It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

Played them with KBS Tour X, C Tapers and DG X100. The Nippons are by far my favorite, very similar overall in numbers to the C Taper S+ but they just feel so much better and I didn't hate the C Taper feel... Not sure I'll ever play an other shaft, just need to get them in the wedges now.

Nice. I have them in the wedges, how do you plan to get a consistent flex being hardstepped on the wedges? I recently did an sm6 fitting, and they liked me in x100 for the wedges....I'm kinda torn on which one to go with. As for the 130 HS, and playing all those other shafts basically in x, do you find yourself thinking you could have gone stiffer?

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

Havent really thought about it in the wedges. May just go 130 S straight in, I like my wedges a little softer in flex or I may try one of their new wedge shafts.

As far as going stiffer, I was a little concerned with it at first (play X in all my woods and hybrid) but I was told the 130's played a little stiff to flex and I have a late release and don't load the shaft super hard even though my driver ss is 112-117 so I can get away with a softer flex if I choose to do so. Ive even played s300's with a lot of success. Actually dropped my spin numbers when compared to the x100.

All that being said after playing a few rounds with the 130s in S hsx1 I don't really think I needed to go to the x. I could play them all day if I wanted but I don't think there would be any advantage unless I was looking for a firmer feel. No concerns with launch or spin with the S hsx1.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

Does anyone have any info on the 120TX flex. Coming from C-taper 130X straight in but i need something easier on my hands and wrists as im recovering from a TFCC tear in my wrist. I picked up the 120TX 2-pw for a steal of $150 today. Wondering what to expect. I have a set of Nippon 130X at home that i tried and found them to balloon on me. Feel was great and didnt feel boardy at all. Just didnt like the flight.

Any help is appreciated.

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM SIM Ti 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • Apex UW 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7X
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

For those wondering why I didn't get Nippons in my PSis...I put the decision in the trusted hands of the fitter.

Bottom line: love Nippon shafts.

#1 complaint I hear constantly about Nippon is just how hard it is find. Not every fitter has a Tour105 and most fitters fit you into what they have. You have to go to a specialty place like HotStix or something like that to really test everything. I'd just be careful of buying what is standard because that is the cheapest and available. Might cost more in the long run when you end up not being happy with what you bought.

Yeah, they only had the 950 in a regular and he immediately ruled that out. Even with my slower swing speed, he was insistent that the DG SL S300 was the way to go. The iron/shaft combo has been okay for me, but far from what I expected. The MP54s I came out of weren't nearly as forgiving, but feel and distance, especially with the NS Pros...are something I've missed since getting into the PSi set.

Custom ordered the Srixons/Modus 105 from a shop I trust and the Cleveland rep just happened to be in the store the day I called in the order. I'm sure I'll report how it all comes out. Fingers crossed.

I might have missed this part. Did you go with 105 stiff or regular? I am like you I am kind of in between Regular and Stiff. I have soft stepped my 120 stiff and Mark has suggested soft stepping 105 S or straight in with 105 regular. As I get older, I swing speed just keeps dropping!

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

Well...after going back and forth several times a day for the last few weeks between Ping i25's and s55's, I ordered the s55 with Modus3 105 stiff shafts straight in. I have been a solid user of KBS shafts for quite awhile now and they have felt great and done very well for me. But after hitting these Modus shafts, I have to say I may have been converted. I have been hitting the s55 and i25 on a Trackman a couple times a week for a few weeks and going back and forth between the Modus and the KBS Tour in both heads. Numbers wise, they are both so very close its been extremely difficult to decide. In the end, its the smooth yet soft feel of the Modus/s55 combo that won me over.

I gave up my s55's with KBS tours in them last year and switched to a set of Mizunos. Now going back to the Pings and really looking forward to gaming these.

I might have missed this part. Did you go with 105 stiff or regular? I am like you I am kind of in between Regular and Stiff. I have soft stepped my 120 stiff and Mark has suggested soft stepping 105 S or straight in with 105 regular. As I get older, I swing speed just keeps dropping!

I went with the 105 in stiff.

Saw your post when you mentioned that you went to softstepped 120s. Made me rethink my order but decided to stick with it since that's what I got fit into. I was able to turn the ball over...granted that was just the simulator. Hoping I don't regret it. For what it's worth, he had me try PX 6.0s and I couldn't turn those over. They're legitimately too stiff for me. I think the 120s are much truer to flex based on my fitting. Or...I psychologically was going after it a little harder because I know I don't do as well with heavier shafts.

My swingspeed with my 6 iron was hovering right at 73-75mph. It's more of a regular flex spec swingspeed, but I've been fit multiple times and even though I lean toward regular, fitters like my results better with stiff.

I definitely hear you about the age factor!

9* TM M5 w/GD AD BB-6
15* TM M6 w/Atmos
19* TM SIM Max w/Ventus Blue
Callaway Apex '19 w/KBS Tour
Callaway MD5 54*
Callaway PM Grind '19 58*
Odyssey StrokeLab Ten S (Tour only NO sightline) 33"

If anyone is interested in a mint set of 716mb with modus 130x soft stepped, shoot me a pm.  They are so similar to my mp4, I will let them go.  A few still have plastic on them...fantastic clubs, just want something that's different than what I already have....

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

So I read most of this thread...wow its long!

But thought I would contribute as well. I have been gaming PX 5.5's and just picked up a combo 545/745/945 Srixons with Tour 120 x shafts in them.

Stuck them in a loft lie machine, changed the grips out and went to the range late this afternoon. Took 3 irons, 4, 6 and an 8. Warmed up like normal and started working with my 6 and 8 iron from my JPX850 forged with the PX's...then I switched to the Srixons. Huge amount of kick to these shafts and smooth. I have a very quick temp with an aggressive transition and swing a 6iron in the higher 80's.

After I hit about 10 shots with a quarter size mark on the face of the club I started hitting the other 2 irons I brought. Initial flight is lower, but surprisingly climbs higher, but not ballooning. I was hitting into a mild head wind today at the range, and the nippons were going higher, but further and straighter than the PX's....and they feel great!

1 day on the range, so take it with a grain of salt...but very promising for tomorrows round.

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 6-U Dynamic Gold Mid

MG4 54/58 DG

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

So I read most of this thread...wow its long!

But thought I would contribute as well. I have been gaming PX 5.5's and just picked up a combo 545/745/945 Srixons with Tour 120 x shafts in them.

Stuck them in a loft lie machine, changed the grips out and went to the range late this afternoon. Took 3 irons, 4, 6 and an 8. Warmed up like normal and started working with my 6 and 8 iron from my JPX850 forged with the PX's...then I switched to the Srixons. Huge amount of kick to these shafts and smooth. I have a very quick temp with an aggressive transition and swing a 6iron in the higher 80's.

After I hit about 10 shots with a quarter size mark on the face of the club I started hitting the other 2 irons I brought. Initial flight is lower, but surprisingly climbs higher, but not ballooning. I was hitting into a mild head wind today at the range, and the nippons were going higher, but further and straighter than the PX's....and they feel great!

1 day on the range, so take it with a grain of salt...but very promising for tomorrows round.

Had the exact experience in Miz MP 69. Nippon seem to bore thru the wind with little distance loss

"Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA

www.dougferreri.com

Just got back from my first round with them...WOW!! Best iron game I have had in a long time. I gained about 5 -7 yards distance per club, even into the wind. Awesome combo, looking for another set of these shafts.

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

MG4 54/58 DG

Callaway Chrome Tour

Anyone hit the Tour 105 x-stiff? I am a long time c-taper stiff player looking for a little more height. I hit the Tour 105 stiff and was impressed with the flight, but I am a little worried about the weight drop. They clearly launched higher for me compared to the c-tapers. Figured perhaps x-stiff soft-stepped once or twice might be a good option just to close the gap on weight a little. Smooth 6 iron distance for me is 175. I am going to demo the Tour 130s as well given that higher launch is my goal.

Anyone hit the Tour 105 x-stiff? I am a long time c-taper stiff player looking for a little more height. I hit the Tour 105 stiff and was impressed with the flight, but I am a little worried about the weight drop. They clearly launched higher for me compared to the c-tapers. Figured perhaps x-stiff soft-stepped once or twice might be a good option just to close the gap on weight a little. Smooth 6 iron distance for me is 175. I am going to demo the Tour 130s as well given that higher launch is my goal.

Typically 130 would be the place to start, but I'm struggling to see performance differences with any iron shaft at the moment. I'm starting to believe it's all feel based, and we adjust our swings according to that feel, and hence you have variations in numbers.

@therealping

You should be fine with the Modus 105 X. I play this shaft and I've been VERY impressed. Played Modus 120 X for 4 years prior. I've picked up higher launch, less spin and more ball speed. BOOM!

TSR3 10º Driver @ 9.25º - LinQ M40X Blue 6F5     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb @ 19º - LinQ M40X White Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

You should be fine with the Modus 105 X. I play this shaft and I've been VERY impressed. Played Modus 120 X for 4 years prior. I've picked up higher launch, less spin and more ball speed. BOOM!

Thanks. Yes, they definitely lived up to this thread and all of the great advice. Smooth swings were launching nicely and flying plenty into a strong cross wind. I am leaning towards the Tour 105 x-stiffs for the weight. Will probably soft step once for the added comfort of dialing it down and going after it when needed, if that makes any sense. I like to hit a lot of 3/4 shots. Anyone switch from KBS Tour-Vs? They simply spun way too much for me, hence the C-Tapers. From what I've read it sounds like the Tour 130s are similar to the Tour-Vs in terms of being stiff, stiff and softer in the tip? Perhaps I should just stop at the Tour 105s...they were good.

Thanks. Yes, they definitely lived up to this thread and all of the great advice. Smooth swings were launching nicely and flying plenty into a strong cross wind. I am leaning towards the Tour 105 x-stiffs for the weight. Will probably soft step once for the added comfort of dialing it down and going after it when needed, if that makes any sense. I like to hit a lot of 3/4 shots. Anyone switch from KBS Tour-Vs? They simply spun way too much for me, hence the C-Tapers. From what I've read it sounds like the Tour 130s are similar to the Tour-Vs in terms of being stiff, stiff and softer in the tip? Perhaps I should just stop at the Tour 105s...they were good.

Yes stop on the 105's. Great shafts! I have the 105x hard stepped once and they are magical for me. I'm coming from the x100's and the Apollo CWS in x stiff. The 105's put those shafts to shame imo.

Yes stop on the 105's. Great shafts! I have the 105x hard stepped once and they are magical for me. I'm coming from the x100's and the Apollo CWS in x stiff. The 105's put those shafts to shame imo.

That's what I was thinking. Good advice. MP-55s with Tour 105s...my mouth is already watering. Thanks all. Great thread.

That's what I was thinking. Good advice. MP-55s with Tour 105s...my mouth is already watering. Thanks all. Great thread.

Please post your thoughts when you have a chance to hit your irons. The weight drop has stopped me from getting the 105 s flex.

"Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA

www.dougferreri.com

Otw...will do but I'm still mulling it over. I am going to demo the 120s and 130s before making the call. It turns out that Mizuno Japan doesn't offer the 105s so I'd have to jump through hoops to get them. Spent some time on the Mizuno shaft optimizer and my release factor was consistently 2/3. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's a late release so the 130s should be good? That plus I'm looking for higher launch and coming from c-tapers.

Read through the thread and looking for some advice on Wedge Flex shafts from Nippon. I currently game the 950GH's in stiff and they are a great fit for me. Got fitted into this shaft about a year ago. What wedge shaft would be a good transition? Currently I'm losing a lot of gapping between my PW and 50° and feel the shaft can close that up a bit.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Hybrid: Titleist 818H 21°

Irons: Titleist T150 5-PW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 F-Grind 50° S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Ping Oslo 3

I think a set of 105's in the long irons and 120's in the short irons would be pretty interesting!

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

I have a few rounds and a couple 9 hole matches on these shafts so far.....love em! Best feeling and accurate shaft I have ever played. I was surprised to go from a PX 5.5 to the 120x, but they fit me really well! Super smooth, but they will stay with you through your biggest swing.

I played today in NC and hit shots I havent hit before....insane accuracy and with a little warmth outside, I am excited to see what the spring and summer distances will bring!

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

MG4 54/58 DG

Callaway Chrome Tour

I got the Modus 125 S put in my 52* vokey and the Modus 125 wedge in my 56. Really like both!

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

I got the Modus 125 S put in my 52* vokey and the Modus 125 wedge in my 56. Really like both!

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

I currently play a set of Nippon wv 115 wedge shafts in my wedges and modus 105 in my irons. I'm interested in the modus wedge shaft and wondering if it has the same feel and release as the modus 105.

how do you like the wedge shafts? I am looking into switching them from KBS Tour V's

WITB
Driver: TM Qi 10 Core 10.5 Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X 
3Wood:TM TI Stealth 3 wood Oban Purple 75 X 
6 Wood: TM TI Stealth 2 Ventus TR Blue 8s
4 iron: TM TI P770 '21 Lo Nippon GOST TS 

Irons: 5 TM TI P760 KBS Tour V 125
6-PW TM TI P7MC KBS Tour V 125 (thanks D_Coop86)  
Wedges: TM TI Hi-Toe 2 51-56-60* KBS 610
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X 5r "Knuckle-neck" w Accra FX 400/Garsen Quad Pro Grip
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x Left Dash

I think a set of 105's in the long irons and 120's in the short irons would be pretty interesting!

I was think 125's in short. Just curious, why are you thinking 120's?

125's would work as well. In fact, 105's could probably be mixed with any of the other Modus shafts in the long irons if you really wanted to based on weight.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

I was think 125's in short. Just curious, why are you thinking 120's?

125's would work as well. In fact, 105's could probably be mixed with any of the other Modus shafts in the long irons if you really wanted to based on weight.

If the LSL comes out and fits in between I think a 105/LSL/125 would be a cool experiment.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter