Gabe Golf Swing Trainer

wondering if anyone has experience w this ?

Greg has shot it in a few PGA guys bags as of late

Here's a pic of it in GD's bag (its the dark charcoal head i the bag)

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-01%20at%208.43.17%20AM_zpssk4qhzud.png

so what I gather is this:

• its a fully playable golf club, intended for practice only
  • it has a Maltby head of some sort on it and a graphite shaft?
  • it has a couple bearings inside the shaft that move as the club does
  • its intention is when you bring the club back and stop when the bearings hit the head, inside the shaft. Once they do, release and start the down swing to impact.

its sold for $150 plus shipping on the website

My questions:

1. anyone get their hands on one and try it?
  2. Could you not build one for A LOT cheaper than $150? Im in Canada so this rig will be almost $300 shipped once the conversion rate hits and possible duty and taxes.
  3. Is the purpose of the graphite shaft & a .370 iron head possible, for a larger diameter bearing(s) inside the shaft? so you can hear them sliding better?

I have a video but its on my phone and I can't post it here, where you can hear the bearings sliding inside the shaft

But i think you know what I mean

let me hear your thoughts....

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the process of trying to figure out how best to build something like this. It reminds me if the old ledbetter "swing setter". If I was going build something like this I would put a removable super light stopper near the hosel and one by the bottom of the grip. Then a removable super light sliding ball or noise maker. I will probably make a prototype out of pvc.

• 1 month later...

So does this device want the club past parallel, so the bearings come down and hit the head? Or up at a 45 degrees so the bearings come down and hit the grip side? Anyone know?

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

• 10 months later...

Probably the only aid out there that's not in my stable. Naturally, I want it. This is the final piece of the puzzle. Not going to pay $150 plus shipping for it though. Also, Gabe changed the head to 7 iron while I'd prefer the 8. If anyone has one collecting rust or has a discount code for this, please LMK.

Thx

so what I gather is this:

• its a fully playable golf club, intended for practice only

Yes but it is not USGA legal.

• it has a Maltby head of some sort on it and a graphite shaft?

Gabe said it is a forged club sourced from China. It has a powder coated KBS Tour shaft.

• it has a couple bearings inside the shaft that move as the club does

He has filed a patent on this so can't comment.

• its intention is when you bring the club back and stop when the bearings hit the head, inside the shaft. Once they do, release and start the down swing to impact.

The bearings will make noise ath the top and that is when you are to initiate the downswing.

its sold for $150 plus shipping on the website

My questions:

1. anyone get their hands on one and try it?

He gave me one and I use it often.

1. Could you not build one for A LOT cheaper than $150? Im in Canada so this rig will be almost $300 shipped once the conversion rate hits and possible duty and taxes.

Probably not. I mean I never took one apart but you could likely reverse engineer it.

1. Is the purpose of the graphite shaft & a .370 iron head possible, for a larger diameter bearing(s) inside the shaft? so you can hear them sliding better?

See above; it's not graphite. Not sure of hosel diameter. From what I understand this isn't relavent.

I have a video but its on my phone and I can't post it here, where you can hear the bearings sliding inside the shaft

But i think you know what I mean

let me hear your thoughts....

I commented inside your post for better clarity.

910D3 9.25* PX 6.5
910F 16.5* PX 6.5
910H 20.5* PX 6.5
T-MB 4, 5 TI X100
716 AP2 6-9 TI X100
SM5 46* Chrome TI X100
SM5 Raw 52*, 56*, 60* Raw TI S400
Wilson Staff 1

So does this device want the club past parallel, so the bearings come down and hit the head? Or up at a 45 degrees so the bearings come down and hit the grip side? Anyone know?

I mean not exactly 45* obviously but that option. The bearings don't hit the grip they just start to make a noise and that's when you initiate the downswing.

910D3 9.25* PX 6.5
910F 16.5* PX 6.5
910H 20.5* PX 6.5
T-MB 4, 5 TI X100
716 AP2 6-9 TI X100
SM5 46* Chrome TI X100
Wilson Staff 1

Probably the only aid out there that's not in my stable. Naturally, I want it. This is the final piece of the puzzle. Not going to pay $150 plus shipping for it though. Also, Gabe changed the head to 7 iron while I'd prefer the 8. If anyone has one collecting rust or has a discount code for this, please LMK.

Thx

Shoot him an email. I'm sure he has one kicking around.

910D3 9.25* PX 6.5
910F 16.5* PX 6.5
910H 20.5* PX 6.5
T-MB 4, 5 TI X100
716 AP2 6-9 TI X100
SM5 46* Chrome TI X100
Wilson Staff 1

• 2 months later...

Thx

Shoot him an email. I'm sure he has one kicking around.

Have sent him 2 emails to the address on his site. Never heard back.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Seems like a training aid version of the GG freezer drill where the shaft has to be fairly vertical to get the marbles to move. So you get a pause, big load, and properly set shaft. Nothing you couldn't do for $2 with a knife, properly sized marble, and some glue on an old club.

There are some videos on the gabe golf website. There is one video where he lets the marbles fall all the way down the shaft. I think he calls this the "delayed response." It is intended to help you get turned behind the ball. He notes that you would not normally play on-course like this. The other is when you swing back and then start your downswing when you hear the marbles start to slide down the shaft. The intent is to stop over-swinging (which is a big problem for me), setting the shaft on plane, and good tempo. Got some PayPal money built up so I'm thinking about getting one. Really like that you can hit balls with it.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero, Diamana D+ 63g Stiff
Callaway XR 5 wood, Project X LZ 6.0
Callaway XR 7 wood, Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist 915 H 24*, Diamana D+ 82 HY Stiff
Ping i500, DG S300 105
Ping Glide 2.0 54 & 58, Ping AMT Stiff
Scotty Cameron CA Monterey, 35"

I decided to bite on it since transition is a big issue.

It is not a graphite shaft, but a heavier (for me) coated steel shaft. I think the article on the front page describes it as a KBS Tour Shaft.

Arrived on Oct. 6, tried it out on the grass range today. I take lessons about once per month and am having issues with an in to out path that is gradually getting better, but I've always felt that my arms get started too soon in the swing - from 7i and lower lofts, it's an issue. So - I had an interest.

IN a nutshell, this swing trainer is great - does exactly what it's supposed to do, allows you to load and smooth out the transition - felt as if I had time.

The first 7 swings or so were me getting accustomed to the heavier club. I have a voice caddie 2 and brought it out.

After a few minutes, I had a semi-succesful shot with the Trainer, and then a good shot with the game 7i. I alternated shots - hear the marble complete their travel down the shaft, get the lower body going and swing. Hit the gamer. My longest shot with range balls with the trainer was 154, with the gamer 157, but I had more consistency with the gamer 7i.

Helped with the driver, too - picked up about 3 mph in swingspeed.

Good results for day 1.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to bite on it since transition is a big issue.

It is not a graphite shaft, but a heavier (for me) coated steel shaft. I think the article on the front page describes it as a KBS Tour Shaft.

Arrived on Oct. 6, tried it out on the grass range today. I take lessons about once per month and am having issues with an in to out path that is gradually getting better, but I've always felt that my arms get started too soon in the swing - from 7i and lower lofts, it's an issue. So - I had an interest.

IN a nutshell, this swing trainer is great - does exactly what it's supposed to do, allows you to load and smooth out the transition - felt as if I had time.

The first 7 swings or so were me getting accustomed to the heavier club. I have a voice caddie 2 and brought it out.

After a few minutes, I had a semi-succesful shot with the Trainer, and then a good shot with the game 7i. I alternated shots - hear the marble complete their travel down the shaft, get the lower body going and swing. Hit the gamer. My longest shot with range balls with the trainer was 154, with the gamer 157, but I had more consistency with the gamer 7i.

Helped with the driver, too - picked up about 3 mph in swingspeed.

Good results for day 1.

So is this just something to make you pause at the top of the backswing? Seems like a lot of $$ to do that. Is there something else to it?

So is this just something to make you pause at the top of the backswing? Seems like a lot of $$ to do that. Is there something else to it?

Some of the benefits must be from following their drills.

http://gabe-golf.mys...-trainer-drills

Just like ... you lose weight from a 10 min workout a day (if you follow their diet plan of 900 calories a day !).

I just found out that the sound is marbles in the shaft dropping.

hmmmm.

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

Just like ... you lose weight from a 10 min workout a day (if you follow their diet plan of 900 calories a day !).

hmmmm.

Right.I originally thought you could just add those, but I guess you'd have to find a way to have them sit at the top as you do the backswing.

hmmmm.

Right.I originally thought you could just add those, but I guess you'd have to find a way to have them sit at the top as you do the backswing.

Sit at the top? They sit down by the clubhead at address and as the shaft approaches 180* vertical from address, gravity would cause the marble to move down to the grip end (which would be lower that the clubhead at this point).

Seems like an easy thing to make on your own.

Unless I am completely missing something here.

hmmmm.

Sit at the top? They sit down by the clubhead at address and as the shaft approaches 180* vertical from address, gravity would cause the marble to move down to the grip end (which would be lower that the clubhead at this point).

Seems like an easy thing to make on your own.

Unless I am completely missing something here.

Sure. But if you just put marbles in your club shaft and put the grip back on, as you move the shaft up, they would instantly roll down the shaft before you even got to the top of the backswing, wouldn't they? He has it so you get to the top of the backswing and then there is a delay before they start rolling down. IT could just be something that slows them down so they don't just roll down on the way to the top of the backswing. Believe me, I'm not defending the product, but there must be something more to it then just putting marbles in the shaft, right? Because if there's not, then you could either say he's a genius for putting marbles in a club and charging $150 for it or that he's ripping people off. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume there must be something else to it as he said the is "a patent" on the product.

Well, the darn thing works.

Have owned it for 2 weeks, and it is making a big difference in transition. If I grab the hands down before the lower body, I hit the big ball, not the little ball.

It forces you to wait while you start the lower body. Also forces you to bring the club somewhat upright in the backswing to get the bearings down - can't lay it off or let the club get behind your body.

And then when you hit your clubs, it makes a big difference. If you have a transition/arms/no using the lower body sufficiently issues, it's a difference maker.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Have owned it for 2 weeks, and it is making a big difference in transition. If I grab the hands down before the lower body, I hit the big ball, not the little ball.

It forces you to wait while you start the lower body. Also forces you to bring the club somewhat upright in the backswing to get the bearings down - can't lay it off or let the club get behind your body.

And then when you hit your clubs, it makes a big difference. If you have a transition/arms/no using the lower body sufficiently issues, it's a difference maker.

I bought it for these same reasons as well - to help with my transition and to get my back swing position a little more vertical. I've swung it in the yard a few times but have not had the opportunity to take it to the range and hit balls with it yet. Looking forward to working with it through the winter months. Looks and feels high-quality. Matte black head, black KBS Shaft, and black Lamkin 3Gen grip. And yes, the marbles/bearings in the shaft don't start to slide down until you get in the full backswing position. In addition, on the downswing you can work to have them hit bottom when you make impact with the ball. If you throw the club away too early they will click before impact.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero, Diamana D+ 63g Stiff
Callaway XR 5 wood, Project X LZ 6.0
Callaway XR 7 wood, Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist 915 H 24*, Diamana D+ 82 HY Stiff
Ping i500, DG S300 105
Ping Glide 2.0 54 & 58, Ping AMT Stiff
Scotty Cameron CA Monterey, 35"

I bought it for these same reasons as well - to help with my transition and to get my back swing position a little more vertical. I've swung it in the yard a few times but have not had the opportunity to take it to the range and hit balls with it yet. Looking forward to working with it through the winter months. Looks and feels high-quality. Matte black head, black KBS Shaft, and black Lamkin 3Gen grip. And yes, the marbles/bearings in the shaft don't start to slide down until you get in the full backswing position. In addition, on the downswing you can work to have them hit bottom when you make impact with the ball. If you throw the club away too early they will click before impact.

Now that seems like something that would be worth buying. I understand that having you pause at the top could be helpful but have a hard time paying $150 when you could just pause and count or something. But something that would help from casting before impact would be much more valuable, IMO.

Now that seems like something that would be worth buying. I understand that having you pause at the top could be helpful but have a hard time paying $150 when you could just pause and count or something. But something that would help from casting before impact would be much more valuable, IMO.

Well, the bearings don't make it down if the club is not in a certain posiiton. So counting does not help in that case. And I've tried leaving the club at the top previously - works on the range when you think about it. Gabe Golf club makes you stay at the top while the feet and lower body do their "thing."

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Well, the bearings don't make it down if the club is not in a certain posiiton. So counting does not help in that case. And I've tried leaving the club at the top previously - works on the range when you think about it. Gabe Golf club makes you stay at the top while the feet and lower body do their "thing."

Great! Finding a training aide that actually helps is worth it's weight in gold. I'm just naturally skeptical given all the $$$ I've spent on training aides that have yielded little to no results. But glad this is helping.

Great! Finding a training aide that actually helps is worth it's weight in gold. I'm just naturally skeptical given all the $$$ I've spent on training aides that have yielded little to no results. But glad this is helping.

We must remember that swing trainers only help 1 issue, maybe 2, you've still got to do the work on the rest. At least you can hit balls with this one. The videos on the site have a couple of drills to use. For better players, they don't get it until you tell them that they can swing when they first hear the bearings start to drop. Stopping all the way until they all drop is for guys like me - who can't wait to hit the ball ... and do so with their arms... patience, grasshhopper.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x