• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='T.Beau' timestamp='1427755633' post='11248207']
[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427750144' post='11247665']
I'm going to start the outrage and get flamed but the answer is-

Can you? Yes
Should you? Absolutely not
[/quote]

a voice of reason. i;m thinking of starting a thread 'reasons to not play blades' but am reticent about doing that because it would get hacked away at , ganged up on, and blown up by the blade zealots....if you would support it, and perhaps some others, i would take a stab at it. i dont think the blade zealots should be able to control this forum. maybe it would serve as a place to consolidate stuff since this subject appears on every page of this forum..sometimes multiple times per page
[/quote]

It's not zealotry by blade players. Not all 12 handicaps don't have the same problems that YOU perceive as to why they shouldn't play a blade.

Why do you feel the blade issue is absolute? Numerous (but not all) mid cappers play blades fine and they have proven this with experience.

The only reason the threads get locked is because of guys that fear the blade so much that they mock anybody else that plays them.

There's a reason there is a blade users thread with so many posts from guys at all handicap levels: a blade can be played fine by them. It is not an absolute issue.

If you had a more open mind about it, you may realize where the true zealotry has lied all along.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1427756222' post='11248285']

Can you? Yes
[/quote]

a voice of reason. i;m thinking of starting a thread 'reasons to not play blades' but am reticent about doing that because it would get hacked away at , ganged up on, and blown up by the blade zealots....if you would support it, and perhaps some others, i would take a stab at it. i dont think the blade zealots should be able to control this forum. maybe it would serve as a place to consolidate stuff since this subject appears on every page of this forum..sometimes multiple times per page
[/quote]

It's not zealotry by blade players. Not all 12 handicaps don't have the same problems that YOU perceive as to why they shouldn't play a blade.

Why do you feel the blade issue is absolute? Numerous (but not all) mid cappers play blades fine and they have proven this with experience.

The only reason the threads get locked is because of guys that fear the blade so much that they mock anybody else that plays them.

There's a reason there is a blade users thread with so many posts from guys at all handicap levels: a blade can be played fine by them. It is not an absolute issue.

If you had a more open mind about it, you may realize where the true zealotry has lied all along.
[/quote]

No 12 handicapper on this green planet is consistent enough of a ball striker to benefit from blades. I don't care if Jesus hits their tee balls and Moses chips and putts.

I would bet there is only a small percentage of folks in that thread that actually benefit their game with "workability, flighting" and all that nonsense. Heck, I improved when I quit trying to work the ball and started playing a stock shot. If the flag is accessible, I play to it, if not, I take a run at a 20 or 30 footer.

Can you? Yes
[/quote]

[/quote]

Haha, I don't think the blade zealots run the forum but its just such a polarizing topic that the anti blade group can't resist getting riled up. People can play whatever they want its not anyone's job to regulate :).

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427755948' post='11248245']

Can you? Yes
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm in. People say, oh I hit my blades fine, I'm a good ball striker, when in reality if they played with someone who was truly a top level player they would see what good ball striking actually is. Good ball striking is a 200 yard, 90 foot high 5 iron that cuts or turns over 5 yards.
[/quote]

indeed....good ball striking is a relative term. i dont have that sort of control and i play to a 3-4, and it would be really dumb for me to play blades...nothing to be gained and much to lose. i'm a tennis guy having given a few thousand lessons over the years..i know how people get better at sport and what effect the gear has on learning, so feel qualified to comment

i;ll come up w. some sort of thread later....i dont care if i get flamed for trying to help out...it is the internet after all :)

j33 460 9.5 ACCRA DyMatch 2.0 MT M4
Exotics cb1 13 Matrix Ozik
Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
j38cb's - 3-pw s300sl pro soft & j36pc GAT 95
j40 52,56 & Odyssey Metal-X #7H
average score = 75

[quote name='T.Beau' timestamp='1427756430' post='11248301']

Can you? Yes
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm in. People say, oh I hit my blades fine, I'm a good ball striker, when in reality if they played with someone who was truly a top level player they would see what good ball striking actually is. Good ball striking is a 200 yard, 90 foot high 5 iron that cuts or turns over 5 yards.
[/quote]

indeed....good ball striking is a relative term. i dont have that sort of control and i play to a 3-4, and it would be really dumb for me to play blades...nothing to be gained and much to lose. i'm a tennis guy having given a few thousand lessons over the years..i know how people get better at sport and what effect the gear has on learning, so feel qualified to comment

i;ll come up w. some sort of thread later....i dont care if i get flamed for trying to help out...it is the internet after all :)
[/quote]

Tennis pro? I might know you. PM me, although the tennis pro I know that's a great player would probably be a + cap, but maybe you sandbag. :P

OP, read through these responses, search for other similar threads (CBs vs MBs/blades), and read through those. There is a lot of good information on what you can expect performance wise. As long as you're willing to deal with the outcome/results, and to you it seems worth it, then go for it. Be honest about your reasoning, expectations, and goals. That said, it's unlikely you'll shoot better scores, but it's possible they may end up working well for you for whatever reasons (personal to you) and you could end up a better ball striker. No one can make the decision for you but yourself. Everyone is different.

G430 LST 9
G410 14.5
G410 19, 22
245, 5-gw
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
LAB Mezz Max

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427756315' post='11248293']

Can you? Yes
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No 12 handicapper on this green planet is consistent enough of a ball striker to benefit from blades. I don't care if Jesus hits their tee balls and Moses chips and putts.

I would bet there is only a small percentage of folks in that thread that actually benefit their game with "workability, flighting" and all that nonsense. Heck, I improved when I quit trying to work the ball and started playing a stock shot. If the flag is accessible, I play to it, if not, I take a run at a 20 or 30 footer.
[/quote]
The damage a blade will do to a 12 capper is not nearly as bad as you assume. I played a blade and a CB as a 16 index and down to a 7.5. The blade NEVER hurt my score any more than the CB did. In fact I shot my personal bests and broke 80 more times with the blades.

The workability is definitely attainable as a 12 handicap.

Just because blades didn't work for you means NOTHING to somebody else that may play and swing differently than you. Go read the blade users thread and you may learn from 12 cappers that play blades in there. They are fun to play and the modern blade is not that impossible to hit. You should try it rather than close your mind to it.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1427757041' post='11248355']

Can you? Yes
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
The damage a blade will do to a 12 capper is not nearly as bad as you assume. I played a blade and a CB as a 16 index and down to a 7.5. The blade NEVER hurt my score any more than the CB did. In fact I shot my personal bests and broke 80 more times with the blades.

Just because blades didn't work for you means NOTTHING to somebody else that may play and swing differently than you. Go read the blade users thread and you may learn from 12 cappers that play blades in there. They are fun to play and the modern blade is not that impossible to hit. You should try it rather than close your mind to it.
[/quote]

Yep! I don't play blades, we don't get along but my playing partner is an 11 handicapper who played blades most of his life and can't play anything else. He shoots worse with a GI... he benefits from the blades and he does some nice things with workability. This notion that all players should play GI unless you're low or pro is silly. In a lot of cases it's true but to be completely closed out and saying that ALL 12 cappers wouldn't/couldn't benefit from is simply wrong and asinine.

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

Just because blades didn't work for you means NOTHING to somebody else that may play and swing differently than you. Go read the blade users thread and you may learn from 12 cappers that play blades in there. They are fun to play and the modern blade is not that impossible to hit. You should try it rather than close your mind to it.
[/quote]

I've read the whole thread. I've never seen a 12 or even an 8, 6, or 4 consistent enough to work shots to pins and benefit from it. Ever. They are all better off aiming for the thick and hitting a shot with one shape that gets them there.

I've also never seen a player with blades in those handicap ranges that hits mid and long irons high enough. They may think they do, and they might feel they get around just fine, but in most cases, they'd be better off hitting it higher.

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427758001' post='11248465']

[/quote]

I've read the whole thread. I've never seen a 12 or even an 8, 6, or 4 consistent enough to work shots to pins and benefit from it. Ever. They are all better off aiming for the thick and hitting a shot with one shape that gets them there. I've also never seen a player with blades in those handicap ranges that hits mid and long irons high enough. They may think they do, and they might feel they get around just fine, but in most cases, they'd be better off hitting it higher.
[/quote]
That's a great observation but I've never seen that myself so what do you know? We have different personal experiences! Imagine that!

I've NEVER seen nor experienced myself that a blade actually hurts anyone's final score in the end. There's ZERO studies or statistically valid data that shows a blade clearly hurts anyone's score when using them.

All your point is is an anecdotal observation. Nobody can prove a blade hurts all golfers at any skill level. The manufacturers simply create these arbitrary handicap charts vs iron type and NONE if it is based on scoring data from actual golfers.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1427758547' post='11248533']

[/quote]

I've read the whole thread. I've never seen a 12 or even an 8, 6, or 4 consistent enough to work shots to pins and benefit from it. Ever. They are all better off aiming for the thick and hitting a shot with one shape that gets them there. I've also never seen a player with blades in those handicap ranges that hits mid and long irons high enough. They may think they do, and they might feel they get around just fine, but in most cases, they'd be better off hitting it higher.
[/quote]
That's a great observation but I've never seen that myself so what do you know? We have different personal experiences! Imagine that!

I've NEVER seen nor experienced myself that a blade actually hurts anyone's final score in the end. There's ZERO studies or statistically valid dat that shows a blade clearly hurts anyone's score when using them.

All your point is is an anecdotal observation. Nobody can prove a blade hurts all golfers at any skill level. The manufacturers simply create these arbitrary handicap charts vs iron type and NONE if it is based on scoring data from actual golfers.
[/quote]

Yea but my anecdote is more valuable than yours. :P

Seriously, I have to think that if they are at a point where a blade doesn't hurt their score then nothing would help it, either. Know what I mean?

I don't believe the handicap charts either, to be honest, but you really have to be an elite striker to realize the benefits of blades in a way that outweighs the downfalls.

Can you? Yes
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am an 11.7 right now.....

Friday I played......

I played with my Nike Blades and had a ball strikers day. This has been consistent btw the last 3 rounds...with the blades

Anyways Friday, I shot an 85, with 42 Putts....

Yes 42 Putts, could not roll a ball in the hole......

I had 2 4 putts and 2 3 putts.....

So is my problem because I played blades? Or was it because I couldnt putt to save my life..... I goint with the later.

There is no way to judge a person to what they play only by their handicap. That is just plain ignorant.

some additional stats,

8/14 Fairways

10/18 GIRs

in addition I was 184 yards semi behind a tree with over hang into the wind up hill on a uphill lie. Used a 2iron.... yes a 2IRON....... to stick the pin to 15 ft from that lie and distance.... but of course that was one of the holes I 4 putted to lose the entire match.... WTF.... I was 3up on both players pushing for max and I choked.....

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1427758858' post='11248587']

Can you? Yes
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am an 11.7 right now.....

Friday I played......

I played with my Nike Blades and had a ball strikers day. This has been consistent btw the last 3 rounds...

Anyways Friday, I shot an 85, with 42 Putts....

Yes 42 Putts, could not roll a ball in the hole......

I had 2 4 putts and 2 3 putts.....

So is my problem because I played blades? Or was it because I couldnt putt to save my life..... I goint with the later.

There is no way to judge a person to what they play only by their handicap. That is just plain ignorant.
[/quote]

How many greens did you hit? Crummy math removed... But I'm still curious. ;)

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427758678' post='11248549']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've NEVER seen nor experienced myself that a blade actually hurts anyone's final score in the end. There's ZERO studies or statistically valid dat that shows a blade clearly hurts anyone's score when using them.

[/quote]

Seriously, I have to think that if they are at a point where a blade doesn't hurt their score then nothing would help it, either. Know what I mean?
[/quote]
So that still means they can play a blade fine then. You've contradicted yourself with your own logic.

The other logic you haven't considered is that maybe those mishits aren't as damaging to score as the same mishit from a CB.

LOL you are entitled to your own opinion as to the validity of your own anecdotes. I have no issue with your opinion of them.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427756543' post='11248319']

Can you? Yes
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Tennis pro? I might know you. PM me, although the tennis pro I know that's a great player would probably be a + cap, but maybe you sandbag. :P
[/quote]

no man....no sandbagging here..my scores dont vary much at all from day to day....i;d make a lousy sandbagger.....if i were to play blades however, i would have a much larger spread in my scores from those days where i lose a lot from not purieng the blades..you know...an off day? some people here dont seem to ever have those.....but then again, the blade zealots here really dont miss hit much and when they do, they only lose 3 -5 yards..they are the worlds most interesting men :)

j33 460 9.5 ACCRA DyMatch 2.0 MT M4
Exotics cb1 13 Matrix Ozik
Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
j38cb's - 3-pw s300sl pro soft & j36pc GAT 95
j40 52,56 & Odyssey Metal-X #7H
average score = 75

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1427759072' post='11248619']
[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427758678' post='11248549']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
So that still means they can play a blade fine then. You've contradicted yourself with your own logic.

The other logic you haven't considered is that maybe those mishits aren't as damaging to score are the same mishit from a CB.

LOL you are entitled to your own opinion as to the validity of your own anecdotes. I have no issue with your opinion of them.
[/quote]

Right, I see what you mean. I just did a sh*tty job with that last post. LOL!

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427758994' post='11248601']
How many greens did you hit? If you hit 14, that would have been a 76, 13/77, 12/78, 11/79- get where I'm going? If you were a good ball striker, you would have broken 80 anyway.
[/quote]

I should have broken 80 no problem that day..... I dont know any normal golfer that hits 14/18 regularly. That is the BEST Tour Pro Average.....

http://www.legacy.pgatour.com/stats/stat.103.html

*Edit* Adam Scott is only 73% and he is the highest of 2015....

I am more than happy with 10/18

I should be putting at the least 32 at my handicap right? So a 10 shot differences, hell even 36 2putts per hole would have put me at 79.....

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

You're right, my math was bad. I removed it as you were typing this.

Still, a good ball striking day is probably 14 greens at least. Remember, we aren't playing the length of courses they are. You've never had a day when you hit 16, or 17 greens?

It's not your fault, it's just another T. Beau instance of people not really understanding what good ball striking actually is.

[quote name='T.Beau' timestamp='1427759235' post='11248635']
[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427756543' post='11248319']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

no man....no sandbagging here..my scores dont vary much at all from day to day....i;d make a lousy sandbagger.....if i were to play blades however, i would have a much larger spread in my scores from those days where i lose a lot from not purieng the blades..you know...an off day? some people here dont seem to ever have those.....but then again, the blade zealots here really dont miss hit much and when they do, they only lose 3 -5 yards..they are the worlds most interesting men :)
[/quote]

So you mock blade players with this zealous post and you wonder why threads get shut down?

Why are you so afraid of blades? They are fun and the ball control is something else.

Registered Bladeocrat

Again, without really knowing what the OP does with his game dictates the Irons....

We have done this discussion many times....Honestly I dont get bored of it....as if I can share some "Personal" insight to help someone get better at golf I am happy.....

OP...... Here is the thing.... if it really matters....

I type this in 99% of these threads......

WHY Do you want to play the Blades...

1) Because they are Pretty? PLAY Them
2) Do you need to lower your ball flight? This will help but so will shafting and possibly a swing change?
3) Do you need max workability? Do you even know how to move the ball on demand? Up, down, left and right?

If you have a reason so do it....

If you have no reason.... then dont ask just get them!

Blades or not impossible to hit.... they are not the holy grail that will give you ever lasting life..... they are a set of tools to help a golfer achieve a specific playability to reach their own max potential.....Thats it.... nothing more nothing less....

but guess what.... So is a SGI, so is a GI and so are Players Cavities etc etc etc......Find the tool that helps you get to YOUR highest potential ......

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1427759795' post='11248721']
So you mock blade players with this zealous post and you wonder why threads get shut down?

Why are you so afraid of blades? They are fun and the ball control is something else.
[/quote]

DeNinny, if you don't regularly break par, you are doing yourself a disservice trying to work the ball into pins.

I've NEVER seen nor experienced myself that a blade actually hurts anyone's final score in the end. There's ZERO studies or statistically valid data that shows a blade clearly hurts anyone's score when using them.

[/quote]

There are no studies that I'm aware of that show the average scores of amateur golfers have improved over the last 50/60 years. Have you ever seen one?

As a 12 myself, I play with a full set of blades. Playing blades has not really cost me anything aside from a few rattling teeth type sensations after thinning a shot on a cold day. To be fair though, I spend a lot of time at the range working with my irons. If I were truly a smart boy and wanted to really lower my handicap, I'd do a better job of spending a lot more time on the practice putting green. It's not at all unusual for me to have 43 to 45 putts per round. Come to think of it, disregard my advice entirely.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

All your point is is an anecdotal observation. Nobody can prove a blade hurts all golfers at any skill level. [b]The manufacturers simply create these arbitrary handicap charts vs iron type and NONE if it is based on scoring data from actual golfers[/b].
[/quote]

Yeah. It's almost like their motivation is to make you enjoy the game to the fullest potential so you associate their products with playing well. Today, we turn the economics and marketing of golf equipment upside down! Blades for all!

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1427760053' post='11248739']
[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1427759795' post='11248721']

[/quote]

[b]DeNinny, if you don't regularly break par, you are doing yourself a disservice trying to work the ball into pins.[/b]
[/quote]

LOL... ridiculous statement. Try to hit a draw to a pin and plan for a good miss instead, if it goes straight you have a 20-30 footer likely, if you over do it then you might have a chip putt.

One of the teachers here recommends doing the opposite of what you just said. If you practice working the ball, you will benefit greatly. Really, shaping the ball is not all that hard. What's with the weird advice here lately?

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite