greenknight9

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1419789193' post='10651367']
[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1419787865' post='10651277']
Let me see if I've got this straight.

My average well struck [b]DRIVE[/b] carries about 230 and I carry a 7 iron 150.

[size=4]Your [u][b]5 WOOD[/b][/u] CARRIES 227 but with your old Combos you only carried a 7 iron 150 ? [/size]

[size=4]How long did you play those Combos ? Surely your 7 iron carry told you SOMETHING wasn't working, no ?[/size]

[size=4][size=4]It just seems incredible a golfer of your ability wouldn't recognize rather quickly something was considerably out of whack.[/size][/size][/quote]

I had a scoring avg of 67.7 last year and I only had 4 rounds over par out of 110 rounds. If I'm hitting my 7 iron 150 yards to 10 feet consistently, why would i consider switching. I don't study these numbers as much as you clearly do. And the only reason I went with PXi was from info I got on this forum. I've never been fitted for anything.
[/quote]

You're a PLUS 5, TOUR level player and have no idea how far you should/would/do hit your clubs.

OK, if you say so.

Enjoy your newfound distance - hope it doesn't screw up your game 'cause now you'll have to learn how to hit a 9 iron to 10 feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :good:[size=4] [/size]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1419899162' post='10657555'][quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1419789193' post='10651367']

[size=4]Your [u][b]5 WOOD[/b][/u] CARRIES 227 but with your old Combos you only carried a 7 iron 150 ? [/size]

[size=4]How long did you play those Combos ? Surely your 7 iron carry told you SOMETHING wasn't working, no ?[/size]

[size=4][size=4]It just seems incredible a golfer of your ability wouldn't recognize rather quickly something was considerably out of whack.[/size][/size][/quote]

I had a scoring avg of 67.7 last year and I only had 4 rounds over par out of 110 rounds. If I'm hitting my 7 iron 150 yards to 10 feet consistently, why would i consider switching. I don't study these numbers as much as you clearly do. And the only reason I went with PXi was from info I got on this forum. I've never been fitted for anything.
[/quote]

You're a PLUS 5, TOUR level player and have no idea how far you should/would/do hit your clubs.

OK, if you say so.

Enjoy your newfound distance - hope it doesn't screw up your game 'cause now you'll have to learn how to hit a 9 iron to 10 feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :good:[size=4] [/size][/quote]
Dude...why question his game? What does his distance matter?

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

Maybe someone is a bit jealous of someone else who can play well haha. Just kidding. Some people just know how to score and do do with what they have. He stumbled upon something that clearly fits him and now he's going to have to play a little differently until he gets used to hitting more short irons hahaha. Props to him. I know I need a good fitting for my driver. My iron distances to my hybrid are swell except the fact that my driver is only like 5-10 yards more than my 3 hybrid consistently and aometimes my hybrid will out hit my driver. But as I am not a great player and I don't have the cash to go so a good fitting and buy from the source then it's trial and error for me haha

Forever Changing at this point.......

[quote name='shakey' timestamp='1419899898' post='10657611']
[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1419899162' post='10657555'][quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1419789193' post='10651367']

[/quote]

OK, if you say so.

Enjoy your newfound distance - hope it doesn't screw up your game 'cause now you'll have to learn how to hit a 9 iron to 10 feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :good:[size=4] [/size][/quote]
Dude...why question his game? What does his distance matter?
[/quote]
Seriously!!! Quit trolling this guy!

[/quote]

OK, if you say so.

Whatever man! I don't play to impress you. I play for the love of the sport. I'll just quit posting numbers cause the dumb responses are annoying. Who's to say how far a 7 iron SHOULD go. If I'm playing and scoring well, ill take it. I thought people on here were looking for this type of info.

For those that do care.

My 7 iron 2 seasons ago was only 138 yds with Nike Pro Cavities

Last season was 150 yards with pro combos

My vapor pros are 170 yards give or take.

Clearly coaching, shafts, ball, and fitness have played a role.
I still don't even come close to a long hitting player. I can only drive the ball 270-280 on average.

[quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1419901722' post='10657791']
Whatever man! I don't play to impress you. I play for the love of the sport. I'll just quit posting numbers cause the dumb responses are annoying. Who's to say how far a 7 iron SHOULD go. If I'm playing and scoring well, ill take it. I thought people on here were looking for this type of info.

For those that do care.

I still don't even come close to a long hitting player. I can only drive the ball 270-280 on average.
[/quote]
Heh. It's not just you. I've been playing with irons from pre-21st century and due to the way the lofts have gone up through out the year my current 7i is traveling about ~2 clubs less than the modern day clubs.

Also to those who complain about nobody could gain that much distance ... I was on a Trackman & Flightscope during a demo day where I hit my current 7i 174 pured and then I hit the RSi2 207 pured ... It's completely stupid how much lofts have gone up in the past 15 years as a selling point to "greater distance". Also the RSi2 7i are 31 degrees of loft. My current 7i is 39 degrees of loft. RSi2's 9i is 40 degrees of loft. Throw in the fact that some iron lofts can be off so that RSi2 7i might be 29-30 ... Like I said. Stupid.

Don't doubt technology, stronger lofts, actually getting fitted, and a super consistent game from a + hcper ... Yeah, I can see it.

Thanks for posting ToddyJ as you are one of many who positively contribute to this forum that actually make a difference when it comes to positively giving opinions and backing them up with facts.

[quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1419901722' post='10657791'][quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1419899162' post='10657555'][quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1419789193' post='10651367']

[/quote]

OK, if you say so.

For those that do care.

I still don't even come close to a long hitting player. I can only drive the ball 270-280 on average.[/quote]

If it means anything I appreciate your input, don't listen to the negatives, keep it coming.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

[quote name='FullOfBrushMan' timestamp='1419906519' post='10658229'][quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1419901722' post='10657791']

For those that do care.

[/quote]
Heh. It's not just you. I've been playing with irons from pre-21st century and due to the way the lofts have gone up through out the year my current 7i is traveling about ~2 clubs less than the modern day clubs.

Also to those who complain about nobody could gain that much distance ... I was on a Trackman & Flightscope during a demo day where I hit my current 7i 174 pured and then I hit the RSi2 207 pured ... It's completely stupid how much lofts have gone up in the past 15 years as a selling point to "greater distance". Also the RSi2 7i are 31 degrees of loft. My current 7i is 39 degrees of loft. RSi2's 9i is 40 degrees of loft. Throw in the fact that some iron lofts can be off so that RSi2 7i might be 29-30 ... Like I said. Stupid.

Don't doubt technology, stronger lofts, actually getting fitted, and a super consistent game from a + hcper ... Yeah, I can see it.

Thanks for posting ToddyJ as you are one of many who positively contribute to this forum that actually make a difference when it comes to positively giving opinions and backing them up with facts.[/quote]

Thanks man. I enjoy sharing the numbers and reading other reviews. It would be pretty pointless of me to pretend I'm gaining distance. I don't work for Nike. I guess to satisfy some I should've increased my distance 3 years ago. Ha. I forgot that Graeme McDowell and Bubba both hit their clubs the same distance. Haha.

[quote name='minteq' timestamp='1419907548' post='10658343'][quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1419901722' post='10657791'][quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1419899162' post='10657555'][quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1419789193' post='10651367']

[/quote]

OK, if you say so.

For those that do care.

I still don't even come close to a long hitting player. I can only drive the ball 270-280 on average.[/quote]

If it means anything I appreciate your input, don't listen to the negatives, keep it coming.[/quote]

Thanks. I had a full comparison for all my clubs typed out earlier but I decided not to post it so as not to get reprimanded. Bahahaha. Maybe I'll put it up later.

Maybe it is time, in these discussions, to not say what the number on the club is and just say "with these clubs my 150 yard club has never had such a small dispersion". That is what we should all be searching for, isn't it? Not how long but how close?

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

[quote name='Shilgy' timestamp='1419909222' post='10658475']Maybe it is time, in these discussions, to not say what the number on the club is and just say "with these clubs my 150 yard club has never had such a small dispersion". That is what we should all be searching for, isn't it? Not how long but how close?[/quote]
Honestly. Just use loft. Saying I hit x yards with my y degree is so much simpler.

Using loft though we would still have the same issue. In this case someone essentially calling out ToddyJ being a +5 because he only hit his 34° 150 yards. Doesn't matter what you call it. If a player can take his 14 clubs and cover all the yardage needed and post scores why the incessant obsession with distance? We had the same issue in the tour talk threads about over and under achievers. The overs were the shorter knockers and the unders were the longer hitters. All of the d**k measuring should be scores shot, not distance. Just my opinion.

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

[quote name='Shilgy' timestamp='1419909222' post='10658475']
Maybe it is time, in these discussions, to not say what the number on the club is and just say "with these clubs my 150 yard club has never had such a small dispersion". That is what we should all be searching for, isn't it? Not how long but how close?
[/quote]

Or better yet, let's not associate distance with scoring....Gary Player proved that he can hit a 5 wood as close as Jack could hit a 6 iron...to each their strengths....but I know who's sand game I would prefer over the two...not even close.

Just sayin..

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Back on topic...took my 5 VPC and 7 Vapor Pro into the monitor last night and was extremely happy!! I had taken the even irons out to the range on Saturday to compare against my Apex/Apex Pro set and was hitting them both very consistently, all baby 4-5 yard fades all the same ball flight and trajectory....all topping out what looked to be very similar to same peak height. So in the monitor last night, took the Nike 5 & 7 into see how they perform...the shape was uber consistent again with an avg deviation of under 4 yards with each club and the peak height avg with both was right at 33-35 yards...I give alot of kudos to the Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120TX...just an amazing shaft in these clubs. I also reshafted the Apex/Apex Pro with them last month and feel that is the reason for their consistent performance also!!

Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1419949780' post='10659739']
Back on topic...took my 5 VPC and 7 Vapor Pro into the monitor last night and was extremely happy!! I had taken the even irons out to the range on Saturday to compare against my Apex/Apex Pro set and was hitting them both very consistently, all baby 4-5 yard fades all the same ball flight and trajectory....all topping out what looked to be very similar to same peak height. So in the monitor last night, took the Nike 5 & 7 into see how they perform...the shape was uber consistent again with an avg deviation of under 4 yards with each club and the peak height avg with both was right at 33-35 yards...I give alot of kudos to the Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120TX...just an amazing shaft in these clubs. I also reshafted the Apex/Apex Pro with them last month and feel that is the reason for their consistent performance also!!
[/quote]
Love hearing that the modus match up good with these irons!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

It's not how far you hit it, but how many it takes to get it in the hole.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='MNNikeGuy' timestamp='1419959995' post='10660519']
[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1419949780' post='10659739']
[/quote]
Love hearing that the modus match up good with these irons!
[/quote]

Stupid consistent...!! Thought someone was replaying my same shot over and over on the monitor...lol!!

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Shilgy' timestamp='1419909222' post='10658475']
[/quote]

Sundre, like Calgary and Banff are at altitude, around 1100 meters. When the Champions tour was here for the Shaw Classic they were bombing drives...well except for the low ball hitters.

[quote name='Doublebuck' timestamp='1420000125' post='10663775'][quote name='Shilgy' timestamp='1419909222' post='10658475']
[/quote]

Sundre, like Calgary and Banff are at altitude, around 1100 meters. When the Champions tour was here for the Shaw Classic they were bombing drives...well except for the low ball hitters.[/quote]

Any pictures on how the black PVD finish is holding up with normal usage? Sorry Lesmond, but pictures from you will not count. I have seen how well you clean your shoes after every round so I already know yours will still look absolutely perfect! :)

Titleist TS3 8.5 HZDRUS 60 6.5
Titleist TS3 15 HZDRUS 70 6.5
Titleist 818H2 19 Aldila Phenom HYB 85 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 UT 21 KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 4-PW KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind and 58/8 C Grind KBS $Taper 120 S
Scotty Cameron Futura X 35"
Titleist Pro V1x

Finally got a chance to take my VPC for a full spin on a simulator (Flightscope).

I'm coming from x2 hot pro's. The loft of the 7 irons are the 2 clubs that have the greatest gap, but the rest of the set seems to range between a degree to a degree and a half in difference.

My carry previously with a 7i (take with a grain of salt bc it was pretty much a 6i) was 180. My goal with the move to the VPC was to bring the ball flight up, get back to a slightly more traditional (blade-like) top line, but not completely lose forgiveness on those mis-hits.

Well, yardages seem to jive pretty well even though I was expecting to give some of that up. Ball flight was more of what I was looking for, especially with the long irons. And the feel, oooohhhhh it felt good!!!!!

Anyone on the fence, go take them for a test drive. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Titleist TSR3 Driver
Titleist TSR3 15 3-Wood
Titleist u500 2i
Titleist T100 Irons 4-P
Titleist Vokey Wedges 50, 54, 58
TM Spider Tour 
Titleist Pro V1

Greyson with Footjoy Shoes & Gloves

[quote name='ctfuzz21' timestamp='1420048798' post='10666009']
Finally got a chance to take my VPC for a full spin on a simulator (Flightscope).

I'm coming from x2 hot pro's. The loft of the 7 irons are the 2 clubs that have the greatest gap, but the rest of the set seems to range between a degree to a degree and a half in difference.

My carry previously with a 7i (take with a grain of salt bc it was pretty much a 6i) was 180. My goal with the move to the VPC was to bring the ball flight up, get back to a slightly more traditional (blade-like) top line, but not completely lose forgiveness on those mis-hits.

Well, yardages seem to jive pretty well even though I was expecting to give some of that up. Ball flight was more of what I was looking for, especially with the long irons. And the feel, oooohhhhh it felt good!!!!!

Anyone on the fence, go take them for a test drive. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
[/quote]what shaft?

[quote name='Stuu' timestamp='1420050860' post='10666207']
[quote name='ctfuzz21' timestamp='1420048798' post='10666009']

[/quote]what shaft?
[/quote]

My bad....
In the x2 hot pro's project x 6.0 flighted 95
In the VPC's I went with the stock stiff DG Pro's. I didn't really you around much with other shaft options as I was liking what I was seeing from the DGs.

Other "relevant" info: 2 handicap, SS w/ driver of 114-116, digger, very low ball flight, & like to play a hold off cut for most shots.

Titleist TSR3 Driver
Titleist TSR3 15 3-Wood
Titleist u500 2i
Titleist T100 Irons 4-P
Titleist Vokey Wedges 50, 54, 58
TM Spider Tour 
Titleist Pro V1

Greyson with Footjoy Shoes & Gloves

[quote name='mgholda' timestamp='1420048189' post='10665949']
Any pictures on how the black PVD finish is holding up with normal usage? Sorry Lesmond, but pictures from you will not count. I have seen how well you clean your shoes after every round so I already know yours will still look absolutely perfect! :)
[/quote]

No worries, I proudly use headcovers on all irons. I spent all that money on those clubs. I got to keep them clean as possible during and after the round.

:good::)

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1420059471' post='10667023']
[quote name='mgholda' timestamp='1420048189' post='10665949']
[/quote]

No worries, I proudly use headcovers on all irons. I spent all that money on those clubs. I got to keep them clean as possible during and after the round.
:good::)
[/quote]
I agree that you need to take excellent care of your equipment. 14-way fur-lined full length dividers are nice too!

Titleist TS3 8.5 HZDRUS 60 6.5
Titleist TS3 15 HZDRUS 70 6.5
Titleist 818H2 19 Aldila Phenom HYB 85 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 UT 21 KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 4-PW KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind and 58/8 C Grind KBS $Taper 120 S
Scotty Cameron Futura X 35"
Titleist Pro V1x

[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1420059471' post='10667023'][quote name='mgholda' timestamp='1420048189' post='10665949']
[/quote]

:good::)[/quote]

I was thinking of doing the same.

I played 9 holes with my new irons today and this happened after the first shot. The ground was still frozen because it was 36 degrees. I couldn't really feel the clubs, but it still felt much better than my old tw vr irons. I should've used my old clubs for days like this..smh I know it's just a club but I don't like to see the scratches after 1/2 round. Is anyone's vp or vpc scratched up already?

Nike [color=#0000CD] Vapor Fly Pro Limited [/color]driver 9.5* Whiteboard 70g X-stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor Flex [/color]3 wood 15* Whiteboard 80g Stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor[/color] [color=#99FF00]Flex [/color]5 wood 19* Whiteboard 80g Stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor Pro[/color] 3-PW S300 / Vapor Pro Combo 3-PW X-100 
Nike Engage wedge 52* Square
Nike Engage wedge 58* Toesweep
Nike [color=#0000CD]Origin B1-01 [/color][color=#000000]35"[/color] Putter with TW Proto Grip
Nike 2016 Platinum Cart Bag
IG airbong23