2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

Can anyone compare the Modus 105/ST to Dyanamic Gold Superlight?

Thanks

From what I know of SL, both have a rather stiff tip section for being such a light shaft. I believe the SL cut are at or just under 100g while the Tour105 is a little heavier. I've read mixed reviews on the SL, they seem like a shaft that cannot hang with faster speeds while we all know the Tour105 is on tour in a lot of bags. SL complaints are usually too high and easy to go left. Tour105 I didn't hit it too high, medium to mid-high, but manageable. My issue was the weight was so drastically light compared to my Tour130's at the time I just couldn't get the timing down for my hands to release. I flipped it early a lot and hit it left. I think I'd need to progression step down my shaftweights to get to Tour105. I'd need a 120ish gram shaft first then a 115g-ish shaft. I think Tour105 X cut is like 110g? Not positive, someone else might know. I keep hoping to hear more from Nippon on the LSL proto they had at the PGA Demo Day. Supposed to be a 118g-ish shaft along the feel lines of Tour125/Tour105 with lower launch and spin. I've hit it twice, hope it comes retail this year. Have to wait and see.

Modus 105 X Stiff cut is around 113.1g.

http://www.golfshaftreviews.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/NipponM3Tvs1050.gif

Titleist TSR2 10 Ventus Blue
Taylormade Stealth 2 5W
Taylormade Stealth 4H VA Slay 85 S
Mizuno Pro 225 Nippon Modus 115 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 - Nippon Modus 3 Wedge 115

Taylormade Spider Putter

950gh are no charge. 120 Modus are $25/club upcharge.

Can someone compare/contrast(flex, flight , spin) these two shafts for me please? Nobody near me has them to demo, so I'm buying blind here....thanks!

Wouldn't go blind if I was you.

I've made that mistake.

Theres also like a 20 gram difference between those two shafts.

Modus 120 is suted to early release players. 950GH more mid release.

Titleist TSR2 10 Ventus Blue
Taylormade Stealth 2 5W
Taylormade Stealth 4H VA Slay 85 S
Mizuno Pro 225 Nippon Modus 115 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 - Nippon Modus 3 Wedge 115

Taylormade Spider Putter

950gh are no charge. 120 Modus are $25/club upcharge.

Can someone compare/contrast(flex, flight , spin) these two shafts for me please? Nobody near me has them to demo, so I'm buying blind here....thanks!

Wouldn't go blind if I was you.

I've made that mistake.

Theres also like a 20 gram difference between those two shafts.

Modus 120 is suted to early release players. 950GH more mid release.

The raw shafts differ in length by 2 inches, so the trimmed weight of the shafts only differ by about 10g. The 950 has a much softer tip than the 120, so conventional wisdom would suggest the 950 for someone with an early release. That said, you don't know until you hit them...

I am wanting to put a Modus Tour 120 on my 50* vokey wedge. I am trying to determine if hard stepping a 120 S would end up being softer or firmer? Am I just cutting out the hard tip or will the whole club play a bit stiffer? Or is there so little difference, I may as well just use the 120 S straight in. Thanks for any advice. Fantastic thread

I am wanting to put a Modus Tour 120 on my 50* vokey wedge. I am trying to determine if hard stepping a 120 S would end up being softer or firmer? Am I just cutting out the hard tip or will the whole club play a bit stiffer? Or is there so little difference, I may as well just use the 120 S straight in. Thanks for any advice. Fantastic thread

There is no way to hard step a wedge so you would technically be soft stepping. It will raise the flight/launch a touch but prob not enough to make a difference. I would just pick up a 120s wedge shaft, install and butt cut. The other option that some have done is go to a 120x 8 iron and install and butt cut, this should bring the flight down and spin a touch more. If it were me I would stick with the 120s iron pitching wedge shaft if you are hitting 120s now

950gh are no charge. 120 Modus are $25/club upcharge. Can someone compare/contrast(flex, flight , spin) these two shafts for me please? Nobody near me has them to demo, so I'm buying blind here....thanks!
Wouldn't go blind if I was you. I've made that mistake. Theres also like a 20 gram difference between those two shafts. Modus 120 is suted to early release players. 950GH more mid release.
The raw shafts differ in length by 2 inches, so the trimmed weight of the shafts only differ by about 10g. The 950 has a much softer tip than the 120, so conventional wisdom would suggest the 950 for someone with an early release. That said, you don't know until you hit them...

What he said. I have both and the 950s are 97g in the set I have and the 120s are 106g(both cut to same playing length).

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

950gh are no charge. 120 Modus are $25/club upcharge. Can someone compare/contrast(flex, flight , spin) these two shafts for me please? Nobody near me has them to demo, so I'm buying blind here....thanks!
Wouldn't go blind if I was you. I've made that mistake. Theres also like a 20 gram difference between those two shafts. Modus 120 is suted to early release players. 950GH more mid release.

What he said. I have both and the 950s are 97g in the set I have and the 120s are 106g(both cut to same playing length).

I played MP-53/NS Pro 950 before getting 716CB/Modus 120. Both stiff flex. IIRC, the Mizuno shaft optimizer put me into the C-Taper Lite or 1150. I think my swing must have changed a bit over the years as I was previously fit into the 950s. Accuracy (left to right dispersion) was the main reason I made the switch but it's only slightly improved.

What I got instead was a different big bonus: more carry distance. Shots with the CB/120 hold the greens better than the MP53/950 even though I'm hitting a club longer throughout the set. Truly drop and stop performance. I don't know if it's the iron or the shaft... probably a combination of both?

Anyways, I have a gapping issue now between the iron-set PW (47*) and my GW (50* RTX 2.0). I normally have 10yd gaps between clubs but my PW carries 130yds and the GW only 110yds. Makes me think I should reshaft but then again perhaps I should just get some shiny new SM6's with 120? :)

One more thing... the last time I got fitted, the Modus shafts weren't on the Mizuno optimizer. This is probably why it spit out the 1150 as one of my options. If your swing/game is closer to the 950, go with it. On the other hand, if you're closer to the 1150, choose the 120 and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Feel-wise, I find both the 950 and 120 to be super smooth with the 120 being "tighter" overall. Not just stiffer, but tighter. This might just be because it's a better fit for me, but IMO, it's probably because of the unique shaft profile. Hope this helps.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

I have 5-6 months with the Modus3 130's. They definitely feel better than anything I've hit, dispersion seems to have tightened up a bit and I like that the weigh less the the DG's. Probably will be my choice for the foreseeable future.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

Currently using DG Pro X100s. If Nippon has it, looking for the same feel but a more penetrating ball flight. Thanks.

Try the 125X, I switched from the dg pros x100. I'm glad I did!

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

Currently using DG Pro X100s. If Nippon has it, looking for the same feel but a more penetrating ball flight. Thanks.

Better feel? And thanks for the reply.

Way better feel. More consistent ball fligh. Penetrating mid to high launch for me. Spins low but still lands and stops on the green for me. Gained about a 1/2 club to full club in distance. And that's swinging smoother and easier.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]

Way better feel. More consistent ball fligh. Penetrating mid to high launch for me. Spins low but still lands and stops on the green for me. Gained about a 1/2 club to full club in distance. And that's swinging smoother and easier.

This is sounding better. Does it feel stiff? Sometimes I feel like I really have to work to get the DG to perform? These offered by Bridgestone.

This is sounding better. Does it feel stiff? Sometimes I feel like I really have to work to get the DG to perform? These offered by Bridgestone.

Not at all. They are not harsh feeling at all like PX. Smooth feeling shaft. I would say it's slightly softer than what you have but performs 1000 times better.

Anyone have experience with playing nippons 120 125 an inch longer? Is the flex a lot softer with the extra inch in length?

I have hit the 120 at +1 inch. I didn't care for them, but I think that's because the 120 gives you that head heavy feel, and since it was a titleist AP2 head, the swing weight was very high. If it was Mizuno or someone who makes lighter heads, I think it would be fine. I compared them to my PX 5.5, and to me the 120 launched lower. Too low for my liking. Felt good though.

Have the 120's in my old titleist zb's I agree they definitely helped with dispersion. My heads are not as heavy as Ap2's. Feel is better to me as well. rplaced DG s300's

[list]
[*]Taylormade R15 with Hzrdus Black 6.0
[*]Taylormade Jetspeed 15*
[*]Razr Fit 18* Diamana Ahina ion 80 x5ct
[*]Adams A12 Proto g 3031 20*
[*]Titleist ZB 4-pw Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 120
[*]Cleveland CG15 52-54 Ping Eye 2 SW 58.5
[*]Scotty Cameron Del Mar Two Tel3
[/list]

Mark, first, your information on this thread is awesome. Very much appreciated. Are you aware of any Nippon shafts that would be similar to the KBS C-Taper Lite 115 x? 1050gh, 1150gh tour? I'm thinking 1050gh, but wanted your thoughts. Thanks!

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 52*, PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 56*, PX 6.5 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Anyone have experience with playing nippons 120 125 an inch longer? Is the flex a lot softer with the extra inch in length?

I have hit the 120 at +1 inch. I didn't care for them, but I think that's because the 120 gives you that head heavy feel, and since it was a titleist AP2 head, the swing weight was very high. If it was Mizuno or someone who makes lighter heads, I think it would be fine. I compared them to my PX 5.5, and to me the 120 launched lower. Too low for my liking. Felt good though.

Thanks for the feedback. I was considering them with ap2. Not a big fan of head heavy feel either...

Mark, first, your information on this thread is awesome. Very much appreciated. Are you aware of any Nippon shafts that would be similar to the KBS C-Taper Lite 115 x? 1050gh, 1150gh tour? I'm thinking 1050gh, but wanted your thoughts. Thanks!

Agree with MJisGOAT, Tour105 for now probably. They are working on a proto to kind of fill that 110-115g slot for lower launch and spin. Tour105 is mid/high launch and mid spin IMO. I feel it is comparable to CTaper lite X but with a smoother bend feel, less demanding. I described the CTaper as an almost brittle feel. As in it is overly stiff yet still feels a bit hollow. Does that make sense? Nippon's just seem to have a softer feel, more fluid.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I have hit 125 +1" and didn't really notice too much difference. Tour120, the butt is the softest part so I think you may end up with a much softer feel because you're extending a softer part of the shaft and the longer shaft will be softer too. May want to go up a flex and softstep to the 1" over. Or even just play up a flex +1" no stepping at all.

Just FYI...

Tip will always be the softest part...butt is going to be the strongest.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

Agree with MJisGOAT, Tour105 for now probably. They are working on a proto to kind of fill that 110-115g slot for lower launch and spin. Tour105 is mid/high launch and mid spin IMO. I feel it is comparable to CTaper lite X but with a smoother bend feel, less demanding. I described the CTaper as an almost brittle feel. As in it is overly stiff yet still feels a bit hollow. Does that make sense? Nippon's just seem to have a softer feel, more fluid.

Thanks. So would the 1050gh x-stff be comparable at all or a completely different profile?

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 52*, PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 56*, PX 6.5 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Just FYI...

Tip will always be the softest part...butt is going to be the strongest.

:rolleyes:

I understand you technical engineers have limited brain capacity for anything but numbers on a sheet of paper but yes, I understand the CPM's of the butt are higher than the CPM's of the tip. However, as I have posted numerous times, and what you still fail to grasp is raw numbers are meaningless unless you apply them to a scale that people can translate to actual information. You speak in data, I speak in information. I don't feel it is that hard of a concept to grasp.

In comparison to how one would expect a portion of the shaft to behave, the butt of the Tour120 is softer to "normal" than the middle or tip is stiffer to "normal." The overarching characteristic of the Tour120 is the softer butt section. Which compared to a Tour125, or CTaper or KBS Tour, or others has a much softer feel. Compared to DG, which already has a slightly softer butt section, it won't feel immensely softer. My normal may not be someone elses normal so I describe how I feel other shafts are that they may have tried too. They can then translate my feel of a shaft they have already hit and apply that same translation to my feel of Nippon.

If you extend the butt portion of a "butt soft" shaft you will be exacerbating the soft butt feature which in the case of the Tour120, is going to make the shaft feel softer. Eventhough you are extending the "strongest" part of the shaft. The strongest part of the 120 shaft in relation to how other strongest parts of other shafts feel, the strongest part of the Tour120 is not as strong.

:beruo:

I'm always going to be talking in terms of feel and comparison to feel. You can't measure feel. I used many words to describe feel to try to help others understand how I feel and what I like. Conveying feel via words over the internet is not easy. I don't need some black and white paper boy in here contradicting and nit-picking every little word I say. Just go away already dude.