My first torch job! And now SECOND!

And for your enjoyment, my torched blue weights!

[attachment=2536147:blueweights.JPG]

The Big Dog ~ G425 LST | AD UB 6x
The 3 Banger ~ Mavrik MAX | AD DI 7x
The 5 Banger ~ Mavrik SZ | Motore F3 7x

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58
Flatstick ~ Spider X Chalk Stability Tour

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Will sand blasting work as well as bead blasting? I have access to a heavy duty sand blaster at work but sand is the only media we use/are allowed to use. Also, after the blasting, what did you prep with? Scotchbrite? Sandpaper?

TaylorMade M5 10.5* Atmos Black 6x TS
TaylorMade M5 15* Pro 2.0 7x
915Hd 2H & 3H Speeder 904HB X
TaylorMade P790, 4-P DG 105 Stiff
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50SB, 54SB, 60 Hi Toe
TaylorMade DJ Spider 34" UST Frequency Filtered
TP5X

[quote name='CBRADGO' timestamp='1419826275' post='10653867']
Will sand blasting work as well as bead blasting? I have access to a heavy duty sand blaster at work but sand is the only media we use/are allowed to use. Also, after the blasting, what did you prep with? Scotchbrite? Sandpaper?
[/quote]Yes, ok to use sandblaster but on first try don't get the nozzle to close and do a small area on the sole first to make sure it's not to aggressive, then clean and sand. I like to sand with 400, then 1000 and finish with 2000 wet, then 2000 dry and finish with a good polish like flitz or semichrome.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Bringing back the dead.. Gonna try this with my del mar

How did it turn out for you?

I just did another Newport for a buddy:

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58

The finish on that first Newport is absolutely incredible. I just bought a studio select newport 2 and waiting for it to arrive in the mail. I really want to try this but I'm terrified of ruining it. Let me see if I have your process correct.

Sand with 400, clean

Sand with 1000, clean

Wet sand with 2000, clean

Dry sand with 2000, clean.

Steel wool OT even out sanding marks, clean

In oven @ 500°

Tourch for approximately 10 minutes or until desiree color.

Cool over night?

The finish on that first Newport is absolutely incredible. I just bought a studio select newport 2 and waiting for it to arrive in the mail. I really want to try this but I'm terrified of ruining it. Let me see if I have your process correct.

Sand with 400, clean

Sand with 1000, clean

Wet sand with 2000, clean

Dry sand with 2000, clean.

Steel wool OT even out sanding marks, clean

In oven @ 500°

Tourch for approximately 10 minutes or until desiree color.

Cool over night?

Couple of observations:

If your putter is stainless steel, using steel wool can be (potentially) destructive to the putter. The non-stainless metal of the "wool" can get embedded in the putter head and cause pitting or rusting of the stainless. Scotchbrite pads are non-metalic and produce the same result.

Pre-heating in the oven can (potentially) cause an uneven finish on the torch job. Once cleaned, nothing should touch the putter head. Any interaction the putter head has with an oven rack or baking sheet can pass material (dirt or oil, etc.) to the putter head. Guaranteed, when you're done torching, you will see it if the putter head was not completely clean. A heat gun or torch (from a distance) are the most effective pre-heats in my opinion.

Cooling over night is standard, but if you have the ability, quench the head in a bucket of motor oil. It helps seal the finish and bring out the color. I would not suggest this if you are renting or live in an apartment/condo.

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

Looks great man. Love the purples and other notes in the Del Mar. White paint ads a nice touch

TM Stealth 2 Plus 10.5°/Ventus Blue TR 5S
Callaway Paradym 15°/Tensei White
PXG 0317X 19°/Tensei White Raw
Taylormade 23 P770 4&5, P7MC 6-PW/MMT stiff
Vokey SM9 50, 54° & 58°
LAB Golf Link1
ProV1X

Putters look amazing , just a little confused. in order to torch a stainless head that is free of any nicks or lets say is pristine, do you still need to sand. unless I missed something in this process. I have a pristine Select Newport that I would love to try. Is there any chance you could send me the process .

• 2 weeks later...

Putters look amazing , just a little confused. in order to torch a stainless head that is free of any nicks or lets say is pristine, do you still need to sand. unless I missed something in this process. I have a pristine Select Newport that I would love to try. Is there any chance you could send me the process .

If it's a pristine putter, you just need to remove all the paintfill and clean the entire head with acetone and rubber gloves. Don't let the putter touch anything after the cleaning, and start your torching process.

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58

Yes, for sure you still need fresh metal with sanding, then polish and clean. If you don't you will have a surface finish (staining) only that will fade quickly and not last, not to mention you will not be able to achieve the nice colors.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S

Byron Rincon DH89

Yes, for sure you still need fresh metal with sanding, then polish and clean. If you don't you will have a surface finish (staining) only that will fade quickly and not last, not to mention you will not be able to achieve the nice colors.

Oneaugusta is right with his direction here, if you want to achieve a polished 'shiny' torched look like the one in his avatar. This process is what I did with the del mar on page 1. But if you want more of a matte torch finish like the newports I did, you don't want to sand and polish before hand. It may not be as durable, I honestly don't know, but the ones I have done have not worn or lost any color...

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58

I think we are all on the same page. I also do matte finishes not just polished but still sand and polish just not as much, maybe once with 400 and once with 1000. Here's a matte finish with minimal prep.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S

Byron Rincon DH89

I think we are all on the same page. I also do matte finishes not just polished but still sand and polish just not as much, maybe once with 400 and once with 1000. Here's a matte finish with minimal prep.

Well done sir, we are definitely on the same page.

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58

So when you are putting it in the oven, what are you setting it on, to use as a base? I was thinking of a brand new baking sheet?

Just curious, because i am going to try this...

Titleist 915 D4 8.5* Matrix Ozik 72g S
Titleist 910f 13.5 Diamana Ahina 73g
Taylormade Rocketballz Tour 18*
Mizuno MP 64 4-pw PX 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM 56.08 / 60.04
Scotty Cameron Newport Button Back

These look amazing....Would you mind giving a step by step rundown of how you did it? You make it seem so simple but there has to be more to it right? Also, how has the finish held up?

G400 LST -Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
G25 3W - Ping tour X-Flex
G30 5W - Ping Tour X
MP 5 - TI X100
Vokey 50/54/58
DJ Spider Ltd

Couple of questions. (BTW - awesome work)

1 - did you bead blast the Del Mar also, or was that done only to the Newport to remove the old black finish?

2 - what did you do differently between the two? There's a lot more purple/blue in the Del Mar.

3 - in torching those weights, what did you put them on when torching them? That inspired me for a set I have, but I can't figure out how to safely hold them during the torching...

So when you are putting it in the oven, what are you setting it on, to use as a base? I was thinking of a brand new baking sheet?

Just curious, because i am going to try this...

I use an old baking sheet, the key is to remove the weights and make little stands out of tin foil. I make little squares that fit in the weight slots without touching the sides for the putter to sit on.

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58

1 - did you bead blast the Del Mar also, or was that done only to the Newport to remove the old black finish?

2 - what did you do differently between the two? There's a lot more purple/blue in the Del Mar.

3 - in torching those weights, what did you put them on when torching them? That inspired me for a set I have, but I can't figure out how to safely hold them during the torching...

Thanks for the questions.

1 - Bead blasting was only done to the newport. The Del Mar was sanded to remove dings and essentially polished after with 1500 grit

2 - So the newport was baked in the oven then finished off with hand torching to get some of the blues and purples to come out. That's why it looks more uniform. The Del Mar was all hand torched, no oven.

3 - For the weights, I put a scrap piece of aluminium I had laying around in my vice and just set the weights on that.

These look amazing....Would you mind giving a step by step rundown of how you did it? You make it seem so simple but there has to be more to it right? Also, how has the finish held up?

Shoot me a PM with what exactly you are wanting and I'll see how I can help

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58

Thanks for the questions.

1 - Bead blasting was only done to the newport. The Del Mar was sanded to remove dings and essentially polished after with 1500 grit

2 - So the newport was baked in the oven then finished off with hand torching to get some of the blues and purples to come out. That's why it looks more uniform. The Del Mar was all hand torched, no oven.

3 - For the weights, I put a scrap piece of aluminium I had laying around in my vice and just set the weights on that.

Thanks - appreciate the ideas and details. I have an older polished looking set of JYD weights in a new x7m that has the blasted looking finish. They just look out of place together. Maybe torched weights will give the look something more appealing.

Just did an awesome custom Newport for my man mvhoffman!

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58

Just did an awesome custom Newport for my man mvhoffman!

I think he is going to like it!!!

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

Wow helluvah job man! Makes me wish I didn't sell my old scotty's so I could tinker with them.

Thank you! Doesn't have to be a Scotty, a bead blasted Nike Method Matter is killer looking!

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58

In some of the earlier posts where you worked on putters have the "metal ring" around the cavity bombs, did you have any issues with those due to the process?

Not at all, color ends up the same as the rest of the putter. I know it's hard to tell as mine all get the "circle t" big bomb paint treatment...also known as the poor mans circle t paint job haha.

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58

Here are pics of the finished product... thanks buddy :scotty:

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx