2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

TESTING: Official Ben Hogan FT. WORTH 15 Irons Member Review Thread

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1438196245' post='12042834']
[quote name='RandomGolfGuy' timestamp='1438195808' post='12042790']
The more I look at the hogans and the more I read bout them the harder its getting to not place an order...smh I need to stop clicking the review link haha
[/quote]

Already decided to keep these in a normal rotation with my other sets for sure. Even ordered a couple of the Hogan Wedges to compliment the set up when I play them....'ho for sure!
[/quote]

Hey Dscvrr, no rotating for me. Mine are firmly planted. Anybody want to buy some TaylorMade MBs?

[quote name='spurcell42' timestamp='1438197397' post='12042948']
The more I look at the hogans and the more I read bout them the harder its getting to not place an order...smh I need to stop clicking the review link haha
[/quote]

Already decided to keep these in a normal rotation with my other sets for sure. Even ordered a couple of the Hogan Wedges to compliment the set up when I play them....'ho for sure!
[/quote]

Hey Dscvrr, no rotating for me. Mine are firmly planted. Anybody want to buy some TaylorMade MBs?
[/quote]

Change that Signature Sam..!!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='kiw1982' timestamp='1438196603' post='12042872']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I already sold my Mackdaddy2 wedges and J15mbs are up for sale now, lol.
[/quote]

In ordered the wedges just two days ago to round out my set. If they continue as they have been they will be my gamers for sure!

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Adila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 Stiff

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 3 wood 16* - LinQ Purple 70 Stiff

Callaway Paradym 18/19* Hybrid  HZRDUS Smoke Gray 

Mizuno Pro 243 with modus 120S

Mizuno T24 50 and 56 S400
Bettinardi Queen B

[quote name='Slothead' timestamp='1438213018' post='12044444']
great reviews, so they feel light just holding them, and they swing easy?
[/quote]

As I mentioned in my review, I spent zero effort to switch from my gamer into Hogan. Just one range session needed.
Really easy to hit even with my handicap.

Ping                       G430 10k Driver w/GD Tour AD VF 5S
Ping                       G430 3 Wood w/GD Tour AD UB 6S

Titleist                   Titleist u505 2 iron w/GD Tour AD IZ 95S

Titleist                   T200 4/T150 5-P Irons w/Axiom 105S

Titleist                   48F w/Axiom 105S 54S/60K Wedges w/Fujikura MCI 105 MILD

LAB                   Mezz 1 Max Broomstick w/Accra

Good test for the soles tonight, tight bermuda that is sparse at best and explodes at impact!! Then familiar course on Saturday with great fairways and greens!!

Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1438275192' post='12048276']
Good test for the soles tonight, tight bermuda that is sparse at best and explodes at impact!! Then familiar course on Saturday with great fairways and greens!!
[/quote]I play on Bermuda here in NC and you're going to be impressed with the turf interaction.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

[quote name='CactusGolf' timestamp='1438275276' post='12048294']
[/quote]I play on Bermuda here in NC and you're going to be impressed with the turf interaction.
[/quote]
Bermuda on this course is a nice way to say thin weeds on hard dirt. We shall see....lol!!

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1438276010' post='12048354']
[/quote]
Bermuda on this course is a nice way to say thin weeds on hard dirt. We shall see....lol!!
[/quote]

Same for me in Georgia. I'd say 95% of courses here are Bermuda fairways and these Hogans cut right through it. Better than any other club I've played. I think it has to be the way the sole is cut.
What's mostly in Missouri, Dscvrr? Zoysia? I played on Zoysia once before at a course in Tennessee and it's so much nicer than Bermuda.

I played my third round and after playing a pretty bad front, I settled in on the back and stayed playing better. This was my third straight round at par or better (70 today) with the Hogans and I am extremely impressed with these irons. I hit a few shots heavy today and these irons really cut through the turf to mitigate the distance loss I typically saw other iron sets. I think it has to do with how the sole is cut. Whatever it is, it's great because my miss is usually to hit one heavy, and these do great on heavy shots.

One thing I wanted to make note of is how well these are holding up in the bag. There is hardly any bag chatter on the irons (even though it's only been a few rounds) even though the irons are forged. Again I'll say, I'm very impressed with these irons in every aspect. Quality made set.

[quote name='spurcell42' timestamp='1438289063' post='12049690']
[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1438276010' post='12048354']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Same for me in Georgia. I'd say 95% of courses here are Bermuda fairways and these Hogans cut right through it. Better than any other club I've played. I think it has to be the way the sole is cut.
What's mostly in Missouri, Dscvrr? Zoysia? I played on Zoysia once before at a course in Tennessee and it's so much nicer than Bermuda.
[/quote]

Zoysia and some BENT GRASS FW's...but mainly Zoysia...yeah, MUCH better than the Bermuda!! Sits up perfectly.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Tonight was pretty solid...shot 80 on the dirt track...truth be told course was partially flooded for 3.5 weeks, so the fairways are spotty and you have to find grass alot, but it played okay
overall.

Hogans performed great again, can't say there was a shot that didn't fly as struck. I mis-clubbed once and got some 'turf blow up' shots where the ground just blew up on impact and lost a touch
of distance, but some I missed ended up in better places than I thought they would, again, still.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Played again yesterday and although my swing was not on, these clubs performed and did their part. Again the forgiveness is amazing! Clubs are holding up good. Some bag chatter but nothing major at all.

I'm loving them and as of now these are my gamers. Playing again this weekend and will report back with more in depth overall performance.

Bettinardi Queen B

[quote name='MSUDoc' timestamp='1438375420' post='12056074']
Clubs look amazing... hope theyre still going strong in a few years when im back in the market for irons
[/quote]

IMO, they will be strong for a while.
You can get it better price than. lol.

Ping                       G430 10k Driver w/GD Tour AD VF 5S
Ping                       G430 3 Wood w/GD Tour AD UB 6S

Titleist                   Titleist u505 2 iron w/GD Tour AD IZ 95S

Titleist                   T200 4/T150 5-P Irons w/Axiom 105S

Titleist                   48F w/Axiom 105S 54S/60K Wedges w/Fujikura MCI 105 MILD

LAB                   Mezz 1 Max Broomstick w/Accra

Played my fourth round today at a course I had never played. Started off rough again but birdied the last three to shoot 72, so I still haven't shot over par with these irons.
Today was probably the best I hit the Hogans yet. I didn't hit one bad shot all day. My aim hurt me more than a couple times today, so that was on me because I still hit the irons solid. The course we played wasn't very long (~6400 yards) so I pounded 4 iron off a lot of tees and a few fairways today. It has to be the easiest to hit muscleback 4 iron I've ever played. I love hitting it. I love hitting all of the irons.

I wanted to make note of the one TK 15 wedge I received. I have the 51* and it's one of the best wedges I've ever played. I'd say it's tied with, if not a little better, than my first Cleveland CG10s. I never thought I'd hit a better wedge than the CG10, but I think the Hogan is. The looks are definitely better, and the sound is a little more pleasing, but playability is close to the same. I love the shape of the wedges. I'm more than likely going to order two more TK 15s to round out the set later in the year.

Shoot me any questions if you have them. I can go more in depth if anyone wants to know more. Thanks for reading!

[quote name='spurcell42' timestamp='1438469196' post='12061238']
Played my fourth round today at a course I had never played. Started off rough again but birdied the last three to shoot 72, so I still haven't shot over par with these irons.
Today was probably the best I hit the Hogans yet. I didn't hit one bad shot all day. My aim hurt me more than a couple times today, so that was on me because I still hit the irons solid. The course we played wasn't very long (~6400 yards) so I pounded 4 iron off a lot of tees and a few fairways today. It has to be the easiest to hit muscleback 4 iron I've ever played. I love hitting it. I love hitting all of the irons.

I wanted to make note of the one TK 15 wedge I received. I have the 51* and it's one of the best wedges I've ever played. I'd say it's tied with, if not a little better, than my first Cleveland CG10s. I never thought I'd hit a better wedge than the CG10, but I think the Hogan is. The looks are definitely better, and the sound is a little more pleasing, but playability is close to the same. I love the shape of the wedges. I'm more than likely going to order two more TK 15s to round out the set later in the year.

Shoot me any questions if you have them. I can go more in depth if anyone wants to know more. Thanks for reading!
[/quote]

I with you man! My 53 degree is an all around amazing wedge! Surprised by the shots I can make with this thing. I ordered a 57 but to be honest I don't feel like I am missing anything at the moment. I know I'll need it at some point but so far have been able to make the 53 work when I have needed it.

Bettinardi Queen B

okay, got another round in today, shot 77 and hit the Hogans very well again. I am going to play them all month to really get a round in round out view of the clubs. But, I can tell you right now
that I would have no issue these being my only gamers, they are that good. I will still be playing the Apex MB and Razr X MB after this month also, too good not to do that, but the Hogans can hold
their own with them all day. Like spurcell was saying about the 4 iron, same circumstances today, shorter course and fairly dry fairways, so good roll. Pounded the 4 iron of more than it's fair
share of tee's today and am really liking its performance, so easy to hit well and gets out there easily. These do everything well, partial, full, cut, draw, etc....worth checking out if
looking for an iron like this....won't be disappointed.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1438474968' post='12061610']
okay, got another round in today, shot 77 and hit the Hogans very well again. I am going to play them all month to really get a round in round out view of the clubs. But, I can tell you right now
that I would have no issue these being my only gamers, they are that good. I will still be playing the Apex MB and Razr X MB after this month also, too good not to do that, but the Hogans can hold
their own with them all day. Like spurcell was saying about the 4 iron, same circumstances today, shorter course and fairly dry fairways, so good roll. Pounded the 4 iron of more than it's fair
share of tee's today and am really liking its performance, so easy to hit well and gets out there easily. These do everything well, partial, full, cut, draw, etc....worth checking out if
looking for an iron like this....won't be disappointed.
[/quote]

Keep the Apex and sell the Razr MBs to a friend...someone you know already likes them.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

First, I need to thank The Ben Hogan Company and Golfwrx for this opportunity. I have never won anything like this in my life and was absolutely ecstatic to receive the email that I was selected.

[b]About Me:[/b]
I’m 31 years old, 5’9”, a little pudgy. I’m a single digit handicap who has been playing since I was in elementary school. I worked in the golf industry for quite a few years while in college and even after. I worked for a big box golf store, was an assistant pro, and worked for a smaller retailer. I landed my dream job about 18 months ago, and left the golf industry full time. I still part time at a golf course nearby, just for the perks and a little more cash as I am getting married in a few months.
Anyway, I know quite a bit about equipment and fitting, and have hit pretty much every clubs that has been made in the last five years.

[b]My Set:[/b]
I got the high launch setup 23 27 31 35 39 43 47 and added a few wedges, 51 55 59 63. Specs are standard length, 2 flat, KBS Tour V X flex. I also (like an idiot) ordered them grips in box, so I couldn’t take them to the range immediately after getting them.

[b]First Impression:[/b]
As I stated above, I’m getting married shortly so one of my first thoughts when I was informed I was getting a set of these was, “what will I sell them for on the BST?” I can always use more cash to pay for the wedding. Well, that’s not happening. I’d rather cancel the wedding.
They are pretty much just a blade look at address. They all look pretty much the same to me. Some people maybe have a more keen eye for things like the leading edge being square to the groove or whatever, but pretty much all I notice is how much offset there is (not much) and how thin the topline is (quite thin).
Looking at the 23 is a little intimidating. But, I’m sure I can make due. As stated above I had to put the grips on myself, which I like to do, not sure why. Anyway, when I was squaring up the grips on each club, I was just amazed how square they sit when you “sole” them. And that is on a wood floor.

[b]First Swings[/b]
Finally returned from vacation last night and was able to get a bucket of range balls in before dark. I’d imagine everything I could say about these irons has been said, but it deserves to be repeated. They are just awesome. The soles feel like they just melt through the grass. The sole grind is a great fit for me as I have a tendency to get a little steep at times and catch things heavy.

[b]First Round[/b]
Coming up later this week. Not really sure what the yardages will be with each club. The 35 and lower will probably fall around where my current irons are. The question is what will happen with the long irons. The club lengths are a little different from a “normal” set with .5 inch increments through the set. I did a little comparison to my Cleveland 588’s and basically made a rough estimate of my yardages. The 23 is pretty much the length of my Callaway X Prototype 21 driving iron. The 27 is about the same length of my 4 iron. The 31 is the outlier, it’s basically between my 5 iron and 6 iron as far as length goes, so I’ll guess the yardage will be around there as well. 35 matches the 7, and the rest of the set flows with my current irons as well.
I’m really excited to set how this works out. I know the idea is to create consistent distance gaps through the set. If it doesn’t work out, I can always cut down an iron or two. BFD.
I may also end up doing some length adjusting with the wedges. But that is just to match them to my current wedges. Slap a little lead tape on them, and I’ll be good to go.

[b]Technology[/b]
As a former fitter, I love the idea of individual lofts. The options you have for set make up are pretty much endless. Not just with the irons, but how a player could change their whole set up.
I recall Ryan Moore playing irons only stamped with lofts a few years ago that were all 5 degree increments (20-60). That basically still gives a player a full set of irons, but with one fewer club, sure the distance gaps might be a bit larger, but a player could get used to it. So now a player has room for a mini driver type club, a chipper, super lob wedge, or whatever you desire.

[b]I’ll post a follow up after my round this week.[/b]

BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5 Fubuki Alpha 50X
X2 Hot 2 Deep Fubuki K 70 X
Callaway Steelhead XR Tensei Blue 75 X
Adams Super LS 17 & 19 Kuro Kage 80 X
Callaway X Forged Utility 21 KBS Tour V X
Callaway Apex MB 18 4-PW KBS Tour V X
Callaway MD2 52 58 KBS Tour X
Odyssey Versa Tank 7
Srixon Z Star
Garmin G5 Bushnell X7

Eye Candy.
Current irons are Clevenald 588's.
I also have some Apex Mb's but someone beat me to it on pictures of them side by side.

BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5 Fubuki Alpha 50X
X2 Hot 2 Deep Fubuki K 70 X
Callaway Steelhead XR Tensei Blue 75 X
Adams Super LS 17 & 19 Kuro Kage 80 X
Callaway X Forged Utility 21 KBS Tour V X
Callaway Apex MB 18 4-PW KBS Tour V X
Callaway MD2 52 58 KBS Tour X
Odyssey Versa Tank 7
Srixon Z Star
Garmin G5 Bushnell X7

[quote name='woody1351' timestamp='1438612300' post='12069242']
I like how they have the loft on the club instead of the club number.
[/quote]

I play a 5-6 way divided bag, since all wedges are in on slot, 7-8-9 are in another, 4-5-6 are in another it is easy to grab the right club, thought it might be tough at first, but it was just fine.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

I was able to get out for two rounds this weekend at Forest Oaks Country Club. I shot 76-77 over the weekend.

[b][u]August 2nd- Second Round- Forest Oaks Country Club (Greensboro, NC)[/u][/b]

I was happy with the way I played on Saturday. Was also able to meet up with a fellow WRXr. I had a few shots that were hit poorly, but I don't feel that I was punished too badly on them. Way too many three putts. The round could have been much lower.

I will say that what I would like to see in the future is more of a forged CB in the 5 (25*) and 6 (29*) iron with 7 (33*)-PW (45*) in the traditional Ft. Worth 15s, but I could absolutely play the set as they are now and I am keeping these in my bag as my primary set. I plan on selling the Covert Forged 2.0s.

The biggest two things I noticed was that my GIR and scrambling percentages improved. The last 3-round GIR is a little higher than my overall average (57% overall GIR vs. 61% the past three rounds).

My scrambling percentage is higher with these wedges (46% the past 3 rounds vs. 30% overall). The TK-15 wedges have really helped on my pitching and chipping. I haven't had a wedge get stopped in the Bermuda rough in NC. Spin is definitely comparable to my RTX 2.0s. I can get the ball to either back up or stop after the first hit. They aren't as forgiving as the CB RTX 2.0s, but I'm okay with that.

I tend to chip with my 8-iron (37*) quite a bit compared to just using the sand wedge. With my Coverts, I got more than a few chips that jumped off the face and was unable to get up and down because of it. I haven't had that problem with the Hogans.

What I do like is the yardage gapping in the set. I was able to be more aggressive than usual with some back pin locations today knowing how far each club will carry. The Game Golf I'm using helps with this too. I have enjoyed the distance consistency.

I also noticed that the turf interaction is much better than other sets I've played. When I do get too steep, the irons do bounce off the turf well. Also, they glide surprising well out of the rough. Forest Oaks CC has pretty substantial and penalizing rough and I didn't have much of a problem getting through it with either the wedges or full set.

[b][u]August 3rd-Third Round- Forest Oaks Country Club (Greensboro, NC)[/u][/b]

I'm glad I had a day like this. I didn't have a very good ball striking day, but was still able to end up with a 77. I did not feel like I hit the irons well at all. I can only remember two truly well-struck shots. This was user error.

The one poor shot that stuck out in my mind was on the par 3 17th. I had a yardage of 172 to a front-right hole location and used the 29* (6-iron). I hit the fattest shot I can remember in quite some time and still ended up on the front left section of the green. I did't think that the ball would end up half-way there. I should have taken a picture of the divot. It was comically big.

My hands were a little sore today and I'm not sure if it was because of too much golf over the past two days or if the shafts were more than I can handle. I could have been tired as well. I did have a great experience with Project X 5.5 Flighted shafts, so I may visit the clubfitter in my area to see about swapping the shafts with something a little less stiff.

I felt that the wedges saved me quite a bit today after having to lay up or scramble for pars. The shot that stands out to me is the pitch of 50 yards to a front-left pin location on the 5th hole. I had about 10 feet to work with. I was able to land the ball just short and have it roll on to pin high.

Overall, these have been moved into my bag permanently. The consistent yardage gapping, feel, and forgiveness of these clubs is what I have been looking for in the past sets of irons that I have used.

I plan on visiting the clubfitter in my area to make sure that I'm using the correct set of shafts and to check the lie set-up. The Coverts that I have been using were bent to 2* flat and worked well. I would also like to check the lofts to see how accurate the Hogans are.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

[quote name='CactusGolf' timestamp='1438614360' post='12069426']

My hands were a little sore today and I'm not sure if it was because of too much golf over the past two days or if the shafts were more than I can handle. I could have been tired as well. I did have a great experience with Project X 5.5 Flighted shafts, so I may visit the clubfitter in my area to see about swapping the shafts with something a little less stiff.

[/quote]

Sorry about selectively pulling out that tidbit observation from your Hogans trial, but it is very relevant to me. You make a keen comparison in shafts which is hard to find sometimes on WRX posts. The Hogans you got have a 110g KBS Tour V spec S. I am not at all familiar with those, and am in the market several months from now for another MB irons set. I am familiar with Project X Flighted.

I play Callaway Razr MBs in the 5.0s, but could easily handle up to 6.0 in same if I could ever get them again. I believe a whole set of 5.5s as you have access to runs around 115-117g in the set.

I have enjoyed your results Cactus, and the others on here. My choices seem to still be with Cobra Fly-Z Pros or Titleist 716 MBs later, as shaft up charges are no $ issue there compared to Hogans. Plus, there is just a touch too much offset in Hogan I feel with my natural draw pattern on irons.

Dscvrr has the Modus 3 shafts (130 & 120) in his Callaways, what did you have in your Coverts 2.0 irons? If a Modus, how do they feel compared to these KBS Tour V.

I'm still recovering from a mid-June MTB wreck with broken right wrist - I've been out of a cast for about 10 days and still have some pain, so I can't regain all the strength and flex needed yet to take the swing to the course with any confidence. Looking to get out in another couple of weeks. :vava:

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

Played another 9 today and these irons keeps performing. The last 9 I played my swing was all over the place, however I was still never punished extremely bad.

Good contact and these clubs provide a great feeling. It's not that Mizuno "butter" feeling, it's something special and I like it a lot! :nyam:

The V sole on these cuts through the turf with no issue and the bounce works great on tight lies as well.

I have been playing without any wedge higher than the 53* and to be honest once the 57 gets here it's going to be weird. I can make the 53* work for so many different situations now. The grips with the three different hand positions is something I liked in my Glide wedges as well.

If anyone is in the market for a set of blades I highly suggest trying these out. I know that the cost is high so thats something you will have to weigh against your own budget but I will say these are worth it to me (I know it's easy to say from my standpoint).

Bettinardi Queen B