' post='11047591']
Thanks Bick, I was pretty satisfied with my round. The Piglet is 13(14 in Dec), he's my main golf buddy :)
[/quote]

Good for you Pige,

My Dad took me to the course a few times a year as a kid, but we didn't have a lot of spare cash for golf so I never really learned a proper golf swing. I probably could've played on my high school team, but wanted to run track, and did all 4 years. (yup only took me 4 years to graduate, amazing right?)

I guess my point is, you're teaching him a skill he can use for the rest of his life for recreation. I waited until I was in my 40's to try to learn a proper swing, and am still working on it at 52. I wouldn't trade the time on the football and track team for anything but, I doubt that I could win many 100 Yd. dashes anymore, and if I was dumb enough to put on pads couldn't cover my Mom if she was playing wide receiver.

My daughter is 11 and has some interest in golf. Not gonna push her, but she does have a kids set, and will play 6 or so holes when I take her to the course, before she starts doing back hand springs in the fairway.

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1425147717' post='11047895']
Pigs,

happy to read that the goal had been accomplished. I suspect I'd be in the same 'boat' at that yardage. I look forward to the rundown.

I did not fair so well this morning. Was afflicted by a case of the hosel rockets after the 8th hole and the next 19 holes were painful. I posted good score given the fact that I shanked every full swing iron and a few pitches after a solid start. The real shame is that I'm driving the ball incredibly well and am shaking over a full swing from 100 yards. It got so bad that I told my regular partner that I was going to take a hiatus from the game, but after a 20 minute cool down I chose to book a lesson on Tuesday instead. I've never felt so close and yet so far. I need to see the outdoors soon.

I returned home to a soon to be 5 year old who doesn't care that I'm battling the hosel rockets. We played in his room for an hour and had lunch together. Perspective my friends.
[/quote]

Sorry bout the HR's P Daddy,

Had em before, playing with my CEO and his buddies for about 5 holes. I finally realized, my hips were turning way ahead of my upper body and arms and fixed it after a lot of fussin and cussin. Everybody hits one every now and then, but the ones that repeat are the worst. Hope they go away man.

Pigs,

[/quote]

Indeed, ending with a positive. Q? Do you wear golf shoes when on the Sim? Wondering if the hoselrockets could be as simple a thing as diff height and not choking down. Of course i'm no swing guru and grasping at straws.

Weird, I don't know why I thought it was such a long course. It only adds up to 6844 yards, I'm not sure why I thought it was so much longer before. My bad lol.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Michael C.' timestamp='1425166092' post='11049625']
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1425154666' post='11048575']
Weird, I don't know why I thought it was such a long course. It only adds up to 6844 yards, I'm not sure why I thought it was so much longer before. My bad lol.
[/quote]

6844 is plenty long Piges. Nice round!!
[/quote]

Oh yes, but I thought it was 7600 or 7900 for some reason lol. I must have been told 6900 and misheard. 6800 is still over my comfort zone but definitely not as much as 7900 would be lol.

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Pigs,

[/quote]

I like your attitude PD. In turn, I sympathize with your plight on the hosel rockets. Glad to hear you
scheduled a lesson. I've gotten mad about hitting all different kinds of bad shots but when you hit
THEM shots.....well.....Have you ever seen a grown man cry??? I've said it before, you'll get passed
them and regain confidence and be fine. It's all about finding your error and correcting it. Good luck to
you, my friend, and good luck with your lesson.

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1425166426' post='11049657']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh yes, but I thought it was 7600 or 7900 for some reason lol. I must have been told 6900 and misheard. 6800 is still over my comfort zone but definitely not as much as 7900 would be lol.
[/quote]

If you really want to play a course that long, I know a guy that lives in Alabama that says if I break 100 on his course from
the tips (7800yds) I can eat and drink on his dime.

Conrad? I may have a 4th for our round....LOL

[/quote]

The yardage is deceiving Many doglegs, forced carries, and water in play off the tee. Not a course that I'd want to tackle frequently. I always enjoy a 450 yard + par 4 and a 230 yard + par 3. A driver in play on both tee boxes for this young pup.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='Michael C.' timestamp='1425166728' post='11049687']
Pigs,

[/quote]

I like your attitude PD. In turn, I sympathize with your plight on the hosel rockets. Glad to hear you
scheduled a lesson. I've gotten mad about hitting all different kinds of bad shots but when you hit
THEM shots.....well.....Have you ever seen a grown man cry??? I've said it before, you'll get passed
them and regain confidence and be fine. It's all about finding your error and correcting it. Good luck to
[/quote]

Here's how bad it got Michael . . . .

I came to a par 3 (12 hosel rockets in my pocket to that point) needing 135 yards of carry to reach a green that was guarded by water in front and to the right. I shanked three straight shots into the water to the right of the green. The last a 6 iron that I tried to punch onto the green. In desperation I teed up the 4th shot and hit a bunt driver 140 yards to the left side of the green. I was beginning to lose my mind and couldn't conceive of another way to clear the hazard. My playing partner confided that he thought I was going to hit a 'bomb' over the green and 'rage quit'.

To my partner's credit he posted a 69 on a tough Myrtle Beach course while I was imploding from the fairway. I was impressed with his ability to stay focused. Often times we both play to the level of our competition and today he didn't let my stink rub off on him. Really proud of his efforts.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. This too shall pass.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1425166924' post='11049723']
[/quote]

The yardage is deceiving Many doglegs, forced carries, and water in play off the tee. Not a course that I'd want to tackle frequently. I always enjoy a 450 yard + par 4 and a 230 yard + par 3. A driver in play on both tee boxes for this young pup.
[/quote]

Me either lol. I was told by James that the owner of Golfzon(Su) has played this particular course in real life. That would definitely be an experience and a half :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

PD hang in there. Stay positive like you did with your little one. I'm also suffering a little from skulled pitches and long chips with PW. You are not alone. Walk the PD zen path.

So Nuggets is back and in the lead with $0 above his avatar. Now where is Golf64?

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1425168222' post='11049841']
[quote name='Michael C.' timestamp='1425166728' post='11049687']
Pigs,

[/quote]

[/quote]

Here's how bad it got Michael . . . .

I came to a par 3 (12 hosel rockets in my pocket to that point) needing 135 yards of carry to reach a green that was guarded by water in front and to the right. I shanked three straight shots into the water to the right of the green. The last a 6 iron that I tried to punch onto the green. In desperation I teed up the 4th shot and hit a bunt driver 140 yards to the left side of the green. I was beginning to lose my mind and couldn't conceive of another way to clear the hazard. My playing partner confided that he thought I was going to hit a 'bomb' over the green and 'rage quit'.

To my partner's credit he posted a 69 on a tough Myrtle Beach course while I was imploding from the fairway. I was impressed with his ability to stay focused. Often times we both play to the level of our competition and today he didn't let my stink rub off on him. Really proud of his efforts.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. This too shall pass.
[/quote]

You will beat this PD, I know you will. You work way to hard at this not to, I have faith sir. By the time outdoor golf starts you won't even remember the word Hosel Rocket :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

I will commiserate PD. I've gone thru spells of hitting wipes. When
that has happened I literally could not play. Every shot was a ground
ball 45 degrees to the right.

Some talk about the "hands" with the golf swing. I can't go there. I
MUST let my rotation square the clubface. If I even think about pulling
the handle it's all over.

You'll get it figured out. It took me some time and an understanding
of my tendencies. On the positive side you'll learn much about your
own tendencies and how to overcome them.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

[quote name='Michael C.' timestamp='1425166901' post='11049719']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you really want to play a course that long, I know a guy that lives in Alabama that says if I break 100 on his course from

[/quote]

I would gladly do the same for Pigs. Round on me and food and drinks
after......only it would cost Pigs a small fortune to get here, lol. I'm gonna
start calling you guys the "tipsters" if you wanna play from the tips... :D

BTW, the PGA Tour has a new event at RTJ here opposite the British Open
in July. They're gonna play the Lake course at Grand National. I live about
halfway between Grand National and Capitol Hill. I've played the Lake
course many times. Gonna be curious the yardage they play at, though it's
hard to keep track cause they're gonna move the tees and pins daily.

This new event is called the Barbasol Open or something like that, lol.

SHAVING CREAM!!

SLED Gemini

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am pretty sure I know what course you are referring to. I played in Huntsville area and at Muscle Shoals... The "Fighting' Joe" course is 8091 from the tips and PROS have issues breaking 90 from the tips in the annual "Halloween All-Black Tourney."

BTW: If you want to take him up on the challenge, talk him into the tips at Hampton Cove - River Course. It's 7668 from the tips but the fairways are hard and fast so the ball gets out there. No traps on the whole course, but water on 16 of 18 holes. The caveat would be that the greens are also evil and a couple of forced carries are over 230 and only 1 par 3 under 200 yards. :)

http://www.rtjgolf.com/scorecards/ <--- check these out at your own risk. "The Shoals - Fighting' Joe" has the longest par 5 I have ever played at 716 yards ... into the wind and with a LAKE in front of the green. Just suck up the bogey unless you can bomb one 300 into the wind and enjoy the beauty.

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1425208208' post='11052307']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am pretty sure I know what course you are referring to. I played in Huntsville area and at Muscle Shoals... The "Fighting' Joe" course is 8091 from the tips and PROS have issues breaking 90 from the tips in the annual "Halloween All-Black Tourney."

BTW: If you want to take him up on the challenge, talk him into the tips at Hampton Cove - River Course. It's 7668 from the tips but the fairways are hard and fast so the ball gets out there. No traps on the whole course, but water on 16 of 18 holes. The caveat would be that the greens are also evil and a couple of forced carries are over 230 and only 1 par 3 under 200 yards. :)

[url="http://www.rtjgolf.com/scorecards/"]http://www.rtjgolf.com/scorecards/[/url] <--- check these out at your own risk. "The Shoals - Fighting' Joe" has the longest par 5 I have ever played at 716 yards ... into the wind and with a LAKE in front of the green. Just suck up the bogey unless you can bomb one 300 into the wind and enjoy the beauty.
[/quote]

I've never played the Huntsville or Birmingham RTJs. One of these days
cause I want to get in ALL of them.

I have played Fighting Joe and School Master but that was years ago. I
remember they were both over 8000 from the tips at that time. We
played from the orange which is max for us. I always liked the name of
those 2 courses, lol.

MC was referring to The Judge at Capitol Hill. I told him I'd pay for his
round and all he could eat and drink after if he could break 100 from
the tips.

SLED Gemini

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1425229303' post='11053731']

those 2 courses, lol.

the tips.
[/quote]

Took a look at the course from the website and I can see 4 holes that are pretty much guaranteed to be a "bogey or worse" but that is based on wind, weather, and how hard the turf is on the fairways out there. I found the Trail courses to all be REALLY different from one to another in the roll in fairways. Hampton Cove courses are really a hard bounce, and the greens are completely different from one course to the other in speed, type of grass, and even the speeds. I literally have no idea what grass is used on the greens on the River course... it is NOTHING I have ever played before. Broad leaf, really grainy, and not bent/bermuda/tiff dwarf... and the ball refuses to hold a line. Someone suggested they might be bluegrass, but since I have never seen bluegrass before I wouldn't know. The Shoals is a bit softer in the fairways and in the greens, but the greens still hold their line and good speed.

I want to win the lottery and head back to play all the courses, but NOT during spinning wind season! I'll stick to summer heat and storms over the spring. Had a tornado miss my hotel by about 12 miles and my worksite by 3 miles while I was there. I was planning to head to B-ham to play one of the courses down there and the weather report was "tornadic activity warned" so I stayed in HSV. Planned to check out Mississippi back in April, but cancelled that after a tornado went through the town I wanted to visit (Tupelo) and trashed it. Didn't feel right about being a tourist right after a tragedy even if I would have been putting money back into their economy.

FYI: For everyone out there, if you sign up with Pinehurst to receive their offers, they had a GREAT offer for a Pinehurst stay this spring... $340/night at the Carolina includes your food (breakfast and dinner) and a round of golf. Too bad it is 34 degrees there right now and I am broke. I would be there on the next available flight! That is about what I payed for golf around the 4th of July in 2012!

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1425255103' post='11056677']
[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1425229303' post='11053731']

those 2 courses, lol.

the tips.
[/quote]

Took a look at the course from the website and I can see 4 holes that are pretty much guaranteed to be a "bogey or worse" but that is based on wind, weather, and how hard the turf is on the fairways out there. I found the Trail courses to all be REALLY different from one to another in the roll in fairways. Hampton Cove courses are really a hard bounce, and the greens are completely different from one course to the other in speed, type of grass, and even the speeds. I literally have no idea what grass is used on the greens on the River course... it is NOTHING I have ever played before. Broad leaf, really grainy, and not bent/bermuda/tiff dwarf... and the ball refuses to hold a line. Someone suggested they might be bluegrass, but since I have never seen bluegrass before I wouldn't know. The Shoals is a bit softer in the fairways and in the greens, but the greens still hold their line and good speed.

I want to win the lottery and head back to play all the courses, but NOT during spinning wind season! I'll stick to summer heat and storms over the spring. Had a tornado miss my hotel by about 12 miles and my worksite by 3 miles while I was there. I was planning to head to B-ham to play one of the courses down there and the weather report was "tornadic activity warned" so I stayed in HSV. Planned to check out Mississippi back in April, but cancelled that after a tornado went through the town I wanted to visit (Tupelo) and trashed it. Didn't feel right about being a tourist right after a tragedy even if I would have been putting money back into their economy.

FYI: For everyone out there, if you sign up with Pinehurst to receive their offers, they had a GREAT offer for a Pinehurst stay this spring... $340/night at the Carolina includes your food (breakfast and dinner) and a round of golf. Too bad it is 34 degrees there right now and I am broke. I would be there on the next available flight! That is about what I payed for golf around the 4th of July in 2012!
[/quote]

Gaucho, was that for the #2 course? That would be a great deal. One
guy here went there for 3 days and played 3 or 4 courses with one round
on #2. Cost him 2K. That was about 4 years ago, I think. It ain't worth
that much to me, lol. I'm a poor sap.

SLED Gemini

I ended up with a total of $1000 for my trip to Pinehurst (2 nights at $350 or something like that + taxes, $170 upcharge for #2, caddy fees for #2, round on #7, and an extra round of golf on #3 for $25). That rate might even be on the website these days, but usually for "double occupancy" and #2 is ALWAYS an upcharge unless you play the "evergreen" season (i.e. really freakin cold Nov-Feb) and there is a deal. Sadly, the charge for #2 and the caddy fees have gone up a bit.

Oh yeah, I also had a couple bag tags made and bought some shirts while there. If you time it right in the summer, I got there for a 60-80% off sale and got 3 hats for $15 instead of $15-20 each. :) Still wear the wide brim on the course even if it has seen better days. (When I was in NC, I was a 2 hour drive from Pinehurst at my work site. I drove over to buy the hats and shirts a couple weeks before my trip ... and to scout the resort)

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1425256235' post='11056841']
I ended up with a total of $1000 for my trip to Pinehurst (2 nights at $350 or something like that + taxes, $170 upcharge for #2, caddy fees for #2, round on #7, and an extra round of golf on #3 for $25). That rate might even be on the website these days, but usually for "double occupancy" and #2 is ALWAYS an upcharge unless you play the "evergreen" season (i.e. really freakin cold Nov-Feb) and there is a deal. Sadly, the charge for #2 and the caddy fees have gone up a bit.

Oh yeah, I also had a couple bag tags made and bought some shirts while there. If you time it right in the summer, I got there for a 60-80% off sale and got 3 hats for $15 instead of $15-20 each. :) Still wear the wide brim on the course even if it has seen better days. (When I was in NC, I was a 2 hour drive from Pinehurst at my work site. I drove over to buy the hats and shirts a couple weeks before my trip ... and to scout the resort)
[/quote]

You got that for half of what he did, lol. Good on you!

SLED Gemini

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1425257206' post='11056959']
[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1425256235' post='11056841']

[/quote]

You got that for half of what he did, lol. Good on you!
[/quote]

I had a special "4th of July" offer they were giving at the time. I called and spoke with the site and got all the information I would need and booked it about 4 days before heading over. They were running the "North South" at the time so #4 and #8 were closed to guests (they were the courses in use at the time for the tourney. I ended up getting 3, 7, then 2 for my order and record temperatures were set all 3 days. 105, 107, and 105 on the 3 days I played and it rained every afternoon. Gotta love North Carolina weather. :)

I want to go back and avenge my scores on those courses (#3 =82 with 1 birdie, #7=90 ... nope, #2=84 birdied 18 with a 2 foot putt)... and I know I can do better. I won't be afraid of the greens on #2 and miss ALL 9 on the front side trying too hard to hit them (stupid swing thought = "hit a green, stupid!"), I will avoid the rough on #7 as that stuff is thick and evil, and on #3 I will play it smarter.

For a classic short course, #3 was an amazing course to play but with SLOW (i.e. "resort" speed) greens. #7 is just evil in all ways with narrow fairways and thick rough and it plays 200 yards LONGER than the card shows due to every green being uphill... most considerably uphill. #2 is just everything you think it will be and if your mind can imagine a shot, you will probably need it. I was over the green on #5 or 6 and hit an 8 iron bump and run down into the valley, up the slope, and onto the green giving me a chance for par. Obviously, I missed the putt... but still. :) The other thing with #2 that surprised me is how much elevation change there really is on that course. I thought it would be much flatter than it was even after playing video golf on the course a few times in my life.

Oh well, back to trying to win the lottery ... or get another job site in the Raleigh area so I can drive over. If nothing else, I want to bring my putter and tackle "Thistle Dhu" the putting course.

[quote name='BicknellCC' timestamp='1425148378' post='11047961']
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1425144577' post='11047591']
Thanks Bick, I was pretty satisfied with my round. The Piglet is 13(14 in Dec), he's my main golf buddy :)
[/quote]

Good for you Pige,

My Dad took me to the course a few times a year as a kid, but we didn't have a lot of spare cash for golf so I never really learned a proper golf swing. I probably could've played on my high school team, but wanted to run track, and did all 4 years. (yup only took me 4 years to graduate, amazing right?)

I guess my point is, you're teaching him a skill he can use for the rest of his life for recreation. I waited until I was in my 40's to try to learn a proper swing, and am still working on it at 52. I wouldn't trade the time on the football and track team for anything but, I doubt that I could win many 100 Yd. dashes anymore, and if I was dumb enough to put on pads couldn't cover my Mom if she was playing wide receiver.

[b]My daughter is 11 and has some interest in golf. Not gonna push her, but she does have a kids set, and will play 6 or so holes when I take her to the course, before she starts doing back hand springs in the fairway.[/b]
[/quote]

That's what passing the game on is all about...