PLEASE. No shorts on the golf course.

I don't care what one wears so long as they play quickly.

That's the ultimate respect. Not some freakin' Dockers.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5 w/Evenflow Riptide CB X-Stiff 
Cobra F8+ 14.5* Rouge Silver X-Stiff

Cobra F8+ 18* Rouge Silver X-Stiff
Srxion 4-6 ZX5 irons, ZX7 7-PW irons w/PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50, 54, 58 x/PX LZ 6.0
Sik Flo or Sik DW or Edel or SGC Norwood 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='RobGolf72' timestamp='1424792365' post='11017709']
[quote name='E401k' timestamp='1424792150' post='11017687']
I'm a reformed anti shorts guy....

For me it's now about looking like you care, taking sometime to look good goes a long way. Shows you respect yourself, peers, and fellow golfing members. Golf style has come a long way and I now think shorts have there place, just don't show up in the dining room.

I'm not on the running shoe look for spikes And don't suspect I ever will be.
[/quote]Apathy is the norm nowadays. In EVERY facet of life, basically. Respect the game is what I'm saying.
[/quote]

perhaps your idea of "respecting the game" may be a bit self-preening and and a slight bit overboard....however,as a troll.you didn't do too bad...lol

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Stuffy dress codes and the old school country club mentality are what's hurting the game. No young players want to belong to a club where the members look down on them for wearing shorts and runners. I belong to a private club where the head pro and assistant pro both wear shorts and running shoes while working in the shop. What they wear does not take away from their expertise in golf, and certainly does not mean they are disrespecting the game.

I appreciate that the OP has since unregistered (and found another screen name) but it bears repeating here that if anyone is worried about appearance or anything other than how you treat other golfers, staff, volunteers, spectators or visitors to the course....then you shouldn't be able to say you are worried about "respect for the game."

The game means nothing....the people mean everything. If we lose that then the game should rightly burn.

Well, I'm definitely late to this party as it looks as though ya dropped off of the board Rob, lol.

However, human nature being what it is, and well, someone like yourself likes to read their own posts, I have zero doubt that you're droppin back in as a guest to peruse your thread-

So, here's my take....

While I think that a certain level of dress is appropriate in any segment of society, regardless of the arena, activity or domain, I really believe that to equate shorts with a lack of class or "respect for the game" is myopic, thoughtless and tells me that you are either trolling or if you actually do believe this then in your "real world" you are not in a position to affect change, ie., Club/Course committees, boards and the like, because as one who is, and you're gonna have to trust me here(or read some of my posts in the myriad threads just like this), your view(s) would get absolutely no, and I do mean zero, nada, zilch support on even the most conservative committees and boards. I happen to sit on one such board and various committees(2), and I am on the conservative side of the table, and I, along with those that usually vote with me would shoot your proposition down without it even getting to the table to be voted on, and I am speaking of an old Eastern Club, not some Nuevo riche housing/course club.

While I have never worn Bermuda shorts on the course, my choice is based off of the two Men(My Club Pro growing up & Teacher) whom I patterned my dress, behavior(this took some work ;) ) and game after(I fell short many times but like the perfect shot, I've hit it a few times & I'll never quite striving) and has absolutely nothing to do with "respect or the game." I feel that regarding "respect for the game," one should dress to the standards and protocol of the Course or Club that one plays. THAT is the respect that is owed. Obviously, those standards vary Club to Club & Course to Course.

I happen to dress the same way, regardless of whether I am playing Pine(and by the way, the last time that I played Pine in '12, I was the only one in my group with slacks on) or a cow pasture. That line doesn't vary for me.

However I do not hold others to that line.

I used to Rob-

Not so much regarding Bermuda shorts, but in other areas.

And it was wrong of me to do this!

Who the hell was I to judge someone that I did not know based on a standard that was mine and no the Club or Course that I was playing?

I was an a******.......

A few things happened in my life that more or less changed how I looked at things, people and situations.

But getting back to this shorts/shoes thing and "respecting the game," bla, bla, bla.......

Oh yea, while I wear Allen Edmonds on the course, I have never even thought to look at someone's shoes and making a judgment call on their "respect for the game" or lack there of. Sure, I find some of these golf shoes uglier than hell, however I'm sure that my choices in shoes aren't everyone's cup of tea. Again, if the shoes are appropriate for the Club/Course that the individual is paying, end of discussion.

Ya see Rob, I look at someone's "respect for the game" or lack there of based on their words, actions and ultimately their behavior on the course.

Do they carry themselves in a respectful manner, both in how they treat the course and how they interact and treat others?

Do they realize that the worst day that they might have on the course is better than almost anything else that they could be doing at that time?

And believe me Rob, there was a time when I did not realize this!

So, if they don't realize this, I certainly don't judge them, though if they seem like a decent person, I may, in a subtle, gentle way, try to show them that there are always two sides to the coin, and all that they have to do is flip the coin and look at the other view :)

So, ya see Rob, IF your posts are sincere, I really feel sorry for you.

I do not mean that in a patronizing way-

It's just that I used to have your view(s), and I was not a happy Man.

Oh sure, I could laugh, and you or others would have no idea just how miserable that I was. I was real good at compartmentalizing.

And it took meeting a Gentleman on a course during my first bout of cancer.

A Man who I would have previously judged before he even had introduced himself.

And maybe it was the meds, maybe it was just that I was at the right place at the right time in my life, I don't really know.

But what I do know is that the 3 1/2 hours that I spent with this Gentleman did more for me and my psyche than any med or shrink ever did or could.

So Rob, I really think that you're short changing your self if these are indeed your views and opinions, because you are obviously a bright individual so you have seen that not only are you in the minority with you view(s), there is NO Club or Course, IF you could get on their board the appropriate committee, where you could even get your views past the motion stage, lol. I am speaking of "Old School" Clubs here, clubs where tradition, etiquette and protocol are very important. I could go on and on, speaking of esteemed Gentlemen who wear Bermuda shorts, one an USGA Executive Board Member, another a retired Corporate Chair/CEO and member at Augusta National & Seminole, then the Gent out of Pine who's guest that I was, and the list goes on, though I think that you see where I am coming from.

Now, I understand that your initial reaction to my comments is probably, "I don't care," and this is a normal reaction, though, as I said, you are obviously a bright guy, and I would think that while I am against blindly running with the "herd," as just another sheep in the flock, to have extreme views, regardless of which end of the spectrum that they are on, is just as mindless, because neither individual is in a position to positively influence and/or affect change in others.

I do hope that you re-register Rob, because it's a Great board with a lot of Great Members & Staff, though regardless, I wish you a Great Season :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• 3 weeks later...

People keep asking "how are we going to grow the game with this type of statement?". Well, OP seems like the kind of golfer who doesn't want to grow the game. I may be wrong but the people who speak like this usually want to play with and be around only people like them and bringing in new people to the game (the unsavory if you will) who may not immediately understand the rules and etiquette really gets them upset. I find it too much to worry about. Most of us have real issues in their life that they have to deal with instead of worrying about what people wear on a golf course.

As for the people saying they make lightweight pants for golf now. Well, those cost more than two rounds of golf at the course I play at. I'd rather wear shorts and play two more rounds than buy pants to please someone at the course.

[quote name='RobGolf72' timestamp='1424792365' post='11017709']
[quote name='E401k' timestamp='1424792150' post='11017687']
I'm a reformed anti shorts guy....

For me it's now about looking like you care, taking sometime to look good goes a long way. Shows you respect yourself, peers, and fellow golfing members. Golf style has come a long way and I now think shorts have there place, just don't show up in the dining room.

I'm not on the running shoe look for spikes And don't suspect I ever will be.
[/quote]Apathy is the norm nowadays. In EVERY facet of life, basically. Respect the game is what I'm saying.
[/quote]

You also need to respect one's rights to dress as they choose, as long as its in accordance with the course policy.

Not trying to be a jerk, but you are either trolling, or completely uptight. The game is about having fun. It's not about portraying an image, because most people trying to portray an image are not that person. I'll take the real person for $200 Alex.

[quote name='RobGolf72' timestamp='1424792723' post='11017769']
Just try and class it up, and respect the game.
[/quote]

Rob, do you wear a necktie or bowtie when you play? Our Golf fore-fathers did. If you want to respect the game then wear a tie when you play.

TIP: If you wear a necktie then wear a vest sweater over it so the tie won't get in the way of your swing.

The truth is some of us have great legs that should be seen.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

I will retire October 1st (I will turn 64 that day)

From that point forward I will own 1 pair of pants for weddings and funerals.

I will wear shorts everyday, everywhere I go for the rest of my life.

I will wear golf shirts every day.

I will wear sneakers everday (even at weddings and funerals)

I will be buried in golf shirt and shorts.

I have had to wear dress crolthes for toooooooooo long and when I retire, no more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

During the Winter i wear pants but living in southern Louisiana where the summers get 95-105 starting in late April early May; 110 with the heat index; im wearing shorts. I play with a lightweight golf shirt and always keep it tucked in but any temp over 65-70 degrees im wearing shorts eapecially with the high humidity levels in the morning.

During the Winter i wear pants but living in southern Louisiana where the summers get 95-105 starting in late April early May; 110 with the heat index; im wearing shorts. I play with a lightweight golf shirt and always keep it tucked in but any temp over 65-70 degrees im wearing shorts eapecially with the high humidity levels in the morning.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This feed is hilarious!
You can't be serious though ... like many have said, until someone pays me to play the game or pays for my membership ... then I will abide by your rules. Until then, uhhh ... don't ride in my cart in the heat of the summer cause you will be Stankin Son!

Driver: Titleist TSR3 UST Mamiya Prototype  

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue

Utility: Titleist U500 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue HB

Irons:  T350 4 & 5, T200 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges: Vokey SM9 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Proto 

Ball: ProV1 Left Dot

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah, definately a troll post. OP wouldn't like playing with me on the course ... nor would he be welcome in my foursome. Our group is all about fun. We have a few beverages, chum it up, golf bets, music on the cart (low enough to not piss anyone off) and of course .... WE WEAR SHORTS. It's Arizona. I also wear CROC golf shoes.

Oh, btw .... my group plays private clubs and other nice golf courses(Troon North, Boulders, etc) and we've never had any complaints about our lack of respect for golf . We are 100% respectful of other golfers and the game.

• 1 month later...

In Texas the Southern Texas Section of the PGA of America allows Club Pros to wear shorts from May until September. If you have ever walked 18 in July in Texas you might have a different opinion on shorts. This is why our tour events happen early in the year - and even then its frequently VERY hot.

When I watch mens golf on TV it absolutely looks more "appropriate, normal, professional, etc." for players to be wearing shorts. These are touring pros that a) chooses their schedule b) have clothing contracts & c) play on the tour which in large part is designed to happen most of the time in "good" weather. Certainly there are times when its much hotter or cooler than "normal" at a given place but it is an outdoor game. I do think it would be "weird" for the pros to wear shorts - though it would not keep me from watching.

• 5 months later...

So my collection of golf shorts, Jordan golf shoes and my Air Max 90 golf shoes are a demonstration of my lack of respect for the game? Could you please elaborate on why you feel this so strongly? While I think you're incredibly snobby and a bit pretentious for making these statements I'd love to hear your reasoning behind them.

• 1 month later...

If you tried to go out on a course here in summer, when it's 115, wearing pants and your shirt tucked in, they would probably have you sign a waiver stating they aren't responsible if you get heat stroke.

I'm no glutton for punishment. I wouldn't mind if they did swimsuit days in the summer and had some of the sprinklers on.

• 3 weeks later...

In Texas the Southern Texas Section of the PGA of America allows Club Pros to wear shorts from May until September. If you have ever walked 18 in July in Texas you might have a different opinion on shorts. This is why our tour events happen early in the year - and even then its frequently VERY hot.

When I watch mens golf on TV it absolutely looks more "appropriate, normal, professional, etc." for players to be wearing shorts. These are touring pros that a) chooses their schedule b) have clothing contracts & c) play on the tour which in large part is designed to happen most of the time in "good" weather. Certainly there are times when its much hotter or cooler than "normal" at a given place but it is an outdoor game. I do think it would be "weird" for the pros to wear shorts - though it would not keep me from watching.

Love your avatar.

WITB:
Driver: Taylormade M1 w/ Fubuki 73x
3W: Taylormade M1 w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 73x
Titleist 710 CB 4-6 KBS Tour x
Titleist 710 MB 7-PW KBs Tour x
Vokey Spin Mill 52* and 56*
Vokey SM4 60*
Carbon Ringo Long Neck

Handicap: +0.3

• 2 weeks later...

If you tried to go out on a course here in summer, when it's 115, wearing pants and your shirt tucked in, they would probably have you sign a waiver stating they aren't responsible if you get heat stroke.

I'm no glutton for punishment. I wouldn't mind if they did swimsuit days in the summer and had some of the sprinklers on.

This exactly.. why punish yourself when it's so hot outside? Some people are just jerks

• 3 weeks later...