2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Breaking 80? Blues or Whites

GolfinPastor

[quote name='MaybeImLeftHanded' timestamp='1428507816' post='11311443']
It's a great accomplishment from any tee but it does mean more the further back you go. I think most would agree with that.
[/quote]

Though I agree, it seems odd making 'distance' the end all be all difference to greatness. :beach:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have broken 80 from the Blue tees on a short course. The blues are the tips and play 6,344.

I have shot sub 40 playing 9 from the blues from 6,686 yards a few times. But I prefer the shorter course because it is more penalizing. The longer course you can slice/hook into other fairways/rough and still have a shot at the green.

When I first broke 90, I didn't care what tee box it was from. Now that I almost never play from the whites, it feels dishonest to quote a score from there.

If I consistently played the white tees, I know I could have a good day and break 80. I've had 38 over 9 from the whites, but 42 is a great day for me from the blues.

I would have a hard time claiming that I'm a low 80s player knowing that from the blues I'm a bogey golfer.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

[quote name='daryguy77' timestamp='1428515011' post='11312455']
But I prefer the shorter course because it is more penalizing. The longer course you can slice/hook into other fairways/rough and still have a shot at the green.
[/quote]
I don't like to be more penalized when I play golf, but to each his own!

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1428508160' post='11311491']
It's a great accomplishment from any tee but it does mean more the further back you go. I think most would agree with that.
[/quote]

Though I agree, it seems odd making 'distance' the end all be all difference to greatness. :beach:
[/quote]

I don't know how you got that out of my comment.

The idea of the game is to play and have fun. I have always played the whites. I am now 47 and last season I was driving the ball straight but 230-240. Broke 80 a lot...I just don't see why it does me any good to move back to play worse, and enjoy it less. I have never broken Par for 18, and have only broken it for 9 twice. I simply won't move back to satisfy someone else's idea of what a good round of golf is!

[quote name='MaybeImLeftHanded' timestamp='1428533130' post='11314603']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Really?? Your words "[b]it does mean more the further back you go[/b]". I read that as the longer the tees the greater the accomplishment. In other words, the guy that cards 72 from 7300yds has a greater accomplishment than the guy that scores 72 from 5800yds. Yes, 72 from 5800yds is a mighty fine score, but it's not the same as 72 from 7300yds. It comes down to the guy from 5800yds can't go to 7300yds and card 72... but the guy from 7300yds can do the same or better from 5800yds = that perspective alone says they are not equal, despite scores being equal.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

A lot of you seem to be answering a question that was never asked. Of course breaking 80 from the blues is more difficult than from the whites.

The question was whether or not breaking 80 from the whites counts as breaking 80. Answer: of course it does.

It's all relative. Breaking 80 from the blues is considered crap if you compare it to a longer or tougher course.

What's next? Minimum yardage and rating requirements before your allowed to claim you broke 80?

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1428730084' post='11332517']
A lot of you seem to be answering a question that was never asked. Of course breaking 80 from the blues is more difficult than from the whites.

The question was whether or not breaking 80 from the whites counts as breaking 80. Answer: of course it does.

It's all relative. Breaking 80 from the blues is considered crap if you compare it to a longer or tougher course.

What's next? Minimum yardage and rating requirements before your allowed to claim you broke 80?
[/quote]

Yes ;) Differential below 10 or it doesn't count.

I do agree with your view generally, but personally I do feel that if a differential isn't below 10 (and that can still mean an easy course) it's an indicator while the gross score may be below 80, it's not a 'good enough' 80 to be crowing about it.

Again that is just my perspective on it.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1428609693' post='11321545']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Really?? Your words "[b]it does mean more the further back you go[/b]". I read that as the longer the tees the greater the accomplishment. In other words, the guy that cards 72 from 7300yds has a greater accomplishment than the guy that scores 72 from 5800yds. Yes, 72 from 5800yds is a mighty fine score, but it's not the same as 72 from 7300yds. It comes down to the guy from 5800yds can't go to 7300yds and card 72... but the guy from 7300yds can do the same or better from 5800yds = that perspective alone says they are not equal, despite scores being equal.
[/quote]

relax and work on your reading comprehension. I said it means more, not that distance was the end all be all.

What I hear are some people getting ticked off because someone regularly shoots low 80's from the White tees but you shoot low 80's from the Blue tees and that may imply that the other guy is just as good as you. Both scores are legitimate low 80's but the slope and difficulty will be reflected by the handicap system. Just play your own game and not worry about what some other golfer shoots from a different set of tees.

[quote name='MaybeImLeftHanded' timestamp='1428759124' post='11333447']
[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1428609693' post='11321545']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

relax and work on your reading comprehension. I said it means more, not that distance was the end all be all.
[/quote]

Impressive...NOT! All you're capable of doing is insulting my intelligence, as opposed to seeing how your choice of words could suggest something other than what you are thinking. If distance means more, than distance is the quantitative difference.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Does it matter? The answer is pretty clear cut - it depends on what you're discussing...

If you're talking about achieving a personal best, no, it doesn't matter. You've done something you haven't done before and it's an achievement regardless of what teebox, what course (rating/slope) or anything else.

If you're talking about comparing your round to someone elses round, yes, it absolutely matters. You can't sit and say "I shot a better score than you" and brag if you're doing it from the white tees on a shorter, easier course. That's what handicaps are for, comparing people's skill based on a fair method adjusted for course.

My all time low score was a 72, but I don't consider myself to have ever broken 80. Why? Because I took one breakfast ball and that score was on a course in my hometown that usually get played as two 9 hole courses and come in at par 71 barely over 5200 yards. There is virtually no OB, almost no water and half the course is wide open. It was a great course to learn on, but when I went back after golfing on much more difficult courses for several years it just wasn't challenging at all.

I meant to go up there toward the end of the year in 2012 when I was attempting to break 80 on my home course to see what kind of score I could put up (under par most likely) but elbow injuries ended my season in August and I didn't get to.

The point is that it only really matters if you care about how you compare to other people. Golf is about enjoying yourself, getting better and meeting your personal goals. It isn't about putting other people down or one-upping or "beating" anyone, unless you're playing for money or in tournaments.

I play from the white tees on my course. Will it diminish the accomplishment when I break 80 this year? Not at all. In fact, on my course the blue and white are the same tees on at least half the holes and only marginally different on all but 1-2 on the whole course. I could easily play from the blues, it wouldn't even affect my score very much, but why move back until I can consistently do it from the whites? Golf is a mental game and I'm not going to sabotage myself by intentionally making the game harder until I'm ready for that challenge.

It's like playing disc golf, when you first start you don't play "champion" scoring (every hole is a par 3) you play the traditional score (par 72). If you play everything as a par 3 from the get go you're going to feel awful when you get a double bogey on every hole and shoot +36. That's not fun and I routinely tell people when they first start to not even keep score, just go throw and enjoy yourself. I'll help them get used to how to throw and how to putt and then after a few rounds start counting.

When I was struggling with things in 2012 (the last year I played golf more than a couple rounds) I would play a "practice round" where I played two balls, or I would rehit my shanks and duffs and keep score only of the decent shots. I obviously didn't count those rounds towards my handicap (I would change the date to a previous year to ensure they weren't in there), but I did it to get repetitions in and to show myself what I'm capable of if I take the mental errors and lapses in focus out of the equation. I shot several rounds in the 70s that way where I really only needed a couple "do-overs" on a particularly bad drive or a duffed chip.

There was one or two where I'm pretty sure I would have broken 80 even playing straight up just because I took the pressure off myself, that told me that my problem was a mental block and not my physical game. I'm curious to see how this year will go after a couple year lay-off, I'm in physically better shape than I have been for years, I started treating my ADD again when I got my new job last July and my focus is going to be good. I'm 35 and I feel like this is the year to start shooting in the 70s and become a single digit to begin my journey to scratch...