2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What Did You Shoot Today? (Continuation)

1t2golf

74. Was playing a practice round for my golf association's Public Links Championship on Tuesday. Nothing that's gonna win the tourney, but the upside was that I shot a 39 on the front and ground out 9 straight pars on the back on a day when I was hitting the ball the worst I have all year.

Adams Speedline 9064 LS 9.5 Diamana D+ 62s
Adams Speedline 9032ti HyFW 14.5* Aldila VooDoo SNV7s
Adams Speedline Fast 10 18* Wasabi 70s
Mizuno MP-20 3-PW DG S300
Titleist Vokey Sm6 Brushed Copper 56*M
Titleist Vokey Sm6 Brushed Copper 60*M
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5
Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='stepup' timestamp='1429759392' post='11422065']
I have been playing 8 months and still haven't brokeN 100. I play everything strictly by the rules because when I break 100 I really want it to mean something. Today I played 18 with a business associate and I was 10 over on the front and knew I had a really good shot at breaking 100. I went 18 over on the back for a smooth 100. Best score to date but sucked it up on the back.
[/quote]Rewarding to see an honest man. Other responders correct: middle of greens. First time I broke 90, played club very late in year. There were holes in the greens but flags had been removed. Therefore hit to green and then find the hole. Was easiest round ever played. Shot 86. Learned something that day!

Rather touch and go 81 (+11), missed twice from inside 3' after hitting 3/4 gap wedges tight, then had a turned over left handed incident with an ob fence late on leading to a double and tried forcing a birdie at 18 leading to a 3 putt. Holed some decent putts otherwise and played fairly decent in general. A bit frustrating as the leading net score gets to play in a national event with the club pro.

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

Another bad 9/"good" 9 for me. Went 46/41 for an 87. It was a peculiar round for me where my weaknesses turned to real strengths, and my strengths were my weaknesses, with putting in limbo. The driver was on to the point I was stepping on every tee shot and if I missed the fw, it wasn't by much, but I couldn't get comfortable over the ball with the irons.

Someday it will all be there at the same time, I'll shoot an uncharacteristically low round, and then I should stop golfing. I picture the priest from caddy shack when that day comes ;)

Not a great day regardless of the score. You ever "lost" 4 balls in the middle of a fairway where you see a cart leaving the fairway as you come around a hill/trees and your ball is missing? Yeah, it was one of those days. No good "such and such" scumbags took off with a sleeve of new balls I was demo'ing plus a new Chrome Soft. After the 4th ball, I was ticked off to the point score didn't matter and I switched to an older Chrome+ in yellow. Saw a cart head into our fairway and stop near the ball, then leave. I guess they weren't a fan of yellow balls. :)

Score: +8, 79 (37-42). Can you guess when I stopped caring? 3 birdies, both on GIR's from inside 10 feet.
Putts: 27 (holed out for a birdie from about 20 yards pitching to a pin 4 paces on from the shorted fringe on the first hole), punched greens
GIR: 6 (canyon winds drove me almost as mad as the ball thieves)
Fairways: 9/14 (not bad given some fairways are about 15 yards wide in landing zones)

I think that is the last time I play this certain course for quite a while. Used to be a nice place to escape the ball thief as not many people played it midday, but looks like that is gone. I hope the scum enjoys all the blue dots on the balls. Makes it easy to know if someone is playing one of my old balls. :)

:angry:

Played like a donkey on Tues with the boys. 82 with too many doubles.

Played again today. One of the best rounds I've played in a very long time as far as ball striking, GIR and realistic birdie opportunities. 3 over thru 17....doubled 18 to shoot 75. Yes, I know...first world problems but was still annoyed at myself. :taunt:

Played the back 9 of a local executive course for the first time Thursday evening. Wasn't very happy with my score. Played it again Friday evening and shot the score shown below.

Other than the blowup on 12, this is the best I've ever shot.

I purposely played my tee shot on 10 at 110 yards to leave myself 149 yards to the green, and 120 on 11 to leave myself 115 yards to the green so that I would get good practice on as many different approach distances as possible.

I've read the threads comparing executive courses to full-size courses but I really don't know how I would compare this one. USGA slope is 90 from the Whites. I definitely wouldn't call it an easy course. There's a lot of trouble in play on most of the holes (water, sand, long grass in the "bailout" areas). I was very happy with the scores on the rest of the holes.

Played the front nine like I had no business with a golf club in my hands. 7 over 42 played the back nine not much better but did manage to birdie 3 of the last 4 holes to shoot even and a 79 on the day.

Great day in SW FL to play golf, low 80s and all the snow birds have gone north.

Callaway XR 9.5 degree
Callaway X Hot 15 degrees
NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
Callaway Razr Tour Irons
50 degree Volkey
[url="Seemore%20Putter"]WITB Link[/url]
58 degree cleveland
52 degree Sixron

[quote name='Jon H' timestamp='1430426983' post='11475611']
77 with 5 birdies.
[/quote]
Isn;t that just a head scratcher when you have that many birds and are over par? I played a long time ago with a guy that had 6 birds, 6 pars and 6 bogeys to card his first even par round, on our way to the cars I told him he would re-live this round and wonder how he did not shoot under par, He was enjoying the even par round he had, thought about what I said and remarked, thanks BUZZ KILL.

Callaway XR 9.5 degree
NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
Callaway Razr Tour Irons
50 degree Volkey
58 degree cleveland
52 degree Sixron

[quote name='Ballgofarboy' timestamp='1430599961' post='11487113'][quote name='Jon H' timestamp='1430426983' post='11475611']
77 with 5 birdies.
[/quote]
Isn;t that just a head scratcher when you have that many birds and are over par? I played a long time ago with a guy that had 6 birds, 6 pars and 6 bogeys to card his first even par round, on our way to the cars I told him he would re-live this round and wonder how he did not shoot under par, He was enjoying the even par round he had, thought about what I said and remarked, thanks BUZZ KILL.[/quote]

If I were closer to scratch I would think that. I got off to a slow start and had poor luck on a couple holes, but finished strong with birdies on 3 of the last 4.

Callaway GBB Epic 9*, Aldila Rogue
Ping i25 3w, G400 3hy
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW
Vokey 50* SM7 F, 56* SM7 S, 61* SM5 Raw M
Newport 2 Select

Shot 74 today. Started of slow with a 40 on the front 9. Started the turn with a birdie and proceeded to card two more birdies and the rest pars to shoot 34 on the back.

My boss and I both play callaway drivers me a big bertha alpha and him the v series. I started to not like my fubuki x shaft and really like his speeder on the v series. It just so happens he loved how he could hit my driver. We swapped shafts and kept the same heads and both of us drove the ball better than we ever had. It was great!

81 today.

First day with a new putter that I haven't practiced with more than 1 time, so I three putted at least 4 greens and missed another 4-5, 3-4 footers.

Iron distances are off and I can't hit wedges right now for some reason. Anytime I was 100 out (which is normally 52 degree wedge and throw a dart) I missed the green entirely.

Did have 2 nice birdies on 2 par 3's. Both were pin high off of the tee and tap-ins.

I'm taking it in stride, because I'm still shaking the rust off from a few years away, and this was a course I haven't played in years that has a TON of hidden danger that you need to know about to navigate the course. All in all though, it was a beautiful day and I played golf, so life is good.

2nd round since last November. Birdied 18 for an even par 72. Go figure.

Perfect 3 for 3 on sand saves.

1 birdie, 1 bogey.

Hopefully this means 2015 will be a good year :)

PING G400 Max 

PING G400 3 wood

Still Searching for something in between

PING S55 4-PW

Vokey 50, 56, 60

Odyssey AI ONE Milled #1

Pro V1

Second tourney with my new men's club, first at the home course.Recently aerated greens made for some tricky putting. Very happy with my round, drove it MUCH better than last tournament. Two birdies and four bogeys for a two over 73. I think I won, not sure though.

TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

3rd Tourney of the year today. Started off OK but on the 3rd hole I accidentally hit someone else's ball and had to take a 2-stroke penalty and ended up with a 7 on the hole and a 52 on the front (Could have been worse, saved a few strokes with the putter). The back was much better a 42 with a birdie, 3 pars, 4 bogies, and 1 triple. The triple sucked because it hit a solid drive and it hit a tree and went O.B. and I had to re-tee. I am happy that I didn't let the 52 on the front or the triple get to my head. I was also proud that I stayed positive the whole round, something I really struggle with.
I shot 94 which was good for 5th although only 6 strokes from 1st.

[quote name='Ballgofarboy' timestamp='1430599961' post='11487113']
[quote name='Jon H' timestamp='1430426983' post='11475611']
77 with 5 birdies.
[/quote]
Isn;t that just a head scratcher when you have that many birds and are over par? I played a long time ago with a guy that had 6 birds, 6 pars and 6 bogeys to card his first even par round, on our way to the cars I told him he would re-live this round and wonder how he did not shoot under par, He was enjoying the even par round he had, thought about what I said and remarked, thanks BUZZ KILL.
[/quote]

First time I shot 72/even in a tournament I did it in a USGA qualifier, I had shot under par in tournaments just not even, I had 7 birdies, birdied all par 3's and three par 4's and played the par 5's at 7 over.

Anyway, played a practice round with my son for a parent/junior tournament at a course neither of us has played on Saturday, shot 78, hit 10 fairways and 15 greens. This sounds horrible but it was good for me because I have been struggling mightily off the tee until getting some better options and setup in the bag.

For the tourney we now know to stay under the hole and there were a few holes that require a bit different strategy. I had 3 doubles that I chalked up to hitting driver or not hitting driver at the right time.

Callaway GBB Oban devotion
V Steel 13 s300 steel shaft
Adams prototype 18* vs Proto
Adams prototype 23* Aldila rip
Razr X tour 5-pw vs Proto
Cleveland cg14 48
Callaway md3 s grind 52
Vokey 58
Odyssey WH 7

Funny thing happened on the way to playing 18 holes today.

We ended up playing 31. We were the first off and when we rounded the 14th hole we dbl back to 12 to play those three holes again as there was no one behind us. NOW, if I could drop those three holes the first time I played them and pickup how I played them the next time around I shoot 71 on the day. Instead I played those like a moron and end up with a 76 on the day,

Then after completing 18 we go back to hole 15 and play 15 16 17 then jump back to hole 11 and play it in again.

I was getting a bit tired by them.

Highlight of the day, when we played 18 the first time I was at the fringe in two and chipped in for Eagle. So think of that, I played the front 9, 9 straight pars, then played the back 9 4 over with an Eagle to bring we back to just 4 over. What consistency.

Callaway XR 9.5 degree
NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
Callaway Razr Tour Irons
50 degree Volkey
58 degree cleveland
52 degree Sixron