2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Breaking 80? Blues or Whites

GolfinPastor

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

many threads on this.... NO

It burns me up.... Someone asked what my low round was for the year I told I told him it was s a 73.... From the blues? No, whites. Oh, well it's still a good round. smh

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

Intellectually, I agree; does not matter. However, if we're honest, it does matter to any person trying to measure up to others that play better golf from longer tee's. Its also an underlying factor behind people choosing the wrong tee's for their game.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Thinking back on all my personal best rounds, I honestly have no idea what tees they were from. Probably the back, but I really couldn't say for sure.

However, do remember all my final scores and even who I was playing with. These are the important things anyway.

Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 10.5* Ventus Blue 6S
Callaway XHP 15* AD DI 7s
Callaway Apex UW 19* AD DI 7S

Ping Icrossover 4 Kai'li White 80s
Ping S55 Nippon Modus 120x
Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan DH89

Snell MTB-X or Titleist ProV1

IMO - does not matter. Still gotta hit fairways, greens, and make putts. Its like the difference between slim and fat chance. There is none IMO.

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
ZX4 MKii 4i - Project X 5.5
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Heres my thought on the topic through the eyes of someone who's played a lot of competitive golf. Play what challenges you the most and what you feel good scoring that first sub 80 score from. I shot my first sub 80 score from the whites as well when I was a teenager, but then once that wasn't challenging enough I moved back, and it was starting over again, course management, club selection all change but its a good and welcomed change. Lets put it this way, even after few years out of college golf now I could play from the whites and shoot under par consistently, but I would rather play tips and have more of a challenge to my game. Thats just me I guess, but hey man a sub 80 round is what it is, you have to play good to score there, you're not gunna play like crap and score well, from any tees for that matter.

Of course it matters and anyone who says its doesn't is deluded.

On my course the SS is two strokes difference from the yellows to the whites and I had the joint course record from the whites (back tees) , then some guy came in and said 'broke the record' from where I asked ??? Yellows he said. His score was declared invalid for the course record due to the length being 500 yards less.

Comp tees matter only.

If you are getting into this debate then the course matters too...I can go play some country clubs and play the blues and it still plays less than 6500...I play the whites from the course I play regularly and it's 6700. In the end whatever tee's you want to play then play them....we all know it all comes down to making putts in the end anyways.

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1420824855' post='10716221']
Intellectually, I agree; does not matter. However, if we're honest, it does matter to any person trying to measure up to others that play better golf from longer tee's. Its also an underlying factor behind people choosing the wrong tee's for their game.
[/quote]

That's what handicaps are for...and why they adjust for different tees.

So either way, it doesn't matter.

:-)

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

[quote name='RRFireblade' timestamp='1420827481' post='10716527']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Exactly why they have course rating and slope
[url="http://www.usga.org/handicapping/course_ratings/Using-a-Course-Ratings/"]http://www.usga.org/handicapping/course_ratings/Using-a-Course-Ratings/[/url]

[quote name='RRFireblade' timestamp='1420827481' post='10716527']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Indexes and handicaps are for competition, and course ratings are overlooked by a great many golfers. As much as we talk about competing against the course, we compete in other ways, as well. Man is not emotionally self-contained either. Most people I know that have indexes do not associate 'it' with the psychological aspects of their game improvement. Also, most golfers don't have indexes. Therefore they seek external motivation; that being measuring up to people that are better at the game.

How often have we read a post or heard someone ask how far others hit a given club. Though many on this site say what's apropos, that doesn't necessarily provide the answer the person is looking for. In other words, he/she wants to see where they stand in relation to others, and for many it comes from better golfers.

Earlier this week I was asked what club I hit from a 170yd par 3... I told him my club and he said wow, then said he hit 4i and needed to improve.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

If it wasn't from the tips, it didn't happen. This is WRX, bro.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

Our temporary tees are in for the winter. A couple of weeks ago I shot a 67 and a 69. First time I shot a sub-70 round. However, I don't know what the slope or rating was as for the majority of the holes the tee boxes were way up, even though the fairways were rain soaked.

A lot of folks on this forum would say it didn't count. All I know is I played 18 holes. When I added up my strokes I shot a 67 on one day and a 69 on another. I followed the rules of golf and I teed off from tee boxes. What else could I do? :-)

It was cold, it was wet, and yes it was short, but if felt nice nonetheless.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1420832898' post='10717163']
Our temporary tees are in for the winter. A couple of weeks ago I shot a 67 and a 69. First time I shot a sub-70 round. However, I don't know what the slope or rating was as for the majority of the holes the tee boxes were way up, even though the fairways were rain soaked.

A lot of folks on this forum would say it didn't count. All I know is I played 18 holes. When I added up my strokes I shot a 67 on one day and a 69 on another. I followed the rules of golf and I teed off from tee boxes. What else could I do? :-)

[/quote]

Good job Sean.. :clapping:

At one of my clubs we had a few times when conditions merited moving tees way up on a number of holes. If expected to last, club leadership arranged for members to play at other clubs. Leadership also chose not to have the tees rated, due to cost. However, if members chose to be on the tee sheet, they had to post scores to Red or
Senior tees, and deal with handicap trend consequences.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Our temporary tees are in for the winter. [/quote]

Your course also has temporary greens, too, correct? I had never heard of temporary tees but I can see now that a nice course with bent grass tees would treat them in a similar fashion as greens.

As to the scores in the 60's, [i][b]twice![/b][/i], that is impressive. I haven't even been able to accomplish that on our par 67, 5,000 yard executive course.

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1420833321' post='10717221']

[/quote]

Good job Sean.. :clapping:

At one of my clubs we had a few times when conditions merited moving tees way up on a number of holes. If expected to last, club leadership arranged for members to play at other clubs. Leadership also chose not to have the tees rated, due to cost. However, if members chose to be on the tee sheet, they had to post scores to Red or
Senior tees, and deal with handicap trend consequences.
[/quote]

Thanks Pepper, I appreciate it!

[quote name='bk52' timestamp='1420840317' post='10717911']
Our temporary tees are in for the winter. [/quote]

Your course also has temporary greens, too, correct? I had never heard of temporary tees but I can see now that a nice course with bent grass tees would treat them in a similar fashion as greens.

As to the scores in the 60's, [i][b]twice![/b][/i], that is impressive. I haven't even been able to accomplish that on our par 67, 5,000 yard executive course.
[/quote]

No, the greens are our regular greens. At least so far. :-)

Thanks BK!

Breaking 80 is just that, breaking 80. A very good accomplishment.

But I have to agree with PepperTurbo here, it does matter because you do want to be able to compare your own scores against peers or better players. And the often the better players are playing further back. While it's true that often it turns out to be not much difference score wise between tees, the perception is there for many people.

Handicaps are for competition, tee box scores for bragging rights.

No matter what though, sub 80 is still a good score.

Doesn't matter to me. My old neighbor was little strange and we had a bit of a silent rivalry. He tells me he's a golfer. I say, Oh yeah? He says, Oh yeah. He tells me he shot 78 on Saturday and 77 on Sunday. I said, Oh yeah? He said, Oh yeah. I asked him where he plays and he mentions this course that's a par 68 stretching 5800 yards. But it still sounds cool to shoot in the 70s.

If it's your first time breaking 80 from a specific set of tees, it only matters if YOU'VE never broken 80 (or whatever the personal milestone is) from those tees. Still the best you've ever done, so congratulations! Now you can strive for the next milestone.

The thing about personal milestones, no matter how good you are at something, someone out there is better, and no matter how bad you are at something, someone out there is worse. Improve for yourself, not everyone else.

The way I see it playing it from farther up could be more difficult. What I mean is you have a lot more partial wedge shots that make it difficult to judge the distance. I find when I play farther back, with the exception of a 425 par 4 that always plays into the wind, I generally score better because of the fact that I stay in play more knowing I will have a long shot in so it best be from the fairway other wise I do not have a shot in the world.

Ping G Elements Chrome 5F4
Srixon F65 17 Stock Stiff

Ben Hogan VKTR+ 18 Stock Recoil

Titleist AP2 716 DG SL TI S300 4-PW

Titleist SM5 Tour Chrome 50/08 F, 54/10 M and SM7 58/14 K Grind S300

Taylormade Ghost Tour Black Indy

My personal best, even par 72, was done from the whites which made the course about 6000 yards. When telling the story to others, I've sometimes said "yeah, it was on a short course, big whoop right?" and their response is something along the lines of "even par is still even par dude, congrats!".

I've played the blues at the same course and shot a 76.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I kind of understand the question, but not entirely. Does it matter to who?

As a guy with a similar handicap as the OP, breaking 80 is an accomplishment that gets my congratulations, and something I strive to do every time I tee it up. Breaking 80 from the blues or whites, on a par 70 or 72... it's all impressive to me. That said, of course it is even more of an accomplishment if it is done on a harder track. That doesn't mean it isn't still an accomplishment though.

The closest I've been to breaking 80 is an 82 on a shortish, par 70 course. The best round I've ever played is an 84 from the blues on a fairly difficult Pete Dye course. If I shoot 79 on the easier shorter course I will be happy, but not as happy as if I shoot 81 on the Pete Dye course from the blues.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom