2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

What's the issue with Furyk as captain? He is an analytical guy which helps prevent simple strategy mistakes in pairing people, etc. He brings continuity from this years team which is something all the Euro captains have said helps them. He still plays the PGA tournsonhe actually knows and has relationships with the players. Is the objection his poor record in play? I'm not sure that has anything to do with being a captain?

Had the day off. Play golf or help out a friend?

30bf15ec9a537a77dd7d8710141f5b3b.jpg

f6ce1232dfe6fcc6022d2544297e9f30.jpg

Was a completely blank slate before this. Also helped him with a sink, throne, and shower in a bathroom.

My kitchen is going to look a little like that in about 5 days. You're welcome to come help the contractor.

We re-did the whole kitchen about 15 years ago. We put in a linoleum floor that LOOKED GOOD IN THE BROCHURE. We've basically hated it from day one and finally decided to do something about it. we're getting these ceramic tiles. Our guy is an all around'er. Funny guy. He used to install audio systems in schools so he's really good with electronic stuff, but also was a jack-of-all-trades on the job. He's just a real "detail oriented" guy who isn't going to cut corners or leave something looking sloppy. He quit working when his mother died and left him a hundred grand. Now he just works on people's houses. He's done work on ours. I have no idea if he's licensed to do anything, but he can do everything. The only concern we have is if the tile is higher than the current floor, the dishwasher might not slide back in.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I have no problem with Furyk at all. I don't know what the other players think of him, but I don't see why he'd be any better/worse than DL3.

I don't think there's much of any analytic need for a Ryder Cup captain really, except what you mentioned: avoiding simple strategy mistakes. You get the 12 "best" golfers, of which you only get to pick a small handful. You pick pairings and order but not who they actually play. Your guys either play to and above their ability or they don't. Once the team is set, it's 95% mojo, 5% analysis.

Ryder Captain Talk. Spare me.

My dog could poop on a grid of player's names to do the pairings and it would make as much a difference as if Albert Einstein put the pairings together.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Golf Talk Thursday : What is the most fun golf course you played in 2016?

Pick one or all of the Pinehurst courses we played.

Maybe the first 9 we played when the course was ice.. Longleaf?

Or the rest of the lineup. (MP, PN, TR x2, Talamore, and Dormie)

All equally fun...

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

GTT: Caves Valley. Way more my speed than Congo or RTJ. Excellent layout. Beautiful land.

More importantly great snack stations around the course and while walking in between nines you stop for an ice cold Caves Gold Lager on tap. Delicious.

Would enthusiastically bang again.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

GTT: Most fun is just Bethpage Black for me. I just love everything about that place including the horrible bathroom situation.

Actually Tobacco Road wasn't as fun for me as I was hoping on my return trip, but that was because I was driving the ball SO POORLY that day. But, I get it.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

GTT : There are a handful of courses I liked better, but Tobacco Road was the most fun for me. I wasn't playing great or anything, either. It's just so different. Some of those slopes on and around the greens make for a lot of excitement. We had at least a handful of near hole-outs that day.

Definitely on the list for 2017.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Furyk. The Captain needs to be a leader, and someone the players will fight for. Furyk does not instill that "Oh Captain my captain" response. True, it's mostly about writing down a few names on a piece of paper, but look at the NBA. Do guys just simply get promoted to coach and succeed? No. You have to lead and have those other men go to battle for you. Right now its set up so if we win the response will be that we had a better team. If we lose, it will be because we didn't have a leader. Solution? Put a leader in there that will ensure the desired result!

Actually every player quote I've read so far talks about how much the players love him and how much he's already a captain inside the locker room.

Plus - I'd rather have him be a captain than a player lol.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Actually every player quote I've read so far talks about how much the players love him and how much he's already a captain inside the locker room.

And that's why I'm not on the selection committee. That's great news, and I hope he leads up to another awesome Rickie photo!

USA is taking from the Eur model and keeping the continuity.

Eur has had captains who as players were not all that great but we're deeply into the Ryder cup.

The players love Furyk and his wife and I think it keeps the mojo going.

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

Well the flip side is that players arent exactly going to speak out against him right? So I guess you could say that the only quotes you are going to hear are positive. But the guys genuinely seem to like him.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Furyk. The Captain needs to be a leader, and someone the players will fight for. Furyk does not instill that "Oh Captain my captain" response. True, it's mostly about writing down a few names on a piece of paper, but look at the NBA. Do guys just simply get promoted to coach and succeed? No. You have to lead and have those other men go to battle for you. Right now its set up so if we win the response will be that we had a better team. If we lose, it will be because we didn't have a leader. Solution? Put a leader in there that will ensure the desired result!

See, I just fundamentally disagree with this.

A basketball coach has to draw up plays (set and motion), figure out rest schedules, stop the action when he sees something going wrong, adjust to what the other team is doing, make substitutions for offense and defense, figure out who plays better together IN A MEANINGFUL WAY -- as in one guy's style of play directly affects another guy's play. Not in some imaginary, "they're friends so they swing better" way, but a real fundamental they know how each other moves and where they're going to be, etc etc.

The analogy would be more valid if the basketball coach's job was to look at his 12 players and pick 5 of them to go play for 48 minutes.

I just don't buy the "want to fight for" a captain angle. It's golf. Sometimes you play well. Sometimes you don't.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Wimpy soulless ginger...

:p

Calling somebody a soulless ginger is redundant. We all know gingers have no soul.

I think 827 is the only person on this thread that is actually paler than me. It's kind of like the pot calling the kettle black, except the exact opposite. Maybe like the porcelain dinner plate calling the porcelain bowl white.

I doubt that freckles and other skin marks count for pigmentation.

And a new thread tournament is born...

June 21, 2017 - Summer Solstice Showdown.

Tee off at 7:00 am. No sunscreen allowed. No hats allowed. Shorts and short sleeve golf shirts required. Everyone keeps playing until either Sully or 827 spontaneously combust. If Sully blows up first, shorts get an extra point in the sevens. If 827 combusts, the talls get the point.

Careful, words have meaning.............................

See, I just fundamentally disagree with this.

A basketball coach has to draw up plays (set and motion), figure out rest schedules, stop the action when he sees something going wrong, adjust to what the other team is doing, make substitutions for offense and defense, figure out who plays better together IN A MEANINGFUL WAY -- as in one guy's style of play directly affects another guy's play. Not in some imaginary, "they're friends so they swing better" way, but a real fundamental they know how each other moves and where they're going to be, etc etc.

The analogy would be more valid if the basketball coach's job was to look at his 12 players and pick 5 of them to go play for 48 minutes.

I just don't buy the "want to fight for" a captain angle. It's golf. Sometimes you play well. Sometimes you don't.

I don't think it's that far off...

When they are playing alternate shot or 4-ball, you have to play as a team. You can't pair the shortest with the longest. They've never played from that distance before, so why saddle them with that during the Ryder Cup?

The Captain can talk to them during the round, just like an NBA coach. And he can sub guys out on Friday and Saturday for morning and afternoon. He can tell the pair to be conservative on a short par 4 or par 5. Or he can tell them to go Fabb/City to the wall for broke and be aggressive. The ones that just sit and watch will fail. The ones that over micro-manage will fail (ask Figjam about Watson...) It has to be a balance.

Granted there isn't another sport out there that is similar to golf. But my point was you can't just take a good/great <insert sport> player, put him on the bench, and assume he's going to be a great coach winning championships. See Kurt Rambis/Isiah Thomas... There has to be some leadership and intangible inside.

And if the bolded were true, why even have a captain, or their picks, or have headlines and books written about how they handled things? Why not just have 24 guys show up and play an exhibition somewhere for $1000 a hole? Oh, because it's not just some run-of-the-mill golf tournament. Or even a yearly occurence. It's the freaking Ryder Cup. It is what people aspire to be a part of. Go see. Play in. Win. Write books about. Live and breathe. And for that reason, the Captain does matter.

Had the day off. Play golf or help out a friend?

30bf15ec9a537a77dd7d8710141f5b3b.jpg

f6ce1232dfe6fcc6022d2544297e9f30.jpg

Was a completely blank slate before this. Also helped him with a sink, throne, and shower in a bathroom.

Looks like you two did a great job. Currently looking for a second home now and some rental properties. I love home improvement, but some of these are much larger than anything I've ever done. I could save a fortune doing some or all of it myself if I would just sack up and try.

Anyone else playing today? The courses down here are all so soaked I'm not sure it'd be enjoyable. I'm hoping to get out to the range though.

And if the bolded were true, why even have a captain, or their picks, or have headlines and books written about how they handled things?

Because we have a media industry.

I absolutely believe -- this is not just for the sake of argument -- you could take the top 10 (12? Whatever) OWGR USA players, pair them ANY WAY YOU WANT. . .randomly, alphabetically, by ranking. . .give them the rules, and it wouldn't make a lick of difference in the outcome. No captain whatsoever.

We'll never have evidence to dispute or affirm that, so we'd just be arguing opinions, but there's essentially nothing anyone could say that would make me change my opinion on that.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

City...

Tell us how you feel about Differentials to score?

Completely agree with City... the captain just had to be someone the guys like not a get off my yard Tom Watson --- nothing but respect but that was a debacle.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

You can't pair the shortest with the longest. They've never played from that distance before, so why saddle them with that during the Ryder Cup?

I know the Ryder Cup isn't quite as prestigious and important as the Capitol Cup, but bear with the analogy.

I've paired ole' Kent "scores the same from all tees" 01Putt with Goose "long ball" hook together with great success the past couple of years.

#FABBRyderCupCaptain2032

Preferred drive alt shot? That makes perfect sense. Kent stripes it and Goose has a huge green light. That's a dangerous (good) combo in that format. And there is a choice for second shot. I'm talking Funk/DJ. They would HAVE to play whatever tee ball is given them. DJ from an extra 80 yards back from usual. Funk from 80 yards closer. Ask yourself, do you score just lights out in a scramble when you are closer than you usually are because everyone is swinging away? Most of the time you are disappointed. Imagine that feeling in the Ryder Cup. It spells defeat.

And that's why I'm not on the selection committee. That's great news, and I hope he leads up to another awesome Rickie photo!

well, that's ONE of the reasons why you're not on the selection committee. :)

i, like sneek, like the continuity from vice to captain. i don't like the captain to vice however. need to groom the next guy. DL3 got his redemption from his debacle of a lineup at mediah, time to put him out to pasture.

shortlist of future RC captains:

duval (100% lock)

stricker (doesn't have the major pedigree)

phil (within the next 8 years for sure)

azinger (they'll never bring him back tho)

freddie (seems to be blackballed for some reason)

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

City...

Tell us how you feel about Differentials to score?

Completely agree with City... the captain just had to be someone the guys like not a get off my yard Tom Watson --- nothing but respect but that was a debacle.

And, if the morning groups went out that day and sank some putts like the Euro's did, no one would have been fighting in the locker room that night and everyone would have talked about how they all pulled together for Old Tom.

@Nerf, I don't think any golfer who plays in the Ryder Cup is daunted by playing from a distance he isn't used to. Pair ZJ with DJ and they're both hitting shots they've played a thousand times. I just don't buy it.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green