2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

TESTING: Official Ben Hogan FT. WORTH 15 Irons Member Review Thread

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1438806681' post='12084900']
[quote name='JohnSimon' timestamp='1438610025' post='12069004']
First, I need to thank The Ben Hogan Company and Golfwrx for this opportunity. I have never won anything like this in my life and was absolutely ecstatic to receive the email that I was selected.

[b]About Me:[/b]
I’m 31 years old, 5’9”, a little pudgy. I’m a single digit handicap who has been playing since I was in elementary school. I worked in the golf industry for quite a few years while in college and even after. I worked for a big box golf store, was an assistant pro, and worked for a smaller retailer. I landed my dream job about 18 months ago, and left the golf industry full time. I still part time at a golf course nearby, just for the perks and a little more cash as I am getting married in a few months.
Anyway, I know quite a bit about equipment and fitting, and have hit pretty much every clubs that has been made in the last five years.

[b]My Set:[/b]
I got the high launch setup 23 27 31 35 39 43 47 and added a few wedges, 51 55 59 63. Specs are standard length, 2 flat, KBS Tour V X flex. I also (like an idiot) ordered them grips in box, so I couldn’t take them to the range immediately after getting them.

[b]First Impression:[/b]
As I stated above, I’m getting married shortly so one of my first thoughts when I was informed I was getting a set of these was, “what will I sell them for on the BST?” I can always use more cash to pay for the wedding. Well, that’s not happening. I’d rather cancel the wedding.
They are pretty much just a blade look at address. They all look pretty much the same to me. Some people maybe have a more keen eye for things like the leading edge being square to the groove or whatever, but pretty much all I notice is how much offset there is (not much) and how thin the topline is (quite thin).
Looking at the 23 is a little intimidating. But, I’m sure I can make due. As stated above I had to put the grips on myself, which I like to do, not sure why. Anyway, when I was squaring up the grips on each club, I was just amazed how square they sit when you “sole” them. And that is on a wood floor.

[b]First Swings[/b]
Finally returned from vacation last night and was able to get a bucket of range balls in before dark. I’d imagine everything I could say about these irons has been said, but it deserves to be repeated. They are just awesome. The soles feel like they just melt through the grass. The sole grind is a great fit for me as I have a tendency to get a little steep at times and catch things heavy.

[b]First Round[/b]
Coming up later this week. Not really sure what the yardages will be with each club. The 35 and lower will probably fall around where my current irons are. The question is what will happen with the long irons. The club lengths are a little different from a “normal” set with .5 inch increments through the set. I did a little comparison to my Cleveland 588’s and basically made a rough estimate of my yardages. The 23 is pretty much the length of my Callaway X Prototype 21 driving iron. The 27 is about the same length of my 4 iron. The 31 is the outlier, it’s basically between my 5 iron and 6 iron as far as length goes, so I’ll guess the yardage will be around there as well. 35 matches the 7, and the rest of the set flows with my current irons as well.
I’m really excited to set how this works out. I know the idea is to create consistent distance gaps through the set. If it doesn’t work out, I can always cut down an iron or two. BFD.
I may also end up doing some length adjusting with the wedges. But that is just to match them to my current wedges. Slap a little lead tape on them, and I’ll be good to go.

[b]Technology[/b]
As a former fitter, I love the idea of individual lofts. The options you have for set make up are pretty much endless. Not just with the irons, but how a player could change their whole set up.
I recall Ryan Moore playing irons only stamped with lofts a few years ago that were all 5 degree increments (20-60). That basically still gives a player a full set of irons, but with one fewer club, sure the distance gaps might be a bit larger, but a player could get used to it. So now a player has room for a mini driver type club, a chipper, super lob wedge, or whatever you desire.

[b]I’ll post a follow up after my round this week.[/b]
[/quote]

Random question...is your dream job an air traffic controller? Just thought I'd ask given your avatar.

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1438660430' post='12073958']
To be honest, I expected them to be harder to hit than they are, I expected them to be less forgiving...so much for expectations. I have already told my friends that have expressed interest to not hold their breath! I plan on keeping these, they will get a lot of play for quite a long time. I really like them and they flat out perform...period. I do feel you have to be an above average ball striker to get the most out of them, especially in the longer irons, but not an exceptional ball striker. Mainly a Callaway guy, but these are really amazing irons, enough so to make the rotation. If you can try them, you should, if you are looking for an exceptional set of irons to last many years, these could fit the bill. I can't think of anything I don't like at all about them. Looks, feel, feedback, forgiveness, distance, accuracy...all are excellent.
[/quote]

I think this is reason enough for Kadin to start thinking about an early fall golf outing. It'll give me a good excuse to go somewhere and hit your sticks.
[/quote]

Just come down to STL!! Only like 4 hours for you!!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's my current job.

BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5 Fubuki Alpha 50X
X2 Hot 2 Deep Fubuki K 70 X
Callaway Steelhead XR Tensei Blue 75 X
Adams Super LS 17 & 19 Kuro Kage 80 X
Callaway X Forged Utility 21 KBS Tour V X
Callaway Apex MB 18 4-PW KBS Tour V X
Callaway MD2 52 58 KBS Tour X
Odyssey Versa Tank 7
Srixon Z Star
Garmin G5 Bushnell X7

Guy's

i ordered my set last night as im in Australia, mine are coming with Nippon Modus Tours , was an upcharge but thats the shaft i was fitted to with my Apex Pros a year ago, ! So looking forward to having the Hogans in my bag

Cheers

TM M3 440 9" Degree / 661 111 in X spec Speeder Shaft
TM M3 15 Fairway / 757 Speeder Shaft S Spec
Ping G25 17deg Hybrid Accra Shaft X Spec
Mizuno MP18 Blades Modus 3 Tours 3-PW - S Flex
Titleist SM 6 50, 54 & 58
Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour only

[quote name='Rumpilla' timestamp='1438852066' post='12088022']
These look awesome and I wanna try them. Even though I know I shouldn't be playing that unforgiving of an iron :)
[/quote]

Try them. I think you'll realize they are not as unforgiving as you think. They are super forgiving!!!

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Adila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 Stiff

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 3 wood 16* - LinQ Purple 70 Stiff

Callaway Paradym 18/19* Hybrid  HZRDUS Smoke Gray 

Mizuno Pro 243 with modus 120S

Mizuno T24 50 and 56 S400
Bettinardi Queen B

[quote name='JORDANF1' timestamp='1438841850' post='12087834']
Guy's

i ordered my set last night as im in Australia, mine are coming with Nippon Modus Tours , was an upcharge but thats the shaft i was fitted to with my Apex Pros a year ago, ! So looking forward to having the Hogans in my bag

Cheers
[/quote]

Great to hear! You'll love them. At some point I may switch out the shafts to nipping but to be honest I am loving the Tour V right now. Getting great penetrating ball flight.

Bettinardi Queen B

First round with them last night. Very happy with them. I hit the driver in two hazards and OB once, so my score was pretty bad, but very happy with how I hit the irons. The 23 (longest iron I have) is a cannon. As Dscvr said a few times, they really are pretty forgiving. Obviously, they are not a g30 or anything like that, but they aren't super punishing when mishit slightly.

I think I actually like the wedges more than the irons. They appear to be pretty much the same design as the irons, but I do like how they go through the turf with the sole grind they have. The 5 wedge system is a great idea. Pretty much full swings can be done until I get inside 75 yards. If I need to get down to 14 clubs, the 63 comes out of the bag, but for now it's really fun to hit.

Note: As I said above, I refer to them all as wedges, and that can make for some fun conversation.

What did you hit?
My 27 degree wedge.

Short par 4 here. Just a wedge is needed from the tee and you can still have a wedge in.

235 to the green, you going for this par 5 in two?
Of course! I have a wedge in my hand.

These holes are all so short, I've had no more than a wedge in on every single hole.

Really kept me amused through the round.

Feel free to use those as your own.

Odyssey Versa Tank 7
Srixon Z Star
Garmin G5 Bushnell X7

Played again this morning and unfortunately I was not able to hit the mid and long irons all that much. My driver was so spot on I was hitting 45 and down into the greens. So all I can comment on is the short clubs. Anyway, these things do not disappoint. Each time out. I was striking the ball well today however I did catch a couple off the toe and my punishment was nothing to be honest. A bit shorter and to the right, nothing the 57 degree wedge couldn't handle in a chip shot.

In all honesty these Hogans are great and will be in my bag for some time now. I hope that people give them a chance and that the company continues to grow, they are on to something here and I for one am a believer.

Bettinardi Queen B

[quote name='Slothead' timestamp='1438894772' post='12091770']
loving this thread. anyone finding it hard to go by the lofts at first instead of an iron number?
[/quote]

Not at all. Gimmicky? Maybe, but there are a ton of us WRXers who were asking for the lofts on the clubs vs the number and they came through with it. Will it make it through to the next set? Who knows. Regardless of what number of type of number is on these clubs, these things perform. I am in LOVE!

Bettinardi Queen B

[quote name='JBuer' timestamp='1438862677' post='12088406']
[quote name='JORDANF1' timestamp='1438841850' post='12087834']
Guy's

Cheers
[/quote]

Great to hear! You'll love them. At some point I may switch out the shafts to nipping but to be honest I am loving the Tour V right now. Getting great penetrating ball flight.
[/quote]

I almost went the KBS V but my swing coach said stick with the NIppons as did Hogan themselves, i am pumped to play these !

loving this thread. anyone finding it hard to go by the lofts at first instead of an iron number?
[/quote]

Hogan is doing my Card in Meters :) makes it easy for me here in Australia

[/quote]
[quote name='JBuer' timestamp='1438862589' post='12088396']
[quote name='Rumpilla' timestamp='1438852066' post='12088022']
These look awesome and I wanna try them. Even though I know I shouldn't be playing that unforgiving of an iron :)
[/quote]

Try them. I think you'll realize they are not as unforgiving as you think. They are super forgiving!!!
[/quote]

We have a guy here in Australia at my Club who plays off 17 , ive never seen him hit the ball so well , DO NOT be AFRAID !

[quote name='JORDANF1' timestamp='1438906039' post='12092726'] [quote name='Slothead' timestamp='1438894772' post='12091770']
[/quote]

Hogan is doing my Card in Meters :) makes it easy for me here in Australia
[/quote]

That's awesome! Hogan has great customer service. Hope enjoy them!

9 holes tonight and shot 38. hit a lot of good shots with the Hogans, feeling very natural with them. Get a yardage and just swing. Shots from any lie, above feet, below feet, the sole design just excels at striking the ball. They really inspire confidence from address, not too small, not too big...all around great looking irons. Can't say enough good things, and not just because I got a set of irons, I am playing these...they will see a lot of bag time, impressed me from day one and continue to do so. Another round this weekend...more to come.

Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1438912277' post='12093320']
9 holes tonight and shot 38. hit a lot of good shots with the Hogans, feeling very natural with them. Get a yardage and just swing. Shots from any lie, above feet, below feet, the sole design just excels at striking the ball. They really inspire confidence from address, not too small, not too big...all around great looking irons. Can't say enough good things, and not just because I got a set of irons, I am playing these...they will see a lot of bag time, impressed me from day one and continue to do so. Another round this weekend...more to come.
[/quote]

Well said mate !

One more thing id like to add whilst i wait for shipping / builld of mine, ive compared the Apex Pro heads / ball size and the hogans are pretty match the same , so if any of you are playing the Apex Pro's fear not the hogans are a bee's wing smaller ! ive already hit my mates hogans and they are crisp, flawless, workable and IMHO super super forgiving ! hits in the heal will still go miles ! or meters as we call it here in OZ

[/quote]

It's a little different. I basically have to decided i need a 5 iron, then figure out which is the 5 iron. I'm sure I'll get used to it fairly quick, not worried about it.

Odyssey Versa Tank 7
Srixon Z Star
Garmin G5 Bushnell X7

As far as the lofts on the bottom vs a number. I play a 5 way divded bag, only three irons in each area, so not to hard to pull the right loft at all.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Bradcorn' timestamp='1437913821' post='12021278']
Interesting that you point that out as I recently had an iron hitting and had my lofts checked out...

My 56 scor wedge measured at 57 and my 60 scor wedge was 61.5
[/quote]lofts and lies are rarely correct with any manufacturer....I ordered or bought alot of sets last few years and not one was to spec........

[quote name='dunn' timestamp='1439000156' post='12099116']
[quote name='Bradcorn' timestamp='1437913821' post='12021278']
Interesting that you point that out as I recently had an iron hitting and had my lofts checked out...

My 56 scor wedge measured at 57 and my 60 scor wedge was 61.5
[/quote]lofts and lies are rarely correct with any manufacturer....I ordered or bought alot of sets last few years and not one was to spec........
[/quote]

Im fairly certain that hogan will get your lofts 100% correct mate :)

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1437821773' post='12017054']
I'm looking forward to seeing these reviews. I just completed my review for another site and I want to see if there experience mimick mine. I won't comment about my review of these just yet as I don't want to put any thoughts into the reviewers heads
[/quote]I will not say anything either I will wait too

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

[quote name='spurcell42' timestamp='1437696919' post='12009062']
[size=3]First of all, I just wanted to thank everyone at Ben Hogan Golf and WRX for such a great opportunity.[/size]

[size=3]A little about me... I'm a 23 year old grad student at Georgia. I've always been a lowish ball hitter and my driver swing speed is around 110. I've been around golf all my life and played all through high school. After I got into Georgia, I started playing pretty regularly because class wasn't always mandatory. Recently, I've gotten my handicap down from 2 to almost scratch. The Hogans will be my third set of blades, and I'm going to take some comparison pictures with my TaylorMade MBs, my current set. [/size][size=3]The set make up of my clubs are 23*, 27*, 31*, 35*, 39*, 43*, 47*, and 51*, standard loft and lie with KBS Tour 90 stiff shafts.[/size]

[size=3]So the irons came today and my first impression is pure class, from the clubs to the letter to the yardage chart, pure class. These irons are beautiful, like I'd be crazy to hit a club this beautiful, but it has to be done.[/size]

[attachment=2870364:IMG_20150723_132532135.jpg]
[attachment=2870408:IMG_20150723_132743262.jpg]
[attachment=2870414:IMG_20150723_132833807.jpg]

Comparison pictures:

5 iron
[attachment=2870430:IMG_20150723_173547643.jpg]
[attachment=2870426:IMG_20150723_173737562.jpg]
[attachment=2870432:IMG_20150723_174416497.jpg]

PW
[attachment=2870470:IMG_20150723_174233179.jpg]
[attachment=2870502:IMG_20150723_174259147.jpg]
[attachment=2870498:IMG_20150723_174320207.jpg]
[/quote]LOL your T Mag 5 iron looks about as beat up as my old 5 iron. You must be like me use it a lot to get out of trouble!

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1439024357' post='12100016']
[quote name='spurcell42' timestamp='1437696919' post='12009062']
[size=3]First of all, I just wanted to thank everyone at Ben Hogan Golf and WRX for such a great opportunity.[/size]

[size=3]A little about me... I'm a 23 year old grad student at Georgia. I've always been a lowish ball hitter and my driver swing speed is around 110. I've been around golf all my life and played all through high school. After I got into Georgia, I started playing pretty regularly because class wasn't always mandatory. Recently, I've gotten my handicap down from 2 to almost scratch. The Hogans will be my third set of blades, and I'm going to take some comparison pictures with my TaylorMade MBs, my current set. [/size][size=3]The set make up of my clubs are 23*, 27*, 31*, 35*, 39*, 43*, 47*, and 51*, standard loft and lie with KBS Tour 90 stiff shafts.[/size]

[size=3]So the irons came today and my first impression is pure class, from the clubs to the letter to the yardage chart, pure class. These irons are beautiful, like I'd be crazy to hit a club this beautiful, but it has to be done.[/size]

[attachment=2870364:IMG_20150723_132532135.jpg]
[attachment=2870408:IMG_20150723_132743262.jpg]
[attachment=2870414:IMG_20150723_132833807.jpg]

Comparison pictures:

5 iron
[attachment=2870430:IMG_20150723_173547643.jpg]
[attachment=2870426:IMG_20150723_173737562.jpg]
[attachment=2870432:IMG_20150723_174416497.jpg]

PW
[attachment=2870470:IMG_20150723_174233179.jpg]
[attachment=2870502:IMG_20150723_174259147.jpg]
[attachment=2870498:IMG_20150723_174320207.jpg]
[/quote]LOL your T Mag 5 iron looks about as beat up as my old 5 iron. You must be like me use it a lot to get out of trouble!
[/quote]

Hahaha. It was actually like that when I bought it, believe it or not. I still do my fair share of getting out of trouble, though.

So we have discussed how well they play and the forgiveness they offer. Anyone having any kind of finish issues?

IM NOT!!! Just curious how everyones are holding up. I ride and walk 50/50 so some basic bag chatter. which is of course expected from a forged club. I don't get a lot of range time as the ranges by me are all sandy and I can't stand the damage it does to ALL clubs.

Bettinardi Queen B

[quote name='JBuer' timestamp='1439078030' post='12102728']
So we have discussed how well they play and the forgiveness they offer. Anyone having any kind of finish issues?

IM NOT!!! Just curious how everyones are holding up. I ride and walk 50/50 so some basic bag chatter. which is of course expected from a forged club. I don't get a lot of range time as the ranges by me are all sandy and I can't stand the damage it does to ALL clubs.
[/quote]

Mine are great other than some minor bag chatter, but like you said, you expect it with a soft forging. The finish is perfect though. Even on the Bermuda fairways I play, there isn't hardly any scratching on the sole.

Got six to replace my completely worn Kenneth Smith Royal Signets with Fujikura shafts. Virtually the same which is a [b][i][u]very good thing[/u][/i][/b].

Anybody who cut his teeth on 1950s/1960s lofts has to love the absence of club numbers in favor of actual loft stampings. Going back to the old numbering criteria would confuse modern day players, but we seniors don't have to shake our heads at the modern, jacked-up specs. 30º means 30º to any age group, but I think that I'll call mine a mashie, just to be an obstinate old man!

The new Hogans won't make me an eight again, but no clubs are meant to do that. They're simply very nice irons, well made and visually attractive, that are infinitely more forgiving than the Hogan PCs of the early eighties. (I'll never forget trying to hit them, that with a much younger swing.)

Industry giant Callaway pretty much let Spalding Golf Division and Hogan die upon acquiring them, so it's great to see one of those old revered names making a fine effort to come back on its own.

Tour Edge E522___driver

Cleveland QuadPro___4 wood

Top Flite Intimidator 400___5, 7, 9 woods

Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron

Titleist T300___7-SW

Titleist SM6___LW

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Can anyone compare these to the S55's looks, forgiveness and feel? I've been gaming them for 2 seasons now, and I'm thinking about upgrading soon; as my birthday is in a few months. I'm a 6.5 handicap trending down, but ball striking isn't my forte (usually hit 8 greens a round, but few are what I would consider a legitimate birdie opportunity). Also, paired with the kbs tour v S, are they higher or lower launching? Naturally I launch the ball pretty high, but I prefer to move the ball back in my stance to keep it under the Texas breeze. I'm thinking about going with a 47*, 51*, 55*, 59* at the bottom of the bag and a 30* 6 iron and 23* or 22* 4 iron configuration. I can deal with gaps at the top of my bag, but wedges are the reason I've made it to a 6.5 from being a 100's shooter in 2 years, and those lofts seem very appealing and versatile to me. Any replies are appreciated