No new acquistions...?

[quote name='fluffy265' timestamp='1440294204' post='12191604']
I thought some you might like this little impulse buy of mine from a few weeks ago.....

[attachment=2919658:FMSET.jpg]

J
[/quote]

Golden Rams! The ultimate gift to us from the Golf Gods! :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

MacGregor mini-haul. M43s...

[attachment=2920378:P8091295.JPG]

[attachment=2920392:P8091294.JPG]

Tommy Armour 693s...

[attachment=2920402:P8091303.JPG]

[attachment=2920410:P8091302.JPG]

And Super Eye-O-Matics...

[attachment=2920412:P8091301.JPG]

[attachment=2920424:P8091300.JPG]

All re-finished, all re-gripped, only 693s have original shafts, and the M43s have newer inserts with five screws, so didn't pay a lot for them and will be good playing clubs. As I was walking out with this lot under my arm, the guy said "You realise twenty-five years ago you would have had about three grand's worth of clubs under your arm?". I told him I did, bid him good day and skipped off to my car having parted with less cash than I would have paid for a putter nowadays. Haven't ripped him off mind you! Not all original and a few dinks here and there, as you can see on the toe and front of the sole-plate of the 693 driver.

Can't tell the model of the Supers, but similar size heads to my M85s. Big wide faces and the crazy big inserts. Quick radical clubs compared to the more classical 693s and M43s when you sit them next to each other.

Will eventually get around to re-doing myself, but all good playing clubs until then once I clean up the sole-plates.

And once I have cleaned off the tee flashes from the previous owner. Look at those things! Fore right! FORE RIGHT!

Everything's relative eh? Based on what you guys post, this would seem like an average day at a thrift shop...

Here, on the other hand, this is the result of playing with a mate of mine from college who was asking about the persimmons I was using, he then mentioned it to someone he played with the following day, who said he might know someone with some persimmon, so I got a text, then called and dropped by to check them out, left an offer as he was actually selling them for someone else, he called the seller, he then called me, I called the guy, left a message, he e-mailed back, then I dropped by to pick them up. The thrill is in the chase eh?

Must be what it must have been like some years ago to track down decent persimmon and, yes, I've got decent persimmon, but not after jumping through more than the odd hoop.

So is it all worth it? Why am I even asking you? If you're reading this, you're someone who would have done the same.

Those look like some dandies Jonny!!! Most definately, the thrill of the pursuit is almost as much fun as playing them. And by your description, that was quite a hunt. Sniffing out classic/vintage clubs........that's what we do here. But if you're reading this, ya already know that. ?

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='jonnygrouville' timestamp='1440357403' post='12194440']

Tommy Armour 693s...

All re-finished, all re-gripped, only 693s have original shafts, and the M43s have newer inserts with five screws, so didn't pay a lot for them and will be good playing clubs. As I was walking out with this lot under my arm, the guy said "You realise twenty-five years ago you would have had about three grand's worth of clubs under your arm?". I told him I did, bid him good day and skipped off to my car having parted with less cash than I would have paid for a putter nowadays. Haven't ripped him off mind you! Not all original and a few dinks here and there, as you can see on the toe and front of the sole-plate of the 693 driver.

Can't tell the model of the Supers, but similar size heads to my M85s. Big wide faces and the crazy big inserts. Quick radical clubs compared to the more classical 693s and M43s when you sit them next to each other.

Will eventually get around to re-doing myself, but all good playing clubs until then once I clean up the sole-plates.

And once I have cleaned off the tee flashes from the previous owner. Look at those things! Fore right! FORE RIGHT!
[/quote]

Very nice haul! Not so many places to get great persimmons in bulk! I am actually refinishing a Macgregor Super Tourney M85W driver as we speak! Insert is huge and looks so far to have turned out good..

CC

[quote name='jonnygrouville' timestamp='1440358575' post='12194500']
Everything's relative eh? Based on what you guys post, this would seem like an average day at a thrift shop...

Here, on the other hand, this is the result of playing with a mate of mine from college who was asking about the persimmons I was using, he then mentioned it to someone he played with the following day, who said he might know someone with some persimmon, so I got a text, then called and dropped by to check them out, left an offer as he was actually selling them for someone else, he called the seller, he then called me, I called the guy, left a message, he e-mailed back, then I dropped by to pick them up. The thrill is in the chase eh?

Must be what it must have been like some years ago to track down decent persimmon and, yes, I've got decent persimmon, but not after jumping through more than the odd hoop.

So is it all worth it? Why am I even asking you? If you're reading this, you're someone who would have done the same.
[/quote]

Great haul. Love the idea of getting matching 2 and 4 woods. Driver and spoon is so meh, but throw in a brassie and a baffy and you have a proper set of woods. Like having fish knives and coffee spoons in your cutlery drawer.

[quote name='fluffy265' timestamp='1440294204' post='12191604']
I thought some you might like this little impulse buy of mine from a few weeks ago.....

[attachment=2919658:FMSET.jpg]

J
[/quote]

Fluffy-

Found a set of RH Golden Ram Tour Grind Irons like this. 2-9, with Sand Wedge,

Total Cost- Less than 8 dollars.

This set of Hogan Directors I also found a Goodwill in IL was less than $30.

[attachment=2920706:DSCN6809.JPG]

Stixman has them.

Cheers guys, I haven't spent much that time with the Rams yet, currently they have stock Brunswick 5.5's in them, however I can't resist testing them out with some Brunswick 7.3's I have....

J

P.s. I love those 693's Johnny!

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie", a TM6? or maybe an 8802 today....

Always a Mizuno chap growing up, so never tried any Rams. Nowadays, if I saw some of those crazy Axials at the right price, would go for them. Like Wilson's goosenecks, for iron design, a bit "out there".

Difficult to say what else I would pick beyond the M43s and 693s for classic MacGregors. Probably marginally prefer the sweepback sole-plates of the latter.

Just the condition that lets these down, but, as I said, this just means I will play them and didn't pay very much, so probably a blessing in disguise. The guy must have had an issue with the two wood as the other three Tommy Armours have been re-finished. Surely the two wood is an easier driver not a more difficult fairway wood?

Anyway. The driver, three and four have been re-finished with a slightly redder stain, whilst the two wood looks to be closer to the original kind of dark walnut. Also looks like the crown stamp re-etching was done by someone after a long liquid lunch...

Jonny,
I find the two wood to be exceptional both off the tee and the turf. Have three different twos, SEOM m85w, Hogan Speedslot, and the old Spalding Bob Jones, and when carrying light they do double duty.
Also, the Wilson Goosenecks, if you find vintage instead of remake is a very good club indeed. I found the remake heads a bit too cartoonish.

I have been out of the 'game' for a while, but couldn't resist an ebay purchase today. I've wanted a set of Fernquist & Johnson Golden Gate irons for a while and found a 2-PW set on the bay'. I submitted an offer and they are on their way to me. I'll post some pictures once they arrive.....you can't get much more squared toed than these irons.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

Picked these up today while I was out looking for some golf bags. Iron set of 3 thru 9 with matching numbers. Couldn't resist.

Are these pre or post Power/Bilt? I am assuming pre.

Not familiar with them so any information will be greatly appreciated.

Markings Head: Levelume, Bobby Nichols, HB, Louisville, Register BN8263R

Shaft Bands: Grand Slam MARS

001_zpspfa5f7ir.jpg

002_zpsqckyem1s.jpg

003_zpsvl4shcsj.jpg

004_zpswh1ueetw.jpg

006_zpsvyeoujqj.jpg

007_zpsrlij0wj0.jpg

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Those Bobby Nichol's irons are from 1965 and were an H&B storeline set. Powerbilt was being made at the same time and was the proline model of course.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

Some pictures to follow, but thanks to fluffy265 (who you all know) and the local auction site in these parts, I now have cluttering up my shed a full set of PING Karsten IIs -
1,3,5 woods with PING X-100 shafts (from fluffy265 for $0) and 2-SW with ZZ-Lites for about USD32. All in sweet condition. Also picked up a Spalding Touring Pro Model TPM II putter for approx USD6.75. Haven't used it in anger yet, but feels great putting up and down the hallway!

[quote name='Woodridge' timestamp='1440624858' post='12214166']
Those Bobby Nichol's irons are from 1965 and were an H&B storeline set. Powerbilt was being made at the same time and was the proline model of course.
[/quote]
although they were the store line clubs,m they were, in some years, pretty similar in price to the PowerBilts. Maybe less expensive shafts. And I think the woods do not have the signature brass back weighting of the PowerBilts. The Levelume is the chrome plating, I think. Pretty good quality stuff, btw.
I think I have a full set of woods and irons, in virtually unused condition, lurking in the garage. I will try to find them and post some pics. the back of the irons kind of reminds me of the earlier Hogans....
That ought to bring a fusillade of rebuttal from the Hoganistas and Hoganauts. But cover up the names and look at the shape of the muscle back, how it is cut away from the toe.
Uncle Bob

Ironmaster-

+1 ...

Hillerich and Bradsby (H&B) added the PowerBilt name in the 1930s.

H&B/PowerBilt had a lot of very underrated Levelume iron grindings, and this is one of them.

Bobby Nichols won the Carling World Open at Oakland Hills, as well as the PGA Championship.

Also try the Louisville Slugger irons from the mid-60s... Posted a photo of them long ago.

Earlier this year in a thrift store, there was a LH H&B Store line starter set of LH Gloria Ehrets for sale...

The forged head grind was one I had not seen...almost a combination of muscle/channel back.

Bella Woods will also testify to the H&B/PowerBilt name.

[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1440694814' post='12218874']
[/quote]
although they were the store line clubs,m they were, in some years, pretty similar in price to the PowerBilts. Maybe less expensive shafts. And I think the woods do not have the signature brass back weighting of the PowerBilts. The Levelume is the chrome plating, I think. Pretty good quality stuff, btw.
I think I have a full set of woods and irons, in virtually unused condition, lurking in the garage. I will try to find them and post some pics. the back of the irons kind of reminds me of the earlier Hogans....
That ought to bring a fuselage of rebuttal from the Hoganistas and Hoganauts. But cover up the names and look at the shape of the muscle back, how it is cut away from the toe.
Uncle Bob
[/quote]

I thought "Precision" copy as soon as I saw the backpad.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

[quote name='HoganApexBlades' timestamp='1440717220' post='12220920']
[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1440694814' post='12218874']
[/quote]
That ought to bring a fuselage of rebuttal from the Hoganistas and Hoganauts. But cover up the names and look at the shape of the muscle back, how it is cut away from the toe.
Uncle Bob
[/quote]

I thought "Precision" copy as soon as I saw the backpad.
[/quote]

Yep. No rebuttal necessary. Don't think there's any possibility of these predating the original Precisions...

Dang Nabbit!!!

OK, Gentlemen, cast your peepers on these for me, please? Could these play somewhat similar to the Hogans? I thought the muscle was too fat and too much material was removed at the toe, but darn if they don't look like those Bobby Nichols up above!

What say you?? (of course I NEED another set of irons, yah right :rolleyes: )

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilson-Patty-Berg-Iron-set-Golf-Club-with-matching-putter-/271960285445"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilson-Patty-Berg-Iron-set-Golf-Club-with-matching-putter-/271960285445[/url]

TIA!!!

:wave:

Kathy Marie

What are ya waiting for girl? Those are pretty darned sweet looking! I have no idea how they would play, but for that price I would be tempted to grab them for my wife, but alas, she is a southpaw.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

[quote name='jonnygrouville' timestamp='1440357403' post='12194440']

Tommy Armour 693s...

And once I have cleaned off the tee flashes from the previous owner. Look at those things

! Fore right! FORE RIGHT!

Here is my Macgregor SEOM driver post re-finish. Turned out pretty good overall..

CC
[/quote][attachment=2928630:image.jpg][attachment=2928632:image.jpg][attachment=2928634:image.jpg]

[quote name='Kathy Marie' timestamp='1440729108' post='12221948']
Dang Nabbit!!!

OK, Gentlemen, cast your peepers on these for me, please? Could these play somewhat similar to the Hogans? I thought the muscle was too fat and too much material was removed at the toe, but darn if they don't look like those Bobby Nichols up above!

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilson-Patty-Berg-Iron-set-Golf-Club-with-matching-putter-/271960285445"]http://www.ebay.com/...r-/271960285445[/url]

TIA!!!

Kathy Marie
[/quote]

Kathy, I saw those, too, and thought of you. They look really excellent, especially the leather grips. Only downside is no wedge, but for the condition and price - wow! Make an offer.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

[quote name='HoldenCornfield' timestamp='1440764153' post='12223206']
[quote name='Kathy Marie' timestamp='1440729108' post='12221948']
Dang Nabbit!!!

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilson-Patty-Berg-Iron-set-Golf-Club-with-matching-putter-/271960285445"]http://www.ebay.com/...r-/271960285445[/url]

TIA!!!

Kathy Marie
[/quote]

Kathy, I saw those, too, and thought of you. They look really excellent, especially the leather grips. Only downside is no wedge, but for the condition and price - wow! Make an offer.
[/quote]

Those are absolutely stunning! If they were Men's clubs and for that price, I would snatch them up without blinking! They remind me of my set of Hogan / Slazenger Precisions (which I love)..

CC