[/quote]
Lots of golfers learned on MB's,
Great time to switch, do not look back. If you read these boards long
enough, you may never try them.
Do not be afraid, it is just a style
of an iron, still have to put a good
swing on them. Bet you will settle in
on these quickly.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427759649' post='11248699']
You're right, my math was bad. I removed it as you were typing this.

Still, a good ball striking day is probably [u][i][b]14 greens at least. Remember, we aren't playing the length of courses they are. You've never had a day when you hit 16, or 17 greens?[/b][/i][/u]

[i][b]It's not your fault, it's just another T. Beau instance of people not really understanding what good ball striking actually is.[/b][/i]
[/quote]

You are joking right?

Can you tell me you know many people other than tour pros that hit more than 14/18 GIR on a consistent basis?

They should be on the PGA Tour..... as again I will post the best GIR is 73.3%.... Adam Scott....

[url="http://www.legacy.pgatour.com/stats/stat.103.html"]http://www.legacy.pg...s/stat.103.html[/url]

Keep dreaming that a good day is 14..... let alone hitting 17 or 18, I will say this I have never hit 17 or 18 GIR ever...... Not even on a Par 3 course.......

And not understanding what good ball striking is?... Yes that is all relative....and in comparison to MY personal game. I think my ball striking is fabulous.... But to a tour pro its sh!t..... but I am happy where my game is going......

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='tdelam' timestamp='1427760486' post='11248785']
[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427760053' post='11248739']
[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1427759795' post='11248721']
So you mock blade players with this zealous post and you wonder why threads get shut down?

Why are you so afraid of blades? They are fun and the ball control is something else.
[/quote]

[b]DeNinny, if you don't regularly break par, you are doing yourself a disservice trying to work the ball into pins.[/b]
[/quote]

LOL... ridiculous statement. Try to hit a draw to a pin and plan for a good miss instead, if it goes straight you have a 20-30 footer likely, if you over do it then you might have a chip putt.

One of the teachers here recommends doing the opposite of what you just said. If you practice working the ball, you will benefit greatly. Really, shaping the ball is not all that hard. What's with the weird advice here lately?
[/quote]

I think your comprehension isn't so good or you didn't read all my comments. If you draw the ball, draw it, just don't think you're better off trying to squeeze a cut into a right flag. Hit the draw to the center. LOL. You know like Kenny Perry, or Calc. Or 21yearoldjordanspieth or Zach Johnson. You guys are ridiculous.

There is literally nothing stopping the OP from trying blades, other than possibly looking silly in front of a fitter. But according to my wife, all that embarrassment will pale in comparison to how silly we look when we dress for the golf course.

So do what you will. I played MP-60s (not quite blades) for a long time as a 10+ handicap and I came out a well-adjusted golfer.

So you mock blade players with this zealous post and you wonder why threads get shut down?

Why are you so afraid of blades? They are fun and the ball control is something else.
[/quote]

[b]DeNinny, if you don't regularly break par, you are doing yourself a disservice trying to work the ball into pins.[/b]
[/quote]

LOL... ridiculous statement. Try to hit a draw to a pin and plan for a good miss instead, if it goes straight you have a 20-30 footer likely, if you over do it then you might have a chip putt.

One of the teachers here recommends doing the opposite of what you just said. If you practice working the ball, you will benefit greatly. Really, shaping the ball is not all that hard. What's with the weird advice here lately?
[/quote]

Agreed..... some of the best gaming advice I got was to learn to move the ball....... I think that is one of the reasons why while my score hasnt gotten better I think my over all game has and it will show soon....

When you move the ball purposely you take the guess work out of it.....

Say your intent is to hit it straight.....It may go straight or it may go right a little, or it may go left a little....you dont really know....

But say you intend to draw the ball (Set up etc)... You are either going to do it...or it will hook, BUT you take 1 side of the course out. and you know its going left. Unless you totally screw it up.

Same with a fade......

I dont think you have to break par to move the ball left or right... I know plenty of 10hdcps and down to scratch that have no problem doing so.

Side note.....nine miller, are you a legit +3hdcp? Are you a talented +3 as in you where shooting low scores to begin with and then got to a plus easily? Or where you one that would shoot 100's and got progressively better?

I THINK I am noticing a trend........

Those true talented players that started golf and were shooting 90s and 80's and 70's when they first started seem to have a hard to time believing in blades.

While those not quite so talented that had to develop from 120's to 100's to 80's have found the iron changing and the differences between SGI, GI and MB to be not so much......

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Play whatever you want dude.

I play golf for fun, at the end of the day it doesn't make a bit of difference if I drop or add a couple of shots to my round. I don't play for a living and I don't like to gamble. If the most important thing for you is the number at the end of the scorecard then maybe you should pick some different clubs. If you have fun with them, go for it.

[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1427761282' post='11248883']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed..... some of the best gaming advice I got was to learn to move the ball....... I think that is one of the reasons why while my score hasnt gotten better I think my over all game has and it will show soon....

Say your intent is to hit it straight.....It may go straight or it may go right a little, or it may go left a little....you dont really know....

But say you intend to draw the ball (Set up etc)... You are either going to do it...or it will hook, BUT you take 1 side of the course out. and you know its going left. Unless you totally screw it up.

Same with a fade......

I dont think you have to break par to move the ball left or right... I know plenty of 10hdcps and down to scratch that have no problem doing so.
[/quote]

None a y'all read so good. I never said hit it straight. I said you are doing yourself a disservice working shots to pins. Nothing more nothing less.

**so you are saying there arent blade zealots here and that they dont say such things....oh ok

i learned to play w. blades..that was clearly the hard way to learn.....prob played them for 15 years or more, but thanks for schooling me about them..talk about making assumptions..... as you know i'm really not interested in trying to have any sort of 'discussion' w. you....you may of course (as always) have last word. bye now

j33 460 9.5 ACCRA DyMatch 2.0 MT M4
Exotics cb1 13 Matrix Ozik
Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
j38cb's - 3-pw s300sl pro soft & j36pc GAT 95
j40 52,56 & Odyssey Metal-X #7H
average score = 75

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427761362' post='11248893']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Same with a fade......

[/quote]

None a y'all read so good. I never said hit it straight. I said you are doing yourself a disservice working shots to pins. Nothing more nothing less.
[/quote]

Alright, it's time you put down the funny stuff, it's allowing too much poor judgement

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427761362' post='11248893']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Same with a fade......

[/quote]

[/quote]

You said... if you dont break par.... you are doing a disservice working shots? Why? I dont understand why it would be a disservice to work a ball under the circumstance. I detailed my 18th hole shot that I did work into the pin and hit it in regulation under some pretty extreme circumstances on demand and it worked in my favor. I know for a fact I would never be able to do that with my JPX825pro 4 iron nor my TM 3 rescue.

While we can say the shot was lucky.... I still did it under the circumstances on demand....so it was not impossible.......HOW was that a disservice to my game?

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427760771' post='11248809']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think your comprehension isn't so good or you didn't read all my comments. If you draw the ball, draw it, just don't think you're better off trying to squeeze a cut into a right flag. Hit the draw to the center. LOL. You know like Kenny Perry, or Calc. Or 21yearoldjordanspieth or Zach Johnson. You guys are ridiculous.
[/quote]

i dont know if you watched any of the Valero open.....it was windy there. the one part 3 over the water was into the wind..they stayed on that hole for quite a while. some of the pros just hit their stock shot and powered it through the wind or taking quite a bit more club and swingin easier....others hit some sort of knockdown..more of the bad results were from players flighting the ball down..those guys must be daft..if only they were using blades they would surely have better results :) i joke, even some of the pros dont even mess w. working the ball that much unless they absolutely have to..and in this case they werent even trying to bend the ball which is more difficult than flighting it down unless a draw or fade is their stock shot

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1427761880' post='11248971']

You said... if you dont break par.... you are doing a disservice working shots? Why? I dont understand why it would be a disservice to work a ball under the circumstance. I detailed my 18th hole shot that I did work into the pin and hit it in regulation under some pretty extreme circumstances on demand and it worked in my favor. I know for a fact I would never be able to do that with my JPX825pro 4 iron nor my TM 3 rescue.

While we can say the shot was lucky.... I still did it under the circumstances on demand....so it was not impossible.......HOW was that a disservice to my game?
[/quote]

It's not, don't even let that get in your head, I don't know where he got that from... don't feed that nonsense.

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

In the long run, you'll screw up more of those than you pull off. Do me a favor. Play one round, just one, where you only hit at flags that are comfortable. Usually there will be about 4-6. The rest, hit to the center of the green. Let me know how it goes. Seriously, and non maliciously, I'm asking this. I think it will help you.

[quote name='tdelam' timestamp='1427761964' post='11248983']

[/quote]

It's not, don't even let that get in your head, I don't know where he got that from... don't feed that nonsense.
[/quote]

tdelam, I can only assume you've never played at a truly high level, or with those who do? I could be wrong. The majority of the pros don't even work the ball both ways unless they have to, around a tree etc. There are some that do, sure.

[quote name='T.Beau' timestamp='1427761942' post='11248981']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

i dont know if you watched any of the Valero open.....it was windy there. the one part 3 over the water was into the wind..they stayed on that hole for quite a while. some of the pros just hit their stock shot and powered it through the wind or taking quite a bit more club and swingin easier....others hit some sort of knockdown..more of the bad results were from players flighting the ball down..those guys must be daft..if only they were using blades they would surely have better results :) i joke, even some of the pros dont even mess w. working the ball that much unless they absolutely have to..and in this case they werent even trying to bend the ball which is more difficult than flighting it down unless a draw or fade is their stock shot
[/quote]

T..... actually this is a good point that I will not object to but I want to add a side note to it.

While the tour pro's may not choose to work the ball..... They are talented and skillful enough to do so on demand and move it pretty much any way they like. Us Sunday Hackers or a hacker like myself while not a tour pro... would love to have the ability and the skill to move the ball while it isnt the best choice to do it all the time under ever single situation..... It is a great "TOOL" to have in your bag and confidence to do so when the shot is REQUIRED no????

PS.... Man I love these threads... .No hard feelings gang you guys just make my day go by a little faster! Thank you!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

OP, you need to play what you want to play. Life is too short and I promise you that earth will not stop its orbit if you play MB's.

Titleist TSR3 9* Tensei AV Raw White 75 2.0 TX

Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei AV Raw White 85 2.0 TX

Titleist TSI3 19* GD Tour AD IZ 85X

Titleist T200 2i HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

Titleist 620 CB 4-6 PX 6.5

Titleist 620 MB 7-9 PX 6.5

Titleist SM9 48F, 54S, 60T PX 6.5

Newport 2

[quote name='T.Beau' timestamp='1427761942' post='11248981']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I did see it. Most guys have one shape they play, unless an obstruction forces something different.

I had old 690mb and went to 714 ap2 last year and struggled a little to hit them. This year I've been lighting up the ap2s. I don't have an official handicap (thinking about keeping one this year though) but I'm not a 12 no offense. I'm usually 74-78 playing from tips on all courses (except like oakmont) & if I don't break 80 it was terrible round and I couldn't hit water if i fell out of a boat haha sorry for long story but try the blades man they are certainly sweet if you can hit flush. Nothing like them. Nothing sweeter them flushing a 3 iron blade

Titleist TSR2 10° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 19° KBS Tour Hybrid Proto

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1427762183' post='11249027']
PS.... Man I love these threads... .No hard feelings gang you guys just make my day go by a little faster! Thank you!
[/quote]

It's all good. It's been fun. I always wanted to go off in one of these threads. I've held out until now. Dang, I lasted a long time!!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Same with a fade......

Side note.....nine miller, are you a legit +3hdcp? Are you a talented +3 as in you where shooting low scores to begin with and then got to a plus easily? Or where you one that would shoot 100's and got progressively better?

I THINK I am noticing a trend........

Those true talented players that started golf and were shooting 90s and 80's and 70's when they first started seem to have a hard to time believing in blades.

While those not quite so talented that had to develop from 120's to 100's to 80's have found the iron changing and the differences between SGI, GI and MB to be not so much......
[/quote]

Yea, legit. I played as a kid, starting at 4. Went to college on a scholarship, played professionally, didn't cut it and started a family. A couple respected members here can vouch. Ask ThunderBuzzworth, we play in the same stuff.

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427762147' post='11249009']

[/quote]

[/quote]

tdelam, I can only assume you've never played at a truly high level, or with those who do? I could be wrong. The majority of the pros don't even work the ball both ways unless they have to, around a tree etc. There are some that do, sure.
[/quote]

Yep, I used to play on Canadian tours, I know everything about everything!

Not really... but it's easy to say online :) I think you can see what I am getting at.

I agree about working when required and play a natural shape most of the time but to say that you shouldn't try to cut or draw to a tucked pin is silly. Try it and plan a miss, if you nail it then awesome, you will benefit greatly, if you miss then oh well, chances are you are left with a long putt, much like the putt you'd have if you didn't try! Worst case is you have to chip it on and try to save a par!

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

A 12 cap would not be fitted for blades by any reputable fitter,because you'd be expected to get better results from a cb type club.
That said, play blades if you want to.... It's just a game.

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

Yes, you can play blades. Your 3-9 irons will have little to do with lowering your scores.

Driving, wedge play/short game, and putting will lower your handicap.

I'd recommend a small Japanese forged cavity back from Srixon or Mizuno.
All the joy, looks, and feel of a blade with a little more forgiveness.

PING Rapture *10 driver

Cleveland Halo 5 wood

Titleist 755 Irons
PING Forged wedges
Cleveland Huntington 3

T..... actually this is a good point that I will not object to but I want to add a side note to it.

While the tour pro's may not choose to work the ball..... They are talented and skillful enough to do so on demand and move it pretty much any way they like. Us Sunday Hackers or a hacker like myself while not a tour pro... would love to have the ability and the skill to move the ball while it isnt the best choice to do it all the time under ever single situation..... It is a great "TOOL" to have in your bag and confidence to do so when the shot is REQUIRED no????

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

some/many do..some/many do not i believe. lots of + handicappers and really good golfer just hit their stock shaped shot and control the trajectory (some dont even do that very well at times..see above) ..they pick the pins they can go hunting based upon their stock shot..it's just percentage golf. sure they can bend the ball out of trouble and such, but that is because they have to....i think many people hang on to things that used to be true ..

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

[quote name='tdelam' timestamp='1427762975' post='11249151']
[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427762147' post='11249009']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep, I used to play on Canadian tours, I know everything about everything!

Not really... but it's easy to say online :) I think you can see what I am getting at.

I agree about working when required and play a natural shape most of the time but to say that you shouldn't try to cut or draw to a tucked pin is silly. Try it and plan a miss, if you nail it then awesome, you will benefit greatly, if you miss then oh well, chances are you are left with a long putt, much like the putt you'd have if you didn't try! Worst case is you have to chip it on and try to save a par!
[/quote]

I don't know everything about everything, I just know a lot about what it takes to play good golf. I mean actual good golf, not break 80 "good golf."

[quote name='BMC' timestamp='1427763083' post='11249175']
Yes, you can play blades. Your 3-9 irons will have little to do with lowering your scores.

Driving, wedge play/short game, and putting will lower your handicap.

I'd recommend a small Japanese forged cavity back from Srixon or Mizuno.
All the joy, looks, and feel of a blade with a little more forgiveness.
[/quote]

Funny thing, KZG makes "forgiving blades"... OP - maybe try those instead if you want that same blade-profile? I believe these are the ones http://kzg.com/-blades(2)

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

[quote name='Hit em good' timestamp='1427763040' post='11249169']
A 12 cap would not be fitted for blades by any reputable fitter,because you'd be expected to get better results from a cb type club.
That said, play blades if you want to.... It's just a game.
[/quote]

That's interesting, I just got fitted for blades by a [i]very[/i] reputable fitter. Worse, my 6-iron swing speed is <80 mph. It might be because I don't use very much of the club face, I'm not going to hit it any farther with a CB, my big miss is neither heel or toe. It's the occasional thin/heavy.