Playing with my Dad

When my dad and I play I get so nervous. I hit the worst shots, make stupid desisions, and dont take my time. I feel like he is crytquing my game. I always beat him, even though I play like crud. I love him to death but he makes me so nervous. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so how do you deal with it.

thanks.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will only make you better if he makes you nervous. I was the same way in my 1st couple of H.S. golf matches. Don't play against him play against the course. Also, don't bring yourself down if you hit a bad shot just think of the next shot being an excellent one.

thanks, that is a good way to think about it.

It will make you a better player. My dad never played the game, he was physically battered from a couple of car accidents and couldn't play any sports. I lost him last year. Consider yourself lucky and enjoy every moment you spend with him.

Just remember this everytime you play no matter who you play with - Nobody else really cares how well or badly you play as long as you are good company on the course, have good manners, respect the game, it's rules and the golf course.

ha, you think playing golf with your dad is hard. Learning to drive a car with my dad is living hell

Thats funny. I have to start learing with my dad in about a year. :)

I know that I am going to sound like an old guy. Here goes my two cents. Enjoy it. He is there to support you. My Dad when growing up, was the typical "not good enough Dad". I played hockey for 13 years and was good enough to play in college. Not that that means anything but just so you have something to correlate my skills to. For most of my life he would criticize me after every game, even if I scored 4 goals and had 2 assists. I was a defenseman and he would find something that was deserving of a repremand. His repremands were alot harsher than most. Yelling, and sometimes extensive amounts of practice in the backyard were common solutions to my supposed "poor play".

So after that therapy session. Enjoy your golf with your Dad. Live in the moment and know that it is not going to last forever. Someday you will not get to enjoy that, show off, and show him what kind of game you have. If he hits first.....hit it 50 by him. Make him realize that you are great at what you do and you will soon not be nervous anymore. After all it is not you versus your dad, it is you versus the course and old man par.

Just some wisdom from a 34 year old golfer who enjoys the time that he gets to spend with his Dad knowing that he sweats my skills on the course, versus the time when he used to berade me for not being good enough as a 15 year old.

Dan

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

I agree with Dan. I am a 36 yr old and play golf every chance I get with my father, he lives 200 miles away. Enjoy the time and the rounds that you play with your father. Trust me no one is rooting for you more than he is. I am actually most relaxed when I play with him. Make an attempt to change your attitude and your anxiety may change to calmness. Hope this helps.

Dude- get used to it! I can go out and have the best round of my life and then the next day...play terrible with my dad. I am 41 !! It's been happening since I was 6 years old!

Not as bad now. But I still feel like a need to show my old man how I can play. I think its a father son thing. Your dad will be happier if you beat him and play well so just relax and play your game.

My dad is 67 now and still shoots in the 80's. Now its me who starts to feel bad when HE is having a bad round. I am the one who calms him and gives him advice.

Just enjoy the time with Dad. Fathers/sons and golf is a great thing. My little 3 year old yesterday was playing with his plastic toy clubs and I was showing him how to hit it. he said to me..."daddy can I play golf with you?" I almost lost it!!

I can't wait

Just be thankful you have golf to share with your father. Nobody in my family plays golf, which kindof makes me feel alone sometimes, but they are happy to listen to me talking about it, and they support me in as much as possible. My dad and I bond with other activities, alot more serious than golf, aka skeet shooting and other forms of 2nd Amendment allowed target practice.

[sign here]

when you play with him next time, make it more fun. get loose and laugh at your bad shots and make stupid comments and gestures that will make him laugh. my dad is the same way. he doesn't play golf, but i know exactly where you're coming from and joking around helps to ease the tension.

Instagram account

Titleist TSi4 8.25* / Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7-X
TaylorMade Aero Burner TP 15° / Matrix White Tie 70-X
Taylormade SIM UDI 2i / Diamana THUMP 100X

Taylormade P770 3i (at 22°) / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MC 5-7, P7MB 8, 9 / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MB P / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 50° (at 52°) / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 TW 56° and 60° / DG S400

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH 34"

Just talk to your dad. I am a 37 year old father myself and my son is a very good golfer. a 70 shooter on an average day and he is only 13. he plays from the mens tees at our course and beats me to death. he shot 77 just this past weekend, and i have only shot 78 on two occasions. he is a tournament golfer and just the other day he told me that i was putting too much pressure on him and his game was suffering. he told me that he never goes out to attempt to play bad but my pushing him i was causing him to play poorly. if you knew my son, he is very quiet and never talks back, very well mannored, etc. For him to say that took alot of guts and sacrifice on his part. I took heed of his request and promised him that i would never act mad or disgusted over his play. After all, it's his game and his future in it is up to him.

Good Luck,

Brad

I play my best with my father...just because we are out there to relax and there is no pressure to score. He plays his best with me as well.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35