SLDR Anonymous Meeting

Medic

SLDR 15* Fairway refuses to leave my bag. Perfect headshape. Deep-ish face. Great sound. Solid all around. Shafted with a Motore Speeder 8.1. But I did order an M2 Tour which may give it a run.

No issues that I know of with the original SLDR fairways and hybrids, unless you include the lower-than-most launch. (Many prefer the original SLDR 3HL Fairway over the standard 15* 3W).

The main thread focus here is on issues/complaints surrounding the original (2013-2014) SLDR Drivers...and most specifically, their lack of forgiveness and tendency for a 'low hook miss' that seems to just come 'out the blue' even when you felt you made a good swing.

Still plenty of those older SLDR drivers out there however, although many of them now reside in the closet or garage, rather than in a golf bag.

:golfer:

The tour issued sldr I have is much better than retail. Head weight is 193 and the sliding weight is green. It feels much different and the launch isn't so low. I had a horrible experience with the retail heads similar to the above mentioned. Drop kick hooks.

I remember the one with the green slider...It was a special 'Master's edition' of the original SLDR Driver... :yes:

As mentioned earlier, the Tour issue heads are actually more forgiving than the Retails...those feature a different weighting scheme than the retail versions, with a heavier toe plate cover and a tow screw which adds weight nearer the perimeter. The silver slider weight weighs less too, usually 9-grams or 11-grams, verses 16-grams which is the standard for all Retail Models.

The proper way to weigh the SLDR Driver clubhead is with a loose shaft adapter installed. The SLDR shaft adapter weighs approximately 7.5-grams and is considered clubhead weight for swingweighting purposes, not shaft weight. If you didn't include that, then the real weight of your Tour issued 'Master's edition' clubhead is likely just a tad over 200-grams which is within the range of other Tour issued Models I have seen.

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

I bought an SLDR when I was ready to try something against my aging G20. I got a screaming deal on a 10.5* 460 with an Oban Kiyoshi black x shaft, and I was so excited to take it out. I still am not sure I have ever hit that combo higher than 13 feet in the air at apex. So did I step away or did I double down? This is WRX, so I bought another, a 12* 430 with one of the stock shafts. I hated that too. So I bought an Aldila Tour Blue in a stiff to see if I could get that sucker to fly, but it just unleashed an unholy hook. So now I have 3 shafts, 2 heads, and ZERO combinations I enjoy playing. I cannot wait to figure out what is next, because I am done with this nonsense.

I just bought a SLDR head with 2 shafts lol, hope it goes well for me..well see

I have 4 of them. 12* in both 430 and 460, an 11* Japanese Model and a 10.5 460 as well. Several different shafts too. Regardless of the combination this driver is great. If I make a decent swing, the result is always fine. I see a lot of comments on the negative effects of low spin and the unforgiveness as well. I just don't see it. I don't consider myself a great driver of the ball. Wedges are my strength. There is a reason I picked up 4 of these.... THEY ARE THE BOMB!

Whats in the Bag:
Srixon Zx7 MKII 10.5* set to 11.5* with 44" Dynamic Gold X100
Srixon Zx7 MKII 15* Fairway set to 16* with Hazrdous Stiff Graphite

Srixon Zx7 MKII 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour Prototype 85 Stiff Graphite
Srixon Zx7 4-PW with KBS $ Taper 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX6 50-54-58* Mid Grind Wedges with Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Spinner Shafts

Cleveland Frontline Elite CERO Putter
Intelligent Design TRUST Milled Putter 

I still have two, and will always keep one shafted up. Its a powerhouse, and likely the longest driver Ive hit and may hit. Its not a K15 but I never had too much issue keeping it on the course, and by no means am I a great driver. I hit the mini sldr a ton off the tee, that club is a bomb as well. I have since moved to a Jpx900 driver because I have experienced its more reliable and consistent, but like I said I will always be a SLDR believer and keep one on hand. It got a bad rap because a ton of average joes flocked to it, and weren't fit and just like the sub zero heads……found it didn't fit them off the rack and the hated it. You have to get it dialed in and fit to your swing, and you'll likely experience a different club.

If you pair it right shaft and loft wise, Id bet money that you won't find much if anything longer than a well caught SLDR. Also, from everything Ive experienced and seen with it, the SLDR C is nothing more than a SLDR-less, wannabe from the racks of Dicks. Aside from the low CG the best benefit is the adjustability, which has been a really nice feature to the club. I have found it actually responds well to the movements of the weight.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

I have to admit that I might be playing the most cheap, commercial, and lightest driver known to man. I spent thousands of bucks trying the newest of drivers for past several years. I gave each of them a good trail run and tried hard to find reasons to keep everyone one of them. Then it happened... Golfsmith was having a going out of business sake and I stopped and got on their simulator and grabbed a random club without really looking at it and sat there for almost 30 minutes crushing balls dead center and longer than I ever have. I looked at the club and i began to laugh, Slider C. I said what the hell is this thing, never heard of it. Long story cut short, bought brand new for 70 bucks and have been crushing it for 7 months now. I keep trying to put the latest and greatest in the bag, but nothing can beat this thing out of my bag, it's crazy. Don't get me wrong, I've spent a fortune on my woods and irons, but this driver might be best bang for the buck I've ever bought for golf. I know I will get dogged every time people see the club, but that usually stops about 3rd hole. Anyways, i will not be getting rid of my cheap (but great) driver. Best money ever spent.

DRIVER --Rogue sub zero

FW- Rogue 3 wood
M2--5hl

IRONS--- jpx 900 forged 5-pw

WEDGES--T7-49-53-56-59

PUTTER-- scotty cameron buttonback

I have to admit that I might be playing the most cheap, commercial, and lightest driver known to man. I spent thousands of bucks trying the newest of drivers for past several years. I gave each of them a good trail run and tried hard to find reasons to keep everyone one of them. Then it happened... Golfsmith was having a going out of business sake and I stopped and got on their simulator and grabbed a random club without really looking at it and sat there for almost 30 minutes crushing balls dead center and longer than I ever have. I looked at the club and i began to laugh, SLDR-C I said, what the hell is this thing???...never heard of it. Long story cut short, bought brand new for 70 bucks and have been crushing it for 7 months now. I keep trying to put the latest and greatest in the bag, but nothing can beat this thing out of my bag, it's crazy. Don't get me wrong, I've spent a fortune on my woods and irons, but this driver might be best bang for the buck I've ever bought for golf. I know I will get dogged every time people see the club, but that usually stops about 3rd hole. Anyways, i will not be getting rid of my cheap (but great) driver. Best money ever spent.

You are 100% correct in your assessment!..As I have often said, there is no direct relationship between price and driver performance! Furthermore, 'simple' often works better than 'complex'. I've been playing the SLDR-C Driver since it was announced in mid-2015 with a custom shaft that I was fitted for. It's a great clubhead that offers distance, accuracy, and forgiveness! It's best to ignore negative comments from the 'clueless, because their 'uninformed opinions' are based solely on price. The SLDR-C Driver performs extremely well, and it deserves a lot more credit than it gets! As you pointed out, the latest, and more expensive), isn't necessarily the greatest. Once you actually play the SLDR-C Driver, you learn that truth!.. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your post!.. :good:

Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts

SLDR 15* Fairway refuses to leave my bag. Perfect headshape. Deep-ish face. Great sound. Solid all around. Shafted with a Motore Speeder 8.1. But I did order an M2 Tour which may give it a run.

No issues that I know of with the original SLDR fairways and hybrids, unless you include the lower-than-most launch. (Many prefer the original SLDR 3HL Fairway over the standard 15* 3W).

The main thread focus here is on issues/complaints surrounding the original (2013-2014) SLDR Drivers...and most specifically, their lack of forgiveness and tendency for a 'low hook miss' that seems to just come 'out the blue' even when you felt you made a good swing.

Still plenty of those older SLDR drivers out there however, although many of them now reside in the closet or garage, rather than in a golf bag.

The tour issued sldr I have is much better than retail. Head weight is 193 and the sliding weight is green. It feels much different and the launch isn't so low. I had a horrible experience with the retail heads similar to the above mentioned. Drop kick hooks.

I remember the one with the green slider...It was a special 'Master's edition' of the original SLDR Driver... :yes:

As mentioned earlier, the Tour issue heads are actually more forgiving than the Retails...those feature a different weighting scheme than the retail versions, with a heavier toe plate cover and a tow screw which adds weight nearer the perimeter. The silver slider weight weighs less too, usually 9-grams or 11-grams, verses 16-grams which is the standard for all Retail Models.

The proper way to weigh the SLDR Driver clubhead is with a loose shaft adapter installed. The SLDR shaft adapter weighs approximately 7.5-grams and is considered clubhead weight for swingweighting purposes, not shaft weight. If you didn't include that, then the real weight of your Tour issued 'Master's edition' clubhead is likely just a tad over 200-grams which is within the range of other Tour issued Models I have seen.

The weight with adapter installed was 199 grams I'm not sure what the retail version weighed but it felt much heavier. Like you mentioned above it was a whole different feel Than retail. I didn't have to loft up with it or see ridiculous drop kick out of the sky drives.

I just put a SLDR 2 Hybrid in the bag, does that mean I can join this meeting?

Of course you can!....The SLDR Hybrid doesn't need a 'slider' to be considered part of the SLDR Family. The original SLDR Fairways, and Hybrids don't have a slider, nor does the SLDR Mini Driver, or the most recent addition, SLDR-C Series Family, which consists of a Driver, Fairways and Hybrids. One could even argue that models without a slider mechanism represent the best of the SLDR Family! Similarly, the M2 Driver has no slider, but is clearly as much a part of the M-Family as the 'dual slider' M1.

Welcome to the meeting!.. :)

I just put a SLDR 2 Hybrid in the bag, does that mean I can join this meeting?

Of course you can!....The SLDR Hybrid doesn't need a 'slider' to be considered part of the SLDR Family. The original SLDR Fairways, and Hybrids don't have a slider, nor does the SLDR Mini Driver, or the most recent addition, SLDR-C Series Family, which consists of a Driver, Fairways and Hybrids. One could even argue that models without a slider mechanism represent the best of the SLDR Family! Similarly, the M2 Driver has no slider, but is clearly as much a part of the M-Family as the 'dual slider' M1.

Welcome to the meeting!.. :)

Awesome! I actually have played a SLDR 430 and JDM 430 previously with some success but have since bounced around and ended back up with a Jetspeed. Like you said the equipment without the "sliding" mechanisms seem to be the best. I also use a Adams XTD Ti fairway with similar characteristics as the newer models.

I still have two, and will always keep one shafted up. Its a powerhouse, and likely the longest driver Ive hit and may hit. Its not a K15 but I never had too much issue keeping it on the course, and by no means am I a great driver. I hit the mini sldr a ton off the tee, that club is a bomb as well. I have since moved to a Jpx900 driver because I have experienced its more reliable and consistent, but like I said I will always be a SLDR believer and keep one on hand. It got a bad rap because a ton of average joes flocked to it, and weren't fit and just like the sub zero heads……found it didn't fit them off the rack and the hated it. You have to get it dialed in and fit to your swing, and you'll likely experience a different club.

If you pair it right shaft and loft wise, Id bet money that you won't find much if anything longer than a well caught SLDR. Also, from everything Ive experienced and seen with it, the SLDR C is nothing more than a SLDR-less, wannabe from the racks of Dicks. Aside from the low CG the best benefit is the adjustability, which has been a really nice feature to the club. I have found it actually responds well to the movements of the weight.

Of course a lot of 'average joes' flocked to it, because it was marketed to a lot of average joes. And I believe a lot of the 'fitters' in the retail outlets didn't really know how to fit it, but really wanted to make the sale. TM had a massive advertising campaign behind it. As I said earlier, it's probably a great club for talented golfers with 105+ mph swing speed. I luck into the occasional on the screws hit, and it is massively long. But my ego is massaged more by being in the fairway regularly and shooting consistently in the low 80s than out-driving my mates two or three times a round. BTW, I was shopping for another driver this past weekend. I always start at Van's because the staff know me and their prices are usually better. The staffer, whom I know, asked me what driver I was currently using. When I told him 'a SLDR 460,' he told me that driver had set the record at Van's for the most returns of any new launch. He pointed to the used club rack, where there were at least four SLDRs. Bobcat: I moved the weight all the way to fade last time out. It did feel more solid, but no more forgiving.

Bobcat: I moved the weight all the way to fade last time out. It did feel more solid, but no more forgiving.

tucsonsean....

As previously stated in Post #77 on page 3 of this thread, simply moving the slider over to the extreme fade position is not a 'FIX' for the SLDR's lack of forgiveness. Please take the time to read Post #77 in its entirety if want a 'FIX' that will make your SLDR behave much better!... :read:

Of course a lot of 'average joes' flocked to it, because it was marketed to a lot of average joes. And I believe a lot of the 'fitters' in the retail outlets didn't really know how to fit it, but really wanted to make the sale. TM had a massive advertising campaign behind it. As I said earlier, it's probably a great club for talented golfers with 105+ mph swing speed. I luck into the occasional on the screws hit, and it is massively long. But my ego is massaged more by being in the fairway regularly and shooting consistently in the low 80s than out-driving my mates two or three times a round. BTW, I was shopping for another driver this past weekend. I always start at Van's because the staff know me and their prices are usually better. The staffer, whom I know, asked me what driver I was currently using. When I told him 'a SLDR 460,' he told me that driver had set the record at Van's for the most returns of any new launch. He pointed to the used club rack, where there were at least four SLDRs. Bobcat: I moved the weight all the way to fade last time out. It did feel more solid, but no more forgiving.

The goal is to be smarter than the average joes or the 16 year old "fitter", and just becomes something is flashed at you….doesnt mean that its right or you should buy it. But that is the reality of a lot of the weekly golfers, so I get it. Ultimately the goal of company is to sell clubs, and they really don't care if you sell it back in a month or not….they got their cash. The responsibility is on the consumer to be smarter than your average commercial. Cant blame a very good marketing campaign for clubs being a bad fit for you.

That being said, its a great driver that gives amazing numbers and performance, but its no miracle stick either. Its not a G30 in forgiveness, but honestly in my own experience with it, you have to hit is really really far off the sweetspot to get bitten by it. So it can boil down to just about any club you try, if you miss the sweet spot you are going to have varying results with it. When you're hitting the SLDR well, I am unsure if anything is longer.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

Hi Everyone.

My name is Jim. And I used to love the SLDR.

It started with some long drives. Some consistency. Some fun on the range and even during rounds. Sure, there was the occasional lost shot but I'm not a pro afterall so it was easy to understand how a shot could go so astray.

I invested in a shaft I have used in other drivers. And it helped. For awhile.

I invested in a grip that I really love to really make it "feel right". And it helped. For awhile.

I spent hours on the range. Dialing it in. Tweaking it. Really going after the ball.

And then it happened. The past two weekends I played in my two leagues. And in both cases my driver was WAY off. I am not talking about here and there. I am talking about hitting only 2 fairways off. I am talking about OB-off not once but twice.

Then, to top everything else off, on the final hole when I had already made up my mind that I was going to pull it - and put one of my old reliable drivers back in the bag, I hit the drive of the day. Easily passing everyone else in my group and dead center.

Oh no you don't SLDR! I won't be fooled by one great drive like that. Where were you the other 13 holes each round????

So yesterday I pulled it. Into the bag went my BC+ with my favorite shaft. I played both yesterday and again today after work. Danny was with me and can attest to how far I was hitting the BC and how many fairways I managed to hit. On the last hole I hit a drive that was just past Danny and he is a LONG hitter!

And now I have joined SLDR Anonymous - the former SLDR user's group. For those players who were addicted to the promise of longer drives and who bought into the hype. But who found out the hard way that, while it can be an amazingly long driver, it can also be VERY wild and unmanageable.

I could not help but wonder. There are other threads asking what others have gone on to after leaving the SLDR but I don't know of any threads that really asked the most important question; what experiences with the SLDR did you have that led to you pulling it out of the bag? (Forgive me if my search failed - I searched SLDR and didn't see one specific to this question)

You can consider this the SLDR Anonymous Meeting place. Feel free to be completely honest. What in the world happened to you that showed you the light of just how evil that long distance driver can really be? For me, the highest score ever since joining my league convinced me it was time for a change.

jetspeed for me..

This isn't much of a support group, so this is probably my last SLDR Anonymous meeting. I think Taylormade genuinely believed the advertising they put out. I also think they were surprised at how it all played out for the original SLDR. They rolled out the Jetspeed' Aeroburner, and SLDR S and C, and dabbled in the Mini-driver craze, to stem the bleeding. They have the M-series now (which seems like what the SLDR 460 should have been). Me? I've gone back to Callaway. Thanks for listening. Tucsonsean.

This isn't much of a support group, so this is probably my last SLDR Anonymous meeting...Tucsonsean.

Though you don't seem to appreciate it, several sincere suggestions were made in an effort to help you, which you have thus far ignored.

A Golf Opinion Forum Thread like this isn't exactly 'Group Therapy' if that is what you were expecting. I know you said you needed an 'intervention' in post #63, and while other posters here can sympathize with your SLDR concerns, this thread will never be the kind of 'intervention' you seem to need.

I think most of us 'get it' that you are 'upset' with Taylormade for having the 'gall' to promote a Driver that doesn't work for you!

Sorry for your suffering, but geez man, it's time to just 'get over it' already!.. :cry:

I need an intervention. Hi, my name is Tucsonsean, the SLDR is a bad club for most recreational golfers, and TM should be ashamed for the ad campaign with which they promoted it. Thanks for listening.

TM should be 'ashamed' for the ad campaign promoting it?...Really?...

This isn't much of a support group, so this is probably my last SLDR Anonymous meeting...Tucsonsean.

Several sincere suggestions were made in previous posts in an effort to help you, (which you ignored).

A Golf Opinion Forum Thread like this isn't exactly 'Group Therapy' if that is what you were expecting. I know you said you needed an 'intervention' in post #63, and while other posters here can sympathize with your SLDR concerns, this thread will never be the kind of 'intervention' you seem to need.

I think most of us 'get it' that you are 'upset' with Taylormade for having the 'gall' to promote a Driver that doesn't work for you!

Sorry for your suffering, but geez man, it's time to just 'get over it' already!.. :cry:

Geez, back at ya, Bobcat. That was tongue in cheek (you know, humor?). But, seriously, I appreciate all the intervention provided, and am left with the impression that Taylormade should replace some of their engineers with some of the knowledgeable WRXers who contribute here. And Adidas might be having an easier time finding a buyer for their golf division (and their golf division might be more profitable) if they developed products more user-friendly for the general golfing public with a limited budget and more modest skills. (The ideal solution would have been to launch the SLDR-C at the same time as the SLDR 460.) What is the point in developing the longest (and most expensive) driver in golf if only 10% of the golfing public can profit from that distance without altering the club in some, sometimes drastic way. (How difficult would it have been to beta-test the club with golfers from 0 to 18 handicaps?) I never said the SLDR 460 was a bad club; that would be like an alchoholic blaming booze for their addiction. And frankly, this thread veered far away from the OP's message, to a discussion more appropriate for the "What's Wrong with the SLDR" thread. My final comment isn't directed at you, Bobcat; I've always appreciated the time, detail, and helpful intentions of your posts. Some of the "indian not the arrow" posters seem to disparage us 'average joe,' 'play once a week (if that),' higher handicap, limited resources golfers. We know our limitations; we read WRX, not because we're the cognoscenti, but because we know we are not, and we rely on the information you can provide. Be kinder.

I never said the SLDR 460 was a bad club; that would be like an alchoholic blaming booze for their addiction.

Actually you did say that in the very first post you made in this thread, (see the quote in Post #108 above). However, it doesn't matter much since others here have said essentially the very same thing.

The original SLDR isn't a driver that fits everyone, but virtually all golf brands have introduced drivers intended for specific categories, (i.e. Better Players, Game Improvement, and Super Game Improvement). While the SLDR was not the best driver for you, why blame TM for having promoted it at this point? It was in their business interests to do exactly that, and the SLDR was the most popular club on the PGA Tour for several years. Of course they would promote it and I doubt the company feels any 'shame' for having done so! The SLDR was quite successful at Retail as well, (despite being a frequently returned item).

For the record, I don't think there is any driver category that is guaranteed to work for every 'average joe' out there, even the SGI models. At least we agree that TM has more forgiving drivers to choose from than your (original) SLDR, should you decide to try the brand again.

OK, that's it, I've had it. All for free speech, but wtf can we do with Bobcat? Is there a block option somewhere? If not I'm going to stop reading SLDR threads and switch to another driver.

Let me remind you of your earlier post which is quoted above jmilt12...

The response I gave you for that earlier post applies for your latest bipolar rant as well...

You really need to 'Get a Grip'..

Well, Gee Whiz!...Wonder what I did to deserve that particular nickname?... :taunt:

GREAT DRIVER!

I never said the SLDR 460 was a bad club; that would be like an alchoholic blaming booze for their addiction.

Actually you did say that in the very first post you made in this thread, (see the quote in Post #108 above). However, it doesn't matter much since others here have said essentially the very same thing.

The original SLDR isn't a driver that fits everyone, but virtually all golf brands have introduced drivers intended for specific categories, (i.e. Better Players, Game Improvement, and Super Game Improvement). While the SLDR was not the best driver for you, why blame TM for having promoted it at this point? It was in their business interests to do exactly that, and the SLDR was the most popular club on the PGA Tour for several years. Of course they would promote it and I doubt the company feels any 'shame' for having done so! The SLDR was quite successful at Retail as well, (despite being a frequently returned item).

For the record, I don't think there is any driver category that is guaranteed to work for every 'average joe' out there, even the SGI models. At least we agree that TM has more forgiving drivers to choose from than your (original) SLDR, should you decide to try the brand again.

..."bad club FOR MOST RECREATIONAL GOLFERS..." was the original quote, and I still believe it is. There's been ample testimonials here from better golfers that it's a great club--for them. And of course pros loved it; they have 115+ mph SS and 170+ mph ball speeds, and they hit it on the sweet spot almost every time--and they have contracts that get them the club for free, and it's usually not the same club sold in retail outlets (it's the 'tour model' so beloved here at WRX). And if that one isn't right, a pro has factory technicians to tweek it for him/her. Also, if an item is "frequently returned," it's not a sign of success in the marketplace. I know factory reps troll websites like this. Threads like this one, and "What's wrong with the SLDR" have to make an impression. I don't expect 'shame' from any business. But Taylormade marketed this club to the masses, I suspect, because the revenue from the niche it was suitable for wouldn't have justified the R&D that went into developing it. BTW, Bobcat, I did go out and hit the SLDR C. Whatever else we disagree on, it really should have been the SLDR for the rest of us.

BTW, Bobcat, I did go out and hit the SLDR C. Whatever else we disagree on, it really should have been the SLDR for the rest of us.

So you now understand the considerable differences in forgiveness and consistency!.. :yes:

While your "SLDR for the rest of us" comment above rings true, I would go farther and suggest that the vast majority of SLDR users would be much better off playing the 2015 SLDR-C Driver, than to continue using one of the (original) 2013-2014 SLDR models. I believe the vast majority would see their average driving distances increase due to consistently solid strikes, along with a corresponding rise in the percentage of fairways hit due to the SLDR-C's increased accuracy.

That said, those with higher swing speeds might well need a shaft upgrade, just as I did... (cool)

I prefer this shaft for mine!...

However, when it comes to the shaft, YMMV applies!...So Get Fitted!.. :beruo:

SLDR-C (CLASSIC) DRIVER

Wow guys. I have to admit that I haven't been on WRX much as of late due to some difficult circumstances in my life. And of all places in the cosmic world, I find myself posting in a dang SLDR forum.

First I must give my true disdain for the hideously designed and marketed SLDR. I believe it's the actual root of my club ho'ing. It spawned my TM negativity as well. I owned 4 of the heads, the last being a white tour issue that I still yearn for and wake up some nights in a pool of sweat thinking about. The first 3, wow. Hot steaming garbage. Like everyone else, I hit the shot like once every 20 swings that kept me addicted. I fell more in love with the vision of it than the actual driver. I have always been an extreme hi spin hi launch hitter with 105-110 SS at the time. I thought it would cure all that ailed me. And when I hit that occasional perfect shot it did. I went on a spree of 13 shafts and 3 heads, convinced that I had somehow gotten a bad one each time. Lol.

Then I went against all good sense and spent $550 on a white tour issue one. Not just any tour issue but a 7.8* one that should have been the least forgiving driver since Francis Ouimet played. But it wasn't. It was a literal gift from the Gods for my perseverance and steadfastness. I hit it so far that I got bored of hitting far. Well, for just over 2 weeks that is. Until some mouth breather decided it be a good idea to steal it from my bag, along with a spare Kiyoshi I had for it. So they got me for the tour head and 2 high dollar shafts. I wanted to cry. And I just gave up on ever finding that combo again.

I say all this to thank you all for the funny stories and experiences. I knew there were problems with this driver for the everyman, but didn't know how deep they went. I am a club builder and fitter so I let the thought of what that beast should have been dominate me for a while. Then I realized that I am too lazy to completely overhaul my swing and will just live with the consequences for now. I appreciate the good read. I swear I haven't even thought about a Slider for years until now. And in all it's misery, it was a welcome retreat from what has been consuming me lately. My condolences and at the same time, thanks!

[size=3][i][b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Today's Junk...[/font][/b][/i]

[color=#B22222][b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Driver: [/font][/b][/color][color=#696969][b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Callaway Epic Subzero: [/font][/b][/color][color=#000000][b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Grandura 510[/font][/b][/color]
[color=#B22222][b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Woods:[/font][/b][/color][color=#696969][b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif] Callaway Epic: [/font][/b][/color][color=#000000][b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Kiyoshi Purple[/font][/b][/color]
[color=#B22222][b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Irons: [/font][/b][/color][color=#696969][b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Callaway Japan Legacy Forged[/font][/b][/color][color=#696969][b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]: [/font][/b][/color][color=#000000][b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Recoil Proto[/font][/b][/color]
[color=#B22222][b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Wedges: [/font][/b][/color][color=#696969][b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Callaway MD PM Grind[/font][/b][/color][color=#696969][b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]: [/font][/b][/color][color=#000000][b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Recoil Proto[/font][/b][/color]
[color=#B22222][b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Putter: [/font][/b][/color][color=#696969][b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Black Lab BL-1: [/font][/b][/color][color=#000000][b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Fuji Ferrari[/font][/b][/color]
[color=#B22222][b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Bag: [/font][/b][/color][color=#4b0082][b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]BMW Motorsports Caddy Bag[/font][/b][/color]
[color=#B22222][b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Ball: [/font][/b][/color][color=#4b0082][b][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Chromesoft[/font][/b][/color][/size]

Try a Big Bertha Alpha 815 bro. Longest and Most Forgiving Driver I've EVER hit!! I dumped my SLDR for it and couldn't be happier :)

we play the exact same drive. youre right, best ever.

Mavrik 9* set -1 w/ Ventus Black 6tx

Mavrik SZ 15 w/ Rouge 80x tipped 1"

Miz H4 2 iron ctaper 130x

TM TP MB 06' PX 7.0 4-pw

TM Hi-Toe 52* c taper 130x

Miz T22 Raw 56* KBS 130x

Miz T22 Raw 60* KBS 130x

Odyssey Metal X Milled #1  34"

-Prov1x left dash

I had a short honeymoon with a SLDR 12* last year, but quickly learned how punitive it could be and quickly switched to a Jetspeed but kept the Speeder 57 shaft. That was a solid combo and I've tried several others since but nothing has beat it... I'm still regretting passing it along to my brother and may try to recreate it.

That said, I just picked up a SLDR-S Mini TP 12* in a trade... I can feel that the Speeder 62 Stiff TP shaft is a bit stiff for me but, regardless, I'm only loosing about 5-10 yards to my driver and it has a much more compact dispersion. Right now it's in my backup/walking bag but I can definitely see myself moving it to the main bag for tight courses or other general times I know the driver isn't reliable. Also thinking about putting a ProLaunch Axis Blue Stiff in it, but not sure if I want to risk making a change if it's working well now.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

I have to admit that I might be playing the most cheap, commercial, and lightest driver known to man. I spent thousands of bucks trying the newest of drivers for past several years. I gave each of them a good trail run and tried hard to find reasons to keep everyone one of them. Then it happened... Golfsmith was having a going out of business sake and I stopped and got on their simulator and grabbed a random club without really looking at it and sat there for almost 30 minutes crushing balls dead center and longer than I ever have. I looked at the club and i began to laugh, SLDR-C I said, what the hell is this thing???...never heard of it. Long story cut short, bought brand new for 70 bucks and have been crushing it for 7 months now. I keep trying to put the latest and greatest in the bag, but nothing can beat this thing out of my bag, it's crazy. Don't get me wrong, I've spent a fortune on my woods and irons, but this driver might be best bang for the buck I've ever bought for golf. I know I will get dogged every time people see the club, but that usually stops about 3rd hole. Anyways, i will not be getting rid of my cheap (but great) driver. Best money ever spent.

You are 100% correct in your assessment!..As I have often said, there is no direct relationship between price and driver performance! Furthermore, 'simple' often works better than 'complex'. I've been playing the SLDR-C Driver since it was announced in mid-2015 with a custom shaft that I was fitted for. It's a great clubhead that offers distance, accuracy, and forgiveness! It's best to ignore negative comments from the 'clueless, because their 'uninformed opinions' are based solely on price. The SLDR-C Driver performs extremely well, and it deserves a lot more credit than it gets! As you pointed out, the latest, and more expensive), isn't necessarily the greatest. Once you actually play the SLDR-C Driver, you learn that truth!.. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your post!.. :good:

You know, it's against forum rules to have multiple accounts.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013