Moving to Denver area

lsutigerz2001

Hey everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself real quick. I am a 23 year old recent college grad from Wichita State University in Kansas who will be relocating to Denver for work. Despite being so close, I have never been to Denver besides a quick stop in the airport a few times. I know there are a couple topics on this, but I wanted to get a bit of advice from some locals in the area. My situation my be a little different being a young guy.

What are some of the better spots to live in the area? I don't have to live in Denver as my position will be home based. I need to be relatively close to the airport, I would say an hour at most, as I will be traveling frequently. Not so much concerned with cost right now as I would like to find the right area and then narrow it down from there.

Bars and Restaurants? I am coming in blind with no friends or connections in the area and am all ears for local spots. I appreciate a good meal or good atmosphere and like to have a good time. College football is right around the corner as well. I'm engaged, so that may limit some of the options, but still looking to go out and meet people.

Golf? That's what the board is for right. I can swing it pretty good and would be more than happy to meet up with some fellow WRXers to get exposure in the area. What are some of the better public courses? Any places with young executive memberships?

Hobbies? I'm an outdoor guy. Would love to get into some fishing, mountain biking, hiking, etc. in the area. Any websites for advice.

Lastly, anything else you would tell a newcomer from a local? Just trying to get an idea for the area. It's an exciting and intimidating time all at once. I will be without my fiance for a year and a half so that will be tough. Anything to make the transition easier would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Michael

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 28 and have been out here for about 4 years now and moved in a relatively similar situation that you did. You need to prioritize what is most important to you and your fiance. If social life (bars, restaurants, hanging out) is your top priority, I would choose Wash Park, The Highlands, or downtown loft. These are relatively expensive places to live and you will be spending some change. Golf will be relatively poor in these areas.

If the airport location is the most important to you, I would recommend Lowry, Green Valley Ranch, or potentially even Parker areas. You are going to get quite a bit more for your money but will definitely have the suburbs feel. These areas will have better access for golf courses as well.

If quality golf is your highest priority, I would recommend going further south and heading more towards highlands ranch, castle pines, castle rock area. I find these areas to have the nicest courses and it won't be quite as expensive as living in the heart of Denver.

Let me know what you're priorities/ budget looks like and I can help you a little further. Denver has great options but there won't be a perfect option.

-Jason

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Appreciate the advice Jason. Was just informed this weekend that they are going to hold off on the move until the first of the year buying me more time (I was supposed to be there Sept 3). I'll be heading out to Red Rocks in early October and will check out some of the areas you mentioned. Thanks for the advice.

Denver has a lot going for it honestly. One aspect to keep in mind, if you are looking to buy a place, better get looking early. The market here has picked up fast. Some of the better areas are now having bidding wars on places. Getting over asking price in most cases. Always about location.

Bar / Restaurants: Main focus is LODO (Lower Denver...down by Coors Field) Not all there as some great areas popping up. Colorado Ave / Colfax has some great food in the area now, years ago it was not a good area, now with urban renewal it is making a come back.

Golf is pretty good in most areas of the City. Each metro region has one or two great tracks. TheKrussh pointed out south, which might have the better group of courses depending on the courses you like. I moved out of south metro area ([i]Highlands Ranch[/i]) as it was just way to crowded. Castle Rock / Parker are nice areas but sometimes azz tough to get in and out of on I25 / 470.

I moved WAY east...I jokingly call it East Kansas. I used to travel a lot and from my current home I can get the airport with zero traffic in 15-18 minutes. Lucky I don't have to travel now. If you need an area that is nice and close to the airport with good golf... Look at the Saddle Rock / Tallyn's reach area. It is within 10-15 mins of 3 good courses and 20-25 mins to the area TheKrussh noted.

A little hard access to right down town though.

I live in about a mile north of Murphy Creek Golf course and about 3.0 miles from Green Valley. Both excellent tracks, very challenging, The Colorado Open is held at Green Valley every year and Murphy Creek held the US Pub Links championship a 5-6 years ago so top courses.

People, well almost everyone in Colorado are nice. Everyone just likes to enjoy being outside. Don't think you will have much issue meeting people.

[i]Edit: East side of Denver metro (area I noted and live) there is a Toll road.... E470....I swear it is the most expensive toll road in the US..!!![/i]

[quote name='Chile Dip Master' timestamp='1408591902' post='9977499']
Denver has a lot going for it honestly. One aspect to keep in mind, if you are looking to buy a place, better get looking early. The market here has picked up fast. Some of the better areas are now having bidding wars on places. Getting over asking price in most cases. Always about location.

Bar / Restaurants: Main focus is LODO (Lower Denver...down by Coors Field) Not all there as some great areas popping up. Colorado Ave / Colfax has some great food in the area now, years ago it was not a good area, now with urban renewal it is making a come back.

Golf is pretty good in most areas of the City. Each metro region has one or two great tracks. TheKrussh pointed out south, which might have the better group of courses depending on the courses you like. I moved out of south metro area ([i]Highlands Ranch[/i]) as it was just way to crowded. Castle Rock / Parker are nice areas but sometimes azz tough to get in and out of on I25 / 470.

I moved WAY east...I jokingly call it East Kansas. I used to travel a lot and from my current home I can get the airport with zero traffic in 15-18 minutes. Lucky I don't have to travel now. If you need an area that is nice and close to the airport with good golf... Look at the Saddle Rock / Tallyn's reach area. It is within 10-15 mins of 3 good courses and 20-25 mins to the area TheKrussh noted.

I live in about a mile north of Murphy Creek Golf course and about 3.0 miles from Green Valley. Both excellent tracks, very challenging, The Colorado Open is held at Green Valley every year and Murphy Creek held the US Pub Links championship a 5-6 years ago so top courses.

People, well almost everyone in Colorado are nice. Everyone just likes to enjoy being outside. Don't think you will have much issue meeting people.

[i]Edit: East side of Denver metro (area I noted and live) there is a Toll road.... E470....I swear it is the most expensive toll road in the US..!!![/i]
[/quote]

But one trip through Denver on I25 will make 470 seem like a bargain! My God, it is always busy, all the way to Fort Collins.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1408592876' post='9977575']
[quote name='Chile Dip Master' timestamp='1408591902' post='9977499']

[/quote]

But one trip through Denver on I25 will make 470 seem like a bargain! My God, it is always busy, all the way to Fort Collins.
[/quote]

LOL so true. Have projects in Loveland and get to drive it 2-3 times a week.

• 1 month later...

I am a Colorado native and a Real Estate broker. I would say it all depends on your priorities. PM me and let me know what you are looking for, I would be more than happy to give you some info. I do have to say.... Watch out, once you move here you won't want to live anywhere else. I have been all over the country and there is no place like home:)

• 5 months later...

I am going to resurrect this thread as my wife and I will be moving to denver from Florida in June. We don't know where we will be living yet, but are looking somewhere east of town (Lowry area, presumably) as work will be close to there.

Does anyone have any opinions on whether to join a club or stick with public golf? We are not sure how long we are going to be in the area so investing a lot on an initiation fee and such is out of the question. I like the idea of variety but having grown up in the DC area, those public rounds can take a long long time.

A good grass range and practice facility is important to me, almost more so than the course. Two places that seem nice and reasonable to me appear to be Green Valley Ranch and Commonground.

We are headed down in May to house hunt, and if that goes well hopefully have some time to look at some of the courses, although that's definitely second on the priority list.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts. Hopefully I'll be teeing it up with some of you guys soon! Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Denver... or soon to be.

I live about by Green Valley. Good course. Common Ground is also good. Just a bit south east of Green Valley is Murphy Creek which is a good course too. Another really good courses within 15/20 mins of Green Valley are Buffalo Run and Riverdale Dunes. The Dunes course is excellent and always in top condition.

Not sure I would honestly.... its tough to say. If your a range rat... like I get during the season, yea could save you on that aspect.

Though it is odd sounding, I don't think there is just "one" course I would want to play 80-90% of the time. The part I like most about golf is playing different courses. Don't get me wrong there has been one or two I would play all the time but NO WAY could I afford to join them...dues maybe.. .initiation fee.. prob not without a divorce LOL

If your looking at joining somewhere and looking for a decent location that is somewhat close look at here. The two courses are pretty good.. one was public for a long time. Have played them both many times. [url="http://www.clubcorp.com/Clubs/Blackstone-Black-Bear"]http://www.clubcorp....tone-Black-Bear[/url]

[i]EDIT: Pace of play is question that is hard to answer since both are public and offer yearly aspects. So it depends on when you are going to play. Weekends could be slow as both courses are pretty strong and can have people in trouble if not playing the right tee. You get better tee times but still you will get people out there. Common Ground is a great course honestly and I like it but I have played 5+ hour rounds as people who think they can hit 300+ yards play it from the tips and it kills them. I only play it from the tips when I have to in a tourney. If the wind is up..Tom Doak made it a tough one...[/i]

[i]EDIT 2: This may be the better link.. not sure on pricing though but you can select locally. Now if you travel it could be a good deal. [url="http://www.clubcorp.com/Clubs/Blackstone-Black-Bear/Membership/Membership-Types"]http://www.clubcorp.com/Clubs/Blackstone-Black-Bear/Membership/Membership-Types[/url][/i]

I hear you. I think joining would be mainly for the range and making some friends. I do like variety but being able to just go and hit balls or play 3 or 4 holes would be huge for me. Also scared of 6 hour rounds!

Definitely couldn't pay an initiation fee, but the 3k or so it seems for either sound reasonable, as again, for the above reasons.

I can't offer any help or advice other than to say congratulations! I visit Denver regularly on business and if I were a young professional in my 20's Denver would be one of a handful of cities on my wish list. Good luck with your adventure.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

[quote name='Chile Dip Master' timestamp='1427587604' post='11236865']

I live about by Green Valley. Good course. Common Ground is also good. Just a bit south east of Green Valley is Murphy Creek which is a good course too. Another really good courses within 15/20 mins of Green Valley are Buffalo Run and Riverdale Dunes. The Dunes course is excellent and always in top condition.
[/quote]

All good choices on the east side of town. I used to work in the Stapleton area and found that the Park Hill range was not a bad option for a quick bucket over lunch.

drn92

[quote name='drn92' timestamp='1427684884' post='11243089'][quote name='Chile Dip Master' timestamp='1427587604' post='11236865']

[/quote]

All good choices on the east side of town. I used to work in the Stapleton area and found that the Park Hill range was not a bad option for a quick bucket over lunch.

drn92[/quote]

Thanks! More helpful info, which is much appreciated. Anyone else care to chime in? Thanks in advance.

[quote name='poppyhillsguy' timestamp='1427919341' post='11263633']
What do you locals think of living in Erie and being close to Colorado National and Riverdale Dunes? Seems like Erie would be a good place to set-up camp.
[/quote]

Depends on where your job is located. Working downtown could be challenging given the I-25 traffic between Erie and Denver. Not sure about the commute into Boulder, probably not too bad. Interlochen commute would be pretty easy, and Denver Tech Center would be brutal.

Both courses are solid and there are a few others that would be fairly close.

drn92

[quote name='drn92' timestamp='1427922270' post='11263943']
[quote name='poppyhillsguy' timestamp='1427919341' post='11263633']
What do you locals think of living in Erie and being close to Colorado National and Riverdale Dunes? Seems like Erie would be a good place to set-up camp.
[/quote]

Depends on where your job is located. Working downtown could be challenging given the I-25 traffic between Erie and Denver. Not sure about the commute into Boulder, probably not too bad. Interlochen commute would be pretty easy, and Denver Tech Center would be brutal.

Both courses are solid and there are a few others that would be fairly close.

drn92
[/quote]

+1 on this. We started our company about 6-7 months ago and a partner had an office in Castle Rock... I live by Murphy Creek.... BRUTAL =)