Titleist 975's....?

I'd be surprised if a 975D is anywhere near .815 COR. The TiSI was the driver that caused the ruckus about COR, and helped spawn the rule; if memory serves, it was .813 or so. I've never heard the 975D described as "hot." :)

Yeah, that's just what Titleist stated. I thought the TisI was one of the first at or near the .830 limit ?

Cwebb, I played both and preferred the L-FE. Mainly it was something about the head shape that just seemed "right" with it compared to the 983E. Sorry not a very good explanation I know ��

Was the face not as deep/tall?

I don’t 100% remember but I’m thinking they had pretty similar face height only the L-FE’s pear shape was more akin to the old woods (of course on a much larger scale).

I'd be surprised if a 975D is anywhere near .815 COR. The TiSI was the driver that caused the ruckus about COR, and helped spawn the rule; if memory serves, it was .813 or so. I've never heard the 975D described as "hot." :)

Yeah, that's just what Titleist stated. I thought the TisI was one of the first at or near the .830 limit ?

The TiSI is what spawned the discussion that created the limit. They set it at something slightly above the TiSI's COR, for manufacturing tolerance. It's possible I'm not remembering quite correctly and it was .823 instead of .813. <shrug>

The irony is, at least to me.... because of how OEMs manufacture their woods, in order to avoid creating something too hot, they are still targeting what is effectively something not far from .823. Which means, a club from 1998 is just as hot as anything today. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I just acquired one of these. It's a little bigger than my 975D (which I love) and apparently it's built to promote a fade. Is that right?

Does anyone know anything more about this model?

Steve you are correct on the L-FE being fade-biased. I loved that club and I'm not sure I've hit any driver better since I went away from it, you won't be disappointed to put it into play!

The L-FE was designed with an open FA. I have several (7.5* to 10.5*) which I played for years before adjustables came along. Had a malfunction while warming up for a scramble this past spring and had to fall back on my 8.5* L-FE with GD YS 8.1 S flex which happened to be in my trunk (good thing!). Needless to say, I still had a good day driving!!

BT

Did you ever get a chance to compare the L-FE to the 983E ?

Never hit any of the 983s. Played the 975L-FEs till adjustables came out. Adjustable heads solved my problem of having to keep drivers of varying lofts for different conditions.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

A few years ago I searched eBay for a 975 feeling it was the best of the Titanium bunch and I ended up with a model not mentioned yet here, the 975L-FF. it has an aftermarket Speeder 661 Stiff. Sadly, I never play it since it doesn't sound or feel like persimmon. It sits a touch open, which I like. It is a nice driver.

that stands for (let the FXXXer Fly)

a good pro told you back then that you needed 2 degrees lower loft than you normally played, as to get the launch angle right. I bought a 6.5 degree lofted one. i had the graphite shaft drilled out and a rifle 7.5 pushed all the way thru and then the tip ground off even. the pro filled it up with some kind of black looking stuff. it played at 44 inches long if you measured it one way, 44 and 1/2 if measured an another way. it was heavy played in the high D;s or even E0. IF it had an easy grip on it. I was in the prime of my life. physically. I made a hole in one on a 357 yard par 4 with it.

My oldest son still has it, and takes it to the driving range to practice. He says it improves his regular Cobra driver.

A few years ago I searched eBay for a 975 feeling it was the best of the Titanium bunch and I ended up with a model not mentioned yet here, the 975L-FF. it has an aftermarket Speeder 661 Stiff. Sadly, I never play it since it doesn't sound or feel like persimmon. It sits a touch open, which I like. It is a nice driver.

that stands for (let the FXXXer Fly)

And MacGregor held the trademark for LFF, which is why the club was renamed to LFE. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I'd go with a 983E. They "said" it was .83 COR and still only 350cc. Shaft with an X100 at 44" and you will enjoy your drives.

TC Callaway Epic Sub Zero / Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X

TA Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond-T 14° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X 

Callaway UW 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X

Titleist TSi3 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 TX

Callaway X Forged UT '21 25°/ Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x 

Srixon Z785 6-PW / Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x

50F Vokey SM8 Jet Black / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

54K Vokey Tour Design Raw / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

58K Vokey SM8 Jet Black / BGT ZNE 130

Piretti Potenza Cu plated 360g / BGT Stability Shaft  

The TiSI is what spawned the discussion that created the limit. They set it at something slightly above the TiSI's COR, for manufacturing tolerance. It's possible I'm not remembering quite correctly and it was .823 instead of .813. <shrug>

The irony is, at least to me.... because of how OEMs manufacture their woods, in order to avoid creating something too hot, they are still targeting what is effectively something not far from .823. Which means, a club from 1998 is just as hot as anything today. ;)

That's true, in terms of ball speed out of the middle of the face. I wonder though whether it still applies for those people who maximise their launch by making contact a little high and toe-side.