SLDR Anonymous Meeting

Medic

Played the SLDR Driver and Irons. The Driver lasted 1-1/2 years in my bag. Until the R-15 came out.

The SLDR Irons were way better than the Driver. I just replaced the SLDR Irons with Callaway Apex CF16s a month ago.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

You know, it's against forum rules to have multiple accounts. :WTF: :offtopic2:

Heaven Forbid! Are you suggesting there is, (or was), more than just one of YOU, 'chickenpotpie'?... :swoon:

'off topic' [/b]post will have you eating 'CROW' now, rather another 'chickenpotpie'... :taunt:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

Reg1900, You may have just setback many of us SLDR addicts in our recovery! As I read your reply to his thread I started thinking about dusting off my beloved SLDR getting out the hacksaw and ordering a 10 gram weight! I started dreaming of that low bullet trajectory in mid summer that would roll out 50 yards! Curse you! Thought I had gotten past this very dark place in my life. :-)

Reg1900, You may have just setback many of us SLDR addicts in our recovery! As I read your reply to his thread I started thinking about dusting off my beloved SLDR getting out the hacksaw and ordering a 10 gram weight! I started dreaming of that low bullet trajectory in mid summer that would roll out 50 yards! Curse you! Thought I had gotten past this very dark place in my life. :-)

Get a hold of yourself, BLPLCE! We're here for you. Repeat after me: We're not equipment engineers. It's not our jobs to clean up Taylormade's mistakes. We shouldn't have to modify a $400 driver. Now put down the hacksaw, and put the SLDR back in the closet where it belongs.

Get a hold of yourself, BLPLCE! We're here for you. Repeat after me: We're not equipment engineers. It's not our jobs to clean up Taylormade's mistakes. We shouldn't have to modify a $400 driver. Now put down the hacksaw, and put the SLDR back in the closet where it belongs.

Thats what all drivers are now days with all the adjustability. The fact that you can tinker makes it appealing as your swing doesn't stay the same every season, so a bit of ability to modify is a good thing.

When I was fitted to my SLDR, the fitter cut down the shaft shorter than I had ever played. We all know the deal with shorter shafts, and with SLDRs more sweetspot hitting is a good thing.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

DON'T CUT THE SHAFT, because shaft length is not responsible for the (original) SLDR's lack of forgiveness!

YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT POST #77 ON PAGE 3 IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO. It's a 'SLDR Fix' that actually works, because it addresses the 'core problem' with the original SLDR Driver...(an unbalanced, 'heel heavy' clubhead which causes the clubface to close down as it enters the impact zone)...

You really need to read that post!.. :read:...and look at the weighting illustrations shown there to fix the SLDR's inherent 'heel heavy' problem! THIS FIX REALLY WORKS!

:golfer:

Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts

I'm late to the club. I just purchased my SLDR in November. Got about 10-15 rounds on it now!

CEPTgdc.jpg

SLDR Japan Issue, TP 430cc head with a Graphite Design Tour AD MT-6s shaft. I have no idea where the "SLDR is the least forgiving driver" came from, because this thing has been the easiest club I've ever taken off the tee. Went from my R7, hitting 30-35% fairways averaging 230 yard drives....to over 50% fairways and 260 yard drives! I might be upgrading to a 2017 M1 440cc driver...but honestly, after hitting both on a Trackman recently, they are VERY on par with one another.

NEWSFLASH!

The 'SLDR FIX INSTRUCTIONS' for the (original) SLDR Driver's infamous 'low hook miss' problem', has been edited for clarity, and further updated with additional details along with additional illustrations, and pics. For those of you needing help with your errant SLDR Driver, I can't make 'the fix' any clearer than I have in Post #77 folks!.. :help:

If you will simply take the time to read and follow the instructions carefully, you can FINALLY SAY GOODBYE TO THOSE DREADED 'LOW HOOK MISS' CONSISTENCY ISSUES so common to the original SLDR 460 and 430 Drivers!... :wave:

THE UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS ARE CONTAINED IN POST #77 ON PAGE 3 OF THIS THREAD!.. :read:

I URGE YOU TO READ THAT POST AND PERFORM THE 'SLDR FIX!... :good:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE; This is a simple and low cost 'fix' that really works! I urge you to try this before completely giving up on your 2013-2014 SLDR DRIVER due to consistency issues... :rolleyes:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOU'LL BE AMAZED BY THE DIFFERENCE THIS 'FIX' MAKES IN THE SLDR DRIVER!.. :swoon:

...AND ONCE YOU'VE PERFORMED 'THE FIX', YOU'LL BE SO GLAD YOU DID!.. :yes:

Bought a used SLDR for cheap late 2015. gamed it for the rest of that year and 2016. Hit some bombs with it, but could never get really consistent with it. Was consistent with a hook a my miss though (haha) After flip flopping whether to buy an 2k16 M1 (whenever a local shop here would have it on sale) I bit the bullet late 2016 and bought a very lightly used one and have not looked back since.

I played the SLDR 430 for the last 2 years. Just bought a 2016 M1 460 head and I'm giving that a try. Played it this past weekend and it felt longer and definitely more forgiving. The SLDR was a nice step up from what I had been using previously, but I think it's been passed up big time by newer tech. M1 is likely sticking in the bag.

Update: M1 is locked in the bag. Every drive feels impeccable and dispersion is much tighter. Keeping my SLDR 2h in the bag, though, so I can still come to group meetings.

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

Due to this and other threads re: original sldr, the price for a sldr c at Global Golf (and other Internet retailers) just jumped from $69 to $99. (Thanks a lot, Bobcat. :angry22: ) But if you still want to try one on the cheap, I just got one from TaylorMadepreowned (designated "arp"--basically new/old stock returned from a retailer), with new head cover, in mint condition for $59. Granted, it's 12* with an M-flex shaft, but that's not a bad thing for a 68-yr-old with a ss south of 95 like me. And you can see from these stats why my relationship with the original SLDR 460 was doomed from the start.

Due to this and other threads re: original SLDR, the price for a SLDR-C at Global Golf (and other Internet retailers) just jumped from $69 to $99.... (Thanks a lot, Bobcat).. :)

However, if you still want to try one on the cheap, I just got one from TaylorMade's site (designated "arp"--basically new/old stock returned from a retailer), with new head cover, in mint condition for $59.

You're quite welcome tucsonsean!...Enjoy it!..

The "thank you" was sarcasm for your driving the price up, Bobcat. But, after hitting it on the lm, I do think I'll enjoy it more than the SLDR 460. Original SLDR update: I used it in my club's Low Net comp this past weekend (they make me play back and it's a desert course with more than a few forced carries). Result? A lovely 98, despite outdriving my group on three holes, and a number of pars. The big numbers came off the tee. Should have taken my old Ping Tisi Tec. Can't wait till the SLDR-C gets here.

The "thank you" was sarcasm because you are driving the price up Bobcat. But, after hitting it on the launch monitor, I do think I'll enjoy it more than the SLDR 460. Original SLDR update: I used it in my club's Low Net comp this past weekend (they make me play back and it's a desert course with more than a few forced carries). Result? A lovely 98, despite outdriving my group on three holes, and a number of pars. The big numbers came off the tee. Should have taken my old Ping Tisi Tec. Can't wait till the SLDR-C gets here!.

Wow!..I suppose I should feel quite 'flattered' that you believe I actually influence market prices for the SLDR-C Driver, but obviously that line of thinking is not based on any reality!.. :taunt:

Again tucsonsean...Do enjoy your new SLDR-C Driver!.. :good:

I'm about to make my second exit from the SLDR club and sell my 12* SLDR Mini TP Speeder 7.3 Stiff... if anyone is interested, PM me.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

Just an update: I finally got the SLDR-C. With the current sale, it was only $55 from Taylormadepreowned. I got it this morning. Better than "mint," it was brand-new (no "demo" or "arp" designation), the head still shrink-wrapped. It included a new head cover, which I kinda like--mostly knit and a little retro. (I have to say, the bottom does look a little cheap, but at address, it reminds me of an old R580XD.) Anyway, I took it out to the course for a quick nine this afternoon, and didn't even hit it on the range first. It's as long as the original SLDR when hit on center; when hit off-center, it's far longer than the original. And it's very straight. I hit 7 of 7 fairways today--the first time I could say that since I got the original SLDR for Xmas back in 2014. And not a whiff of the 'left miss.' I'm an old guy (68) with a slow swing speed (@87 mph), so I got the 12* with an M-flex, but the flight is piercing/medium high. And I actually like the SLDR-57 shaft. Does Bobcat get carried away when talking about the SLDR-C? Uh, yeah. Is he right about this club? I think he is. How would a low-capper fare with this club? If he or she can handle the SLDR 460, they'd tear it up with the SLDR-C. Guess I don't need these meetings anymore.

Unlike the original SLDR's, there is no need to 'loft up' with the SLDR-C Driver. While I certainly needed a 12* loft for the original SLDR 430, I was able to return to my 'normal' 9.5* loft with the SLDR-C, because, unlike the original SLDR, the redesigned-for-2015 SLDR-C Driver plays true to its stated loft... :yes:

Why is it so different in that regard? Because the 2015 SLDR-C is an entirely new, (differently weighted and shaped), SLDR clubhead. It is NOT simply a 'sliderless' original SLDR as some people here seem to think, so don't believe their misinformation about this driver!.. :stop:

My advice is this: If you decide to test the SLDR-C Driver...TRY THE 9.5* LOFT FIRST!.. :good:

THERE IS NO REASON TO EVEN THINK ABOUT 'LOFTING UP' WITH THE 2015 SLDR-C DRIVER.. :swoon:

Forget what I said earlier. I put the SLDR 430 (JDM) 10* lofted up to 11* with a TP6HD-X @ 44.5". I hit 9/12 fairways and 288.8 average. I had one bad miss (blocked right) but the other two misses were due to being too long and running through the fairway on a dogleg. The respite may be temporary but I can honestly say this is longer than my M1 430 and quite frankly, longer than any other T-M driver I've tried (and I've tried 'em all since the 580 in various forms). This driver requires your full attention every time you pull it from the bag. But it will reward you with the sweetest sound and longest drives of your life if you put your best effort into it.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

The respite may be temporary but I can honestly say this is longer than my M1 430 and quite frankly, longer than any other T-M driver I've tried (and I've tried 'em all since the 580 in various forms). This driver requires your full attention every time you pull it from the bag.

Apply the 'SLDR HOME FIX' recommended in this thread and you won't have to work so hard to make it behave. Best of all, by resolving the true cause of its 'temperamental nature', the SLDR Driver will be more likely to stay in your bag much longer than in the past! 'The Fix' is inexpensive and yes, it really works!.. :yahoo:

(See Post #77 on Page 3 of this thread for the SLDR 'FIX')

• 3 weeks later...

If you want the SLDR to go straight do what I did. Cut it down to 44", to offset the swingweight buy a 10g weight off eBay and put it all the way to the draw position, the original 20g weight all the way to the fade position.

Greatly increases forgiveness, I've had a few rank toe hits go as far as centre hits

This is essentially what I did. I like a shorter shaft so me cutting it to 44 had nothing to do with the SLDR itself, but I did pick up a second weight and have both in the fade spot and its working pretty well.

Don't cut the shaft, because shaft length is not responsible for the (original) SLDR's lack of forgiveness!

YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT POST #77 ON PAGE 3 IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO. It's a 'SLDR Fix' that actually works, because it addresses the 'core problem' with the original SLDR Driver...(an unbalanced, 'heel heavy' clubhead which causes the clubface to close down as it enters the impact zone)...

You really need to read that post!.. :read:...and look at the weighting illustrations shown there to fix the SLDR's inherent 'heel heavy' problem! THIS FIX REALLY WORKS!

Some people just like a shorter shaft period

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I did Bob and it works very well! :good:

:drinks:

Thanks so much for your feedback nitram!... :) ...Hopefully your experience will inspire other original SLDR users to apply 'THE FIX' as well, because as you found out, it really works!... :yes:

FOR THOSE OF YOU 'ON THE FENCE' ABOUT THIS....CAN YOU SPOT THE (2) STRATEGIC LOCATIONS IN THE ABOVE PIC WHERE TUNGSTEN WEIGHTS WERE ADDED?

(SEE POST #77 ON PAGE 3 OF THIS THREAD FOR FULL DETAILS ON HOW TO APPLY 'THE SLDR FIX')

After 3 poor driving seasons with the SLDR 430, I'm done with it. I have to assume I received a really poor fitting. The 430 with a TP shaft set and cranked down to 7.5º is way too much club for a 20-25 handicapper with a SS between 100-110 mph. I had another fitter shorten the shaft and set the loft up to 10.25º, but the 235 average carry and 20% FIR has me looking elsewhere.

Would a Jetspeed be too similar or should I go an extremely different route with the Ping G line? Or maybe in between with a Srixon Z545?

After 3 poor driving seasons with the SLDR 430, I'm done with it. I have to assume I received a really poor fitting. The 430 with a TP shaft set and cranked down to 7.5º is way too much club for a 20-25 handicapper with a SS between 100-110 mph. I had another fitter shorten the shaft and set the loft up to 10.25º, but the 235 average carry and 20% FIR has me looking elsewhere.

Would a Jetspeed be too similar or should I go an extremely different route with the Ping G line? Or maybe in between with a Srixon Z545?

go to the g line. G30 is still a classic and was better than the G for me. cheaper too.

Who the heck fit you in to a 7.5 degree SLDR?

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple