2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

She was talking about OCGolfRick.

She also said she pictured Abb as taller, skinnier, and whiter.

She asked who a lot of people were, including VtNerf, and I go, "that's VTNerf. We sat around and had beers with him for like 2 hours a month ago." He did have a nice pink shirt on that day, and looked more business-like.

She recognized Stix (not in that photo).

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

She was talking about OCGolfRick.

She also said she pictured Abb as taller, skinnier, and whiter.

She asked who a lot of people were, including VtNerf, and I go, "that's VTNerf. We sat around and had beers with him for like 2 hours a month ago." He did have a nice pink shirt on that day, and looked more business-like.

She recognized Stix (not in that photo).

I shaved. I look 3 days younger in the pics than a month ago. It's ok.

Did you all know Endless' camera has protracer?

This one went long enough and left enough to give me a shot over a big Word not allowed tree to the green.

Wow. You can definitely see how much of a pull it is just from your stance. Either your alignment was stupid or you came 30* over the top. Even I didn't come that over the top that badly during the round...

I showed the album to my wife as well, mainly to prove that Nerf and I did not go on a debauched tour of bars and strip clubs and had our stories down pat. And whose photo did she choose and say "Who's this?", and not in a "Who's this?" kind of manner, but a "Where has this fine specimen of a man been all my life?"

TerpinTime.

knew this was the answer before you even finished asking the question. this isn't the first time T.i.T has juiced panties from a different zip code. how'd you think he earned his nickname?

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Did any of you feel the nerves out there at CC?

Goose and I were talking about how it was just nice on 18 for example to hit two good shots on the last when it mattered instead of duffing the second shot trying to get everything out of it.

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

Who's attending the Monte clinic this weekend? I remember Goose mentioning it, but anyone else? I'm supposedly attending, but still haven't seen any details so I'm not sure what time to show up.

all i know is that it's supposed to be at Compass Pointe. did you try PM'ing Monte? i think goose has his email as well, or it might be on his blog. was going to try to stop by, but i'm tapped out on golf stuff for this weekend.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I showed the album to my wife as well, mainly to prove that Nerf and I did not go on a debauched tour of bars and strip clubs and had our stories down pat. And whose photo did she choose and say "Who's this?", and not in a "Who's this?" kind of manner, but a "Where has this fine specimen of a man been all my life?"

TerpinTime.

knew this was the answer before you even finished asking the question. this isn't the first time T.i.T has juiced panties from a different zip code. how'd you think he earned his nickname?

Rick chose me over his wife on their anniversary*.

#justsaying

*For part of the day

Who's attending the Monte clinic this weekend? I remember Goose mentioning it, but anyone else? I'm supposedly attending, but still haven't seen any details so I'm not sure what time to show up.

9-4 Saturday, I PM'ed Monte yesterday.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

all i know is that it's supposed to be at Compass Pointe. did you try PM'ing Monte? i think goose has his email as well, or it might be on his blog. was going to try to stop by, but i'm tapped out on golf stuff for this weekend.

Yes, it's at compass point this weekend starting at 9 am. Bring umbrellas and rain gear. We will still get to a lot even if it pours. I don't mind getting wet.

I will email everyone today.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

so, just to confirm:

the mulch/flower bed behind hole 1 is not a free drop out of no closer to the hole. talked to the pro today. he said it's tricky (because he's seen it both ways at different courses), but at hobbits, no free drop. a local rule has to be in effect in order to get it.

just changed my front 9 hole score on saturday on the grint to the double bogey 6 i rightly deserved.

also, i wish i could attend that monte clinic. did i say i had been driving it well? i guess i've reverted back, and then some. bah.

sunday: 3/14 FIR

Screen_Shot_2016_05_17_at_10_52_43_AM.png

saturday: 1/7

Screen_Shot_2016_05_17_at_10_54_47_AM.png

JJ mentioned tournament pressure. yes, i was feeling it. unlike early jitters that dissapate, it kept coming back in waves. showed up in the big stick for sure. after a few bad drives that went every which way, i had NO IDEA where it would start or where it would go. my plummeting confidence didn't help that situation either. i can't remember having to hit so many damn provisionals in two days of golf. U-G-L-Y.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Yes, it's at compass point this weekend starting at 9 am. Bring umbrellas and rain gear. We will still get to a lot even if it pours. I don't mind getting wet.

I will email everyone today.

We probably got more rain this month than SoCal has gotten in the last 3 years. Are you sure you aren't going to melt?

Anyone have any good rain jacket suggestions? Mine sucks, and I generally prefer to get wet rather than swing with it on. I figure buying a nice expensive golf rain jacket is a sure fire way to make it stop raining.

if you are a med-large, you can borrow my FJ one.

footjoy_dryjoys_tour_xp_rain_jacket_black_orange_35239.jpg

there's also this one, which is $40 and has decent reviews.

http://www.budgetgolf.com/Sunice-Rockford-Jacket-2014.html

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Anyone have any good rain jacket suggestions? Mine sucks, and I generally prefer to get wet rather than swing with it on. I figure buying a nice expensive golf rain jacket is a sure fire way to make it stop raining.

I got one of those Nike 1/2 zip pullovers on sale at GG last year before my season opener with JJ and Eagle. I think it was the previous years model, but I really like it. Breathable and you can move in it. Full retail on those things is nuts though, would hunt for one on sale.

Goose and I were talking about how it was just nice on 18 for example to hit two good shots on the last when it mattered instead of duffing the second shot trying to get everything out of it.

Absolutely, I was feeling it big time more so on the first day because the formats involved a teammate. On the 18 hole match play, if I messed up, I wasnt bringing down my partner so it was much less and I didnt want to bring Stix down with my bad play. It was definitely a good learning experience to learn about yourself and how you handle nerves.

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Nike VR TW blade/split cavity- 4-PW

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

Ive had a Zero Restriction one for years. Love it.

A good rain jacket is worth the few hundred you will spend and it will come handy time after time.

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

I bought mine from budgetgolf for like 49.99 when it was originally 199.99. I think it was a Nike Storm Fit jacket and it has been amazing in the rain. Repels water really well and even on a downpour I didnt feel one drop. I wish I bought the rain pants when I bought it but I think they were out of my size. That's probably the next purchase for me. Look out for Adidas too, I read good reviews on their ClimaShell line for rain gear.

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Nike VR TW blade/split cavity- 4-PW

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

You wrote something about feeling nerves in your post, about worrying about getting beat 6&5.

I actually had a thing written up last night, that I slept on, and didn't post, and ended up deleting it. Since you're asking again.

tl;dr version : Yes.

The gist of my post was this. . .

When I first started with the men's club, I'd show up 45 minutes before my start time and I do number 4. That's going number 2, twice. Sometimes I'd go number 6. Even after I'd played in the finals of the Club Championship, I'd show up at the silly scramble season opener and feel nerves. Last year, second time playing in the Club Championship finals, I really felt it because I was in such a good position to win, and totally topped a ball on the first tee.

Reading through the recaps, you mentioned you didn't want to get beat 6&5.

Goosehook mentioned he'd put up a Goose-egg in singles in Cap Cup so far and really wanted to get that monkey off his back.

Stix (somewhat jokingly) called our match "revenge".

Fabb talked about how he was infuriated out there with his play. In an under-discussed boss move of the weekend, Eagle opted to play him straight up. That puts Abb in the position of being expected to win, and Eagle kind of in a no-lose position. Don't know if it was intentionally psychological, or just "I don't want the cup to come down to you giving me strokes". FTR, I made no such psychologically play by offering Stix to play straight up. I'll take the stroke, TYVM.

My point here is that, yes, we're all bringing baggage into a tournament round of golf that is above and beyond just playing golf. Learning to deal with that is part of learning to be a better golfer.

Not to get in Stix' head, but let's say he's (semi) serious about this being a "revenge" match. You know what we should be serious about? Hitting the fairway on hole 1. That's what I'm serious about. I was serious about the putt I had on 2 from 7 feet to halve a hole. I was serious about evaluating the wind and elevation on hole 3 so I could pick the right club.

I actually was saying to him at one point, "I'm surprised how serious Abb takes this event. Is Eagle that serious about it?"

And he was like, "yeah, he is and so am I."

But, not to undermine the seriousness of the event, but I don't get as "up" for it as they seem to (there are reasons I won't go into here. Talked about with Stix a little. I can later. It's not insulting or anything.) And, it's quite possible that helps my game. You need to care enough to go play, but not so much that you get tense or forget about your PSR or something.

THE LARGER POINT : Many of us have ego's tied up with our golf games. I respect everyone who shares their up's and down's here because most people would rather just go on about their business without anyone noticing. A lot of people don't want to leave that comfort zone of playing just with their friends, for fun, taking 3-foot gimmes. We all -- myself strongly included -- have easy excuses for why we didn't put up a better number.

And maybe at this point, you think I'm going to say something like, "you know what? Nobody cares except YOU."

But, I don't believe that.

I know the guys in my club who never sniff the money. I know the gamers. I know who got beat 5&4 in the 7's. I'm aware that we had some o-fers in Capitol Cup and I'm really glad that some guys got off the schneid. Most people probably don't think about others. But some people do.

And, I don't know how to deal with the frustration except get better and have good rounds. I was so pi$$ed after Club Championship last year, and I couldn't wash it away for weeks until I played that round at Bethpage. I still re-live what was essentially a mis-alignment because of nerves that put a wedge into tree limbs on 18 in the Club Champ.

I was really really disappointed in PQ and I's MSGA showing and was lucky enough to put up a really good number in a tournament the next week -- a tournament that I took just as seriously, if not more. That sh1t chews you up if you care about your game.

I think I've gotten a lot better at dealing with nerves. I don't know what to tell people. . .get older, play more. That's just a way of saying "put it in context".

Really, though, I think if you care about golf, you'll never get past psychological stuff. I think the best you can hope for is to put on a happy face to the outside during and after rounds that have gone t1ts up, but even that is a learned skill.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I love the ZR gore-tex jacket I have. Got that cheap Puma rainsuit a couple years ago and it was totally waterproof, but didn't breathe at all. Never an issue with the ZR.

FJ Tour XP rain pants are great as well. A little hot to wear once it gets into the mid 60's, but dry for days, son. Much more breathable than the pumas.

http://www.budgetgol...acket-2014.html

Thanks for the offer, but looking to get one for the long term for myself.

If it's at Compass, say yo to Carolina.

Thought I'd pop in the old neighborhood and see who all might be coming this weekend.

Yes, I'll be here Saturday AM for a while, mostly trying to shooo the rain away for you guys. But as Monte said, we'll make it work one way or the other. And when the weather clears for Sunday it should be fantastic, and hopefully a good number of you guys are playing golf on Monday. The course is in very good shape right now.

See ya'll Saturday!!

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

http://www.budgetgol...acket-2014.html

Thanks for the offer, but looking to get one for the long term for myself.

If you can, make sure to check the "ratings" for any rain gear you buy. My puma was 10,000/5,000 I think, and it was uncomfortable unless it was freezing cold.

Here's a good link that explains the ratings. http://www.evo.com/waterproof-ratings-and-breathability-guide.aspx