2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

I had a great exchange with OCRick when Domes and I were riding around trying to figure out where the matches in the anchor groups were. We talked back and forth at each other, with neither of us making any sense at all. I can't remember what I said that prompted it, but at one point his reply was "I'm Rick!" A surprising response from somebody I had met, and played with previously. Then I was fishing in my pocket for a pencil to write their match results and some cash fell out, prompting me to give Rick a 5-spot for a beer to celebrate his victory. We both just drove away from each other eventually.

I had a great exchange with OCRick when Domes and I were riding around trying to figure out where the matches in the anchor groups were. We talked back and forth at each other, with neither of us making any sense at all. I can't remember what I said that prompted it, but at one point his reply was "I'm Rick!" A surprising response from somebody I had met, and played with previously. Then I was fishing in my pocket for a pencil to write their match results and some cash fell out, prompting me to give Rick a 5-spot for a beer to celebrate his victory. We both just drove away from each other eventually.

The "I'm Rick!" exchange was hilarious. For some reason, both Domes and I were out of the carts standing next to each other so it was like we were watching TV or something. Domes just kinda looks at me and shakes his head.

Oh, and if anybody wants a Ketsch Heavy, holler at me. It's not for me. I didn't have a single good putting round with it. I was trying the old "fake it 'til you make it" thing with it at least until the Capitol Cup was over. I faked it, and definitely didn't make it. Time to move on while the season is still young.

Before the legend of the putt on 18 gets out of hand let me set the record straight haha

I over shot the green from 138 in the right rough at the bottom of the hill. I was about 3" onto the fringe and had to come all the way back down the green (all down hill) somewhere in the range of 45-60'. Someone can probably go on Google earth or Blue Golf and get an exact number. I picked a line that actually started away from the hole and then I was going to let the slope do the work and hopefully have it settle somewhere in makeable range. Boogs was off the green so I was just hoping to force him to get up and down. Tex asked if I wanted the pin in and I said sure (good thing he asked).

Then I hit the putt in the general area I wanted to and watched it track down to the pin and drop in. Boogs gave me a 'WTF was that' look, Tex let out a yell and even Alton couldn't believe it.

I got really lucky though because if that thing missed I was probably going to end up 30 yards into the fairway. If the pin wasn't in I think it hops the hole and probably still ends up off the green.

It was a 'blind squirrel' moment for sure, but it was a pretty sizable nut so it was exciting.

Putter is feeling really good right now.

Let the legend grow man...bask in the ambiance of that cause it was an amazing putt. If it didnt go in, it was going off the green. Just a crazy hard putt and you drained it. Hell, I think I saw a pterodactyl with Ray Lewis riding it in the distance.

#thelegendgrows

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Nike VR TW blade/split cavity- 4-PW

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

Oh, and if anybody wants a Ketsch Heavy, holler at me. It's not for me. I didn't have a single good putting round with it. I was trying the old "fake it 'til you make it" thing with it at least until the Capitol Cup was over. I faked it, and definitely didn't make it. Time to move on while the season is still young.

Back to the byron?

Back to the byron?

He actually asked me if I still had the Odyssey sitting around.

Why, yes, I do.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Saturday: Hoop did a good job recapping. I thought our comeback on the second 9 was very good, especially considering the meltdowns on 12 and 13 before getting it turned around on 14. We were pin high in 2 on 13 and took three shots to get it onto the green from there. Gross. But we took advantage of some opportunities from 14 on in and ended up with the point. Well played team golf from he and I. And, of course, El Capitano, he of the Women's Medium cardigan, for foreseeing the correct matchups.

Sunday......I just didn't have it. I think Fabb and I were feeding off each others badness. Won #1 when my opponent didn't show up for his tee time....and then I can't remember after that. I was definitely +2 at one point, and then AS as late as like #13 maybe. Lost 2 and 1.

The worst part of the match was Fabb and I were both super down on ourselves on 17, both on the ropes, and I totally lost concentration and didn't check to see who was away. I thought I was but it was definitely close enough that I should have checked with him. Total mental breakdown by me to just go ahead and hit. I'm in the fairway he's in the fairway bunkers. I hit my wedge, then immediately hear the sound of fabb hitting his, and then his ball hitting the lip of the bunker.

Related: If any of you have ever thought you've seen Fabb mad, you're wrong.

Both our matches were basically over immediately after that. Once we realized how well everyone else was doing (except Tex), we both got our mojo back.

My overall putting grade is a D right now, but my short putting is a F. I actually rolled in some good ones this weekend from 15-20 feet (I can think of four off the top), but missed at least half a dozen from 5 feet and in. The par putt hoop said we had on #17 to go 1-up was an 18-incher that I didn't even hit the hole on. Thank god we won that match.

No more trips to the "Driving Range" for the time being. Trips to the "Putting Green" only.

Back to the byron?

He actually asked me if I still had the Odyssey sitting around.

Why, yes, I do.

Potenza2-BS-Hero-back.png

It's pretty, and the same toe hang you got fit for a while back.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

And if anyone wants a Ketsch Regular, holla at me... I'm going back to my Nike Oz.

I'm giving city's Odyssey Protype Black #2 a go. I've always had the most success with pretty standard anser-style putters. The boss hoss mallet was just a miserable fail.

I heard some of the funniest CityStories ever in the bar last night. We shut the place down last night. It was an absolute blast.

The bartender heard some great ones too!!!!

My day with Freezy yesterday was excellent. Our competitors kept to themselves mostly, but Mark and I bantered amongst each other the whole round, actually it started before we teed off on one. Mark played John and it was a battle all day. Mark kept giving John breaks or not capitalizing on his poor play. I'm not sure there was a hole on the front that they didn't exchange the lead. Mark cleaned it up at the end and took his match.

On 10, both our competitors got into their fair share of trouble which left Mark and I standing around for longgg periods of time. I was back right in 2 and Mark was on the back of the green in a couple more. I finally hit my chip and nestle it down. Go down and mark, ball comes rolling by about 3 feet right of the cup starts dying and curling hard. Goes all the way around the cup then falls like 3" into the back! Mark drained a nasty putt (45') to win the hole.

My match v Jason was very much the same. Mark and I were playing different matches, but the score was oddly always the same between us. If he won a hole, I did, lost one, so did I. It was kind of odd how our matches paralleled one another.

Jason and I both played very well on the front. He got 3 strokes and I just wanted to clear the front at even. We both bogey 9 and he has a stroke so I go into 10 1 down. He only got 2 on the back and that wasn't enough. I was able to grind through the wind and take the W. I went 40-44 and Jason finished somewhere north of 90.

Thoroughly enjoyed both days and my first CC. Thanks to both guys for a great event!

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

Haven’t been that upset after playing golf in a long while – all until Fabb said we had won the cup.

Didn’t seem like Corey had all his stuff early and allowed me to go 2 up through 3. I hit a great drive on 4 but then flubbed my downhill lie while he hit to about 15 feet and made his par – I couldn’t get up and down. On 5 he hits to about 25 feet, I then hit to about 5 feet (of course it’s not CTP day). He makes his long birdie and I watch mine break opposite of my read. All square now. We cross the road and that is when I played my best golf of the day. He again holed a great putt, this time from about 10-15 feet, to match pars on 6. On 7 I hit my drive about 310 and it left me a 5 iron in. I pushed it a little right but was able to chip close to about two feet and I won the hole with a birdie. We matched pars on 8 after he hit a chip to about 2 two feet and I two putted from about 30. On 9 I two putted for a net bird and went to the turn 2 up. Great got us a point! Oh, wait we’re playing 1 point for 18 holes… smh

I hit my ball right and its gone- so I play another from the tee and make my modified “par” but lose 4-6 on the hole. On 11 he hits to about 10 feet and I miss green – he two putts and I miss my 5-8 footer for par so no match is all even again. We trade pars on 12 and then 13 is when I think things changed – it really didn’t change anything in big picture, but for me, internally, it felt different. On 13 we both hit drives in fairway, he hits to green and I miss left – I then 3 putt which includes my second 5 footer that broke the opposite of my read. He is now 1 up. I get that back 14 with a standard net par and were off to 15 even again. We both go left and layup out of the tree, we then both play to the green. He hits and two putts, I missed the green but was able to get up and down while finally making a 5 footer that I didn’t misread. On to 16 – first and maybe on time the wind got me out there (which I was expecting a lot more) I played the exact same shot as Saturday, but right as I hit it the wind came hard from the right and pushed it into the bunker. He is in the middle of the green. I hit a subpar bunker shot and he makes par while I make bogey. He’s now 1 up. For the first time I feel pressure because I don’t want to lose the hole and miss the chance of a full 18 hole round. I hit my save hybrid and then a 7 iron over to the back of the green. I once again miss a 5ish footer that broke opposite of my read (putt Goose mentioned above about looking like it was dead center). I actually think I looked like a fool and started walking after the putt to get it out of the hole when it broke what seemed uphill to slide by. We both bogey so I can keep playing and im 1 down. We get to 18 and I hit a great drive but it’s too high and didn’t get the distance it should have. Then hit 3 wood to about 20 yards short. I hit a poor chip while trying to get cute and get it near the hole as he hit his third to about 3-5 feet. It rolled back off the front and then I chipped up trying to hole and it slide by a foot or two. I then conceded the hole to Corey and he won 2 up.

Glad I got to play 18 holes. I’d be lying if I didn’t say that I was afraid when driving over to the course in the am of losing like 6&5 or something like that. So in that sense I’m pleased, but it also showed me how much I hate losing when I was in no mood to chat for about 30 mins after the round. Also upset about being up 2 twice and letting that go.

Thanks Fabb and Eagle for setting this up and looking forward to Capital Cup being in a destination resort next year ;)

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

MVP of America.

There seem to be a lot of haters out there. Some quotes:

Baddomes James: "I think sometimes the word 'valuable' or best player of the year, you can have different results," said James, a four-time MVP. "You know, that's not taking anything from anyone that's ever won the award."

TheCityLebron: "Look at Ahoop’s numbers," he said. "He averaged 36 putts, he led the league in shanks, he was 90-50-40 [putting percentages from the 2 feet, 3 feet and 4 feet], and he won 3 [games]. So, I don't -- do you have any debate over that, really, when it comes to that award? But when you talk about most 'valuable,' then you can have a different conversation. So take nothing away from him. He's definitely deserving of that award, for sure."

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

Battle with DC Tour player Pavlacka: I was extremely pleased to make it through the front at nine at 2 down to him. He played really really well on the front, and I was able to pull off a win and a few halves to get it to 2 down. Got to #10, and for all that strategizing and talk about how to play what for me is a very intimidating tee shot, when you're down in a match its just very liberating to just grab the driver and say F it. Hit it perfectly down the middle, make par to his double. 1 down. Get to the par 3 11, he hits what I thought was above the trap on the left. As I hit my shot the wind gusts up hard, and I get on the green on the far right. Turns out he hit in the brush on the right, and concedes my par putt. Now we're even.

We never talk much about the mental side of things here, but he went from the happy jovial fellow with banter to stone faced silence. He's clearly a better player than me, and you could just see he's mad at himself for letting it pull back to even. We both come up short on #12, but "Thanks Monte!" I pull off a great "Use the bounce" flop shot over the bunker to about 9 feet. Made him pucker up and he stubbed his chip, and made double to my bogey. Now I'm 1 up. We tie #13 after we both played it horrendous, and then I beat him with bogey on 14 when he went OB. 2up.

Then there is that moment in the match when you can smell the blood in the water. I crush a tee shot on #15 right down the middle, hit a great approach, and flip a wedge in to 12 feet, make par to his bogey. 3 up. Can't lose.

He won #16 with a great up and down, but I won #17 after he hit into the trees right. I thought he was OB, and tries to steer a 3 wood to the right. I accomplished that, but you'd be surprised when you top it it doesn't go very far. Still made bogey to win.

I'd like to tell you that I played great, but the reality is he just kinda fell apart. Any other day of the year, I think he beats me. I think he was just worn out. VTNerf covered his match pretty well, he just ran into an absolute buzzsaw in Bird. I think Bird had the low round of the day (78? I think.)

On the 18th tee our captain comes up to see how we're doing. He's fumbling for a pencil, and he looks at me and asks "Who are you?" I thought it was an odd question myself, but maybe he thought I really wasn't Rick, cause Rick sucks and could never win a point for the WRX team. So I had to say "I'm Rick!" to make sure he knew that yes, you are really in the presence of greatness. Domes and VTNerf can confirm my version of events.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

imma run out of "likes" today boys.

uploading CC pics, will post album link this afternoon. no recap from me today, totally spent/hungover. c.free was the MVP who designated drove us home.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I'm going to nominate Halcyan for tripping in the middle of the fairway, stumbling into his ball, and incuring a one-stroke penalty on 6.

I was really worried the CC was going to come down to our group and each of suffering a loss because of self-induced penalty assessments.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Nomination for most embarrassing moment of the Cap Cup 2016: andy and I halved #5 with triples.

Would like to nominate the foursome from yesterday (eagle/fabb/domes/et al.) for pumping 4 drives either gone or in the hazard. Two of three provisionals were put into the hazard.

I did NOT drive the ball well this weekend. I hit the same bullxxxx shot on 10 both days, too. Pulled it 40-50 yards left of my intended line, into the trees just shy of where the hazard starts. I hit more fairways yesterday than Saturday, but still hurt myself with a couple loose ones.

My ballstriking kind of stunk the joint up in general this weekend. I mis-clubbed a lot in the wind yesterday. It was changing directions constantly.

Ultimately, complete lack of competence in the short game and putting did me in. I don't care to count the number of 3-putts, and missed shorties. It's a lot. I got up and down for par a grand total of ONE MF'ing time all weekend. Atrocious.

Did I mention WRX won though?

Nomination for most embarrassing moment of the Cap Cup 2016: andy and I halved #5 with triples.

Would like to nominate the foursome from yesterday (eagle/fabb/domes/et al.) for pumping 4 drives on #10 either gone or in the hazard. Two of three provisionals were put into the hazard.

that reminds me. in mod. alt. shot on saturday, i had to drive back to the tee to rehit (neither myself or dom made it to the red stakes to drop up there). i return to find a group of 8!!! guys were on the tee. i re-tee and proceed to smash it even deeper into the woods with all of them watching.

ugh.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Nomination: I won a par 5 with a triple bogey.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Battle with DC Tour player Pavlacka: I was extremely pleased to make it through the front at nine at 2 down to him. He played really really well on the front, and I was able to pull off a win and a few halves to get it to 2 down. Got to #10, and for all that strategizing and talk about how to play what for me is a very intimidating tee shot, when you're down in a match its just very liberating to just grab the driver and say F it. Hit it perfectly down the middle, make par to his double. 1 down. Get to the par 3 11, he hits what I thought was above the trap on the left. As I hit my shot the wind gusts up hard, and I get on the green on the far right. Turns out he hit in the brush on the right, and concedes my par putt. Now we're even.

We never talk much about the mental side of things here, but he went from the happy jovial fellow with banter to stone faced silence. He's clearly a better player than me, and you could just see he's mad at himself for letting it pull back to even. We both come up short on #12, but "Thanks Monte!" I pull off a great "Use the bounce" flop shot over the bunker to about 9 feet. Made him pucker up and he stubbed his chip, and made double to my bogey. Now I'm 1 up. We tie #13 after we both played it horrendous, and then I beat him with bogey on 14 when he went OB. 2up.

Then there is that moment in the match when you can smell the blood in the water. I crush a tee shot on #15 right down the middle, hit a great approach, and flip a wedge in to 12 feet, make par to his bogey. 3 up. Can't lose.

He won #16 with a great up and down, but I won #17 after he hit into the trees right. I thought he was OB, and tries to steer a 3 wood to the right. I accomplished that, but you'd be surprised when you top it it doesn't go very far. Still made bogey to win.

I'd like to tell you that I played great, but the reality is he just kinda fell apart. Any other day of the year, I think he beats me. I think he was just worn out. VTNerf covered his match pretty well, he just ran into an absolute buzzsaw in Bird. I think Bird had the low round of the day (78? I think.)

On the 18th tee our captain comes up to see how we're doing. He's fumbling for a pencil, and he looks at me and asks "Who are you?" I thought it was an odd question myself, but maybe he thought I really wasn't Rick, cause Rick sucks and could never win a point for the WRX team. So I had to say "I'm Rick!" to make sure he knew that yes, you are really in the presence of greatness. Domes and VTNerf can confirm my version of events.

How can anyone not recognize you...

ham-burglar.jpg

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway