2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What Did You Shoot Today? (Continuation)

1t2golf

One of these days I'll break 80.

This time last year, I came to 18 tee having no clue I needed to make par to shoot 79. Ended up three putting from 40 feet to shoot 80.

Today, I came to 17 tee knowing EXACTLY what I needed - a birdie on one of the last two holes. 17 is a reachable par 5 if you hit a good drive.

Smoked it off the tee. 215 left, I've been hitting my 3H well all day...thin it. Left with a 50 yard pitch shot which I botch and leave 30 feet short of the hole. Proceed to three putt for bogey.

So of course, what happens on 18?

Birdie. Shoot 80 on the number, tying a career low.

Funny game.

86 yesterday. Good round, 3 doubles in a row on holes 4, 5 and 6 let me down, but other that that it was very good. Driving was much better, hit 47% of fairways, with an average of 227.5 maxing out at 268, so not WRX-distance, but much improved. Other than one which was 31 yards off-line, my furthest off-line was 15 yards, which again is much, much better. Also had just 30 putts, which for me is very good, been averaging around 34 to 36 recently, so was nice to putt properly, and had no three-putts which again is something I've been working on cutting out. Not a spectacular round, but considering I was shooting around 97 to 110 last summer, to have shot two 86's, and not shot 100+ since the start of March (where I shot 101 in tough conditions) shows how much I've improved. The only thing that is frustrating me is that I've not broken 85 yet, which is the goal I set myself at the start of the year. It's coming though!

Played yesterday at clear creek golf course south of Houston. First time playing there. Shot an 88, with 6 penalty strokes! 4 of them were from not being able to find my ball in the long grass off the fairway.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

[quote name='sappytop' timestamp='1433848775' post='11717322']
played two rounds at graysburg hills in tennessee..course has three 9's.

75 - 6/14 fairways, 10/18 GIR and 32 putts

85 - 6/14 fairways, 9/18 GIR and 34 putts
[/quote]Great hat.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

Kind of a depressing start. First hole, tag a fair drive, hit a 50 degree wedge to 3 foot, miss the putt. Second hole, another good drive, another 50 degree wedge 6 foot behind the pin, miss the putt, miss the come back putt make bogey, third hole good drive, CHUNK the PW and chip to 4 foot, miss the putt, par in from there. This could have been so easily an under par front.

Backside, group allows us to play through, I hit a poor drive and it is ball washer time. Retee and hit a good drive, plant a 9 iron from 150 yds to 2 foot and save bogey. 11th hole monster drive for me, 50 degree wedge to 8 foot, miss the putt, 12 hole, par 5, crap tee ball, snap hook a three wood to 180 out, hit a very poor 5 iron short of a greenside bunker, CAN the lob wedge for Birdie (strange game) par the next hole, then another par 5, poor drive into a fairway bunker, second shot ball catches the lip and goes 10 yrs, horrid lie and mash a 4 iron to 180 out, crushed a 7 iron to the front of the green (what was I thinking from 180 with a 7 iron?) two putt for a bogey, play one under the rest of the way in.

two over on the day but I always have to kick myself with the should of would of could of.

Callaway XR 9.5 degree
Callaway X Hot 15 degrees
NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
Callaway Razr Tour Irons
50 degree Volkey
[url="Seemore%20Putter"]WITB Link[/url]
58 degree cleveland
52 degree Sixron

Finally broke away from the home course today. I always think our course is so easy due to it's length (6200) and dont give myself credit, saying I will always shoot worse on other courses. I am not a long hitter. I think I sometimes forget that it has a lot of trees and some gnarly chutes off the tee in some places. I played a course today that was 400+ longer and shot 78 with 3 doubles. I made a few birds, and just overall played well. The greens are bigger and faster than the home track, so had the three doubles due to 3 putts from distance (ran a few by about 8-10 feet.

I am a solid iron player, I think, for the most part. I hit a 5 iron to10 feet today, hit a 6 to 9 inches, hit another 9 iron to 5 foot, also hit 2 more greens with the 4-5 iron.

I felt really good about my round today. I am not under the impression that a I am "good" player, but I feel I can play at a level where my game does not embarass me, and that feels good.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I'll chime in......trying really hard to get these "new" shafts (PXi 5.0) dialed in....well something clicked while on the range yesterday and it carried over into today's round.

Playing local track from only 6000yd , I posted a tidy 68 4 under with 16 greens....got to hit all irons and greens were aerated. ......the next round is very important. ...

A good one today on my home course. Broke par for the first time all year with a 71 which included 7 birdies. I missed three putts iinside of 6' and doubled the easiest hole on the course, a reachable par 5 that I just missed hitting in 2. But no complaints. I drove the ball really well and putted well other than the short misses. It was very encouraging because I haven't been hitting the ball solidly in the past few weeks. It was a 67 or 68 just waiting to happen.

The Callaway BB Alpha 815 found its way out of timeout and into my bag today and I hit it very well. I also just put a new XR Pro 16* FW in the bag a week ago and I'm liking it. 3 out of 3 fairways and a pair of shots off the deck that all went pretty much where I was aiming. I missed one shot all day when I tried to hit a high fade into a long par 4 with my 23* hybrid; I hit a dead pull into the junk and I had to make a spectacular bogey.

Damn..... I had one of those good days bad days.....

So I have been pretty sick lately, but still getting out.... played 3 rounds in the last 2 weeks....didnt shoot that good but...... I guess the best I could

87, 87 and Yesterday 91

The funny part is while I haven't shot these higher scores in a while, the 91 was the shocker. The score while high was more because of direction but my ball striking was actually phenomenal!

Yes..... I had 3 OB's and 1 Water...... Well 2 of them was because I hit the ball so far I ran out of fairway and went OB, they other 2 was just dumb luck I hit 2 shots that was dancing on the edge of the fairways and must have got a bad kick OB....couldnt find the ball but we all saw it and didnt think it was OB so I didnt hit provisional but......just happens

Any ways.... just gotta work on it...... but all in all feels nice to hit center strikes and solid! Hell, how often can you say you hit it so well you ran out of fairway and went OB LOL

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Even par from my recliner.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Not today, but last week was able to play 9 with my parents and my son, so a pretty cool round of golf. 3-putt bogey on the first hole, chip in birdie on the last, and 7 pars in between for a 36 on the second "home" course from my youth. First round in a very long time where I did not completely mis-hit a shot and my misses were playable. Short game was solid with a few up-and-downs that saved the round.

drn92

shot -2 (34) last night in leagues to take home some skin $...went par, birdie, par, par, birdie, bogey, birdie, bogey, birdie

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Here's my last four rounds:

Score Front/Score Back Fairway % GIR % Putts
43/44 69.2 22.2 33
46/40 57.1 38.9 36
44/42 92.3 16.7 32
53/48 21.4 16.7 39 (all Fairways hit and GIR's on the back nine)

I have no idea where this last round came from. I couldn't drive, I couldn't hit irons or fairway woods, I couldn't chip, and I couldn't putt. Going from 12/13 fairways hit one week to 0/9 on the front the next week was frustrating to say the least.

Today's round was quite interesting to say the least.

Drove the ball ok...sprayed a few, only two cost me...one being a double, the other going OB on a par 5 and leading to an 8...ouch. Other than that I played the par threes great but couldn't quite capitalize on some great iron shots into par 4's. Still had three birdies, Finishing with a birdie and shot 77. Eliminate the penalty stokes and I shoot low 70's and get a few putts to fall and I would had flirted with par or better. Odd round haha.

First red number of the year for me on Sunday at my home course, 1 under 71. It was rather disappointing too as I made 6 birdies, lost a ball just off the fairway on 4 in the rough for my only double. Next day in a qualifier for our state Am I had a dismal 82 with no birdies and 2 doubles at a course I had never seen. Lots of uncertain swings on my approach shots which led to many missed greens chipping was mediocre at best and I had to make a lot of good 3-8 foot putts to save pars and bogey's. Followed it up with an evening round right after to flush out the bad thoughts and had a decent 76 with one birdie and 5 bogies.

Gotta find a way to play unfamiliar courses with the same conviction, committing to a shot is a huge part of success if you ask me.