2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

1993 2-1 as team

World Rank JMO #9, Seve #21. Team points rank JMO #12 Seve #28 Both were Captains Picks. Seve didn't play 4th match. JMO lost with another partner.

Beat Floyd #23/Couples #6. Went 1-1 with Love #12/ Kite #8 (Win was 4&3)

1991 3-0-1 as team

World Rank JMO #2, Seve #5. Team points rank: JMO #11 Seve #1

Beat Azinger #8/Beck #21 twice. Beat Couples #7/Floyd #39. Halved Stewart #6/Couples #7

1989 3-0-1 as team

World Rank JMO #9, Seve #2. Team points rank: JMO #3 Seve #7

Beat Watson #19/OMeara #22 (6&5!) Beat Kite #8/Strange #4 Beat Calc #5/Green #24 Halved Watson #19/Beck #10

1987 3-1 as team

World Rank JMO #43, Seve #2. Team points rank: JMO #11 Seve #4

Beat Nelson #28/Stewart #5, Beat Strange #4/Kite #17 Beat Crenshaw #11/Stewart #5, Lost to Sutton #21/Mize #15

And let's not act like being #1 in the world, or #5 even, gives you some sort of super powers. Or that being "the best ranked team in their matches" gives them the upper hand. They still had to go golf their ball. That's why they play the game, right. Other than Norman in 1995 and Faldo in 1992 nobody had a huge big insurmountable lead at #1 at the end of the year. They were bunched together. From its beginning in 1986 to 1997 when Tiger took over for the first time, there were 10 different players ranked #1. Tiger changed things, how we saw it and other golfers. He held it for 281 weeks straight! That's not total, that's one run. Seve held it 5 different times for 61 weeks total.

Edit: One last note, the duo only won 1 major in that span from 87-93; Seve's Open in '88.

Major winners they beat the year they won a major? In 87-Mize. 89-Strange. 91-halved Stewart.

Welcome to golf talk with nerf.

BhC06hQ.gif

GTT: It's gotta be Hobbits. Basically that was the only new course that I got a chance to play this year. But I enjoyed it. Felt familiar, the way I grew up playing golf, and similar to the tracks that I play most of my rounds now. Wish I could have played better, but enjoyed the layout.

everyone is out golfing nerf. it's 60°!!! hell, i just got back from the short game area at blue mash.

early report: non-cityfrozen ksigs are straight fire for hitting a low screaming checker. i have come full circle on this ball. i now love it! lol

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

GTT: I played a lot of new courses in the area this year. If I had to rank them by fun I would rank them

1. Waverly Woods

2. PB Dye

3. Clustered Spires

Clustered - Pretty short course where you can let it rip off of the tee and get it close to some greens or can choose to lay back off of the tee and still have a short iron in. You have a chance to make a lot of birdies and go low if you are hitting it well. And the greens were great each time that I played there.

PB Dye - People I have met have had mixed opinions on PB Dye, but I really enjoyed it the 2 times that I played there this year. It was in awesome shape both times. A bunch of fun holes there. I really like 6 & 7 on the front and 10 & 11 on the back.

Waverly Woods - Waverly just has a great mix of holes. It helps that a lot of the holes really fit my eye off of the tee. I would play a lot of my golf there if I didn't join Norbeck this year.

Side bar...anyone have the Adidas Climacool golf shoes? Look like running or trianers, but have golf-esque nubs. Curious. They are down to $40.

I had them and sent them back before ever wearing them on the course. They are super tight and would be awesome to wear without socks, but the heel part sticks way out and I can see sand/dirt/grass getting down in the shoe and being annoying.

I thought wearing with socks would look really weird. And that's a big deal to me.

$40 is pretty good though.

Welp, now I' completely undecided on them. I can't golf without socks, just doesn't work for me. But I could get socks to go with the shoes. Definitely a maybe.

Boo on the golf. It's soccer season! (We have a game Sunday in Annapolis. And 3 of the next 5 weekends after that.) I'm stuck in the office with my window open. Had to do the brakes on my car, so my golf funds are dry right now. Hopefully I can get another 170k out of that thing.

Most fun course this year: Tobacco Rd.

Most fun round of the year: first 9 of the PH trip after driving through s hellacious ice storm, passing 20 wrecked cars, and playing on the frozen dew greens. Awesome beginning to a trip. When it's definitely more about the camaraderie than the golf.

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

Golf in shorts in mid January...so fantastic.

Broke out the Swing Speed Radar to see how much the gym work and yoga and actually being healthy has been. I'm leaning towards its not really that accurate because I'm up 6-8 mph since last summer and the tempo is perfect. A couple guys that I respect in the Instruction forum have said in the past though that they think its pretty accurate so...who knows.

Freaking 68* in mid January...so great.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

FWIW I usually use a small Jobi tripod for most of my on course camera pics but thought I'd try out this monopod/stand thing that Rick Shiels recommended.

Pretty cool, perfect height for using on the range.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XN1P9QI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Nerf, I didn't mean to hit and run. I was golfing.

I don't know if those numbers indicate jmo and seve were "batting above their average." later years, they certainly seemed to. If you really feel like digging, what I'd like to see is two crap-turds who because of "team magic" play like seve and Jose.

And I'd really like to say this : just because it's hard to PROVE something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Two "better paired" players very well might be an asset. Its just hard to show.

I dislike "sports narratives" as a matter of principle. For instance, last week you heard a lot about the Steelers having a "revenge game" against the Fins. Great story. Everyone man's up, plays harder, get their sweet revenge. Well, if that kind of thing is so important, the chiefs should blow out the Steelers this week, right? But what was really true in the Steelers - Fins game? In the first game, the Steelers were missing 6 starters and in the second game, the fins were. And the Steelers were at home. And it was cold. But those are crappy stories. Revenge. Great story. Injuries. Bad story.

But, really, I want to stop being contentious for a couple weeks.

Those two days wore me out.

Here's something of interest to both of us.... New Belgium is redoing their line-up. No more Ranger and no more session ipa (easy rider?). Now, they have voodoo Ranger and voodoo session and they're good. That old Ranger almost tasted like weed to me. I liked it, but the Rep told me that it was 6 years old and time for a change. He described the old Ranger as Dank. True dat.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Fat tire. Sooooo good. In my small rotation of beers along with the loose cannon I'm having while grilling

Picking justin Thomas in my one and done was good through one day!

I dislike positive sports narratives. But negative ones are often true. I believe "they quit on that coach". Sort of like my opinion on Ryder cup captains. It's not about avoiding mistakes then being really good at magical pairings

Was able to get out and play/practice 9 today. Hit driver on every hole possible. The first three holes were rough but after that I figured out to just get my foot line more to the right and swing down my foot line and the tight draw was back. My touch was absolutely terrible on the greens. I definitely need to spend some time practicing with theboutter. My pitches with the wedge were good. Hope more of y'all were able to enjoy the weather today! It was 74 down here.

Got 12 holes in today with city. Less than I would have liked, but it's hard to complain about golf in the mid 60s in January.

For those not following along on instagram... follow along on instagram.

I gave city my phone to take a swing picture, and I ended up with this, along with a couple more of just him in the shot.

9sjpPve.jpg

Hahahahahahahahahaaaaha!!!!

Reminds me of the shenanigans that would transpire when I would get ahold of those disposable table cameras I would abuse at weddings. Favorite was when I only took pictures of people's butts, along with a napkin that read "Guess That A55."

Yes, I would ask to take the pic.

Yes, people started "posing" their butts.

Yes, copious amounts of alcohol was involved.

Never heard from that couple ever again. Guess they weren't fans, lol.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Justin Thomas shoots 59 at Sony youngest ever to do it.

Just caught the highlights. So awesome. Just incredible how many shots he hit close to the hole.

Check out his setup with his irons. Pretty much exactly what I'm shooting for. Arms hanging almost straight down.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

FWIW I usually use a small Jobi tripod for most of my on course camera pics but thought I'd try out this monopod/stand thing that Rick Shiels recommended.

Pretty cool, perfect height for using on the range.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XN1P9QI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That looks solid. Shudder to think how bad my goat-humping has gotten since the last round a couple weeks ago. Shudder. Good thing I'm avoiding video like the plague.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

The course setup at the course they're playing this week always suprised me. I know the tour would never go to a Par 69 or 68 but they already have a couple of really short Par 4s, then the 8th hole I think yesterday was playing 470 - par 4. And the nine was 485 - but a par 5. If you drove it in fairway on 9 it was running another 40-50 yards. I think Pat Perez had a 9 iron in.

That looks solid. Shudder to think how bad my goat-humping has gotten since the last round a couple weeks ago. Shudder. Good thing I'm avoiding video like the plague.

I decided to try and do a couple online check-ins with my instructor this year especially before tournament season gets ramped up. One of the things I've worked on the last few months was almost what Justin Thomas does in terms of posting/driving up more on the left leg especially off the tee. It lets me stand a lot closer to the ball than I had been without humping my way through the downswing.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

BTW Chief I wore the FJ Pro SLs last night - super comfortable. Not one slip out like I'd been getting with the LCVs. Really looking forward to breaking them in a little bit more, hopefully next week if the weather clears up.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Kind of a cool video from last fall of Justin Thomas getting his Scotty fixed up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjHVnq1AaJc

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I wonder how many holes fabb and city would have finished at turf?

18, no doubt. It was predictably packed yesterday.

We got paired up with an old guy, and his Korean (we think) buddy, who are regulars. Apparently the staff there is actually nice to some people. Old guy was carrying driver, 3-P, some wedges, and a putter. Not a single fairway wood or hybrid in his bag, for a guy that probably shouldn't be carrying any iron longer than 6-iron. His buddy was rocking some JDM driver, onoff irons, and a minty fresh Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport 2. We were on respectable pace early, but really started pumping the brakes late on the front 9, so they left at the turn.

It was nice to get out and swing for the first time since the day after xmas. I was hitting my irons pretty nicely. I had a few pushes when I had to club way up and hit a knockdown due to carrying 7 clubs, but lots of really nice shots otherwise. Thankfully it was going straight, but I couldn't find contact anywhere near the sweet spot with the driver yesterday. I was legitimately almost missing the club face, hitting it so far on the bottom heel of the club. I didn't hit one drive with decent contact. Like I said though, they were straight, so I can't complain. Just glad to get out and keep the game from getting too rusty.

City stunk the joint up the first two holes, but settled in for the most part after that. He was getting some nice pop on his drives. Real good ones on 4, 6, 7, 9 (drifted a bit in the wind, but was very solid), and 12. Some issues getting the swing bottom forward enough with the irons, but that's golf when you're working on swing stuff. His selfie game was certainly on point. He's always enjoyable to play with.

Abb and I tee off from back on hole 1 and the old guy who has joined us walks up to the front edge of the back tee box. . .no where near the black tees, or the blue tees which are on the same box, or the white tees which are 30 yards ahead. . .and just drops a ball, 827-style, and proceeds to line-drive a 3-iron just to the front edge of the fairway.

9 was playing dead-Word not allowed into the wind and the tees were WAY back. It was probably playing 460 on the card, and 5 bills in reality. Abb hit driver 4-iron and was 40 (?) yards short of the green. Now the point : I hit driver-driver (from a tight mudder in the rough) and was 30 yards short of the green, then hit the flagstick on my chip and made the 5 footer coming back. DoubleDriver Par, bruv.

Abb didn't hit one good drive yesterday. He missed it on 1 and had 160 in from the middle of the fairway. Missed it on 2 and was able to lay up to 100 from a yard into the right rough. Missed it on 3 and had a 6 iron in from the fairway. Missed it on 4 and had an 8 iron in from a clean look in the left rough. Missed it on 7 and was sitting right up top in the fairway where I would bang 10/10. Missed it on 9 to the middle of the fairway. Missed it on 10 and had a look in from the right. Missed it on 12 and had a wedge in from the middle of the fairway.

He actually did miss one on 6 and the guy says, "nice direction". Abb was completely blocked from the right rough. It was neither good direction nor good distance.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

The course setup at the course they're playing this week always suprised me. I know the tour would never go to a Par 69 or 68 but they already have a couple of really short Par 4s, then the 8th hole I think yesterday was playing 470 - par 4. And the nine was 485 - but a par 5. If you drove it in fairway on 9 it was running another 40-50 yards. I think Pat Perez had a 9 iron in.

Careful about what you're implying here.

In totally unrelated news. . .CHiPs trailer is out. I love the leads. . .Dax Sheppard and Michael Pena. Totally ridiculous story from childhood. . .I had a baby sitter back then who totally had a thing for Erik Estrada. She used to write down everything Erik Estrada said in the whole episode in shorthand.

Do you kids today even know what shorthand is? Don't worry. It's not important. For all I know, she could have been the last person on earth who took a shorthand class in High School. They didn't have it when I got there.

shorthand.jpg

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green