2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

TESTING: Official Ben Hogan FT. WORTH 15 Irons Member Review Thread

The wedges are great. I think I said it before on here that I altered the lengths to match my MD2's and to make the distance gaps a little bigger. Great feel and look to them.

BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5 Fubuki Alpha 50X
X2 Hot 2 Deep Fubuki K 70 X
Callaway Steelhead XR Tensei Blue 75 X
Adams Super LS 17 & 19 Kuro Kage 80 X
Callaway X Forged Utility 21 KBS Tour V X
Callaway Apex MB 18 4-PW KBS Tour V X
Callaway MD2 52 58 KBS Tour X
Odyssey Versa Tank 7
Srixon Z Star
Garmin G5 Bushnell X7

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear on the wedges. I bought one of the first sets back in March (20,24,28,32,36,40,44,48,52). I opted not to replace two brand new wedges I had just put in my bag, but I've regretted that ever since.

I absolutely love these irons. The way the sole cuts through the divot is pretty unique and the degree gaps have made a real difference in my game from 110-180 yards. That, and I haven't found a more beautiful golf iron. They look fantastic.

Handicap is at an all-time low, and it'd be even lower if some jackwagon didn't turn in two cards from back in April without a date on them.

Guys

i stoked the Fedex guy came today ! and look what he delivered !

Ecstatic and the quality of the build on these things !

Tomorrow first range session !

Cheers

[attachment=2937512:IMG_0821.jpg]

[attachment=2937514:IMG_0822.jpg]

[attachment=2937516:IMG_0823.jpg]

TM M3 440 9" Degree / 661 111 in X spec Speeder Shaft
TM M3 15 Fairway / 757 Speeder Shaft S Spec
Ping G25 17deg Hybrid Accra Shaft X Spec
Mizuno MP18 Blades Modus 3 Tours 3-PW - S Flex
Titleist SM 6 50, 54 & 58
Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour only

Those irons look alot like my irons.........and wedges

Odyssey Versa Tank 7
Srixon Z Star
Garmin G5 Bushnell X7

[quote name='JohnSimon' timestamp='1441283674' post='12256224']
Those irons look alot like my irons.........and wedges
[/quote]

@JohnSimon,

Mate theyd have too be the nicest looking irons i've ever held in my hands let alone in the address position ! cant wait for saturday ! the build quality is priceless !

[quote name='JORDANF1' timestamp='1441275642' post='12255838']
Guys

i stoked the Fedex guy came today ! and look what he delivered !

Ecstatic and the quality of the build on these things !

Tomorrow first range session !

Cheers

[attachment=2937512:IMG_0821.jpg]

[attachment=2937514:IMG_0822.jpg]

[attachment=2937516:IMG_0823.jpg]
[/quote]

Prepare to be blown away by the ease of hitting! They just flat out perform!!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

I agree on easy to hit, but I still recommend hitting them in the middle of the face. They perform even better when that is done.

Odyssey Versa Tank 7
Srixon Z Star
Garmin G5 Bushnell X7

[quote name='JohnSimon' timestamp='1441294748' post='12257134']
I agree on easy to hit, but I still recommend hitting them in the middle of the face. They perform even better when that is done.
[/quote]

I have found that I also get better results as a whole when hit in the center also...amazing coincidence!!

Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Slothead' timestamp='1441299137' post='12257578']
whoa! great pics. the decision for me has come down to either saving a marriage, or new Ben Hogan irons...... how much is shipping again. :beach:
[/quote]

I was very lucky as it was a family Birthday present from everyone :)

[quote name='JORDANF1' timestamp='1441317079' post='12259462']
whoa! great pics. the decision for me has come down to either saving a marriage, or new Ben Hogan irons...... how much is shipping again. :beach:
[/quote]

[/quote]

Nice present!! Any range time yet??

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

I think these clubs are missing one option, you should be able to request a number engraved into the sole of each club. That would be along with the loft spec.

:):)

I guess any engraving shop could do that...or even some paint that would wash off is another option. I like the idea, but picture myself scratching my head looking at a bag full of double digit numbers trying to pull a club...

[quote name='Wknd_Warrior' timestamp='1441333241' post='12260810']
I think these clubs are missing one option, you should be able to request a number engraved into the sole of each club. That would be along with the loft spec.

:):)

I guess any engraving shop could do that...or even some paint that would wash off is another option. I like the idea, but picture myself scratching my head looking at a bag full of double digit numbers trying to pull a club...
[/quote]it's not that bad....you get used to it very quickly....and alot of company's have done this in past....

People also usually assemble their clubs a certain way in their bags and that makes it even easier....

Seriously maybe 5 rounds at most....pick a middle iron and work your way down or up

Wedges don't have numbers and no one has issues with that....

I actually like it better than numbers and I don't even own a set....

Think the whole point is to educate people on lofts rather than numbers...hitting a certain loft is easier than hitting a bunch of 7 irons from different companys....and it's what matters most too....really dialing in your ydgs

My buddy just picked up a set of titleist DCI'S from God knows when and they have loft stamped on sole

The people that are scared about loft instead of the number are ones who need the loft on their club the most....these are the guys that don't really know what loft their irons are and aren't as keen on hitting certain ydgs with each club...heck, most people's clubs aren't even to spec anyway so they have no idea how far they hit it....being educated and really dialing in your equipment is crucial for hitting shots close to pins consistently....and this is one step in that direction....

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1441329030' post='12260472']
[quote name='JORDANF1' timestamp='1441317079' post='12259462']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Nice present!! Any range time yet??
[/quote]

Guys

Best range session ive every had ! spent 2 hours hitting all of them all i can is WOW !

1. Low mid trajectory
2. Turf interaction is nothing short of devine
3. Ball flight just as i want it
4. Long irons off tee's fantastic
5. The angle of the sole glides through turn like a scalpel ! Period !
6. Lofts are perfect for my game !
7. Issues with lofts instead of numbers ? nah too easy to work out !

The only thing i can say is don't be tempted to belt or over swing these things ! just swing normal and the result is quality ball flight Are these forgiving YES absolutely yes they are !

At address magnificent too look at, they make you want to hit them ! Small heads, make hitting the center so much easier ! My only change i will make is the grips, i use NO1 grips and will get them on asap.

Very very happy with Hogan golf ! So impressed

Cheers

Well, I've played 11 rounds with the Hogans and they are still in the bag, and won't be going anywhere for a long time. I really do like everything about these irons, the look, the sound, the impact, it's all great. I've been playing some of the best golf of my life in the past 2 months and I would say part of it is because of the tighter dispersion and the consistency I've found with the Hogans. They are wearing very well, also. Nothing but some normal bag chatter. The finish on these irons still look great. Looking forward to many more rounds with these in the bag.

My Hogans have been in my bag for 2+ months now and I would echo the sentiments that these clubs are not hard to hit. For example, My 28 degree Hogan is easier for me to hit than my Ping Anser 6 Iron ever was.

They feel incredible. My turf interaction has never been better and I really think the V-sole is the perfect, most versatile sole I've come across.

Yeah, they look like blades, but I think there's really some serious technology that went in to the design.

[quote name='HoganHO' timestamp='1441465723' post='12267664']
My Hogans have been in my bag for 2+ months now and I would echo the sentiments that these clubs are not hard to hit. For example, My 28 degree Hogan is easier for me to hit than my Ping Anser 6 Iron ever was.

They feel incredible. My turf interaction has never been better and I really think the V-sole is the perfect, most versatile sole I've come across.

Yeah, they look like blades, but I think there's really some serious technology that went in to the design.
[/quote]

The biggest fundamental thing ive noticed is the V sole ! .... thats a game changer for me !

Played yesterday and shot 41-38. Hogans were very solid again proving they could be the gamer set with no issue. Unfortunately I play a couple of sets..but to be honest they will be in the rotation without any hesitation. And when the game is shakey they will get the call since they are the most forgiving set I currently own.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1441547965' post='12271432']
Played yesterday and shot 41-38. Hogans were very solid again proving they could be the gamer set with no issue. Unfortunately I play a couple of sets..but to be honest they will be in the rotation without any hesitation. And when the game is shakey they will get the call since they are the most forgiving set I currently own.
[/quote]

I like that word usage. UNFORTUNATELY I own multiple sets of irons. Don't worry, one of these days you'll catch a break.

Odyssey Versa Tank 7
Srixon Z Star
Garmin G5 Bushnell X7

Like a standard rotation. But more use if I am not playing my best..!!

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1441562480' post='12272164']
Like a standard rotation. But more use if I am not playing my best..!!
[/quote]

lets be honest they tighten your game up ! theyve tightened might right up too where i want it and its only been 2 rounds.

A lot of nice things being said about these irons/wedges, but for many of us, purchasing them without hitting them first is a big no no. Also, making sure one has the proper length, lie angle, swing weight, and shaft is critical, and given the cost of these irons/wedges that makes it even more so.

I like the idea, I like the look, I like what is being said, but no way would I ever purchase a set without testing them and being properly fit.

Not trying to rain on the parade here, but this is a big cash outlay.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1441615563' post='12274742']
A lot of nice things being said about these irons/wedges, but for many of us, purchasing them without hitting them first is a big no no. Also, making sure one has the proper length, lie angle, swing weight, and shaft is critical, and given the cost of these irons/wedges that makes it even more so.

I like the idea, I like the look, I like what is being said, but no way would I ever purchase a set without testing them and being properly fit.

[/quote]

Completely agree Sean, so it is a must to be able to find a dealer so all the experimentation with the clubs can begin. I know my specs, being 5' 10" and standard in about everything, so no
worries for me ordering after I test the fitting carts of any OEM. Obviously with Hogan, you have to find a green grass dealer or PGA SS that carries them to do that. It would be great to see at
least a Hogan cart with two lofts per iron( so 9 iron in 43 and 45 to really help with choosing the gaping , etc....hope that is in the future.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='HipCheck' timestamp='1437673869' post='12006866']
[attachment=2869736:TESTING_benhoganThread.jpg]

[color=#282828]While the GolfWRX staff strives to review the gear that matters most to you, we want your voice to be heard. GolfWRX was founded as a community and we like to give our members the opportunity to test the latest and greatest golf equipment.

Recently, GolfWRX members were given the opportunity to test Ben Hogan FT. WORTH 15 Irons and share their review with the GolfWRX community. They are:[/color]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/133339-jbuer/"]JBuer[/url]
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/292739-kiw1982/"]kiw1982[/url]
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/105250-dscvrr-st-louis/"]Dscvrr St Louis[/url]
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/128626-spurcell42/"]spurcell42[/url]
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/139589-johnsimon/"]JohnSimon[/url]
[url="http://http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/75633-cactusgolf/"]CactusGolf[/url]

[color=#282828]Members have started to receive their clubs and will post in this thread. Let's keep it clear until they begin posting.

Thanks![/color]
[/quote]

How does one become a club tester. I would be thrilled to get a chance to do that.

Thank you.

Pretty simple. There's giveaway and testers needed fairly often on here. Enter them, and then it's just random luck I assume. This was my first time winning, and I think the same for the rest other than stlouis. Pretty sweet. Here was the entry for the last one. click around on wrx and I'm sure there are a few giveaways going on right now.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1199578-apply-ben-hogan-ft-worth-irons-6-testers-wanted-apply-here/

Odyssey Versa Tank 7
Srixon Z Star
Garmin G5 Bushnell X7

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1441615563' post='12274742']

[/quote]

Absolutely agree.

Don't go buy these based on the way they look/other people's experiences. The end result you are looking for is what is best for your game. I think it'd be pretty crazy to drop nearly $2K without having hit these.

Having said that, I just ordered the wedges yesterday. Shot my career low (+5 77) with the irons playing a huge role yesterday, and I cannot wait to replace my wedges with the TK 15s. I have never felt comfortable hitting a 60*, so I've decided to put 3* gaps in my wedges (going to 52*,55*,58*) rather than 4*. Hitting a 56 3/4 to full has never been an issue for me, but I've never felt comfortable with the 60*. Hoping the 55*/58* will give me more options inside of 100 yards.

i agree it's crazy to drop that kind of cash before hitting them. But people do it. To some folks 2K is nothing. I think the idea behind the reviews is more to inspire people to consider these irons if they are in the market for a new set. From there it's up to the buyer. I think you will see more and more retailers, fitters, and pro shops carrying these as time goes on.

Odyssey Versa Tank 7
Srixon Z Star
Garmin G5 Bushnell X7

From the moment I heard about these irons I was interested in them. I don't really care that they are Hogan brand. My interest arose because I have played Scor wedges the last two seasons and I love the feel and performance of the wedges. I followed all the news on the irons from the PGA show in the spring and the subsequent reviews of the irons.

Nevertheless, I held off ordering them until August, when I visited Minneapolis (six hours away) and was able to hit the irons and get fitted for them at Second Swing golf. The fitting came out the same as I would have gotten from the HoganFit. Still, I was glad I waited and made sure the clubs were to my specifications. The clubs are expensive, and I wanted to make sure I got a set that would last me for years to come. (I don't change equipment very often).

The company does provide provide the three iron trial sets and a thirty day money back guarantee that may help those who are on the fence about ordering them. Still, I'm glad I waited and made sure to get a set optimized for me.

3 round played, 5th range session and these things just POP , for anyone considering these make sure you get fitted firt doesnt ahve too be these irons, any iron will do , too get the Lie angles and lengths done !

Another round coming up Friday !

:)

So I went online and did the fitting thing and it doesn't work..... You put I that you are fit to irons and then if they are std loft or weak or strong and it doesn't change the results on your current irons just changes the set output they give you. Also then says my gaps are not consistent because this feature doesn't work. But my biggest issue with the fitting system is that it says I have 6 clubs from 165 and in and I would benefit from having 7. So it spits out a set for me and it wants me to carry 15 clubs in my bag..... Ive heard of company's with non confirming balls, grooves and COR tested driver to help people improve but 15 clubs is a new one to me.

Hope they get their fitting system working properly.

ForTourUseOnly's WITB

Titleist TSR3 9 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60 TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80 TX

Titleist TSR1 20 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro White 100 HY TX

Titleist T200U 2i - 19° w/ Mitsubishi Chemical MMT UT Utility Iron 105 TX

Titleist T150 4i, T100 5i-9i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 47F, 51.5F, 56S, 60.05T w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Timeless 2.5 SSS Tourtype Prototype