2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

there's no way I would want one of them reading anything.

well, that's the point. they're instructed not to, so you wouldn't have to *repeatedly* call them off trying to read your putts until you finally blew up at them for screwing you thru 13 holes of a bucket list course. makes for a good story tho.

i think getting an occasional caddy for a local course is cool, in spite of the known limitations going in. would it be an every round thing? nope. as a special occasion? sure. certainly would help with my pace of play, amirite? :D

I think I'd rather play 18 holes drinking nothing but GolferAids.

c12.gif

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

So, anyone else excited for the 'It' release? We got a babysitter to go see it tomorrow. Highlife, bois. New Kingsman looking rad too.

I'm excited to see 'It' and almost went tonight. Long story short, decided to see Wind River tomorrow...excited about it. Love me some Jeremy Renner.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

Get your DVRs ready, superfriends. Fox Sports 1 is broadcasting 6 hours of Walker Cup action both days this weekend.

Paul McBride! Will Zalatoris! Scott Gregory! Norman Xiong! Don't miss it!

The US Am turned out to be pretty awesome, ya dingus. Plus, it's a nice sneak peak at Los Angeles Country Club prior to hosting the 2023 US Open.

Get your DVRs ready, superfriends. Fox Sports 1 is broadcasting 6 hours of Walker Cup action both days this weekend.

The US Am turned out to be pretty awesome, ya dingus. Plus, it's a nice sneak peak at Los Angeles Country Club prior to hosting the 2023 US Open.

DAVID BOOTE! COLIN MORIKAWA! JACK SINGH BRAR! BRADEN THORNBERRY!!!!!

DAVID BOOTE! COLIN MORIKAWA! JACK SINGH BRAR! BRADEN THORNBERRY!!!!!

giphy.gif

Also in new business, Pinehurst's new pitch and putt costs $50 to play.

I had a lot of haterade for lunch

$50 for this.

TheCradle-scorecard.jpg.jpg

Granted $50 seems cheap relative to how expensive the resort is in general, but it's pretty tough to get jazzed up about paying $50 for a 9-hole pitch and putt.

Yeah, that's. Lot of money for that, but like you said, it's all relative at PH.

Titleist 917D2 (8.5), OG Whiteboard 73
Callaway Steelhead Fd (15), Diamana D+ 80
Titleist 816H1 (19), Diamana D+ 90
Titleist 712 MB 4-PW, TTDG X100
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, TTDG S300
Cameron Newport, 34"

i am excited for walker cup this weekend. On college football saturdays I program the remote to flip through the games available. Walker cup will 100% be in that lineup

And yes my partner and I won gross at hillendale today. We shot 69. Will post about that later. My score posts as 79. With it being a four ball that's not actually shooting 79.

I still might play it. TBD. 10/10 going to bang the putting course, though. That thing looks sweet, and costs $0.

I loved the short course idea but man the combo of the cost and yardage is absurd.

If it was a course like the Bandon Preserve - where most holes can be played well over 100 yards, 10/10 would bang for $50.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

One note that cannot wait:

11 is a nice par 3. 185 yards. I hit the ball off the TOP of the flagstick. It came down so perfectly on the top that it bounced UP. Of course it's a truly horrific break because instead of having a close birdie putt it went over the back. I've never seen that in person or even on TV.

Anyone need a 2nd, 3rd or 4th this weekend? I'm trying to find a round.

Norbeck at 9am tomorrow. Let me know if you want it. Me, Domes, and Sneak.

Cameron Newport, 34"

Anyone need a 2nd, 3rd or 4th this weekend? I'm trying to find a round.

Norbeck at 9am tomorrow. Let me know if you want it. Me, Domes, and Sneak.

I want it.

You're in. Aee you there.

Cameron Newport, 34"

Maybe an inopportune time for a round recap, but I just shot a record 9 holes, so recap here we go.

Head over to Falls Road after work to hit the range and get some cuts in, really working on that P3 (actually, I've been focusing more on just keeping my arms connected to my body. And on the course I've been making a conscious effort to not think a single swing mechanic thought. Instead, I've been trying to just pick a target, visualize it until it's the only thought in my head, and swing). Hitting the ball ok..short and mid irons are generally solid, driver is not great but serviceable. I finish the bucket, don't see any real traffic on the course, so I head out to try and get the front 9 in.

1: 310 easy par 4. Hit a 6 iron solidly, but a little pully, off the tee and wind up like 0.5 inches into the left rough. Have about 90 yards in, 56* to 10 feet, easy 2 putter.

2: 470 par 5. Hit the driver not very solidly, but very straight. Which is sort of the theme for the day when I pulled driver. Didn't hit it anywhere near the center, but they always found the fairway. Ball winds up around 225 out or so on a funky lie with the ball above my feet. Hit an easy 7i a little pully, probably because of the lie, to 76 yards left side of the fairway, back right pin placement. 56* probably 80 yards, so it takes one hop on the green and stops in the fringe. Overcook the putt a little and wind up maybe 4 feet by the hole, uphill relatively straight putt. Sink it.

3: 122 par 3. Hit a little PW (a bit thin), and it's tracking straight at the hole. It lands, and I'm like 50/50 that I'm getting a hole in one. Slides just past the hole and winds up 1 or 2 feet or so long. Sink the putt coming back for bird.

4: 536 par 5. Toey tee shot to the left side of the fairway, maybe 225-235ish out. Hit a hybrid, but pulled it into the rough short left, maybe 60 yards to the pin. Pitch up to 20 feet, easy 2 putt.

5: Uphill 153 par 3. Had some bad juju in my head standing over the ball, and I knew I should have backed away, but I decided to rush through it anyway. Top/skull into the rough maybe 80 yards out. Chip a 56* to 20 feet or so, and miss the par putt by an inch or two. Tap in for bogey.

6: 418 par 4. Another toey drive but splits the fairway center right, left with 130ish to a front pin with the ball below my feet. Thin it a bit and wind up on the back tier of the green with a 35ish footer coming downhill. Thought I hit it pretty well, but it zooms like 8-10 feet past the hole. Hit the second putt with some gusto, dead center. Par.

7: 323 downhill par 4. Took a hybrid off the tee and just put an absolutely trash swing on it. I looked like a bad version of Bangass probably. Wind up 150 out with a tree partially in the way. Hit a punchy 8i that runs up onto the green and finishes in the left fringe to a center pin placement. 25 footer that I pick the wrong line on and wind up 4 feet on the right, below the hole. Sink the par putt.

8: 351 uphill par 4. Another poor tee shot that leaves me on the center right of the fairway, 120 in to a back pin. Flushed an easy PW to the back left, and two putt it.

9: Par 3 playing 110 or so. I know I'm at even par, and I think I have a pretty good chance here to finish at even or even -1. Tried more to focus on the -1 than even, because go big or go home. Took out the 52, standing over it, but I have some bad juju in my head. Learned my lesson from before, so I step back and collect myself. Hit my 52* pin high but maybe 25 feet left, a little pully. Slightly downhill, then uphill breaking right. I'm lining up birdie putt, standing over the ball, when my phone goes off. The girlfriend calling to chat. Tell her now is no time to talk, I have some serious stuff going on. Hang up, hit the putt, but wind up short right maybe 5 feet left in it. Think that I've sunk basically every putt from this distance today, so I stand over it, and hit it center. Par.

Even par through 9, which I'm pretty cool with.

Wasn't hitting the driver great, but everything was playable and it made a massive difference. Putter was solid too.

Edit: GTDTF: Even par through 18 would be cool I guess

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

Siegel, you need to step it back to the tips bruh. Only ~6100 from back there. Short course. Threw me for a loop when you said the 3rd hole was 122, since it plays about 160-170. That 4th hole is a pretty solid 3 shot par 5 from any tees, since there's a big tree blocking the approach in 2. And then the 5th and 6th holes play pretty tough. The 5th plays 160-170 uphill to a blind green, with some pin positions that you absolutely can't hold because of the length/elevation. The 6th is one of the legitimately moderate length 4s that had some good bunker coverage on the approach.

I really like Falls Road as a replayable course. It's not going to knock your socks off, and I'm sure some of the folks here would get frustrated playing from 6100 yards all the time. But it's a good mix of holes. The main problem is that it's jam packed because of the location. I haven't played it during the golf season in a few years now. But in the middle of the winter, I'll get out there and play a lot.

Siegel, you need to step it back to the tips bruh. Only ~6100 from back there. Short course. Threw me for a loop when you said the 3rd hole was 122, since it plays about 160-170. That 4th hole is a pretty solid 3 shot par 5 from any tees, since there's a big tree blocking the approach in 2. And then the 5th and 6th holes play pretty tough. The 5th plays 160-170 uphill to a blind green, with some pin positions that you absolutely can't hold because of the length/elevation. The 6th is one of the legitimately moderate length 4s that had some good bunker coverage on the approach.

I really like Falls Road as a replayable course. It's not going to knock your socks off, and I'm sure some of the folks here would get frustrated playing from 6100 yards all the time. But it's a good mix of holes. The main problem is that it's jam packed because of the location. I haven't played it during the golf season in a few years now. But in the middle of the winter, I'll get out there and play a lot.

Front pin on the 3rd, but I get your point. I used to play Falls Road somewhat frequently when I was at AU since we could play for $15 or so, and I would go back and forth between blues and blacks depending on how I felt that day.

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

hillendale report. hillendale is awesome! most of the course architecture discussions are over my head but three key observations:

1) The course geographically/topographically is "on top". basically everywhere on the course is above all the areas that surround the course. combine that with the hills and it's just a beautiful peaceful place.

2) The uphill approaches are relentless and require adjustment. at the start i am struggling. on 5 i hit a real nice shot but i'm thinking a bit short of the pin. not just short of the pin. short of the green. get to 6 and i haven't actually hit a green yet (!). (one thing i did well was stay patient) Have a 120 shot. Slightly uphill. Normally 120 is a tough distance for me. i don't like hitting GW and it's just hard to take enough off of a PW to only hit it 120. this time i'm thinking this is perfect. ball doesn't seem to be flying. slightly uphill. Stock PW. FLUSHED it. balls in the air and the birdie putt is in the hole in my mind. it misses the green short. we get up to the green and looking back it's a lot more uphill than i saw and the wind is way stronger. on 9 i played for the uphill, thought i had hit it flag high just left for a birdie putt ... and hit it over the back in jail. It's not like i was hitting it perfect but adjusting to slopes was tough.

3) the greens are very small. Normally i associate this with rinky dink courses but i actually loved the small greens. It just felt like they fit the shots you were supposed to play. they also consistently had significant slope from back to front. 0% tricked up, fun, and definitely challenging. that is a unique mix

not knowing the course wasn't helpful. on 8 i didn't understand which way the hole turned. and i have no depth perception. i think i overhear the guys saying that a bunker is 240 to carry. to me it looks out of range. i thought my partner was telling me to aim at it. so i pound a perfect drive up ... against the lip. three shots later i'm out of the bunker and make double. ouch. on 18 city told me left is OK right is not. tees looked like they were way up. so i aim up the right side pull it. not a lot. a bit. from where we are it basically right up the middle of the fairway. it flew into the trees. not just into the trees but into the TOP of the trees. yuck. ball is in high grass and i end up making bogey. just gotta keep working. made like 3 random terrible terrible swings. hit a 3 iron 170 yards. nearly topped a 3 wood. duffed a chip. just gotta clean those things up and keep working on my weaknesses.

on winning. no clue why the other scores were so bad. i didn't think 69 was winning. i thought 66 would win. winning is FUN!!

Golf Talk DTF : What aspirations do you have for your golf game for the remainder of the season?

- Win Hive Stroke Play Championship

- Win DCGT Tour Championship

- Break 70 (at Willow Sprangs)

- hcp under 4.0

All difficult. All doable.

Nice playing Siegel & 2MT!!!

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind