It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

Mark - I scoured the internet before asking this question so forgive me if it is out there and I am an idiot for not seeing it... Do you know the FCM numbers for the Nippon shafts? I found the matrix that Smoky25 / Howard Jones posted but only saw DG, KBS and Project X included.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1102365-it-just-me-or-are-a-lot-of-pros-switching-to-nippon-iron-shafts/page__st__2580?do=findComment&comment=12872146

Those are all the ones posted that are in Wishon's database. They are not butt CPM only, they are taken in 5 different points across the shaft and are a much better representation.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

Mark,

Forgive me if I missed it but how did you come to know so much about Nippons?

Just hitting them. I struggled with irons when I moved to the west coast from my native Ohio. I worked a course near the ocean and we got a major on-shore flow breeze every afternoon which was usually when I could go play. So I started trying to hit the ball lower and lower and turning it over. I started like many with DG, switched to PX 6.5 before they were even available to the public. Used those for a while but wasn't quite happy with the feel, overly boardy and vibrating in my elbow joints. So I tired KBS tour. Heard they were softer but kept spin down. Which they didn't' ballooned and hooked all over the place. Along that journey I tried lots of other stuff;TTTC, black gold, some Nippon (1150/SPB,) back to DG, S400/X700. Being in L.A. there is quite a large Asian community here and they bring clubs over from Japan and Korea all the time and you can find some interesting things to try at the local swap shop. So Nippon was on my radar but no really in the bag other than a pair of Sonartec wedges once.

Finally stumbled on a set of irons where I wanted the heads and they had Nippon Prototype shafts in them. Wasn't planning to keep the shafts, thought I'd flip it and recoup some money. But they felt so good. I hit them really really well. Found out it was kind of an early proto to the Tour130. It was a tad higher launch and just a bit more spin than I wanted. But the feel was so good I started a quest to find and hit all the other Nippon prototypes out there. 2F15, 2S14, ORA, C10, DP, ST, 2G18.

While trying all of these and wanting info on specs I bumped into Lee Oyer at Rivera when the PGA was here. For about 3 or 4 years I just asked him about stuff I was trying and which proto might fit me the best. Started posting what I found out here. Kept trying new stuff. Played 2S14 for about 2 years. Decided it was just too heavy (140g) and went to a set of 130 proto's (2G18.) Liked these, played them for a year. Tour125 was coming out on tour and Keegan put them in play. They intrigued me so I got a set to put up against my 130 protos. Splitting the hairs I decided I liked the Tour125 better and have been playing them for a year now.

I have met the engineers and sales reps for Nippon now over the years. Really cool guys, very nice. They read my posts here. Usually stay silent. They agree with a lot of what I have to say and once in a while will offer a suggestion to clarify something if I accidentally misrepresent something. But now I just try their new stuff and hope I can help other people discover Nippon. Good shafts!

I constantly try new stuff still. Even though it's gonna take a lot to get Nippon out, that doesn't mean it won't happen. I have tried CTaper, PXi, Aerotech, Aldila RIP iron, Recoils, etc since i've been on the Nippon kick. Interested in trying AMT and the new PX LZ shafts. Oban I think is just Shimada shafts, wish I could have tried them at Demo Day but I didn't stop at Oban.

But that is pretty much it. Just an enthusiast club ho that kind of found a shaft to call home for a while. 4+ years in the bag is pretty good. Then again, I do still have 2007 Burner TP and 2008 Burner FWY's in my bad, along with a 2003 Scotty Newport Beach I bought the day they launched. So maybe I'm more loyal than most club ho's with what is my "gamer" but I try just about everything out there.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

This thread has finally wore me down! I have to try the Modus 3 130 x's.

Do it!!! Would love to get some more opinions on flex, feel and flight of the 130X. I really wanted to like them, thought they'd be perfect. I usually like Sergio tour van left overs. But man was that thing stiff and shook my hands and elbows. I like to hit the ball thin, and the 130S was soft enough to help me elevate that thing shot well and filter out the clunky feel of one I got too thin. But the 130X, on my normal shots felt so firm. I tried a buddies in some Titleist 714 AP2' and they weren't as bad as I remembered when I first tried them. But on a full round, I think fatigue would cost me some yards on the back 9 with 130X. Just too stiff for me which my fast temp and late release is saying something.

Will do. I've been playing stiff flex c taper 120's but I feel they are a bit soft now that I'm getting my speed back.

Zach I switched from the c-taper s+ last year love the feel of the nippons haven't looked back. I have the 120x thinking I would like to try the 125x next.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Sorry!

I know this has been answered 100x's, but I'm to lazy to look it up.

How do the KBS Tour compare to the 125's?

Feel, flight, spin?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Agreed. IMO with more players warming to Nippon, with that probably comes more offers to be the stock brand model option in different iron series for various brands.

I like the shafts though! Although, I loke KBS and Dynamic too.

OH... how I wish we had TOO many great options for peesidential candidates, as to too many great club brand options, now days.

I have two wedges that I have built up and was going to sell. They are both taylormade eft 52 degree gap wedges. One has the WV 125, and one has the 125x. Both really nice, I just am going with 50 54 58, so don't need these 52s, and they have nippons in them...pm me if interested or maybe with some donations to me for the cost I can donate them to the demo thread....

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

Hey Mark, I have been considering tweaking the 130 stiffs that I have in my irons. I'm happy with how they play now, I'm more just experimenting with them. I am thinking about hardstepping them once. I bought an extra 37" wedge shaft so once I move everything up, I'm going to have to extend them 1/2" in order to bring the length to my regular playing length. I might go 3/4" though because I realized I've been playing them slightly shorter than I usually do. Is a 1/2" or possibly a 3/4" steel extension going to affect the characteristics or feel of the shaft to any noticeable degree? I'm aware of what hardstepping will do to the performance based on your past posts in this thread and multiple other threads on the 130's. Just more curious on what the extension does to the butt end. Thanks for all the input in this thread. Love reading all your expertise and advice.

Srixon Z 545 9.5* w/Aldila Tour Blue 65X
Ping G25 15* w/VTS Silver 7X
Ping G25 17* w/VTS Black 85HX
Wilson FG Tour V4 3-P w/Modus3 Tour 130S
FG Tour TC 52, 58 w/DG S400
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14
WITB Link

Update on the 105's x hard stepped once.

I cant believe I played the DG x100's for so long. Man the 105's are smooth and I'm getting a mid to high ball flight...more high, but that's ok. I think these will be my new shafts.

Did you have any problems adjusting to the big difference in weight?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Update on the 105's x hard stepped once.

I cant believe I played the DG x100's for so long. Man the 105's are smooth and I'm getting a mid to high ball flight...more high, but that's ok. I think these will be my new shafts.

Did you have any problems adjusting to the big difference in weight?

Surprisingly I haven't. I don't feel the need to over power the 105's, but can step on them if necessary. I actually like the weight of the 105's much better.

First round with the 130's yesterday, man.... Definitely launch higher and apex quicker than c tapers but then just flatten out and go. Not really worried about distance gain but launch and spin seem to be ideal. Dispersion seems to be better as well with less movement left to right/right to left. Feel is not even close. 130's by a mile. Took about a bucket to adjust be smooth sailing from there.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

after a few weeks with a trial in my 6 iron, found the 130S to actually launch a little lower than my s400. found myself losing the clubhead a little. going to try the 120x and 125s both straight in. feel of the 130 at impact was incredible, but just too much weight in the handle. was hitting the ball further, but much lower. it was strange.

after a few weeks with a trial in my 6 iron, found the 130S to actually launch a little lower than my s400. found myself losing the clubhead a little. going to try the 120x and 125s both straight in. feel of the 130 at impact was incredible, but just too much weight in the handle. was hitting the ball further, but much lower. it was strange.

I'm interested in this because I switched to ctaper s+ because with s300 I couldn't feel any weight at the tip.. too easy to lose the club head.

Hey Mark, I have been considering tweaking the 130 stiffs that I have in my irons. I'm happy with how they play now, I'm more just experimenting with them. I am thinking about hardstepping them once. I bought an extra 37" wedge shaft so once I move everything up, I'm going to have to extend them 1/2" in order to bring the length to my regular playing length. I might go 3/4" though because I realized I've been playing them slightly shorter than I usually do. Is a 1/2" or possibly a 3/4" steel extension going to affect the characteristics or feel of the shaft to any noticeable degree? I'm aware of what hardstepping will do to the performance based on your past posts in this thread and multiple other threads on the 130's. Just more curious on what the extension does to the butt end. Thanks for all the input in this thread. Love reading all your expertise and advice.

130 is pretty heavy in the grip. Someone better versed in club building should comment on how to extend it. but I would expect a steel extension plus epoxy to hold it in place will be similar weight to the 130S butt section. But if you go with a lighter plastic insert it could slightly decrease the counter balance of the shaft. But it can't be much on a 3/4" extension.

130 is pretty heavy in the grip. Someone better versed in club building should comment on how to extend it. but I would expect a steel extension plus epoxy to hold it in place will be similar weight to the 130S butt section. But if you go with a lighter plastic insert it could slightly decrease the counter balance of the shaft. But it can't be much on a 3/4" extension.

Thanks for the response! Just wanted to see your thoughts. I didn't think it would have a ton of effect, considering how a lot of the weight is in the butt like you said. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask though.

Srixon Z 545 9.5* w/Aldila Tour Blue 65X
Ping G25 15* w/VTS Silver 7X
Ping G25 17* w/VTS Black 85HX
Wilson FG Tour V4 3-P w/Modus3 Tour 130S
FG Tour TC 52, 58 w/DG S400
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14
WITB Link

Mark, you said you have a similar move as Sergio right? And your playing the 130 or 125 now?

Playing 125X right now. Had 130S (unknown but possibly hard-stepped) for a year prior. 2 years now between 130S and 125X. I like the little kick release of the 125 and I like I can flight it much lower on command. 130 was just high. I think i may have been able to play a more consistent baby fade with the 130 but that was all it did. High little fades.

Anyone have anymore feedback/updates on the Modus 105? Looking to try out the 105 S as an alternative to my PX 5.5.

I am loving my Modus 105x's hard stepped once. They are really smooth, but they don't feel soft. The launch is high for me, but I am a high ball hitter as is. There is something about these shafts that feels right to me coming from the x100's. My swing is a little rusty, but man when I put a good swing on these it magical!

If I were you, I'd buy a 7 iron shaft and try it. I started this way, now I have the complete set.

Anyone have anymore feedback/updates on the Modus 105? Looking to try out the 105 S as an alternative to my PX 5.5.

I've played the Modus 105 since the Titleist 716 AP2 became available. Background first...played the Modus 120 for 4 years so any switch was going to have to prove to be very special... I'm VERY happy with the 105 compared to the 120 as it provided higher launch (~+1*), lower spin (7i now spins same as previous 6i), and faster ball speed (~+2 mph). Additionally when playing controlled flighted shots in the wind the Modus 105, for me, has more of a boring trajectory.

Last I've seen, the shaft count on the PGA Tour is predominately Modus 120 and ST Proto (Modus 105) and their ratio of players is about 50/50. There is some Modus 130 played (Sergio & Leishman) and ORAs. I wouldn't be surprised to see this year that the ST Proto (Modus 105) becomes the #1 Nippon shaft on the PGA Tour.

TSR3 10º Driver @ 9.25º - LinQ M40X Blue 6F5     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb @ 19º - LinQ M40X White Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

I've played the Modus 105 since the Titleist 716 AP2 became available. Background first...played the Modus 120 for 4 years so any switch was going to have to prove to be very special... I'm VERY happy with the 105 compared to the 120 as it provided higher launch (~+1*), lower spin (7i now spins same as previous 6i), and faster ball speed (~+2 mph). Additionally when playing controlled flighted shots in the wind the Modus 105, for me, has more of a boring trajectory.

Last I've seen, the shaft count on the PGA Tour is predominately Modus 120 and ST Proto (Modus 105) and their ratio of players is about 50/50. There is some Modus 130 played (Sergio & Leishman) and ORAs. I wouldn't be surprised to see this year that the ST Proto (Modus 105) becomes the #1 Nippon shaft on the PGA Tour.

There's a handful of 125 users as well, most notably being Keegan.

I was just going to ask why not much love for the 125's

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

I don't know why, maybe the pro's need more spin since they typically play former greens? I liked them the best of the modus line, too bad I have to sell them as I had to go graphite.

I don't know why, maybe the pro's need more spin since they typically play former greens? I liked them the best of the modus line, too bad I have to sell them as I had to go graphite.

Interesting. The Modus 125 tends to spin just a tad more than X100 and the players that do use Tour125 were usually DG converts looking for slightly higher launch and slightly higher spin which for most players the Tour125 does. Keegan plays the 125X hardstepped once.The 105 gets all the love because it is higher launch with mid spin and is exceptionally smooth while very stable. Which is unheard of for a 115g shaft. So players looking for high soft controllable shots use it. It also picks up some clubhead speed being so light. So it is win win win win for them. I just can't control my arms/hands with that light of a shaft. I'm not as good as they are to stay disciplined to my timing and I flip it early. I think 120g is about as low as I can go right now. I may try to step it down if Nippon releases a proto they had at the demo day. Play that for a year and then try to go to 105 maybe.