Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

I'm not impressed. Looks like an expensive 8802....

Yep, the Japanese are better marketers than they are "craftsmen".

We know you are not a fan of Jdm stuffs, but I am pretty sure that those putters are made in the UK so at least try to vail the disdain with a tad of covertness.......

Oh, I'm a fan of the clubs, just not the overblown hype.

My bad, I thought I recalled you kinda JDM bashing before, which is cool and your right, just pointing out those were from the Brittish LOL.

The blown hype does unfortunately detract from the good stuff, that is for sure...

Hi Blade o philes :)

Just wanted to share some pics of my latest build.

I got these Kzg zo's in a trade recently and had my mate Doug the builder assemble this set to my exact specs. Which means softer shafts and specific lofts, lie and swingweight.

He frequency matched and flowed the shafts and got the weights spot on.

I have played a couple of rounds already and they have even got an old ho like me excited. So pure and so sweet!! So good they have kicked the yoro mp4's out of the bag; and that my friends is no mean feat. :)

Those ZOs are great sticks --- I have a couple and I mean a couple of clubs and not sets-- When my buddy retired and closed his shop I ended up with 3 5 gallon buckets of new and used different type heads mostly Infiniti and Wishon. There were 2 forged ZO heads a 4 and 6 iron. I shafted those up with DG S-300s. Man they hit great--- Sometimes one can luck up and find a set. Last year a buddy of mine lucked up and found a complete set with Rifle shafts and GP grips for $75 in a pawn shop and he is still playing them I might add. Some of these folks think they are some kid of off brand cheap or clone club and it makes it good for folks like us in the know. IMHO one of the most underated blade irons of all time

Testify brother!!! :)

We know you are not a fan of Jdm stuffs, but I am pretty sure that those putters are made in the UK so at least try to vail the disdain with a tad of covertness.......

My bad, I thought I recalled you kinda JDM bashing before, which is cool and your right, just pointing out those were from the Brittish LOL.

The blown hype does unfortunately detract from the good stuff, that is for sure...

The only hype I see ad nauseam are from US manufacturers. The JDM "hype" I see certainly isn't in the JDM ads. It's the posts by guys that actually played some really good stuff.

I took the Pepsi challenge (side by side hitting tests) between my mp67s and mp60s, Miura mb001s, TBs, and BBs, 714 MBs, TMAG TP blades, and mp4s, and you can call it hype or me just stating my real world experience, all I can say is that no question Miuras feel another level better than all the others. And I couldn't care less if this is in alignment with the hype or not. LOL if you are going to even pay attention to hype. The US forgiving club manufacturer's advertising hype has already made me numb to it for many years.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Agree pretty much with bladehunter. I don't think you're going to see a remarkable difference going from MP33s to MP4s. The latter have slightly stronger lofts (PW at 46* compared to 48* in the 33s), and perhaps feel a bit smoother, but unless your MP33s are worn down, I wouldn't swap them for the MP4s.

Buying a set of MP-4s as a backup set, on the other hand, is obviousty the recommended course of action every time on this site. :tongue:

I beg to differ about the magic of forging. The putters that this guy makes feel like nothing I have ever tried...proper sorcery ;-)

http://www.golfalche...8429527dd13b4e5

I'm very tempted to order one of those and pick it up when I'm over next. With the pound weak to the yen, these boutique British clubs are a real bargain for me right now.

I'm currently gaming MP33's. What improvements / differences would I find in a set of MP4's?

I'm going to disagree with some on here. I own both sets and there are definitely differences which I see as improvements.

Firstly the flight is higher with the 33's. They get up; especially into the wind. Maybe they spin a bit more. Secondly the sole grind on the 4's is more forgiving. The 33's tend to dig in soft conditions. Lastly I reckon thin hits are less penalized with the mp4's.

Received my Mp5's over the weekend. If you hold the Mp5 9 iron up to the Mp25, it looks almost identical. I actually think the top line is slightly larger on the Mp5. The sole is smaller though. I just got back from Myrtle Beach and after playing 5 rounds plus hitting tons of extra balls in three days,I was a little sore but still managed to hit the Mp5 9 iron with the Project X 6.0 shaft against my Mp25 with Modus 105 shaft.

My initial thoughts are that I need to start working out because I couldn't believe how sore I am from playing golf. Because of this, it is really hard to say one way or the other about the clubs. I can definitely tell the weight difference in the shafts. Plus I can tell the 6.0 shafts are stiffer.

So my report is this: I will report back when I can man up a little. Lol.

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

I definitely hit my 33's high, but can flight it down if I need. I blame that on the DG S300 shafts I currently have in them, which are slightly whippy. I know they are supposed to be low launch shafts, but not for me. I am still getting used to the weight, as they are lighter than my MP30 FCM rifle set up. At least they seem lighter. Otherwise I have zero complaints and was just curious. I'm thinking I need to try S400 or X100, as I like the feel of the S300's better than my rifles.

Your Nipponophobic remark was odd given that the clubs are from the UK. ?

I dunno...maybe it was a clan of Nipponese ninjas that went to the UK and started a club company just to change the public perception that it is really the Brits that are creating the "hype" about forged steel, thereby detracting from all the attention on Japan's "marketing". *If* true, it's actually a brilliant tactic. Very ninja like.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

in my opinion nothing...33s are not found wanting of anything.... mP4 is nice..but in no way superior to the 33..

Agree pretty much with bladehunter. I don't think you're going to see a remarkable difference going from MP33s to MP4s. The latter have slightly stronger lofts (PW at 46* compared to 48* in the 33s), and perhaps feel a bit smoother, but unless your MP33s are worn down, I wouldn't swap them for the MP4s.

Buying a set of MP-4s as a backup set, on the other hand, is obviousty the recommended course of action every time on this site. :tongue:

I thought they went some way to fixing their PW problem in regards to the shape/size of it, relative to the rest of the set, with the MP4.

With the 33s I was left wondering why my order was 3-9 33, finished off with a skillet.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Duffer, that is the hallmark of any japanese set from that time....and I am really ignorant to the 33s, but I can tell you that the mp4s feel 100% more modern than my mp14s, and I guess I mean that with sole and actual feel, so I really can't imagine them not being a more polished club.

So I really opened Pandora's box with the mats I got this weekend. I think that the rational launch monitor for my purpose is going to be the skytrak. Now I currently do not have a space at all for it, but I have a net (don't we all?). And now 30sq ft. real pro grade hitting area, and the only reason I have not ordered this thing to use with my iPad in back yard on weekends for time being until I man cave my next houses garage is the impending conversation with wife.......the fact we are in process of looking for houses doesn't bode well for me spending $2k for something we don't have room for now/having my priorities straight....that said, I really don't know if I can contain myself with this one especially since I am not planning on playing much the next 3-4 months....this is going to be interesting.

I definitely hit my 33's high, but can flight it down if I need. I blame that on the DG S300 shafts I currently have in them, which are slightly whippy. I know they are supposed to be low launch shafts, but not for me. I am still getting used to the weight, as they are lighter than my MP30 FCM rifle set up. At least they seem lighter. Otherwise I have zero complaints and was just curious. I'm thinking I need to try S400 or X100, as I like the feel of the S300's better than my rifles.

That's what I'm saying about the 33's. It must be the muscle placement but I think they fly higher than some other blades (mp4's included) with any shaft.

Personally I like the lower flight. I always have this urge to run out and catch the ball if it goes to high. Left fielder urges. So for me and my ever engaged mind, I want the ball out of the wind and away from me as quick as possible. I also have a shooting background so trajectories that are easy to follow make me happy. White ball high into white clouds...not so much. I understand the good from the higher arcs because I accidentally learned how to do the flop shot. It's not so awesome when you need a fifty yard chip and you get the 25 yard flop, but when it works out, I have a chance at the faster greens that refuse to stick a chip. MP-4's! Unless it's a 1 or 2 iron where I will ho myself out to anything beautiful.

That's what I'm saying about the 33's. It must be the muscle placement but I think they fly higher than some other blades (mp4's included) with any shaft.

Have you compared with similar lofts? The MP33s are weaker lofted, after all.

For what little it's worth, I never jumped on the MP33 bandwagon because they hit the ball too high. At the time, I was playing my MS-11s, which I felt were too high, and the 33s hit even higher.

Maybe now that I'm hitting the ball lower, I could look at 33s as viable. <shrug>

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I'm currently gaming MP33's. What improvements / differences would I find in a set of MP4's?

I would say "none". I've had 33s in the bag (DG S300) for 15 years. Have hit all the replacements, including MP-4 and MP-5 and with DG S300 in the heads, I could see absolutely no difference in feel, flight, turf interaction, or distance (which surprised me given the MP-4 and MP-5 are stronger lofted). I also couldn't see that the MP-4 9 or PW was any smaller than the 33. Toplines are thicker on the new clubs, much more so on the MP-5, but oddly I didn't mind the slightly "chunkier" look. It looked strong to me. I did hit an MP-5 last week (from the bag of a friendly current Div 1 college player hitting next to me on the range) that had KBS Tour S (yes! S flex for a +handicap guy who crushes it. He said he wasn't a high swing speed player! He would not be allowed on GolfWRX :-). His MP-5s were also a half inch longer than my standard set (he was about 6' 2"), but I choked down to my normal length, and even then I didn't notice any difference in flight or distance, but the KBS Tours felt kind of "dead" to me and it was harder to feel the clubhead. Still, very subtle differences and I thought the MP-5s were drop-dead gorgeous and wonderful performers. Just wish I could hit it like the college kid! He was complaining that he was just a bit out of sorts, while I watched him stripe shot after shot that landed with a 10 yard circle of his 175 yard target flag. Those D. 1 college boys can play...nice to see that the younger generation loves blades as much as we do. He said he grew up playing his dad's MP-29s and that he doesn't notice any difference between those which he gamed all through high school and the MP-5s.

I just picked up a set of MP32's to test out, which I think are supposed to be lower launch than the 33's. I absolutely love my 33's, and the 32's will be have to be exponentially better to go in the bag, but I've got a Mizuno fetish. I have also started to get more in touch with the 33's and I'm not launching moon shots anymore and have seen my distance go back to what I'm used to. When I first got them I was losing 3/4 a club on my long irons. Like I said earlier, they seem lighter than my MP30 set up, which was causing a slight 'flip' action. I'm settling in nicely though.

I thought they went some way to fixing their PW problem in regards to the shape/size of it, relative to the rest of the set, with the MP4.

With the 33s I was left wondering why my order was 3-9 33, finished off with a skillet.

Ah, that's true. The MP33 PW is more wedge-like than the MP-4 PW, which is very little different from the 9i. I quite like the larger PW designs, though, as it makes the club feel more wedge-like to me.

Back to blades crew! SrixonZ945 ordered and on their way. Very excited to wear these out, will be fun to practice again. VT sole will definitely help me, as my miss is vertical on face.

My name also starts with Z, so the logo 'Z' is perfect haha.

J15CB were awesome irons and I got the best numbers with them. surprisingly my actual on course iron play was the worst it's ever been. I often missed long and I struggled to flight shots. Seemed like with c taper I only had one shot when I swung well, medium height straight. That's just not how I grew up playing golf, I like varying trajectory and I need precise distance control. Prior sets I had success with - Nike vr blades, titleist 714 CB/mb.

I think my new irons with Nippon SPB X will bring back a lot of my old iron game, with comparable numbers. Hyped up!

Ah, that's true. The MP33 PW is more wedge-like than the MP-4 PW, which is very little different from the 9i. I quite like the larger PW designs, though, as it makes the club feel more wedge-like to me.

I have zero complaints about the 33 pw

Yes, I prefer the larger design, too. My first set of blades had a big difference between the short irons (PW-8i) and middle irons (7i-5i), and the larger PW was very versatile. But, back then we went PW-SW and that was it. We also wore onions on our belts and walked uphill both ways to school barefoot in the snow and liked it, but I digress...

Anyway, what I was saying is that I agree with duffer that there is a noticeable difference between the PW in the MP-33s and MP-4s, in that the MP-4 PW is much closer to the 9i and, by extension, the rest of the set.

Yes, I prefer the larger design, too. My first set of blades had a big difference between the short irons (PW-8i) and middle irons (7i-5i), and the larger PW was very versatile. But, back then we went PW-SW and that was it. We also wore onions on our belts and walked uphill both ways to school barefoot in the snow and liked it, but I digress...

Anyway, what I was saying is that I agree with duffer that there is a noticeable difference between the PW in the MP-33s and MP-4s, in that the MP-4 PW is much closer to the 9i and, by extension, the rest of the set.

Maybe it's a similar thing (for those that like the Mizzy approach to PWs) as Titleist players that go to a 9I in their irons and then switch to a Vokeys for the PW down?

In regards to shape preference.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

So you did the wedge rental/trial? Cool. They have a good look about them.

How does one's experience with wedges necessarily translate into a desire for the iron set too? Seems to me everyone just grabs whatever works with wedges. Seems kinda like buying a couple of SM6's and then lusting for 716MB.

Maybe it's a similar thing (for those that like the Mizzy approach to PWs) as Titleist players that go to a 9I in their irons and then switch to a Vokeys for the PW down?

In regards to shape preference.

Could be. For me, the PW is a transitional club, but in many modern sets it's like a 9i (with old 9i lofts as well), so going to a specialised web for 46* an upwards is may be not so surprising. I am happy with an iron-like PW at 46*, but at 50* I definitely want a more wedge-like club.