2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Olympics Golf: The Official Discussion Thread (merged)

GolfGrouch

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it have something cheesy like a series of bunkers shaped like the Olympic Rings? Or the rio logo?

Put me down in the "who cares" camp. We have four majors, 93 world championship events, and at least two tournaments a week.

Make it a championship for amateur golfers and I'd watch for sure.

10-person teams.
72 holes of stroke play
5 play each day (alternating, with mandatory play requirements) with top 4 scores per team being accepted
Then cut to top 8 teams for a Match play bracket
36 hole team matches (foursomes) for points (no halves)
That, I'd watch.

If it has to be Pros - Give each competitor $1000. Let them go gamble in foursomes or twosomes - skins, greenies, presses, whatever they like - just like we do. Out of money, you're out. At the end of the week, the player with the most money gets the gold. Now that, I would watch - many different skills in play.

I just cant get excited for an event that will be basically a WGC with half the talent watered down.

[quote name='tedbronson' timestamp='1448421140' post='12643422']
If it has to be Pros - Give each competitor $1000. Let them go gamble in foursomes or twosomes - skins, greenies, presses, whatever they like - just like we do. Out of money, you're out. At the end of the week, the player with the most money gets the gold. Now that, I would watch - many different skills in play.

I just cant get excited for an event that will be basically a WGC match play with half the talent watered down.
[/quote]

I like this idea....would be very interesting...and probably illegal in some country's...lol

Paul

I am on the fence on this one, going to watch but I would like to see more of the sport during the Olympics. If track and field can go through out the whole thing then we should be able to get more in. I think they will be "tinkering" after this year and come up with a better scheme. I think they should keep the teams to amateurs but I don't think golf will be like basketball....too much world competition in golf!

I find it odd that some have this romantic notion that the Olympics should be restricted to amateurs when the whole reason that it was even a rule in the first place was because the wealthy were sick of the working class stealing 'their' medals so they introduced the restrictions knowing full well that the working class couldn't compete at a high level without receiving some sort of funding as work would obviously negatively affect their ability to practice their craft. Obviously the wealthy didn't need the financial rewards that come with success in a sporting field so you wound up with a bunch of rich DB's that weren't much good at anything while the genuinely talented athletes either gave up or competed in obscure and meaningless meets.

Personally I'm glad to see the back of the amateur era, I want to see the best of the best compete, regardless of sport and let's face it, during the amateur era it was an exercise in who could rort the system better than all the others (which again usually came down to wealth). Nothing romantic or desirable about any of that.

[quote name='cehb' timestamp='1448588132' post='12650914']
I find it odd that some have this romantic notion that the Olympics should be restricted to amateurs when the whole reason that it was even a rule in the first place was because the wealthy were sick of the working class stealing 'their' medals so they introduced the restrictions knowing full well that the working class couldn't compete at a high level without receiving some sort of funding as work would obviously negatively affect their ability to practice their craft. Obviously the wealthy didn't need the financial rewards that come with success in a sporting field so you wound up with a bunch of rich DB's that weren't much good at anything while the genuinely talented athletes either gave up or competed in obscure and meaningless meets.

Personally I'm glad to see the back of the amateur era, I want to see the best of the best compete, regardless of sport and let's face it, during the amateur era it was an exercise in who could rort the system better than all the others (which again usually came down to wealth). Nothing romantic or desirable about any of that.
[/quote]

The best play every week...just about. Don't think your gonna get ...the best of the best...in Olympic golf. Think of all the non golfing country's that will put players in the field?? Then countries with the very best...will be limited to a couple players.
We already have the best format for the best players...and it's not the Olympics...

Paul

I'm not specifically referring to golf, just the whole amateur concept in general. Seems odd to me to have the fastest men and women on the planet competing but then restrict golf to amateurs, most of who wouldn't even be inside the top 1000 in the OWGR. My opinion is that either golf should not be an Olympic sport (my preference) or if so, it should be open to professionals and amateurs alike.

[quote name='cehb' timestamp='1448672625' post='12654000']
I'm not specifically referring to golf, just the whole amateur concept in general. Seems odd to me to have the fastest men and women on the planet competing but then restrict golf to amateurs, most of who wouldn't even be inside the top 1000 in the OWGR. My opinion is that either golf should not be an Olympic sport (my preference) or if so, it should be open to professionals and amateurs alike.
[/quote]

I do agree golf in the Olympics is not necessary...imo. ..golf has plenty of chances for the best to play against each other. I just don't watch Olympics much anymore?? that said...if it comes down to Jordan, Rory, Jason and other big names...I'm probably gonna pay attention...at least a little??

Paul

[quote name='Rob G 89' timestamp='1438829340' post='12087118']Going to be interesting to see Jordan spieth wearing Adidas, as they are the official Olympic sponsor of team USA golf[/quote]

He wore Ralph Lauren tor the Ryder Cup.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Better Format

Top 5 make the team for 20 countries. 100 players
The next top 25 players make in as individuals

36 hole individual championship Day 1
Day 2-3 Team Championship
Top 8 teams (Best of 5 match play)
Day 4 Amateur Best Ball Championship
Day 5-7 Match Play Championship (Top 16)

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

[quote name='Santiago Golf' timestamp='1448739558' post='12656378']
Better Format

[/quote]

Yeah, keep it simple.

What will be interesting to see unfold is the viewing format. I agree with the earlier poster,that you aren't going to get to watch a whole golf round
being played on NBC. And we all know that the golf channel will have to have an hours talking heads before they show golf,with a 1/2 hour in the middle,and breaking away for updates on the rest of the sports every ten minutes.. I will not be watching because
we already have the same guys playing every week.For those who do watch,I sincerely hope the viewing doesn't get butchered up to where
its a joke. They may surprise everyone and do a great job.

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

[quote name='PGArox' timestamp='1448741025' post='12656436'][quote name='Santiago Golf' timestamp='1448739558' post='12656378']
Better Format

[/quote]

Yeah, keep it simple.[/quote]

So do you like it or not

• 4 months later...

It's a real shame that the Olympic format stuck with plain vanilla stroke play. There's a tremendous opportunity to make the event truly unique. For example, it's entirely possible to devise an interesting team play competition including men and women mixed teams. Imagine a Jordan Spieth and Lexi Thompson team competing in alternate shot against the world! C'mon Olympic Committee, think outside of the box! With another 4 years until the next event, there's plenty of time to get it right.

In the Bag:

• Titleist 690MB Forged Irons 3-PW
  • TaylorMade M3 Driver with TENSEI Blue Stiff Shaft
  • TaylorMade V-Steel 15° 3-Wood
  • Titleist Spin Milled 56° and 60° Wedges
  • Scotty Cameron Newport Mil-Spec Putter

I love everyone saying they are out on this tournament and might watch, haha ok you have fun watching Tom Gillis and Steve Stricker compete for the John Deere while Spieth, Rory, Day, Scott, Bubba, Rose, Stenson, Dustin, Rickie, Louis and Sergio are battling out for a prize that not even Tiger and Jack have. Seriously what has been done in golf before that one of these two men havent achieved? Let me think nothing. Yeah im going to be watching because its going to be huge unless we get a final group of Joost Luiten and Roope Kakko.

golf in the olympics in it's present format is redundant...

having said that i'm sure that the powers that be feel--and i agree--that it can still add to the popularity of that game worldwide and that is a good thing..

it's hard however not to view it as just another international tournament with arguably the weakest field and it's main appeal is that it's a first for the olympics...

the format is sure to undergo further tweeking as it goes down the road and i hope it will improve..

i really like the idea of having team play including a mixed event as a possible future format to make it really unique..

th

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

I love everyone saying they are out on this tournament and might watch, haha ok you have fun watching Tom Gillis and Steve Stricker compete for the John Deere while Spieth, Rory, Day, Scott, Bubba, Rose, Stenson, Dustin, Rickie, Louis and Sergio are battling out for a prize that not even Tiger and Jack have. Seriously what has been done in golf before that one of these two men havent achieved? Let me think nothing. Yeah im going to be watching because its going to be huge unless we get a final group of Joost Luiten and Roope Kakko.

It's just like the basketball...it's sooo important..no..yes..The answer is no...not important. The olympics just aren't that big a deal anymore.

Paul

Does it have something cheesy like a series of bunkers shaped like the Olympic Rings? Or the rio logo?

Put me down in the "who cares" camp. We have four majors, 93 world championship events, and at least two tournaments a week.

Make it a championship for amateur golfers and I'd watch for sure.

10-person teams.

72 holes of stroke play

5 play each day (alternating, with mandatory play requirements) with top 4 scores per team being accepted

Then cut to top 8 teams for a Match play bracket

36 hole team matches (foursomes) for points (no halves)

That, I'd watch.

Geez who pissed in your

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Olympic golf...I can just see it....

"Here we are, its Jason Day, this could be history. He is consulting with his caddie and now, yes, see him close his eyes to visualuze the shot. This could be history. He is visualizing. Ok, Im being told we will cut away for just a moment to see the mens 400 meter hurdles.....Ok, we are back, Jason is still visualizing. This could be history"

It's just like the basketball...it's sooo important..no..yes..The answer is no...not important. The olympics just aren't that big a deal anymore.

Paul

NBC paying billions for it and the TV ratings that the olympics pull night in and night out disagree with you that they arent a big deal anymore becasuse outside of the NFL it pulls the most viewers for any sporting event. NBC does a very successful golf program so of course they want another event to show. The olympics produces stars out of people that no one has heard of just 1 month prior and everyone tunes in to watch to see if they can win gold. Golf already has big big names in Rory, Spieth, Day, Rickie, Scott. This is going to be huge, i bet this pulls a higher rating than the US Open and is the second most watched golf telecast outside of Augusta.