2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

This thread has finally wore me down! I have to try the Modus 3 130 x's.

Do it!!! Would love to get some more opinions on flex, feel and flight of the 130X. I really wanted to like them, thought they'd be perfect. I usually like Sergio tour van left overs. But man was that thing stiff and shook my hands and elbows. I like to hit the ball thin, and the 130S was soft enough to help me elevate that thing shot well and filter out the clunky feel of one I got too thin. But the 130X, on my normal shots felt so firm. I tried a buddies in some Titleist 714 AP2' and they weren't as bad as I remembered when I first tried them. But on a full round, I think fatigue would cost me some yards on the back 9 with 130X. Just too stiff for me which my fast temp and late release is saying something.

Will do. I've been playing stiff flex c taper 120's but I feel they are a bit soft now that I'm getting my speed back.

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Played with my s55's 130s yesterday that I actually found were hard stepped once which is actually perfect I think since I'm used to playing x100's and PX 6.5's. Unfortunately I didn't get to hit that many full iron shots because it was very windy.

I did find however they reacted very well to 3/4 knockdowns and definitely felt tons better than both the PX and C Tapers. The weird thing is that I felt like they were softer in the mid-section (supposed to be firmer)but maybe it was the softness of the butt I was feeling. It will take a bit to adjust but so far so good. I did like how the knock downs I hit didn't start low rise and balloon they seemed to reach their apex a little quicker but flatten out.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

I play the 130's in stiff as well and love them. I've somewhat considered trying the 125's but in all honesty, there is not a single thing wrong with how the 130's play for me. Played PX 6.0 and C-Taper stiff before. Pairing the 130's with the Wilson FG tour heads is a SOFT combination. Best feeling irons i've ever hit and I can say the shaft definitely adds to that feel. Haven't had many chances to work on partial shots with them yet, but full shots are great. Mid-high with no ballooning whatsoever so far.

Srixon Z 545 9.5* w/Aldila Tour Blue 65X
Ping G25 15* w/VTS Silver 7X
Ping G25 17* w/VTS Black 85HX
Wilson FG Tour V4 3-P w/Modus3 Tour 130S
FG Tour TC 52, 58 w/DG S400
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14
WITB Link

Mark I need some help!

I had a fitting today I was spinning 7 irons from high 7000 to over 9000 with the modus3 120's. My fitter said they balloon way to much. I've been play these for the last 4 years! Any suggestions?

Thanks

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Mark I need some help!

I had a fitting today I was spinning 7 irons from high 7000 to over 9000 with the modus3 120's. My fitter said they balloon way to much. I've been play these for the last 4 years! Any suggestions?

Thanks

Well as most will tell you you're probably swinging too steep with a negative angle of attack. So shafts can only do so much to help that.

Maybe switch up to 120X if you love the feel which seems like you might if you like that Rogue Black. You like softer butt shafts. 120S might be too soft as it does tend to play soft to flex, especially for someone with a quick tempo or steep with lag. I'd also suggest trying a Tour125 S hardstepped once. I don't think the weight will be an issue since you're swinging an 80g FWY shaft already. It may provide a little better feel of how the head is being delivered to the ball and help get you on a flatter AoA.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Mark I need some help!

Thanks

Well as most will tell you you're probably swinging too steep with a negative angle of attack. So shafts can only do so much to help that.

Maybe switch up to 120X if you love the feel which seems like you might if you like that Rogue Black. You like softer butt shafts. 120S might be too soft as it does tend to play soft to flex, especially for someone with a quick tempo or steep with lag. I'd also suggest trying a Tour125 S hardstepped once. I don't think the weight will be an issue since you're swinging an 80g FWY shaft already. It may provide a little better feel of how the head is being delivered to the ball and help get you on a flatter AoA.

Oh good call! I thought I was a little steep. He suggested D5 swing wait will that make the 125's to heavy? If I get swing flatter will the 125's still workout?

Thanks!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Mark I need some help!

Thanks

Same with me as well when I had the 120s. Played one round with them and noticed that I was always short. Took to my fitter and I was spinning them way to much. The extra weight in the tip was causing my AOA to be much steeper than normal with my swing. I'm currently playing 105 and they are perfect

quick question..

I play s400 in my wedges now and like them very much.. play to a 2. Which Nippons would you suggest for wedges that would give me a slightly higher ball flight over the s400?

would you do 125 modus 3 or 115's?

Thanks

I had the same, and put the modus 125 wedge shaft in my 54 and 58 and really like them. Weight is about the same but instead of over all shaft and head weight it's a little more head heavy if that makes sense. I'm glad I switched. Ball flight is flatter and lower and same amount of spin for me

quick question..

I play s400 in my wedges now and like them very much.. play to a 2. Which Nippons would you suggest for wedges that would give me a slightly higher ball flight over the s400?

Thanks

I had the same, and put the modus 125 wedge shaft in my 54 and 58 and really like them. Weight is about the same but instead of over all shaft and head weight it's a little more head heavy if that makes sense. I'm glad I switched. Ball flight is flatter and lower and same amount of spin for me

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

quick question..

Thanks

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]

Not sure why it posted 3 times. My bad :) guess I really like them!

Mark I need some help!

Thanks

Oh good call! I thought I was a little steep. He suggested D5 swing wait will that make the 125's to heavy? If I get swing flatter will the 125's still workout?

Thanks!

Hey, when I flattened my swing the 120s worked better and my spin came down. However it wasn't my swing and it didn't make sense to change my swing to fit the shaft. Plus my swing wasn't overly steep, I actually had a decent AOA.

If you are referring to the 125, I had them in a set of mp 5s and they are fine. Quite different than the 120s. However, I liked a lighter shaft so I swapped the 125 out for the 105.

quick question..

Thanks

I'd stay with the s400.

@therealping

quick question..

Thanks

You have options. 130S would be my suggestion to get higher launch with similar feel and the wedge shaft clocks in at 124g but feels like 130g in your hands since the weight is all in the butt and mid section. This shaft has a softer tip on it and gives a nice pop on chips and pitches. Sergio uses the 130X model and a few others use the 130X/130S in wedges so it is proven to be a usable wedge shaft on tour.

For the Modus Wedge models, 125 is going to be closer because of the weight (S400 is 132, Modus Wedge 125 is 133.) It feels very similar to the S200 wedge shaft IMO which is basically the stock wedge shaft in Japan. Vokey uses it I believe there. To me it feels lighter and crisper than S400. 125 wedge creates a bit of a ballooning shot on purpose. It is lower launch and higher spin. Has a softer lower mid section. Suppose it could be compared to the performance of a DG Spinner type shaft but to me feels more like an S200 which is odd since it is heavier than S400 but feels lighter in your hands.

I prefer the iron version of the Tour125 in my GW, I play X, you could play S, has a nice pronounced kick like the S400 but I find it to be slightly higher launch but slightly lower spin than S400. I don't need the added spin so for me the stiffer tip of the Tour125 iron shaft is better than the Wedge 125. But if you want more spin the wedge is the way to go.

Finally if you can find one, the older Super Peening Orange in a wedge length could work. Would be similar IMO to the Tour125 iron shaft. I'd say S400 and Super Peening Blue are more similar and the SPO is slightly higher launch and spin than SPB so theoretically the SPO wedge should be slightly higher than S400 also.

Do it!!! Would love to get some more opinions on flex, feel and flight of the 130X. I really wanted to like them, thought they'd be perfect. I usually like Sergio tour van left overs. But man was that thing stiff and shook my hands and elbows. I like to hit the ball thin, and the 130S was soft enough to help me elevate that thing shot well and filter out the clunky feel of one I got too thin. But the 130X, on my normal shots felt so firm. I tried a buddies in some Titleist 714 AP2' and they weren't as bad as I remembered when I first tried them. But on a full round, I think fatigue would cost me some yards on the back 9 with 130X. Just too stiff for me which my fast temp and late release is saying something.

I felt the same way, used the 130x last year for a while and thought they would be the perfect shaft for me and I wouldn't look elsewhere. But after some time with them and during some rounds where I wasn't swinging my best, it took a lot of effort for me to load the shafts and they felt very stiff. I tried them again the other day when I came across a used set of FH1000 with the 130x at my local golf shop and tried them on the monitor. Again, felt very stiff to me and took a lot to swing them to get get solid contact.

This is coming from someone who plays PX 7.0 in my current irons. I wanted to like the 130x but just didn't work for me, especially when I'm not swinging my best.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

I felt the same way, used the 130x last year for a while and thought they would be the perfect shaft for me and I wouldn't look elsewhere. But after some time with them and during some rounds where I wasn't swinging my best, it took a lot of effort for me to load the shafts and they felt very stiff. I tried them again the other day when I came across a used set of FH1000 with the 130x at my local golf shop and tried them on the monitor. Again, felt very stiff to me and took a lot to swing them to get get solid contact.

This is coming from someone who plays PX 7.0 in my current irons. I wanted to like the 130x but just didn't work for me, especially when I'm not swinging my best.

Glad I went with the 130s hsx1

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

^drvrwdge, yeah I think that's a good call. Either that or 130x ssx1, just to keep the weight.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

Just got a new combo set of 716s... 4-6 in TMB and 7-W in AP2... As we speak I am having a set of Prototype C10s installed that have been in my basement for 4 months waiting for the right heads. I honestly can't wait!! What can I expect out of these shafts (SSx1) versus my current set of 712 AP2 with CTaper 130X (no stepping)?

Just got a new combo set of 716s... 4-6 in TMB and 7-W in AP2... As we speak I am having a set of Prototype C10s installed that have been in my basement for 4 months waiting for the right heads. I honestly can't wait!! What can I expect out of these shafts (SSx1) versus my current set of 712 AP2 with CTaper 130X (no stepping)?

C10 S is like an S600. It isn't insanely stiff being it is not the X version but it is very heavy. I find it has excellent control and feel and lots of power behind the ball at impact. As I've said, the best wedge shaft I have ever played.

C10X on the other hand is incredibly stiff and with the heavy weight it really requires a strong person to wield them. C10S IMO is in the comfort zone for people that play S400 and X100 or SPB users in either Stiff hsx1 or X ssx1.

C-Taper 130x vs. C10 Stiff I'm going to expect the C10 will feel slightly softer with a touch more kick but should be really. Especially since you are soft-stepping them. CTaper X is closer to the C10X but C10 X is like 136-138g. Crazy stuff. Ctaper 130 is as advertised...130g. C10 is like a tighter heavier Tour125. Close to the original SPB IMO. So maybe like a heavier C-Taper 130 Stiff with better feel. Report back!

Good shafts, you'll love them!

C10 S is like an S600. It isn't insanely stiff being it is not the X version but it is very heavy. I find it has excellent control and feel and lots of power behind the ball at impact. As I've said, the best wedge shaft I have ever played.

C10X on the other hand is incredibly stiff and with the heavy weight it really requires a strong person to wield them. C10S IMO is in the comfort zone for people that play S400 and X100 or SPB users in either Stiff hsx1 or X ssx1.

C-Taper 130x vs. C10 Stiff I'm going to expect the C10 will feel slightly softer with a touch more kick but should be really. Especially since you are soft-stepping them. CTaper X is closer to the C10X but C10 X is like 136-138g. Crazy stuff. Ctaper 130 is as advertised...130g. C10 is like a tighter heavier Tour125. Close to the original SPB IMO. So maybe like a heavier C-Taper 130 Stiff with better feel. Report back!

They are actually C10 X flex SSx1... So they will probably be similar stiffness as my CTapers, just a little heavier?

I was trying to find something to lower my ball flight. Swing speed is 115 mph with the driver but I have a quick transition. I have heard these will perform like my CTapers, but will feel much more like a DG shaft.

Mark I need some help!

Thanks

Thanks!

Hey, when I flattened my swing the 120s worked better and my spin came down. However it wasn't my swing and it didn't make sense to change my swing to fit the shaft. Plus my swing wasn't overly steep, I actually had a decent AOA.

If you are referring to the 125, I had them in a set of mp 5s and they are fine. Quite different than the 120s. However, I liked a lighter shaft so I swapped the 125 out for the 105.

How do your 105's compare to the 120's for you? Ball flight, spin, distance, dispersion? What swing weight do you play? My fitter wants me to go D5, with the 105's would that feel like a bowling ball on the end of a string?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

They are actually C10 X flex SSx1... So they will probably be similar stiffness as my CTapers, just a little heavier?

I was trying to find something to lower my ball flight. Swing speed is 115 mph with the driver but I have a quick transition. I have heard these will perform like my CTapers, but will feel much more like a DG shaft.

Well, if I were gonna use C10X I would for sure soft step them. They are pretty beefy. I am slightly slower than you swinging a driver but also a quick tempo. Even soft-stepping these are pretty beefy. Should feel flex wise similar to CTaper 130 but I'd expect smoother in terms of less vibration. Flight will depend if you can load the shaft properly or not. Too stiff and you can either hit it low bullets or actually high moon balls. Depends on the golfer. I doubt they will be too soft.

After a little bit of time in with the 125X here are my numbers with the vapor fly pro 4iron. I am really pleased and installing these in the rest of my irons. I upgraded the shaft in the 4i when I ordered it.

Mark I need some help!

Thanks

Thanks!

How do your 105's compare to the 120's for you? Ball flight, spin, distance, dispersion? What swing weight do you play? My fitter wants me to go D5, with the 105's would that feel like a bowling ball on the end of a string?

The 105s are longer than the 120s for me. Spin is about 1000 rpms lower on the 105. Dispersion is about the same. It's like having a ball on a string with the nippons. Flight is subjective but the 105 has a flat trajectory and looks to be lower than the 120, but that could be because I spun it so much and it just shot up.

I had the 125s installed to a d2 swing weight and they came in perfect on my mp5 heads. If you were to do the 105s to d5, I think the balance will feel really off....

I didn't want to change the feel of the 105 so I had them installed straight in. I didn't care what swing weight they came to. They feel perfect to me. And honestly, I can't tell the difference between swing weights.

C10 S is like an S600. It isn't insanely stiff being it is not the X version but it is very heavy.

Sounds like my kind of party LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Well, if I were gonna use C10X I would for sure soft step them. They are pretty beefy. I am slightly slower than you swinging a driver but also a quick tempo. Even soft-stepping these are pretty beefy. Should feel flex wise similar to CTaper 130 but I'd expect smoother in terms of less vibration. Flight will depend if you can load the shaft properly or not. Too stiff and you can either hit it low bullets or actually high moon balls. Depends on the golfer. I doubt they will be too soft.

Thanks Mark, as always for your insight! Yeah I will report back the results compared to CTapers in a week or 2.

Mark - I scoured the internet before asking this question so forgive me if it is out there and I am an idiot for not seeing it... Do you know the FCM numbers for the Nippon shafts? I found the matrix that Smoky25 / Howard Jones posted but only saw DG, KBS and Project X included.

I don't have FCM numbers. I posted an equivalency chart, think the first one is on page 7, others were posted after but it was my attempt to try to gauge where each Nippon would fall in line with shafts from DG, PX and KBS.