Back to life, back to reality (blades for me)

cb24

[quote name='Chuck_22046' timestamp='1414349733' post='10353589']
It's a beautiful afternoon with a bit of wind to work some shots against.....

Heading to the range with the blades and a sack full of retro drivers. What ever you are playing....I hope at least you ARE playing today.
[/quote]

I played. Today was my first full round playing my winter/backup set, which is the MP-60s set. To confirm, they are most definitely duller feeling than my MP-67s, and they are just not as workable. I shot 37 (woo hoo!) - 48 (D'OH!!!) for an 85. 'twas a bittersweet ballstriking day. The wheels just fell off the proverbial axel on the back, and it was my driver and short game that feel apart, [i]not my iron play[/i]. As far as it went using my mid/long irons , I had two GIRs with 6i and 5i, and I had two missed GIR chances with two 4is. With the missed 4is, the shots were so bad I was 15 yards away on both of them, so I highly doubt my blades being 20 yards out would have made any difference. They were both shots from horrible lies because of bad drives.

So in a nutshell today I was fine using my CBs, they weren't any better than my MBs, and they just didn't feel as good. To be clear, it wasn't as if the feeling was bad. Just a little lacking. I did notice that I was just a few yards longer with them than the MBs. Maybe about 3 yards.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1414375176' post='10355411']

Heading to the range with the blades and a sack full of retro drivers. What ever you are playing....I hope at least you ARE playing today.
[/quote]

I played. Today was my first full round playing my winter/backup set, which is the MP-60s set. To confirm, they are most definitely duller feeling than my MP-67s, and they are just not as workable. I shot 37 (woo hoo!) - 48 (D'OH!!!) for an 85. 'twas a bittersweet ballstriking day. The wheels just fell off the proverbial axel on the back, and it was my driver and short game that feel apart, [i]not my iron play[/i]. As far as it went using my mid/long irons , I had two GIRs with 6i and 5i, and I had two missed GIR chances with two 4is. With the missed 4is, the shots were so bad I was 15 yards away on both of them, so I highly doubt my blades being 20 yards out would have made any difference. They were both shots from horrible lies because of bad drives.

So in a nutshell today I was fine using my CBs, they weren't any better than my MBs, and they just didn't feel as good. To be clear, it wasn't as if the feeling was bad. Just a little lacking. I did notice that I was just a few yards longer with them than the MBs. Maybe about 3 yards.
[/quote]

Well, I'm glad somebody is playing today. We're going home soon
and I'm anxious to hit the links! You're a stinker DeNinja. I was on
Ebay today checking out the Mizuno blades.

Not too many with the Rifle 5.0s. Many with 5.5s. Not sure if those
will be too stiff for an an old dude, hehe. I might be able to pick up
a set of the 67s pretty well used for only a few hundred. Does that
sound about right? Not a big deal just to get them to play around
with.

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1414376079' post='10355483']

[/quote]

[/quote]

with.
[/quote]

Yeah you should be able to get mp67s for less than 200 easily. Sorry though, mine aren't going up for sale. I play original Rifle 5.0s and my driver ss is 90 mph, if that helps. The 5.0s are so nice and perfect for my swing.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1414376703' post='10355529']

[/quote]

[/quote]

with.
[/quote]

Yeah you should be able to get mp67s for less than 200 easily. Sorry though, mine aren't going up for sale. I play original Rifle 5.0s and my driver ss is 90 mph, if that helps. The 5.0s are so nice and perfect for my swing.
[/quote]

I'm going to wait for a set with 5.0s. I'm a tweener when it comes
to flex but my transition is fairly smooth and I prefer the softer flex.

I don't care much for the R300s, which is what I see in most R
flex sets for sale.

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1414378522' post='10355659']

with.
[/quote]

[/quote]

flex sets for sale.
[/quote]

There aren't too many 5.0 sets out on ebay for any iron as compared to 5.5s and 6.0s. LOL I'm not holding my breath for a set of Scratch S/S grind blades with original 5.0s going on sale anytime soon, but it's a good excuse to window shop ebay and get in some vicarious ho'ing.

I'm not a fan of TT DG series in any flex. Not after playing Rifles, that is.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1414379543' post='10355765']

with.
[/quote]

[/quote]

flex sets for sale.
[/quote]

There aren't too many 5.0 sets out on ebay for any iron as compared to 5.5s and 6.0s. LOL I'm not holding my breath for a set of Scratch S/S grind blades with original 5.0s going on sale anytime soon, but it's a good excuse to window shop ebay and get in some vicarious ho'ing.

[/quote]

That's the reason so many don't play blades. The shafts in them are for
GolfWRX gorillas. I'm not in a rush, lol, I'll just keep looking until a light
goes on.

I need to find some with wear marks like Dan's. That will give me instant
street cred........no, I forgot, in the real world no one would notice. :)

Really, I just want to get some decent blades with the right shafts and
take them to the range and see what happens. You've convinced me I
can hit them ok......just want to see if that's true.......and I'm finally
realizing I think I'm a low bounce guy who might like to try some
special grinds on the sole, also.

I've never done that stuff; just played 'em as they came, perhaps to
my detriment.

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1414381510' post='10355885']
[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1414379543' post='10355765']

with.
[/quote]

[/quote]

flex sets for sale.
[/quote]

[/quote]

That's the reason so many don't play blades. The shafts in them are for
GolfWRX gorillas. I'm not in a rush, lol, I'll just keep looking until a light
goes on.

I need to find some with wear marks like Dan's. That will give me instant
street cred........no, I forgot, in the real world no one would notice. :)

Really, I just want to get some decent blades with the right shafts and
take them to the range and see what happens. You've convinced me I
can hit them ok......just want to see if that's true.......and I'm finally
realizing I think I'm a low bounce guy who might like to try some
special grinds on the sole, also.

I've never done that stuff; just played 'em as they came, perhaps to
my detriment.
[/quote]

I've never brought this up in a blade/CB discussion, but I've always simply thought that a golfer just gets used to his set with time and eventually the set becomes a little irrelevant and the golfer's skill becomes the limiting scoring factor. Your last point brought back that thought. I know it is ideal to get fit and also have a set that fits your swing style, but I really feel that over time you simply get used to your set and learn how to get the most from it.

It's when you start to doubt your clubs is when there will be an issue. If you don't have confidence you can hit a blade, then that will be exactly what is preventing you from doing it. I think Bigmean said it earlier. It's mainly mental.

It would be interesting to see, after you finally get a set with the right grind to fit your swing, if it really makes a difference. Also I think as a 9 you will be totally fine hitting a blade. But I think you already know this even without me "convincing" you (LOL).

Registered Bladeocrat

I have the Project X flighted in my hybrids...and love them. My S58's have the same shaft...and I got along with those very well too. The current love of my life, have True Temper Dynamics....with mutilated shaft bands that "feel" like stiff. I have always loved the feel of the project x, but can't seem to abide the label...so that's usually the first thing to go if I intend to keep the set.

Either I am lucky or mentally ill (more likely both!) but I have never fallen into the honeymoon line of thought. It usually doesn't take long for me to figure out that me and a set of irons are *not* going to get along. (MP-30's come instantly to mind). I have attempted to play with some irons which were shafted with rebar...and that just didn't seem to work for me, but that could have been entirely mental as well. To the OP's original point...and Conrad's point as well DeNinny... blades suit me better, and I find myself "getting used to them" (as you put it) far easier than getting used to the compromises built into the CB's.

Grinds to me fall squarely into the forgiveness/compensation theory. Meaning to say, a good grind that fits your swing pattern can only help. That's not forgiveness to me...it's a feature which compensates for some natural swing tendency. (I am still working through this...sorry). The leading edge grind on my Reg. 709's is stupid sharp...but my swing is not a steep one, so they are not (currently) causing me much beef. The further I get to the scoring clubs though....the more mindful I need to be about that, which is NOT a bad thing. Plus, should the need arise for me to clear some brush along a fence line, or say....dig a drainage ditch, I am completely prepared :taunt:

I was lucky to learn golf from someone who was big into balance and feel. I would put his teaching as a cross between of Davis Love II and George Knudson. As a result, both of their books are on my nightstand...lol. Balance and feel were the driving mechanics for him. His theories about equipment were simple...play what you like, and stick cotton in your ears when it comes to advice. People will either try to sell you something, or tell you what THEY like. But they ain't the ones playing your game.

In the end...it's YOUR hands on the clubs.
(Sorry for the ramble....not done with first cup of coffee yet)

12* Cleveland Classic w/ TTDG X100 @43.75"
or
910D3 10.5 w/ Blueboard 65x
Mizuno MP-650 15* w/ DVS
or
Titelist 909F3 15* Graf Blue
Mizuno Mp CLK 20* w/ VTS Red
Covert 4 w/ VTS Red
Tourstage TS-202 5-PW
or
Hogan Decade's
Cleveland RTX 2.0 46
Vokey SM5 50 F-Grind
Vokey SM5 56 F-Grind
Ping Pal 4 BeCu

Theory (just thinking about the blade/GI debate): I'm thinking that blades help you swing better because they force you to make the same/similar swing more often. Blades only require very minor adjustments in your swing in order to change the shot height/shape/result. For those of you that have hit GI clubs, would you agree with me that you actually have to make, what feels like, a larger adjustment to your swing in order to hit a certain type of shot? So when you think about it, you are actually making swings with a larger variation with GI clubs. Whereas with blades, it requires a more consistent delivery of the club with less variation in path/face.

Blades are so much fun to play.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

I did an informal what's in the bag check with our Sunday afternoon group at my home club. The group is a mix of players but all the best players at the club play in it and we have usually about 40 players or so. Anyhow, I was surprised to see all the new irons in bags this week. Several of the top players, including one visiting back from college where he plays on the golf team there, had gone to blades. Most were gaming the Titleist MBs and there were a few Mizuno MP-4s. These guys have all been playing the AP-2s or something similar.

I found this switch to pure blades interesting. Now, trends are a big thing sometimes and it may have started with one guy getting the blades and others jumping on the bandwagon. Still, there were less CBs in the group this week and more MBs.

[quote name='DNice26' timestamp='1414412260' post='10356499']
Theory (just thinking about the blade/GI debate): I'm thinking that blades help you swing better because they force you to make the same/similar swing more often. Blades only require very minor adjustments in your swing in order to change the shot height/shape/result. For those of you that have hit GI clubs, would you agree with me that you actually have to make, what feels like, a larger adjustment to your swing in order to hit a certain type of shot? So when you think about it, you are actually making swings with a larger variation with GI clubs. Whereas with blades, it requires a more consistent delivery of the club with less variation in path/face.

[/quote]
I would agree with this completely. I am instantly reminded of the Nike Covert Forged (the first ones) I used to game. Ok sure...you could fairly easily work the ball with them, but if you wanted to put a serious cut on it...say to bend it around a tree, forget it. You *might* get the cut you wanted...and you were also pretty likely to be stopping off at the chiropractor on the way home from the course because of what you had to do to make it work.

or
Mizuno MP-650 15* w/ DVS
or
Covert 4 w/ VTS Red
Tourstage TS-202 5-PW
or
Hogan Decade's
Cleveland RTX 2.0 46
Vokey SM5 50 F-Grind
Vokey SM5 56 F-Grind
Ping Pal 4 BeCu

[/quote]

If you're trying to hit the same shot repeatedly why would you make an adjustment to your swing?

Throwing one more comment out here....

A fair number of the blades I play spin the ball quite a bit. If you're a high spin player, this can be a problem. It's not the "spin it back on the green" issue, but the ability to play in any sort of wind.

This was one big reason I'd picked up the set of Eye2+ I own. On a launch monitor, I was seeing 1200-1400 rpm less spin with a 6 iron, compared to the MS-11 6 iron I used as a comparison.

I don't know if CBs produce lower spin across the board, but when Golfsmith was still making components and providing launch conditions for their clubheads, it seemed like the CBs all spun the ball less than the blade designs they also had.

More grist for the mill, proverbially speaking...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1414424024' post='10357197'][quote name='DNice26' timestamp='1414412260' post='10356499']

[/quote]

If you're trying to hit the same shot repeatedly why would you make an adjustment to your swing?[/quote]
My post didn't imply hitting the same shot repeatedly. Just the opposite actually.

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

[quote name='Chuck_22046' timestamp='1414413894' post='10356543']

[/quote]
I would agree with this completely. I am instantly reminded of the Nike Covert Forged (the first ones) I used to game. Ok sure...you could fairly easily work the ball with them, but if you wanted to put a serious cut on it...say to bend it around a tree, forget it. You *might* get the cut you wanted...and you were also pretty likely to be stopping off at the chiropractor on the way home from the course because of what you had to do to make it work.
[/quote]
Definitely in agreement here too and just confirmed yet again on the course yesterday. Blades/MBs are simply easier to work. With my mp60s compared to my mp67s I have to set up more extreme for a draw or fade. It's explained by the physics of the design. By the same margins that a CB is forgiving, it is that much harder to work than a MB by comparison.

Yes it is fun to play a blade/MB for this reason. Control and feel > forgiveness hands down. To me, 'tis better to be positive about your game and controlling your good shots than be negative and constantly fear your misses.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='DNice26' timestamp='1414424730' post='10357249']
[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1414424024' post='10357197'][quote name='DNice26' timestamp='1414412260' post='10356499']

[/quote]

If you're trying to hit the same shot repeatedly why would you make an adjustment to your swing?[/quote]
My post didn't imply hitting the same shot repeatedly. Just the opposite actually.
[/quote]

So how could it be a consistent delivery if you're having to make an adjustment to your swing?

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1414424462' post='10357225']
Throwing one more comment out here....

A fair number of the blades I play spin the ball quite a bit. If you're a high spin player, this can be a problem. It's not the "spin it back on the green" issue, but the ability to play in any sort of wind.

This was one big reason I'd picked up the set of Eye2+ I own. On a launch monitor, I was seeing 1200-1400 rpm less spin with a 6 iron, compared to the MS-11 6 iron I used as a comparison.

I don't know if CBs produce lower spin across the board, but when Golfsmith was still making components and providing launch conditions for their clubheads, it seemed like the CBs all spun the ball less than the blade designs they also had.

More grist for the mill, proverbially speaking...
[/quote]

This is interesting and something I will pay more close attention to. I am going to peek at this more carefully.

or
Mizuno MP-650 15* w/ DVS
or
Covert 4 w/ VTS Red
Tourstage TS-202 5-PW
or
Hogan Decade's
Cleveland RTX 2.0 46
Vokey SM5 50 F-Grind
Vokey SM5 56 F-Grind
Ping Pal 4 BeCu

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1414425167' post='10357317']

[/quote]

[/quote]

So how could it be a consistent delivery if you're having to make an adjustment to your swing?
[/quote]

I believe what he is saying is...if you [i][b]want[/b][/i] to hit a hard cut, it's much easier to do without over-compensating his swing to do so if he is using a blade/MB. A GI/SGI club would [i][b]require[/b][/i] a massive swing compensation to achieve that movement (if it was even possible at all).

or
Mizuno MP-650 15* w/ DVS
or
Covert 4 w/ VTS Red
Tourstage TS-202 5-PW
or
Hogan Decade's
Cleveland RTX 2.0 46
Vokey SM5 50 F-Grind
Vokey SM5 56 F-Grind
Ping Pal 4 BeCu

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1414425167' post='10357317']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm referring to MINOR adjustments. What I'm saying is....in order to hit a particular type of shot (e.g. low draw), you have to only make a certain amount of adjustment to pull off the shot with a blade. Whereas, trying to hit the same shot with a GI club requires even more swing adjustment. Because GI club design encourages the ball to get up and go straight, you have to make larger adjustments in your swing to pull off said shot. So what I'm saying is, blades encourage a more consistent swing path/face angle etc. over the spetrum of shot types (high, low, draw, fade). Does that help clarify?

[quote name='DNice26' timestamp='1414425666' post='10357387']
I'm referring to MINOR adjustments. What I'm saying is....in order to hit a particular type of shot (e.g. low draw), you have to only make a certain amount of adjustment to pull off the shot with a blade. Whereas, trying to hit the same shot with a GI club requires even more swing adjustment. Because GI club design encourages the ball to get up and go straight, you have to make larger adjustments in your swing to pull off said shot. So what I'm saying is, blades encourage a more consistent swing path/face angle etc. over the spetrum of shot types (high, low, draw, fade). Does that help clarify?
[/quote]

No. Can you detail the difference in adjustments instead of just saying there is a difference.

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1414425784' post='10357399']
[/quote]

No. Can you detail the difference in adjustments instead of just saying there is a difference.
[/quote]

So for a blade, perhaps you only need to play the ball back an inch or two to hit a low draw. Whereas with a GI club, perhaps it needs to go 3 or 4 inches back and you consciencely have to swing more to the inside. If you want more specific details then that, I would suggest hopping on a trackman.

I said it was a theory, so you are free to disagree. Have you played blades and GI clubs extensively? If not, give them a try and you'll feel what I'm referring to.

[quote name='DNice26' timestamp='1414426018' post='10357437']
[/quote]

[/quote]

So for a blade, perhaps you only need to play the ball back an inch or two to hit a low draw. Whereas with a GI club, perhaps it needs to go 3 or 4 inches back and you consciencely have to swing more to the inside. If you want more specific details then that, I would suggest hopping on a trackman.

I said it was a theory, so you are free to disagree. Have you played blades and GI clubs extensively? If not, give them a try and you'll feel what I'm referring to.
[/quote]

What you are saying is most definitely true and it takes side by side comparison and experience to know this.

Registered Bladeocrat

Moving the ball around becomes much more interesting when you use an older golf ball. They move around so much more than the modern golf balls.

I put some balatas in play earlier this year, because I could, and on my first par 3, was amazed to see the amount of lateral movement on what I thought was going to be a mild draw. Same thing with the "mild cut" on the next par 3.

Fun stuff.

I largely use the Chrome+ these days, it doesn't move much.

Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1414426347' post='10357461']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What you are saying is most definitely true and it takes side by side comparison and experience to know this.
[/quote]

Yeah, I have 3 sets of clubs (yes, I'm a WRXer....lol). Mizuno MP68s (CTapers in S+), MP64s (CTapers in Shs) and recently just bought some 850 forged (went with PX 6.0 for giggles). I played my MP68s for well over a full season and they were tough....but OH SO REWARDING. The feel and ability to hit "shots" is so great. The challenge I had with them is embodied in this statement: [b]"To me, 'tis better to be positive about your game and controlling your good shots than be negative and constantly fear your misses."[/b] At times, I fell victim to negative thinking and when playing against guys with GI clubs, felt like they were getting away with poor swings that I couldn't. So I started the search for a bit more help (enter the 64s). The 64s are really great clubs. I've played them now for about 2 full seasons and they offer that touch more help, but to be honest, still can't hold a candle to the MP68s in the feel department and shot making ability. The major difference I noticed when switching to the 64s was the slightly different feel and my need to adjust ever so slightly more to hit certain shots.

I recently bought the 850forged for giggles. They most certainly require further swing adjustments to pull off certain shots. I often bring represetnatives (lol) from each set with me to the range to compare feel, distance, comfort etc.. So I've done the head to heads multiple times.

One funny thing I've noticed: For whatever reason, when I go back to my blades....something just changes....hard to describe, but almost immediately, my tempo improves, my posture improves etc.. I now save them for the range to practice with, but mostly play with the 64s.

BTW, I'm a 0.4 index. Best part of my game is my iron play (I think).

I would highly recommend folks game blades at some point in their golf careers. It can be frustrating at times.....but the feel and satisfaction from a well struck shot is unlike a CB or GI club.
To be honest....if you want to improve your scores....head to the putting/chipping green. Blades vs GI, doesn't come into play when you have a sound short game.

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1414427442' post='10357563']
Moving the ball around becomes much more interesting when you use an older golf ball. Not just a wound ball, but anything you might have from the 90s. They move around so much more than the modern golf balls.

I put some balatas in play earlier this year, because I could, and on my first par 3, was amazed to see the amount of lateral movement on what I thought was going to be a mild draw. Same thing with the "mild cut" on the next par 3.

Fun stuff.
[/quote]
Getting your Bubba on! lol....nice.

[quote name='DNice26' timestamp='1414427485' post='10357569']
One funny thing I've noticed: For whatever reason, when I go back to my blades....something just changes....hard to describe, but almost immediately, my tempo improves, my posture improves etc.. I now save them for the range to practice with, but mostly play with the 64s.
[/quote]

It's really funny you mention this. When I was at the range last (yesterday) a buddy of mine walked by and asked me where my swing had been hiding, and to make sure I lose it again before we play again...lol

Like someone else said...it's mental.

or
Mizuno MP-650 15* w/ DVS
or
Covert 4 w/ VTS Red
Tourstage TS-202 5-PW
or
Hogan Decade's
Cleveland RTX 2.0 46
Vokey SM5 50 F-Grind
Vokey SM5 56 F-Grind
Ping Pal 4 BeCu

[quote name='DNice26' timestamp='1414427485' post='10357569']
[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1414426347' post='10357461']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, I have 3 sets of clubs (yes, I'm a WRXer....lol). Mizuno MP68s (CTapers in S+), MP64s (CTapers in Shs) and recently just bought some 850 forged (went with PX 6.0 for giggles). I played my MP68s for well over a full season and they were tough....but OH SO REWARDING. The feel and ability to hit "shots" is so great. The challenge I had with them is embodied in this statement: [b]"To me, 'tis better to be positive about your game and controlling your good shots than be negative and constantly fear your misses."[/b] At times, I fell victim to negative thinking and when playing against guys with GI clubs, felt like they were getting away with poor swings that I couldn't. So I started the search for a bit more help (enter the 64s). The 64s are really great clubs. I've played them now for about 2 full seasons and they offer that touch more help, but to be honest, still can't hold a candle to the MP68s in the feel department and shot making ability. The major difference I noticed when switching to the 64s was the slightly different feel and my need to adjust ever so slightly more to hit certain shots.

I recently bought the 850forged for giggles. They most certainly require further swing adjustments to pull off certain shots. I often bring represetnatives (lol) from each set with me to the range to compare feel, distance, comfort etc.. So I've done the head to heads multiple times.

BTW, I'm a 0.4 index. Best part of my game is my iron play (I think).

I would highly recommend folks game blades at some point in their golf careers. It can be frustrating at times.....but the feel and satisfaction from a well struck shot is unlike a CB or GI club.
To be honest....if you want to improve your scores....head to the putting/chipping green. Blades vs GI, doesn't come into play when you have a sound short game.
[/quote]

DNice26 I am a 12 index currently and I completely agree with you.

Side by side comparison testing is how you know the differences and subtleties between iron types. I think you learn a lot about your own swing when you change up too. And most definitely there's something special when you go back to hitting a blade.

My analogy is two girlfriends. The blade is like that high maintenance hottie that demands all of your attention but OMFG she will rock your world if you treat her right and pay a lot of attention to her. But don't ever take her for granted.

The CB is that girl that adores you no matter what you do and how you treat her. She's that good friend that will cuddle you and listen to you problems, but is, shall we say, a little conservative between the sheets.

Pick your poison.

Registered Bladeocrat

You win the internets for today.....GOLF WRX gold right there......lol

[quote name='DNice26' timestamp='1414427537' post='10357573']
[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1414427442' post='10357563']
Moving the ball around becomes much more interesting when you use an older golf ball. Not just a wound ball, but anything you might have from the 90s. They move around so much more than the modern golf balls.

Fun stuff.
[/quote]
Getting your Bubba on! lol....nice.
[/quote]

Remember when Callaway had the HX Blue and HX Red balls? At the same time, they also released a CTU Blue and CTU Red, these had more "normal" dimple patterns.

It was reported nearly all of the Senior Tour players on the Callaway staff were playing the CTU Red, because the HX Red wouldn't move like they wanted.

I found that interesting. :)

As a side note, I put my Eye2+ in the bag yesterday, on a lark. Was hitting a second shot on a particular hole, with a 6 iron. Wind out of the right, pin on the left middle. I hit it out to the right, trying to move it to the left side pin.

I was playing the earlier mentioned HX Chrome+. Ball moved a couple yards left, no more, even with the wind trying to help.

If it wasn't fall golf, I might try messing with the balatas again. Would hate losing one in the leaves, though. Maybe I'll dig out the FG Tours as a proxy. :)

[quote name='DNice26' timestamp='1414428641' post='10357661']
You win the internets for today.....GOLF WRX gold right there......lol
[/quote]

Yes he certainly did...I laughed out loud.

Then I started thinking about what that said about me, my GF, and a few other things....

That was brilliant!

or
Mizuno MP-650 15* w/ DVS
or
Covert 4 w/ VTS Red
Tourstage TS-202 5-PW
or
Hogan Decade's