Back to life, back to reality (blades for me)

cb24

Well i spent 1 whole year with my AP2s (from MP 68's) and my game only got worse, lol! Where was the improvement that GI irons are supposed to give???

Here is my original thread about picking up the AP2s, kellygreen was spot on BTW:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/908501-dropped-the-mp68s-and-went-with-ap2s/page__p__7845501__hl__+ap2s%20+hawaii#entry7845501

So I commited as much as possible by selling my mizunos and only using the ap2s but it just wasn't meant to be :(. I went back to roger Dunn to check out a set of 68s which they didn't have but they did have a set of 67's for $160 on sale, 3-pw scooped em up and my ball striking has felt better than it ever did in the least year. I finally realized I suck at hitting ball straight and those ap2s seem to keep it straighter so I would do weird compensatory things in my swing to move the ball. Would transfer the nippon shafts but don't want to spend the money and the ap2s will sell for more with them.

Good luck to all in their iron purchases, I just personally love the workability of blades. It's funny I was even hitting the 4 iron better with the mizunos! Can't beat their forging feel and seriously, the feedback (for me especially being a big time feel player) is unbeatable. I felt like I was just launching the ball in a catapult with the ap2s hoping I picked the right angle and direction and that it would be great. With the mizunos they help less but I focus more and can draw fade and everything in between on command! I love em!

The other thing that plagued me was distance control of the Ap2s, could easily be a 10 yard difference between a well struck and a pured 9 iron. When I was actually hitting well it really thru me off. With MP67 there is very little nuking but there definitely are some bad ones mixed in! But that's what the feedback is for. Also the height control is so much easier with the 67s. It felt like the AP2s always wanted to sky but the mizunos I go into elevator mode and "pick my floor,". Lol.

As I said above good luck to everyone in their own choice. Just don't believe the blade or cavity back arguments based on what everyone else says, try it out yourself!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cb24 I could not agree with you more. Nice post! I play MP67s as my gamers and MP60s as backups, and you cannot substitute the work and feel that a blade gives you. The ball just does exactly what you want when you put a good swing on it with one in hand. Oh, and have you noticed that you can hit very decent thin shots with them?

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

[quote name='teckneeklyperfect' timestamp='1413698502' post='10313229']
love my blades, mine are Alphas, but very similar to 67's
[/quote]

Will have to check them out, sound sweet.

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1413699345' post='10313249']
cb24 I could not agree with you more. Nice post! I play MP67s as my gamers and MP60s as backups, and you cannot substitute the work and feel that a blade gives you. The ball just does exactly what you want when you put a good swing on it with one in hand. Oh, and have you noticed that you can hit very decent thin shots with them?
[/quote]

Thanks, I really gave it a good go. Everyone told me the ap2s would make me better solely based on forgiveness. ( I am a 1 handicap but not the best ball striker) and with the ap2s I hit worse overall. And it is amazing that thin shots are still playable!!!!

My first couple of sets of clubs were CB's. I always liked the look of blades though and the theory. Anyway, I always kept telling myself I was gonna get some plain ol muscles one day. 6 years ago I went down to a really large golf supplier here in Oregon, (Fidd Green) near Eugene. I was really gonna get some 67's, they have a big range to demo clubs with and you can spend all day at the joint, it's a really cool place, they even have a golf course. Anyway, I digress...

I hit thru the bag with the set of 67's, I hit some Nike blades I think too. The price they were asking was just shy of a grand for the 67's. Ni sweat then, I was probably gonna get them.

Anyway, taking a break from hitting balls and walking around this place looking at clothes, and accessories, I found this set of Alpha MB's on the closeout rack. Gold shafts, stiff, just right. On inspection they appeared to be darn near exactly like the 67's, ( save for the little cut out on the back of the muscle) So took them out to the range and hit them side by side with the 67's for about 20 minutes. I could detect no difference in the clubs as far as my hitting.

The only difference was about 700 bucks. Seemed like a no brainer. Now it was a closeout and the true retail at Alpha's website is quite bit higher than what I paid I know and if I was going to buy today, the difference in price is not as much and I would probably just get the Mizuno's. I have regripped these Alpha's three times now and they aren't pretty anymore, full of bag rash, but I still play as well as I can play with them, so I see no need to get new clubs.

My thinking is that the saying is blades help you shape shots and work the ball and on and on. CV's help those that need help. My translation to that is if you need to shape a shot or whatever then cavity backs are gonna hinder that ability, right? wrong? I always need to make or shape shots, thats golf to me. To me the blade is best for that. I am never gonna be great anyway, in my mid 50's now and losing quite a bit of yardage.

Ping G410 10*  Fujikuri 40g shaft
TM  15* & 19* fairway

TM 790  6-PW

Cleveland 52,56,60  wedges
1990's 2ball

[quote name='teckneeklyperfect' timestamp='1413733769' post='10314337']
My first couple of sets of clubs were CB's. I always liked the look of blades though and the theory. Anyway, I always kept telling myself I was gonna get some plain ol muscles one day. 6 years ago I went down to a really large golf supplier here in Oregon, (Fidd Green) near Eugene. I was really gonna get some 67's, they have a big range to demo clubs with and you can spend all day at the joint, it's a really cool place, they even have a golf course. Anyway, I digress...

I hit thru the bag with the set of 67's, I hit some Nike blades I think too. The price they were asking was just shy of a grand for the 67's. Ni sweat then, I was probably gonna get them.

Anyway, taking a break from hitting balls and walking around this place looking at clothes, and accessories, I found this set of Alpha MB's on the closeout rack. Gold shafts, stiff, just right. On inspection they appeared to be darn near exactly like the 67's, ( save for the little cut out on the back of the muscle) So took them out to the range and hit them side by side with the 67's for about 20 minutes. I could detect no difference in the clubs as far as my hitting.

The only difference was about 700 bucks. Seemed like a no brainer. Now it was a closeout and the true retail at Alpha's website is quite bit higher than what I paid I know and if I was going to buy today, the difference in price is not as much and I would probably just get the Mizuno's. I have regripped these Alpha's three times now and they aren't pretty anymore, full of bag rash, but I still play as well as I can play with them, so I see no need to get new clubs.

My thinking is that the saying is blades help you shape shots and work the ball and on and on. CV's help those that need help. My translation to that is if you need to shape a shot or whatever then cavity backs are gonna hinder that ability, right? wrong? I always need to make or shape shots, thats golf to me. To me the blade is best for that. I am never gonna be great anyway, in my mid 50's now and losing quite a bit of yardage.
[/quote]

In my experience there is no question a blade is slightly better for shaping shots. MP-67s are better than MP-60s in this regard ([i]and[/i] I have 8 years of comparison under my belt to validate this). It shouldn't be a surprise. A blade has the majority of the mass centered behind the ball whereas with the CB it is distributed around the ball. That mass from the blade is what makes it easier to work but more unforgiving on a straight shot. It's also what makes a blade feel so good when you nut one.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

My translation to that is if you need to shape a shot or whatever then cavity backs are gonna hinder that ability, right? wrong?
[/quote]

Could you explain what you mean by shaping your shot?

I read a lot of these posts and it comes across that some folks believe that CB clubs just fly dead straight. I played CB irons and I hit a draw on most shots. But if I need to hit a fade it's just a minor adjustment and I get the left to right shot shape.

I used to play Wilson FG-17's....then moved to the Titleist 680. After being on here, I convinced myself that I had no business playing clubs, that I actually played quite well because they were blades. Bought and sold more irons than I care to think about the settled on a set of Ping S-58. When I didn't whiff or sh*nk it, my miss was towards to toes, which the S58 was very forgiving of. Currently using my TS-202's, which are just stupid forgiving because I haven't been practicing like I should be.

Truth is...I love the feel of a well struck blade. Might be time to dust off some of the Hogans....

12* Cleveland Classic w/ TTDG X100 @43.75"
or
910D3 10.5 w/ Blueboard 65x
Mizuno MP-650 15* w/ DVS
or
Titelist 909F3 15* Graf Blue
Mizuno Mp CLK 20* w/ VTS Red
Covert 4 w/ VTS Red
Tourstage TS-202 5-PW
or
Hogan Decade's
Cleveland RTX 2.0 46
Vokey SM5 50 F-Grind
Vokey SM5 56 F-Grind
Ping Pal 4 BeCu

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1413734574' post='10314407']
My translation to that is if you need to shape a shot or whatever then cavity backs are gonna hinder that ability, right? wrong?
[/quote]

Could you explain what you mean by shaping your shot?

I read a lot of these posts and it comes across that some folks believe that CB clubs just fly dead straight. I played CB irons and I hit a draw on most shots. But if I need to hit a fade it's just a minor adjustment and I get the left to right shot shape.
[/quote]

well, if a 12 handicap is even qualified to have an opinion on this. No way I can say for sure. But yeah your right, left to right and right to left. It's probably less true today than say back when I started, but back then the ball was pretty much always, [u]always[/u] going to curve. It was best to try to control which way. Hitting a pure straight shot was rare, at least as I can remember. Nowadays, it probably is just me, but I hardly ever hit a straight shot, I always am aiming right and trying to draw a ball in or left and trying to fade it in ( most often). I know no other way.

The thing is the feel. As mentioned by others. When I hit it pure with the blades there is no feeling, just pure swing and flight, at least to me. With the cavities is always seems kinda hollow to me. I played some pretty good golf with my old N2's which were cavities and progressively weighted, I would say my best golf too, but I was in my late 20s and early-mid 30s as well. I have lost about 2 maybe 2 1/2 clubs of distance since those days. I got these blades in my mid 40's and haven't looked back, just love em. I have gone the way of the hybrid too and am down to just the 6 thru PW irons. My wedges are CG14;s and not blades either. Although sometimes at some courses here I pull one hybrid and throw the 5 back in. I just don't swing fast enough any more to get the ball high, or as high like I used to. Like I said, the days of a 185 yd 5 iron are gone, long gone, for me ( and I know some of you hit the 5 way farther than that ) . That's just age, and I hate it. But ,, if Pete Rose can have a girlfriend that looks like she does there is hope for all of us old guys. ( have you seen her ?) Talk about feel

Ping G410 10*  Fujikuri 40g shaft
TM  15* & 19* fairway

TM 790  6-PW

Cleveland 52,56,60  wedges
1990's 2ball

I may not be a low handicapper, but my miss is always heavy and toward the heel.....

Played GI clubs and even just made a foray into UGI/SGI clubs with graphite shafts. Easy to hit, of course. But what a disaster as far as feel for me. Now that I found a set of cheap blades (ones that I've always wanted to game but never felt I could justify paying for btw), there's no going back. I'm in love. High end graphite, though, [i]is[/i] the real deal.

Driver: Honma TW747 10.5*

Fairways: Honma TW747 15* / 18*
Hybrids: Honma TW747 22* / 25*
Irons: Honma TW-X 6-11

Wedges: Honma TW-W4 54* / 58*
Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Juno (33”)

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft (2020)

[quote name='cb24' timestamp='1413697726' post='10313205']

As I said above good luck to everyone in their own choice. Just don't believe the blade or cavity back arguments based on what everyone else says, try it out yourself!
[/quote]

I hear you.

Despite what science is behind the design.

Ive only had 3 sets of clubs. Titleist DCI, Macgregor VIP's, I20's.

Hands down the smaller, harder to hit, unforgiving Macgregor VIPs produce the best scores for me....and by a long way.

Doubt ruins more dreams than failure
ever will - someone on the internet

[quote name='JasonFL' timestamp='1413770979' post='10317339']

[/quote]

I hear you.

Despite what science is behind the design.

Ive only had 3 sets of clubs. Titleist DCI, Macgregor VIP's, I20's.

Hands down the smaller, harder to hit, unforgiving Macgregor VIPs produce the best scores for me....and by a long way.
[/quote]

It's crazy, who knows if it's a mental effect but if the blades work better for someone go with it!!

For me a bad shot is still a bad shot whether it was with the G25 irons I tried out for a couple months or with my S56 I came out of. The smaller head was much easier to manage out of the rough too. It might just be a coincidence but I used to be a good iron player. I used to have a beautiful set of MP14s. Maybe it's just marketing and maybe there is a real advantage to big iron heads for some, but I tried out a series of bigger irons for a few years, getting worse and worse every year until I finally gave up and committed to smaller heads again. I am still struggling to get it back.

"Everyone told me I'd play better with GIs. . . . . . " and no doubt there was an undertone, accusing you of ego-driven strutting. I'd like to know if that was coming from people here, or people at your club? Or both?

The remarkable thing is that anyone would be surprised by your choice to go back to what was working.

It's simple, and many of us have posted it many times: Some golfers have swings that benefit from so-called "G"I technology, and others have swings that benefit from traditional club heads.

The ONLY bad advice, which is quite prevalent here, is to assume "forgiveness" exists in some sort of straight line graph that benefits everyone.

OP, I've shared your experience. It costs money. But it's good you share your story. Everyone should find out for himself what kind of learner he his, what kind of swing he has, and choose the club head that feels right.

ETA in before someone says "Yeah, but you're a ONE!" Folks, clearly the OP wasn't born a 1HC. He got there by feel in his hands, and developing a conscious and unconscious pleasurable response to a certain ball flight, to controlling the ball.

Other people get there by enjoying the confidence inspired by knowing they have technology that will help them if they get a little off.

These are two different kinds of people, two different kinds of brains. Figure out which one you are, run with it, and don't let anyone shame you around here anymore.

[quote name='Chuck_22046' timestamp='1413735533' post='10314493']
I used to play Wilson FG-17's....then moved to the Titleist 680. After being on here, I convinced myself that I had no business playing clubs, that I actually played quite well because they were blades. Bought and sold more irons than I care to think about the settled on a set of Ping S-58. When I didn't whiff or sh*nk it, my miss was towards to toes, which the S58 was very forgiving of. Currently using my TS-202's, which are just stupid forgiving because I haven't been practicing like I should be.

Truth is...I love the feel of a well struck blade. Might be time to dust off some of the Hogans....
[/quote]

Agree with above. I'm currently trying out a set of 588 MB's and am hitting them great. Everything just sets up so much easier with the thin top line, lack of offset, etc., and pure shots feel amazing while not so pure shots aren't nearly as penal as I was expecting (no different than big cavities). Still, for some reason I can't commit to them as I've been programmed by reading (mainly on this site) that I am giving up strokes by not playing some sort of game improvement CB. I've played nothing but CBs (TA5, G15, i20 most recently) up until the 588 MBs, and have never felt as automatic as I do now when I stand over the ball with an iron in my hand. My scoring has stayed the same for the 2 rounds I've tried the blades, and those were with below average putting days. My GIR have stayed about the same (only about 50%), albeit I'm dealing with a very small sample size.

Simple fact is I've hit fewer poor shots with the MBs and my good shots are WAY more enjoyable. So far it's a win-win, but for some reason I've convinced myself that this can't last and I still have no business playing these. Time will tell I guess.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

In the more than 35 years of golf that I have played, I've seen amatuers play all types of irons.

I say with confidence that I have not noticed a correlation between iron type and greens hit in regulation among this group.

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

[quote name='Hit em good' timestamp='1413827432' post='10320297']
In the more than 35 years of golf that I have played, I've seen amatuers play all types of irons.

I say with confidence that I have not noticed a correlation between iron type and greens hit in regulation among this group.
[/quote]

I think this is probably true. Good players are going to be good no matter the iron. Bad players are likewise going to be bad no matter the iron.

[quote name='teckneeklyperfect' timestamp='1413766538' post='10316909']
I would like to try these with graphite shafts, hmmm, may do that this winter
[/quote]
My only experience with graphite in an iron was with the previously mentioned FG-17's. I inexplicably decided to shaft up the 2 iron head I had with a Aldila NV I had laying around. I took it to the range, attempted to supply a mighty swing and proceeded to carve up a beaver pelt about the size of my golf towel, dribbled the ball out about 20 feel (all roll...no carry), and snap the shaft off in the head.

That simultaneously put an end to both my efforts as a club builder, and user of 2 irons. My opinions regarding graphite in irons are....divided.

or
Mizuno MP-650 15* w/ DVS
or
Covert 4 w/ VTS Red
Tourstage TS-202 5-PW
or
Hogan Decade's
Cleveland RTX 2.0 46
Vokey SM5 50 F-Grind
Vokey SM5 56 F-Grind
Ping Pal 4 BeCu

[/quote]

Completely agree

Titleist 910D2 9.5* Tour Issue
TEE XCG7 15*
Srixon Z545 4-PW
Vokey SM6 46* 50* 54* 58*
John Byron DaleHead 2

I hit some titleist 714 MB's that were not for correctly for me just as well as my irons that are. I am currently looking for a set with the right shaft length to mess around with and maybe replace my Ansers.

Put a good good swing on the ball and it doesn't matter what type of iron you are swinging.

Callaway GBB Epic 9*, Aldila Rogue
Ping i25 3w, G400 3hy
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW
Vokey 50* SM7 F, 56* SM7 S, 61* SM5 Raw M
Newport 2 Select

Hit them. If you like them. Play them.

I am not ready to take the leap yet, but I never try to hit a strait shot above a pw and the combination of the club face control and the turf interaction has me thinking about giving it a try.

Callaway GBB Epic 9*, Aldila Rogue
Ping i25 3w, G400 3hy
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW
Vokey 50* SM7 F, 56* SM7 S, 61* SM5 Raw M
Newport 2 Select

Best thread I have read since I have been here!

I am pro blade, but totally think that a club is a personal decision for all, and handicap is a terrible determining factor. If my son wants to learn to play golf, I would consider making him start with blades. Golf is hard, but I think cutting your teeth learning iron feel and striking would only get you from 95 to under 85 faster once you get to 95.

Quick side note. I had back surgery and didn't play for 5 years. Started again this year. First 2 rounds in high 90s with dci 962s, then some in low 90s but I had no sense of hitting the ball. Took mp 14s to the range. Felt like golf again. Gamed them and went right back to 77-83 within a like 3/4 rounds and bought myself some Miuras as a reward for a fast golf recovery. If I stayed with my "players" CBs, I would not have gotton back to form so quickly....that is a fact. So for me, blades are GI clubs.

the thing is .....if you hit it long off the Tee, your most likely not hitting anything longer than an 7-8 iron into any green all day except on some par 3s.....this to me makes it a moot point.. anyone ...yes anyone could play a MB 8 9 pw..... so you've got 1-3 shots possible a round with a 6 iron and longer....so a possible 3 strokes lost if you just totally implode.... that's what the entire debate is about.....

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1413854492' post='10322785']the thing is .....if you hit it long off the Tee, your most likely not hitting anything longer than an 7-8 iron into any green all day except on some par 3s.....this to me makes it a moot point.. anyone ...yes anyone could play a MB 8 9 pw..... so you've got 1-3 shots possible a round with a 6 iron and longer....so a possible 3 strokes lost if you just totally implode.... that's what the entire debate is about.....[/quote]

I would stretch myself to say that most can play blades from 5 and up and then they can use bigger clubs or rescue for 4, 3, 2 or so!
That ain't a bad deal...
I would also say you need more feeling from 130 - 200 yards than 200+!
This aside, the feeling of hitting a really hard 3 iron blade right in the middle of the sweetspot is almost orgasmic compared to other clubs :)

[quote name='L_L' timestamp='1413855204' post='10322889']
[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1413854492' post='10322785']the thing is .....if you hit it long off the Tee, your most likely not hitting anything longer than an 7-8 iron into any green all day except on some par 3s.....this to me makes it a moot point.. anyone ...yes anyone could play a MB 8 9 pw..... so you've got 1-3 shots possible a round with a 6 iron and longer....so a possible 3 strokes lost if you just totally implode.... that's what the entire debate is about.....[/quote]

I would stretch myself to say that most can play blades from 5 and up and then they can use bigger clubs or rescue for 4, 3, 2 or so!
That ain't a bad deal...
I would also say you need more feeling from 130 - 200 yards than 200+!
This aside, the feeling of hitting a really hard 3 iron blade right in the middle of the sweetspot is almost orgasmic compared to other clubs :)
[/quote]

I think I completely agree with everything you wrote....except all i can see is your avatar.

or
Mizuno MP-650 15* w/ DVS
or
Covert 4 w/ VTS Red
Tourstage TS-202 5-PW
or
Hogan Decade's
Cleveland RTX 2.0 46
Vokey SM5 50 F-Grind
Vokey SM5 56 F-Grind
Ping Pal 4 BeCu

Am I the only one who thought of Soul II Soul when reading the thread title?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.