2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

Justin Thomas shoots 59 at Sony youngest ever to do it.

Who gives a f*ck. What was his differential?

Lmao I don't know ask City.

Hey, I wasn't saying sh1t about it.

DC is the one calling him out on it.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Did I say anything about Justin Thomas or his 59? I said the course setup - specifically the 8th/9th - has *always* surprised me.

Your veryCitylikenonsensical interpretation of my post said to be careful what I was implying when I wasn't implying anything.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Nerf, I didn't mean to hit and run. I was golfing.

I don't know if those numbers indicate jmo and seve were "batting above their average." later years, they certainly seemed to. If you really feel like digging, what I'd like to see is two crap-turds who because of "team magic" play like seve and Jose.

And I'd really like to say this : just because it's hard to PROVE something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Two "better paired" players very well might be an asset. Its just hard to show.

I dislike "sports narratives" as a matter of principle. For instance, last week you heard a lot about the Steelers having a "revenge game" against the Fins. Great story. Everyone man's up, plays harder, get their sweet revenge. Well, if that kind of thing is so important, the chiefs should blow out the Steelers this week, right? But what was really true in the Steelers - Fins game? In the first game, the Steelers were missing 6 starters and in the second game, the fins were. And the Steelers were at home. And it was cold. But those are crappy stories. Revenge. Great story. Injuries. Bad story.

But, really, I want to stop being contentious for a couple weeks.

Those two days wore me out.

Here's something of interest to both of us.... New Belgium is redoing their line-up. No more Ranger and no more session ipa (easy rider?). Now, they have voodoo Ranger and voodoo session and they're good. That old Ranger almost tasted like weed to me. I liked it, but the Rep told me that it was 6 years old and time for a change. He described the old Ranger as Dank. True dat.

All good City. I was frustrated by sitting inside yesterday. Have a few projects and grant applications I need to get out the door. Boring. I much more enjoy being out and seeing the progress of new things being constructed. Makes me at least feel like I'm making something happen. Especially when they are my designs, and are green and envrio-friendly.

The issue with the showing a couple of turds paired together is its the Ryder Cup. There aren't any turds playing. Even with a few "others" out there (see Norman) creeping into the top 10 or 20, almost every player in the Ryder from both sides is in the top 25 in the world. But I do enjoy numbers, and don't mind throwing them out there for the class.

As to the sports narratives, the one I dislike is the college one. State hasn't beat U in 7 years. So what? There were ZERO kids on either team when that happened 7 years ago. And there's a good shot that neither coach was there at that time either. Example, VT beat Syracuse for the first time since 1977. Not one of the kids that played in that game was even born when the 1977 game was played. Heck, half the assistant coaches weren't alive in 1977. So what does that mean for anything? There is no carry over. There is no continuity. There is no affect from that game to this one. (I will regurgitate these stats from time to time for conversation, but they mean nothing in reality.)

-----

I'm gald you mention that about Ranger. I felt the same way, but couldn't really figure it out per se. I wasn't a fan. And some of the non-SoCal brewers that claim they are making West Coast IPA's end up with similar results. Not crazy about them. Will try the new Vodoo versions, but for now, I'm going to ride my RAR Nectar. In fact, I have 2.5 growlers that will most likely get filled with Nectar this afternoon. Long weekend with the wife out of town.

Did I say anything about Justin Thomas or his 59? I said the course setup - specifically the 8th/9th - has *always* surprised me.

Your veryCitylikenonsensical interpretation of my post said to be careful what I was implying when I wasn't implying anything.

Well, it sounded like you're saying, "that's a pretty easy set up".

Maybe you're not saying "oh, this 59 is easier than Gieberger's 59" but I'll say it. . .this 59 is easier than Geiberger's 59.

It's a 59 on a course that could be a par 68 or 69.

If someone wants to say that's the same thing as a 59 on par 72 or par 71, then they're basically saying that "11 under par is just as good as 13 under par".

It isn't. That's nonsense, but we do it every time something throws up a 59.

Why?

Because 59 is a good story. It has a '5' as the first digit. Oooooooh, look a '5'.

Ask people a question : would you rather shoot 59 on a par 70, or 60 on a par 72? I bet you get a different answer than if you asked people, "Would you rather make 11 birdies and 7 pars or 12 birdies and 6 pars?"

That's not even a question unless we ascribe mystical powers to rolling over the odometer.

Everyone on the 59 list who did it on a par 71 should be on the same list as people who shot 60 on a par 72 (yes, I am aware that it's easier to make birdies on courses with more par 5's, so that's a mitigating factor. But, just a factor.)

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I was not implying anything in my initial statement - I simply have always found the yardages of 8 and 9 really bizarre.

And I 100% absolutey agree with everything you wrote.

And yes this is in 100% complete contrast to my statement of one day ago where I want to just enjoy the good round of a friend without worrying about comparing one to another. I loved watching JT play the final hole and it was really cool seeing how pumped Speith was for him.

But you just cannot think that a 59 on a course like this is the same as say Duvals 59. They are nothing alike.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

The only 59 that matters is Duval's. Final round. Closing with an eagle. For the win. Fahgettaboudit.

But that's not the best round ever on tour. I submit Ken Duke...65 at last year's Players at TPC Stadium.

"That 10.59 strokes between Duke’s score and the field average for the day is the biggest such differential in tournament history."

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/why-ken-dukes-saturday-65-may-be-the-greatest-round-in-players-history

Yes, Nerf. That's actually a great metric for measuring how "good" a round was. And, that list is out there, too, somewhere. It just doesn't get the attention the sexy 5-9 does.

People know it for tournaments, though, which is nice. Like they know when Tiger won by 15 or Rory won by 14 or whatever.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

So I played hookie yesterday afternoon. I called Falls Road, but it sounded really busy there, so I headed over to Needwood. I got there around 1, and the guy in the pro shop said, well, I can't give you a tee time until after 2. But the starter put me with a twosome that was on the tee, and it was all good. Much easier to get squeezed in as a single at Needwood than Falls Road.

I'm pretty pleased with the way I played, especially considering I haven't touched a club in a month. I made it through 15 holes before I had to go. Some good holes, some not so good (lost balls, stubbed chips). Two birdies, sinking a long (25 ft) putt and chipping in on #15 after going over the green.

Had a really good 3 wood to hit the green on #4. The ball just seemed to hang in the air, not wanting to come down, and because it was so wet out there, it stuck 6 inches from the ball mark. I'm starting to really like the M2 3HL, although it does sound funny, but I have no trouble getting the ball in the air.

Also I played Ksigs for the first time. I took a sleeve out and played 12 holes or so before the sleeve was gone. Good ball. Pretty similar to any other pro ball. But I'm not a real cork-sniffer when it comes to golf balls. They did still have the funny, new car smell even though I got them over a month ago.

I think I'm going to leave the office early and get in a quick 9 today too.

59 doesn't really seem all that impressive without any context. Can someone tell me what kind of net differential that amounts to?

Does the differential even matter? Bethpage Black is 76.6/144 and Whistling Straights is 76.7/151, but I would be much happier with a 59 at Bethpage since Whistling Straights' layout fits my game better.

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

59 doesn't really seem all that impressive without any context. Can someone tell me what kind of net differential that amounts to?

I just saw MTN already made that joke an hour earlier. I've brought shame to the thread.

bunk-the-wire.gif

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I was on the city/fabb train wrt differentials but arbitrary scoring barriers do matter. If I shoot 3 over 74 at my home course it's a "better" round than the 69 I shot on a par 70. One is under par and one is not. That does matter

I HAD a goal of shooting a negative differential until I did it. But, I still have a goal to shoot par whether it's a good differential, or a "meh" differential.

Since we're still talking about differentials, you guys think the stuff the other day was confusing. . .you know that in either England or Australia (or both), they have something called "Daily Scratch Rating". . .there's not just a differential as we know it, but a differential based on how tough the course played that day based on the scores turned in cross referenced against the golfers that made those scores. I love that.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

citygamedisdaining.png

I told Fabb I was trying to convey a sense of "get a load of this guy."

He was like, "well, you did it."

Streepian performance.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

btw, both of those are square images so feel free to instaG. sully steals my likes on the thread. you can steal mine on the 'gram. as long as i'm making people happy.

585701.gif?b64lines=

OOOOO, LOOK AT ME!

I'M MAKING PEOPLE HAPPY!

I'M THE MAGICAL MAN FROM HAPPYLAND

IN A GUMDROP HOUSE ON LOLLIPOP LANE!!!

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I HAD a goal of shooting a negative differential until I did it. But, I still have a goal to shoot par whether it's a good differential, or a "meh" differential.

I have a goal of shooting an under par round at MV. Its a par 70, @ 6500 now from the tips and I think the new ratings are going to come in @ 71/135

Was talking about it last year and had an unnamed threadizen wonder "But if you broke par wouldnt you be disappointed it wasnt on a Par 72 though..."

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I have a goal of shooting an under par round at MV. Its a par 70, @ 6500 now from the tips and I think the new ratings are going to come in @ 71/135

Was talking about it last year and had an unnamed threadizen wonder "But if you broke par wouldnt you be disappointed it wasnt on a Par 72 though..."

If you're referring to me, you're going to have to find that quote.

It's QUITE possible I said something like, "if you break 72, wouldn't you rather it be on a course with a 72 rating?" But, what you wrote doesn't sound right at all.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

isn't tex playing today. beaut of a day for winter golf. i hope he's properly implementing those 12 things his instructor gave him to work on.

i think bangass is playing too, but let's be honest: no one care about bangass.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

[it's QUITE possible I said something like, "if you break 72, wouldn't you rather it be on a course with a 72 rating?" But, what you wrote doesn't sound right at all.

Wasnt you. The implied question was would you be as happy shooting an under par round if it was a Par 70 and not Par 72.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*