MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

13 on Seaside at OC. Par 5, dogleg right. Tight on both sides out of the shoot to the dogleg. Center of fairway is about 250 off the tee, then the turn. This gigantic tree protects the left side, and you can see the red 100 yard marker just shy of the tree. There's a 50% shot that you will NOT have a full swing to go for the green due to tree issues on your second shot. So you are laying up, or punching out. This big effin thing is in the way for 20% of the fairway, and everything left. Green is protected with a bunker on either side pinching the run-up, and the back falls off 10' to a ditch/skeeter field. Most times I'm trying to hit a cut off the tee and end up hitting it thru the fairway. Sometimes it works out for a hard punch draw 5 iron to get past this thing, but inevitably it catches a few and knocks them down. At that point you are 85-100 out, with the tree directly in the way to a tight green. And the play it safe off the tee contingent?? If you don't hit it 250ish, you aren't getting around the corner. There are a few 150 year old maples and oaks protecting that edge. And no chance to just blow it into the other fairway. It's thick thru there.

This was also that scene of the last club I snapped over my knee about 10 years ago.

Has anyone gotten fitted for irons at the Club Champion in Rockville? Strongly considering it. I've never been fit for any club, so this is a new experience for me. Have done a fair amount of research on local club fitters and the feedback on Club Champion has been overall pretty good.

Also, any info on the cost? I know how much the fitting is, but end-of-day, with new irons, what's the range for which I should expect to spend?

Long story short, do the fitting with CC, but don't buy the clubs from them. They will literally charge you twice as much for a set of irons as you would pay from any other retailer.

So if I get fit for them at CC, but don't buy them there, what's the best way to go about buying them? Will I be able to get them spec'd out through an OEM to the same level I would at CC?

Follow-up: Has anyone been fit at Golf Care Center in Bethesda? Sounds like they order their clubs from an OEM after the fitting, which is what everyone seems to be saying is the cheaper option. That said, their iron fitting is $100 more--but comes with a wedge fitting as well, so price is close.

Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback!

I really like Golf Care Center. Its a unique place. There is a difference in fitting between GCC and CC. CC has Trackman, a really nice store, amazing head and shaft combos to try, etc. You will get a good fitting and you can expect to pay a lot - between the exotic shafts, non stock options, etc. My current driver was fit from CC and I love it. The fitting is indoors, but they have awesome Trackman bays that show ball flight on the projector.

At GCC, the experience is different. Its an older shop with older tech. I believe Wade works with a Vector. You won't see the ball flight in a simulator. You are placing a lot more trust in Wade, who does their fittings. He was a very good player and coach. Wade will do his own analysis of you swing, will analyze the numbers on the monitor, and will explain his line of thinking. You are placing a lot more trust in him. You won't try every cool shaft/head combo. That said, with irons, you are probably going to end up with Mizuno when working with Wade. If you have a strong brand preference, definitely let him know as he will take that into account, but if you don't tell him and let him pick, it will probably be Mizuno. Wade is going to give you his prescription and you have to trust him. He fit me for my irons which I love. Also, Wade is going to fit you into a stock option 95% of the time. So you will spend more on the fitting, but you can expect to be fit into a stock option. Additionally, I've gone to see him twice and he didn't sell me anything, just tweeked what I brought in (my G15 driver in 2010 and during a putter fitting a few months ago).

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

might be up for a butt crack of dawn/dew sweeper Saturday morning if anyone interested

I might could be interested.

On a separate topic, my son and I went out to Woodmont Country Club yesterday to watch sectional qualifying for the US Open. We walked hole #7 with Billy Hurley III, who ended up winning.

Then we saw a big group coming up #6, so my son wanted to check it out. Turns out that was local guy Dennis McCarthy's group. So we followed them up through #9, his finishing hole. He ended up in a 3 way tie for 2nd. We didn't stay for the playoff, but he made it through the playoff, along with one other guy, to advance to the US Open.

It was cool to be right up close to there players and see them kill the ball and to be walking right on the fairways. And Woodmont is a gorgeous course. It's interesting to see how the 1 percenters live. The club house the most impressive I've seen in person other than Congo.

Here are some of the pics I took:

https://goo.gl/photos/MYTT4C4FgihUyQhj6

GTT:

#16 at Bull Run. Can play anywhere between 150 and 190. Long skinny green. Anything that misses the green left is wet. Most misses right end up in the bunker (which requires exacting bunker shot directly at the water) or in mounds that make for a difficult chip due to narrowness/length of green. As someone who likes to draw his irons (well, not exactly "likes" to draw his irons, more like his irons like to draw), it pretty much demands a bailout right into aforementioned difficulty.

I'll take 4 every time and run to the next tee box.

And the pin is almost always here:

27272273425_0bf0dd3304_b.jpg

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

So if I get fit for them at CC, but don't buy them there, what's the best way to go about buying them? Will I be able to get them spec'd out through an OEM to the same level I would at CC?

Follow-up: Has anyone been fit at Golf Care Center in Bethesda? Sounds like they order their clubs from an OEM after the fitting, which is what everyone seems to be saying is the cheaper option. That said, their iron fitting is $100 more--but comes with a wedge fitting as well, so price is close.

I really like Golf Care Center. Its a unique place. There is a difference in fitting between GCC and CC. CC has Trackman, a really nice store, amazing head and shaft combos to try, etc. You will get a good fitting and you can expect to pay a lot - between the exotic shafts, non stock options, etc. My current driver was fit from CC and I love it. The fitting is indoors, but they have awesome Trackman bays that show ball flight on the projector.

At GCC, the experience is different. Its an older shop with older tech. I believe Wade works with a Vector. You won't see the ball flight in a simulator. You are placing a lot more trust in Wade, who does their fittings. He was a very good player and coach. Wade will do his own analysis of you swing, will analyze the numbers on the monitor, and will explain his line of thinking. You are placing a lot more trust in him. You won't try every cool shaft/head combo. That said, with irons, you are probably going to end up with Mizuno when working with Wade. If you have a strong brand preference, definitely let him know as he will take that into account, but if you don't tell him and let him pick, it will probably be Mizuno. Wade is going to give you his prescription and you have to trust him. He fit me for my irons which I love. Also, Wade is going to fit you into a stock option 95% of the time. So you will spend more on the fitting, but you can expect to be fit into a stock option. Additionally, I've gone to see him twice and he didn't sell me anything, just tweeked what I brought in (my G15 driver in 2010 and during a putter fitting a few months ago).

I mean, the only opinion you should need is from the Capitol Cup MVP, but I'll throw my $.02 in there as well.

Everything in CCMVP's post is spot on. You'll swing a few with the mizuno shaft optimizer, then probably get fit into one of their heads. The cost per iron will include all of the adjustments (lie, loft, etc...), and it's done by Jack in the shop once the clubs come in. I actually prefer this to ordering from the factory with the "correct" specs and just trusting it. Jack does all that s*** and he's the best club builder I've ever used.

When I got fit at GCC, I ended up getting fit into the exact irons I was already playing. Wade actually felt bad about it and took a look at my driver as well (which I had just been fit for at Club Champion). Still paid the fitting fee, but even though I didn't get new sticks, I still feel like I got my money's worth. Lie adjusted, new grips, set to go.

Wade knows what he's doing, Jack knows what he's doing, it's got the "local" shop kind of feel, and no one (edit...no one I know of) who has had a fitting/had clubwork done has had a bad experience there.

The only tee shot I can't seem to get out of my own way at Hobbits is the 6th hole. There are definitely more difficult driving holes out there, but I swear 50% of the time I step up to the 6th tee, I hit a weak wipe'y push-fade into the swath of trees on the right. There must be 60+ yards width of fairway and rough out there, and I wipe it way right half of the time. I pick a slightly aggressive line, but it's really the awful shots I keep hitting there that jail me. I'm not even sure if just aiming further left is the fix. I just need something I can rely on when I get to that tee.

might be up for a butt crack of dawn/dew sweeper Saturday morning if anyone interested

On a separate topic, my son and I went out to Woodmont Country Club yesterday to watch sectional qualifying for the US Open. We walked hole #7 with Billy Hurley III, who ended up winning.

Then we saw a big group coming up #6, so my son wanted to check it out. Turns out that was local guy Dennis McCarthy's group. So we followed them up through #9, his finishing hole. He ended up in a 3 way tie for 2nd. We didn't stay for the playoff, but he made it through the playoff, along with one other guy, to advance to the US Open.

It was cool to be right up close to there players and see them kill the ball and to be walking right on the fairways. And Woodmont is a gorgeous course. It's interesting to see how the 1 percenters live. The club house the most impressive I've seen in person other than Congo.

https://goo.gl/photo...TT4C4FgihUyQhj6

Spieth Hand. . .

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Gotta read the Torah to get into Woodmont.

This guy needs to go to the hospital

I mean, the only opinion you should need is from the Capitol Cup MVP, but I'll throw my $.02 in there as well.

Everything in CCMVP's post is spot on. You'll swing a few with the mizuno shaft optimizer, then probably get fit into one of their heads. The cost per iron will include all of the adjustments (lie, loft, etc...), and it's done by Jack in the shop once the clubs come in. I actually prefer this to ordering from the factory with the "correct" specs and just trusting it. Jack does all that s*** and he's the best club builder I've ever used.

When I got fit at GCC, I ended up getting fit into the exact irons I was already playing. Wade actually felt bad about it and took a look at my driver as well (which I had just been fit for at Club Champion). Still paid the fitting fee, but even though I didn't get new sticks, I still feel like I got my money's worth. Lie adjusted, new grips, set to go.

Wade knows what he's doing, Jack knows what he's doing, it's got the "local" shop kind of feel, and no one (edit...no one I know of) who has had a fitting/had clubwork done has had a bad experience there.

Just to throw an alternative option out there. I recently went to a Mizuno demo day, they used the shaft optimizer and fitted me into a shaft I like and we went with the same length as my current irons. I tried three different iron models, picked the one I liked and then hit off the lie board and was done. The demo was free and they gave me 25% off the retail price on the irons. You're not getting Wade's expertise, but you're probably saving $200-300 going this route. Also, Mizuno offers a bunch of shafts with no upcharge, which is really a good deal.

http://www.mizunousa.com/Golf/Store-Locator?view=demodays

Golf Talk Tuesday : What tee shot, or approach shot gives you the most trouble at your home course?

17 at Hobbits.

Historically, #1 at Pine Ridge.

For one, it's the first shot of the day, and it's a b1tch. If you can hit the ball 250, you're going to have 200 in. If you can hit the ball 270, you're going to have 150 in.

You'd think that as a right-to-left player, I'd like it, BUT, there isn't a guy here who plays right-to-left who hasn't basically had a round ruined from the first shot by pounding one into the trees left. Or at least had a round get off to a horrible, horrible start.

So, if you're like me, you start moving the aim point a little right. Well, guess what. . .you do that and it doesn't take much to block you out if you go right.

And, you can't just "play it safe" because your 3W is going to hit into a hill and you're going to have 215 in for your first approach shot of the day.

Anything out to the right just lengthens the hole. The play is to play a draw off the middle, or a straight ball off the right side of the trees.

It's a more severe dogleg than people give it credit for. If you hit the ball 265-ish, there is a deceptively small window to get that ball in for a good approach. The card lists the hole at 454. It plays all of that.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

#9 at LP use to eat my breakfast and lunch.

Every now then I would get one over on it but rare.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

GTT:

#16 at Bull Run. Can play anywhere between 150 and 190. Long skinny green. Anything that misses the green left is wet. Most misses right end up in the bunker (which requires exacting bunker shot directly at the water) or in mounds that make for a difficult chip due to narrowness/length of green. As someone who likes to draw his irons (well, not exactly "likes" to draw his irons, more like his irons like to draw), it pretty much demands a bailout right into aforementioned difficulty.

I'll take 4 every time and run to the next tee box.

And the pin is almost always here:

27272273425_0bf0dd3304_b.jpg

dumb question... couldn't you play this as a par 4? pick a club that won't get to the mound right of the bunker (8i?) and then pitch on and 2 putt.

i mean, yeah, this is such a chickenS play but if you actually would take a 4 on this hole every time... and might even squeeze out a 3...

your boy TW did it at cypress point with no qualms.

http://www.golfdiges...ay-up-on-par-3s

this is also the hole that some old timer (hogan? snead? casper?) laid up all 4 days during a tourney, got up and down every single time, and won by 1.

for me, if i call blue mash my home course, it's #17.

Screen_Shot_2016_06_07_at_10_10_01_AM.png

typically around 185 from the blue tees. no bailout. what feels like a narrow green, with a ton of undulation. wind typically into and blowing towards the water. i've hit 3h through 8i, depending on day, wind, and pin. fun hole, if you like late, good round killers.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Ugh, #5 at SPCC. It's a par 3 playing anywhere from 175 to 230 yards. Seemingly always into the wind.

Problem is, the green is narrow and has false edges on the front and left. To the right is a deep bunker. For the "ground golfers" there is even an intermediate bunker about 40 yards short of the green.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Looking at my stats on the grint, and using only the last 10 rounds (taking away all of the winter rounds), holes 3 and 14 have been killers for me.

Hole 14 is a long par 4, rated hardest on the back. And over the last 10 at Piedmont, I'm scoring 1.2 over par. While I'm hitting the fairway 70% of the time, that's only translating into a 10% GIR. So, that's my answer. The approach on #14.

Even funnier, if you look at my last 5 at Piedmont, on #14, I've hit the fairway 100% of the time, and the green 0% of the time.

Have you guys heard the 8th at Oakmont is going to be playing as a 300 yard par 3?

I don't feel the need to solicit DC's opinion on that, or offer mine.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Gotta read the Torah to get into Woodmont.

This guy needs to go to the hospital

That's Fabb.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Didn't get a chance to post this as I've been busy, but a public shout out needs to go out to the ranger staff at War Admiral at GlenRiddle in OC. We played Thursday when a vendor took us out, and we ran into a slow group of 3 on the 8th hole. We waited, and waited, and when we get to #10 there were suddenly 5 players on the green! We call the pro shop, and they send a ranger right away, I mean he was there in 2 minutes. He speaks to them, then immediately comes to us, apologizing profusely, and tells us if they give us any more trouble to call in again and he'll move them to were they should be, but he'll be watching them closely anyway. Cool to see a golf course where they take the pace of play seriously and don't just give you the "Well, they paid their money too..." line.

Oh, and their excuse for playting 5some? They told the ranger they thought they would play faster.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

Have you guys heard the 8th at Oakmont is going to be playing as a 300 yard par 3?

I don't feel the need to solicit DC's opinion on that, or offer mine.

Did you read why?

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/par-3-8th-oakmont-may-reach-300-yards-again

Piece of cake

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

So if I get fit for them at CC, but don't buy them there, what's the best way to go about buying them? Will I be able to get them spec'd out through an OEM to the same level I would at CC? Follow-up: Has anyone been fit at Golf Care Center in Bethesda? Sounds like they order their clubs from an OEM after the fitting, which is what everyone seems to be saying is the cheaper option. That said, their iron fitting is $100 more--but comes with a wedge fitting as well, so price is close. Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback!
I really like Golf Care Center. Its a unique place. There is a difference in fitting between GCC and CC. CC has Trackman, a really nice store, amazing head and shaft combos to try, etc. You will get a good fitting and you can expect to pay a lot - between the exotic shafts, non stock options, etc. My current driver was fit from CC and I love it. The fitting is indoors, but they have awesome Trackman bays that show ball flight on the projector. At GCC, the experience is different. Its an older shop with older tech. I believe Wade works with a Vector. You won't see the ball flight in a simulator. You are placing a lot more trust in Wade, who does their fittings. He was a very good player and coach. Wade will do his own analysis of you swing, will analyze the numbers on the monitor, and will explain his line of thinking. You are placing a lot more trust in him. You won't try every cool shaft/head combo. That said, with irons, you are probably going to end up with Mizuno when working with Wade. If you have a strong brand preference, definitely let him know as he will take that into account, but if you don't tell him and let him pick, it will probably be Mizuno. Wade is going to give you his prescription and you have to trust him. He fit me for my irons which I love. Also, Wade is going to fit you into a stock option 95% of the time. So you will spend more on the fitting, but you can expect to be fit into a stock option. Additionally, I've gone to see him twice and he didn't sell me anything, just tweeked what I brought in (my G15 driver in 2010 and during a putter fitting a few months ago).
I mean, the only opinion you should need is from the Capitol Cup MVP, but I'll throw my $.02 in there as well. Everything in CCMVP's post is spot on. You'll swing a few with the mizuno shaft optimizer, then probably get fit into one of their heads. The cost per iron will include all of the adjustments (lie, loft, etc...), and it's done by Jack in the shop once the clubs come in. I actually prefer this to ordering from the factory with the "correct" specs and just trusting it. Jack does all that s*** and he's the best club builder I've ever used. When I got fit at GCC, I ended up getting fit into the exact irons I was already playing. Wade actually felt bad about it and took a look at my driver as well (which I had just been fit for at Club Champion). Still paid the fitting fee, but even though I didn't get new sticks, I still feel like I got my money's worth. Lie adjusted, new grips, set to go. Wade knows what he's doing, Jack knows what he's doing, it's got the "local" shop kind of feel, and no one (edit...no one I know of) who has had a fitting/had clubwork done has had a bad experience there.

This is great stuff guys, very much appreciated! So let me ask you your opinion: Am I better off going to CC and getting fitted and then buying my clubs elsewhere, or going to GCC (or another option like GolfTec)? The lack of the newest technology (i.e. Trackman) at GCC has me a bit worried, but I'm sure the guy knows what he's doing.

I'm sure they're all good, but if you had to choose....

"Golfing requires goofy pants and a fat a$$; you should talk to my neighbor, the accountant...huge a$$."

This is great stuff guys, very much appreciated! So let me ask you your opinion: Am I better off going to CC and getting fitted and then buying my clubs elsewhere, or going to GCC (or another option like GolfTec)? The lack of the newest technology (i.e. Trackman) at GCC has me a bit worried, but I'm sure the guy knows what he's doing.

GCC.

GCC still has technology, it's just not projected onto a screen. Wade will film your swing and show you why he's recommending what he's recommending. They still have a launch monitor, and he uses that (on an ipad or laptop) to dial you in.

Has anyone started receiving Links Magazine?

I've got a couple issue now. It's pretty nice. It's mostly about courses and architecture. One of the featured stories this month is an "interview with a bunker".

They have an article "The Ten Best Bunkers in the World" and another "Ten Best Short Par 3's".

Which, btw, might make good GTW or GTT's if anyone was so inclined.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

GCC.

GCC still has technology, it's just not projected onto a screen. Wade will film your swing and show you why he's recommending what he's recommending. They still have a launch monitor, and he uses that (on an ipad or laptop) to dial you in.

i'm in the tank for budda at club champion, so i'd recommend him. no experience with wade, so not a knock on him at all.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Has anyone started receiving Links Magazine?

I've got a couple issue now. It's pretty nice. It's mostly about courses and architecture. One of the featured stories this month is an "interview with a bunker".

They have an article "The Ten Best Bunkers in the World" and another "Ten Best Short Par 3's".

Which, btw, might make good GTW or GTT's if anyone was so inclined.

Yeah I was wondering what the deal with that was. All of a sudden they started showing up but I never remembered signing up for them. Haven't seen anything of mine get charged for it yet so I am just rolling with it.

This month had an article on MD's Eastern Shore I think (or that could have been the last issue)

Callaway GBB Epic Flash 9*
Callaway GBB Epic Flash 15* 
Callaway Epic 2H Recoil Black 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue Pro Black 4-AW Recoil 110 F4
Callaway JAWS Full Face 54* Recoil 110 F4
Callaway PM Grind Black 60* KBS Tour V Stiff
MACHINE Damascus M4
BestGrips MicroPerf grips 

You did get a pic of the beard!!!!

https://lh3.googleus...r=w1066-h800-no

Yup, that's Chad Collins, I believe. I saw that guy walking up #9 as we were walking down #7, and I thought "I gotta get a picture of that beard. The WRX demands it!"

Not Chad Collins. Squirrel.

Jared Goslee. The big red beard. His brother was caddying for him. His beard is not nearly as impressive.

Golf Talk Tuesday : What tee shot, or approach shot gives you the most trouble at your home course?

8th at Westfields. I don't have a home course, so this will have to do.

Long par 4, relatively wide fairway, but I can't hit this green from anywhere, even sitting at 160-180 in the middle of the fairway. Skinny green, slightly angled to the right from the fairway, and it's also elevated a little. If the drive is right half of the fairway, there is a big tree that is about 50 yards short and right of the green that I've hit more times than I care to remember.

The few times I've made par on this hole I've done it getting up and down from short and/or left of the green.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach