2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping i-e Irons?

Nessism

Finally got our fitting cart heads and shafts in. Love the look and feel of the new I e 1s! Love the thinner topline! Looks like a forgiving S55. :)

Ping Hoofer

Ping G430 Max 10.5* 

Ping G430 Max 3/7W

Ping BPS 5-PW

SM10 50, 56*

SC Phantom 5.5

TM TR

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

[quote name='Ping Gator' timestamp='1437219111' post='11971736'][quote name='ryanmn4' timestamp='1437137642' post='11965456']
[quote name='doublehans' timestamp='1437136805' post='11965360']
[quote name='ryanmn4' timestamp='1437135725' post='11965280']
[quote name='sfinn17' timestamp='1437076669' post='11961690']
Why are the PX shafts only offered in 5.0 and 6.0, and not 5.5?
[/quote]I'm wondering same thing...I suppose we can hard step a 5.0 or soft step a 6.0, but 5.5 is basically a stock stiff...you'd think that would be an option.
[/quote]

Probably cost. Cheaper to have fewer options for no upcharge. If you decide to have only two options tho, 5.0 and 6.0 are the obvious choices.
[/quote]I'm sure that's the case. I've been playing 6.0s for years but was recently fitted right at 5.5, expected to get them in my next set. Will PING hard or soft step one shaft or the other at no charge? And which is "better"? Never done that to iron shafts before (what a bad WRX'r I am...)
[/quote]

when I bought my anser irons a few years ago.. I put 5.5s in them. they didn't offer them, but didn't charge me anything different then

I am going to do 6.0s this time around in the short irons and 5.5 in the 6, 5, and 4 as I hit a fade naturally, but when I hit a more solid shot in the 7 8 and 9s i tend to hit the fade less and the baby draw more. I think its the shaft..
I also and going to have the lofts adjusted. I don't care about the distance. I want the gaps right. So my PW is going to be soften to 47, and then I will work back from there.

I hit my gap wedge 115 but my PW can go 140... yeah, thats not what I need... I need a PW to go 130... and my 9 to be 145 and my 8 to be 160
by the time I get to the 7, it will be back to standard lofts.

Yeah I am weird[/quote]hey weirdo...:)

I would strongly suggest getting a bounce grind if you go 2 degrees weak, unless you really come down strong.

Im the guy that takes a 6 inch long divot that is 3 inches deep

so is that what you mean?

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

[quote name='Ping Gator' timestamp='1437086472' post='11962738']
yeah, but my irons are 2 years old, three in april. so they would be a big upgrade for me.

DO NOT DISAGREE WITH ME..

if you convince me otherwise, i won't be able to justify it by my new irons being so much better than my old ones!
[/quote]

I'm with you Gator. My irons are very old. I'm going all in. 4-pw S300's

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

Got back from my fitting. My previous irons were i10's, and when I got fitted for those (almost 10 years ago) my swing was a bit different.

Got fitted at the new Golf Galaxy in Columbus, OH (Easton) which has a dedicated Ping fitting bay and fitter. I'm a high ball hitter so I only tried the DG's and PX's (7 iron only). Started with the DG's and those were nice (huge improvement over i10's). Good solid feel and tighter dispersion. However still felt a little "loose," even after 30 balls or so. I swapped over to the PX 6.0's and over an additional 30-40 balls I knew this setup was perfect. Dispersion tightened up quite a bit over the DG's, and the #'s were pretty solid. Overall I really liked the feel of the i's. It's a very solid feel even off-center, but anything close to the center just feels flush as can be. All of the data on the simulator backed it up, too. I didn't lose much distance on off-center shots and my misses were much much smaller. I finished the session by getting some impact stickers on the face and sole and hit a number of balls and hitting off of the plastic board. Dead flush on everything. Lie angle was perfect. So I ordered a set and hopefully they ship out right away on July 30th.

4-PW
Blue dot (.75 upright)
Standard grip
Standard length
Project X 6.0

Some numbers (7 iron on everything with a Pro V1 for all shots):
89 mph club head speed
115.5 ball speed (smash factor of 1.30)
20.8' launch angle
6338 rpm spin
4 yard draw was the avg shot
48.1' landing angle
164 yard carry and a 171 total carry

Callaway GBB Epic SZ 10' - HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 6.5
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15' - HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5
Taylormade SIM 3H - GD AD-DI 8x
Ping i(e1) 4-PW - Project X 6.0 
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08F, 54.08M, 60.04L - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 7

Our club just got the fitting heads and shafts. I have been hitting my S55s so well, I was going to pass on these. The pro talked me into hitting the 7 iron. We tried a few of the shaft options but nothing was showing out much better than the S55s. Then we dropped the Nippon Modus 105 in. We use the GC2 and my numbers were incredible. He said he doesn't see an amateur fit into a shaft and head combo much better very often. I hit about 10-12 shots and the averages that I can remember were:

Carry Distance: 168
Peak Height: 35.4
Spin: 6656
Descent: 52*
Swing Speed: 81

I can't remember average ball speed but my dispersion was +/- 3 yards over those shots. As I started seeing the ball flight and numbers, I knew I was going to be an easy sale. Turf interaction is as good as the S55s for me as I tend to get steep and dig on my bad swings. The Nippon feel is incredible too. I have played Steelfibers and that's as close to that feel as I have come across. Needless to say, 5-UW Blue Dot are in the order system. I've owned the 20's, 25's and now S55's. These are definitely very very good feeling clubs.

[quote name='awtryau89' timestamp='1437261239' post='11974876']
Our club just got the fitting heads and shafts. I have been hitting my S55s so well, I was going to pass on these. The pro talked me into hitting the 7 iron. We tried a few of the shaft options but nothing was showing out much better than the S55s. Then we dropped the Nippon Modus 105 in. We use the GC2 and my numbers were incredible. He said he doesn't see an amateur fit into a shaft and head combo much better very often. I hit about 10-12 shots and the averages that I can remember were:

I can't remember average ball speed but my dispersion was +/- 3 yards over those shots. As I started seeing the ball flight and numbers, I knew I was going to be an easy sale. Turf interaction is as good as the S55s for me as I tend to get steep and dig on my bad swings. The Nippon feel is incredible too. I have played Steelfibers and that's as close to that feel as I have come across. Needless to say, 5-UW Blue Dot are in the order system. I've owned the 20's, 25's and now S55's. These are definitely very very good feeling clubs.
[/quote]

Out of curiosity what kind of SS are you with driver? I have played DG S300 for many years and always go there. I read I think on Golfsmiths site that the Modus was the softest and highest launch of all the stock options. Started thinking that might not be my best option but I am older and slower now so I will demo them before I place my order.

Cobra F9 3 wood
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

[quote name='jwo' timestamp='1437265433' post='11975226']

[/quote]

Out of curiosity what kind of SS are you with driver? I have played DG S300 for many years and always go there. I read I think on Golfsmiths site that the Modus was the softest and highest launch of all the stock options. Started thinking that might not be my best option but I am older and slower now so I will demo them before I place my order.
[/quote]

That SS with the 7 might be a little low. I think our system backs into the SS. Still with the Mizuno Shaft Fitting system, I am about 84 with their 6 iron fitting shaft. Earlier this year in a fitting for the G30, we used the dots that attach to the face and I think that helps get a more accurate SS. With those I averaged 103mph but that was with the 45.75" stock shaft.

[quote name='awtryau89' timestamp='1437261239' post='11974876']Our club just got the fitting heads and shafts. I have been hitting my S55s so well, I was going to pass on these. The pro talked me into hitting the 7 iron. We tried a few of the shaft options but nothing was showing out much better than the S55s. Then we dropped the Nippon Modus 105 in. We use the GC2 and my numbers were incredible. He said he doesn't see an amateur fit into a shaft and head combo much better very often. I hit about 10-12 shots and the averages that I can remember were:

I can't remember average ball speed but my dispersion was +/- 3 yards over those shots. As I started seeing the ball flight and numbers, I knew I was going to be an easy sale. Turf interaction is as good as the S55s for me as I tend to get steep and dig on my bad swings. The Nippon feel is incredible too. I have played Steelfibers and that's as close to that feel as I have come across. Needless to say, 5-UW Blue Dot are in the order system. I've owned the 20's, 25's and now S55's. These are definitely very very good feeling clubs.[/quote]

S or X in the Modus?

[quote name='awtryau89' timestamp='1437269553' post='11975678']I went with the S. The shaft feels so soft and smooth but you can really go after it too without any issues.[/quote]

Thanks for the response. Going to get fit tomorrow. Looking forward to testing the S. Played the X ST Proto (which is the Modus 105) previously and felt it was a tad too stiff for me.

[/quote]

What shaft is in your s55 irons? Just curious ..

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35

[quote name='awtryau89' timestamp='1437265959' post='11975282']
[quote name='jwo' timestamp='1437265433' post='11975226']

[/quote]

[/quote]

That SS with the 7 might be a little low. I think our system backs into the SS. Still with the Mizuno Shaft Fitting system, I am about 84 with their 6 iron fitting shaft. Earlier this year in a fitting for the G30, we used the dots that attach to the face and I think that helps get a more accurate SS. With those I averaged 103mph but that was with the 45.75" stock shaft.
[/quote]

Thanks for that info. That puts us very close and also makes the Modus a must try.

Cobra F9 3 wood
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

[quote name='tommaso05' timestamp='1437259102' post='11974694']Got back from my fitting. My previous irons were i10's, and when I got fitted for those (almost 10 years ago) my swing was a bit different.

Got fitted at the new Golf Galaxy in Columbus, OH (Easton) which has a dedicated Ping fitting bay and fitter. I'm a high ball hitter so I only tried the DG's and PX's (7 iron only). Started with the DG's and those were nice (huge improvement over i10's). Good solid feel and tighter dispersion. However still felt a little "loose," even after 30 balls or so. I swapped over to the PX 6.0's and over an additional 30-40 balls I knew this setup was perfect. Dispersion tightened up quite a bit over the DG's, and the #'s were pretty solid. Overall I really liked the feel of the i's. It's a very solid feel even off-center, but anything close to the center just feels flush as can be. All of the data on the simulator backed it up, too. I didn't lose much distance on off-center shots and my misses were much much smaller. I finished the session by getting some impact stickers on the face and sole and hit a number of balls and hitting off of the plastic board. Dead flush on everything. Lie angle was perfect. So I ordered a set and hopefully they ship out right away on July 30th.

4-PW
Blue dot (.75 upright)
Standard grip
Standard length
Project X 6.0

Some numbers (7 iron on everything with a Pro V1 for all shots):
89 mph club head speed
115.5 ball speed (smash factor of 1.30)
20.8' launch angle
6338 rpm spin
4 yard draw was the avg shot
48.1' landing angle
164 yard carry and a 171 total carry[/quote]
I was wondering did you stay a blue dot from the i10 to iE's? Or did you from one to the blue?

Golf Town has them now, at least at my store.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Taylor Made Sim 2 Max 5-wood 18*, Ventus Blue 50 A
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

[quote name='rgk5' timestamp='1437341522' post='11980056']Golf Town has them now, at least at my store.[/quote]i call mine earlier and they had no idea when they will have a demo. Wheres is your store?

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Tested these today. Outside on a Trackman. Great feeling irons. The CFS S shaft spun a bit too much. Switch to the Modus 105 S and the spin came down a couple hundred RPMs. I really like the Modus 105, it's just so smooth and I like the lighter weight. Dispersion was pretty good with every shaft I tried, but definitely the best with the Modus. Planning to go with the Modus 105 S hard stepped once to bring the spin down a little more.

Order will be placed this week!! Will enjoy the added forgiveness over my S55s. Especially in the long irons.

[quote name='SCOTT4099' timestamp='1437285145' post='11976766']

[/quote]

What shaft is in your s55 irons? Just curious ..
[/quote]

I play a KBS Tour V in the S55s.

I have never used anything but Rifle shafts and Ping Stock shafts

Would i get a big improvement from trying something else, or are they just different?

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

[quote name='Ping Gator' timestamp='1437346913' post='11980478']I have never used anything but Rifle shafts and Ping Stock shafts

Would i get a big improvement from trying something else, or are they just different?[/quote]

I'd recommend testing them all out and see which works best for you. It may be the stock PING shaft. But this is the first time PING is offering aftermarket options with no up-charge, so it never hurts to try them all.

I guess i am going to have to find a fitter. My local course is the only place to buy clubs in my town.

headed to Jacksonville to be fitted I guess...

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

I was able to take out a demo I E1 7 Modus 105 this weekend and took it to the range to compare against my I5 ZZ65. I noticed that the I E1 Modus flew a couple yards further and had a higher ball flight. The feel of this combo is very good and the club looks good at address.

I went to my local Edwin Watts to confirm the numbers and hit about 20 shots with each and the numbers in the end were similar with the I E1 Modus launching about a degree or two higher and having about 200 rpm's more spin than my I5 ZZ65 combo. The overall carry and distance was between 2-3 yards, so it's tough to justify spending $1,000 on a new set to gain a couple yards.

I actually was able to hit the I E1 Modus combo yesterday during a round and it played well, but still undecided if it's worth the upgrade from what I'm currently hitting.

From what I can remember on the numbers:

SS- 83-85 mph
Launch- 20-22*
Spin- 4,200-4,500 rpm's
Carry- 154-156 yds
Total Distance 160-164 yards
Smash Factor- consistently 135

These were consistent to what I was seeing on the course.

[quote name='lefty74pgh' timestamp='1437349262' post='11980670']
I was able to take out a demo I E1 7 Modus 105 this weekend and took it to the range to compare against my I5 ZZ65. I noticed that the I E1 Modus flew a couple yards further and had a higher ball flight. The feel of this combo is very good and the club looks good at address.

I went to my local Edwin Watts to confirm the numbers and hit about 20 shots with each and the numbers in the end were similar with the I E1 Modus launching about a degree or two higher and having about 200 rpm's more spin than my I5 ZZ65 combo. The overall carry and distance was between 2-3 yards, so it's tough to justify spending $1,000 on a new set to gain a couple yards.

I actually was able to hit the I E1 Modus combo yesterday during a round and it played well, but still undecided if it's worth the upgrade from what I'm currently hitting.

From what I can remember on the numbers:

SS- 83-85 mph
Launch- 20-22*
Spin- 4,200-4,500 rpm's
Carry- 154-156 yds
Total Distance 160-164 yards
Smash Factor- consistently 135

These were consistent to what I was seeing on the course.
[/quote]

Great write up. I'm looking at getting I25s with the ZZ65 or the Ie with the Modus 105.

[quote name='driverwedge3putt' timestamp='1437355608' post='11981358']
I ordered a set from Golftown 3-U S300, Standard Length Standard Loft, Stock Grip

Very excited - question though will they come Black Dot or Blue Dot???

Im hoping / assuming Black
[/quote]

Since "standard" is now +1/4" I'm guessing they'll be blue dot. Report back, I'm sure a lot of people would like to know.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

[quote name='driverwedge3putt' timestamp='1437355608' post='11981358']
I ordered a set from Golftown 3-U S300, Standard Length Standard Loft, Stock Grip

Very excited - question though will they come Black Dot or Blue Dot???

Im hoping / assuming Black
[/quote]

Use the webfit at www.pinggolf.com . This will provide you with the correct length and lie for your physique. and set you up well to make fundamentally sound golf swings.

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter