2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Olympics Golf: The Official Discussion Thread (merged)

GolfGrouch

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the open water swimmers have more to worry about than the golfers, and they don't seem to be backing out (at least that I've heard). Which would you be more scared to do --- play the golf course or swim in the open water down there?

Name three "open water swimmers" without looking it up.

PGA golfers worth millions and who have other millions coming down the pipe have way more to risk. They don't play their whole lives hoping for Olympic Gold, they do it for majors. The Olympics is just another exhibition.

The effects of the Zika virus aren't enough to derail the career of a professional athlete. No golfer is risking his future on the PGA Tour by going to Rio.

From the World Health Organization = "It causes mild fever and rash. Other symptoms include muscle pain, joint pain, headache, pain behind the eyes and conjunctivitis.Zika virus disease is usually mild, with symptoms lasting only a few days."

(yes, there are some obviously serious repurcussions for pregnant women and unborn babies. But the discussion here is the playing career risk for a male golfer)

I think the open water swimmers have more to worry about than the golfers, and they don't seem to be backing out (at least that I've heard). Which would you be more scared to do --- play the golf course or swim in the open water down there?

PGA golfers worth millions and who have other millions coming down the pipe have way more to risk. They don't play their whole lives hoping for Olympic Gold, they do it for majors. The Olympics is just another exhibition.

The effects of the Zika virus aren't enough to derail the career of a professional athlete. No golfer is risking his future on the PGA Tour by going to Rio.

From the World Health Organization = "It causes mild fever and rash. Other symptoms include muscle pain, joint pain, headache, pain behind the eyes and conjunctivitis.Zika virus disease is usually mild, with symptoms lasting only a few days."

(yes, there are some obviously serious repurcussions for pregnant women and unborn babies. But the discussion here is the playing career risk for a male golfer)

One, we do not know that Zika impacts each person the same or how long the effects can last.

Two, most of the athletes are in their prime years for both earnings and starting a family. With all of the unknowns around the virus, I would never take the chance of it impacting my future offsprings.

Three, there are a number of other issues, including security and overall livability of the city (sanitary conditions, traffic, etc) that would give any sane person pause. Sure it is the olympics, but for golfers it is not the pinnacle of the sport. The course is questionable and the format is nothing unique.

drn92

One, we do not know that Zika impacts each person the same or how long the effects can last.

Two, most of the athletes are in their prime years for both earnings and starting a family. With all of the unknowns around the virus, I would never take the chance of it impacting my future offsprings.

Three, there are a number of other issues, including security and overall livability of the city (sanitary conditions, traffic, etc) that would give any sane person pause. Sure it is the olympics, but for golfers it is not the pinnacle of the sport. The course is questionable and the format is nothing unique.

drn92

I totally agree with what you said regarding the other issues (crime, overall sanitation, not being the pinnacle of the sport, etc.) The chance of affecting future offspring is no different for golfers as it is for any other athlete. From what is known, the effects of the virus on an adult male are pretty insignificant and certainly not enough to put a career in jeopardy.

I will give you that the risk of any unknowns is very real and to some, not worth risking.

Out of curiosity ....... if the Zika was a risk at the Open Championship in a few weeks, how many players do you think would be pulling out? Would Jason Day and Rory and Adam Scott be bailing on a major championship because of it? My guess is probably not, because it means so much more to them than the Olympics does. They would probably just tell their wives to stay home so they aren't being put at risk. But my guess is they would still play.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/16/health/men-zika-virus-sexual-transmission/

Read this....

http://www.cnn.com/2...l-transmission/

Read this....

From the article = "But Zika has been found in the s***** of infected men -- and it's unknown how long it stays there and over what period of time a man can transmit the virus through sex."

So yes, there is indeed a risk for adult men beyond just the initial symptoms that last for a few days. So yes, totally understandable fears. Any golfer that does not want to risk a future pregnancy with their wife or significant other has a legitimate reason.

But circling back to the original debate --- the risk of jeopardizing a playing career does not appear to be there (beyond any kind of unknowns of course).

Female Irish boxer calls out golfers>>

Another one bites the dust. I wonder what excuse the golfers would of made if there was no virus.

https://twitter.com/KatieTaylor

http://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/36662090

Here is the quote from Ms Taylor:

"More chance of him getting killed by a spider in Australia than getting infected by the Zika virus."

Who knew, in addition to being a boxer, she is also a medical doctor/infectious disease expert!!! Wow! :)

Another one bites the dust. I wonder what excuse the golfers would of made if there was no virus.

Padraig Harrington's quote from that article, defending the golfers' decisions =

"I known there has been a lot of criticism, but most of the golfers are married with families, or with families on the way, whereas 99% of the athletes going to the Games will be single."

99%?? Seems like a bit of a leap, Paddy.

http://www.cnn.com/2...l-transmission/

Read this....

From the article = "But Zika has been found in the s***** of infected men -- and it's unknown how long it stays there and over what period of time a man can transmit the virus through sex."

So yes, there is indeed a risk for adult men beyond just the initial symptoms that last for a few days. So yes, totally understandable fears. Any golfer that does not want to risk a future pregnancy with their wife or significant other has a legitimate reason.

But circling back to the original debate --- the risk of jeopardizing a playing career does not appear to be there (beyond any kind of unknowns of course).

I don't think any of them are mentioning the risk of "jeopardizing their playing career". I am pretty sure they all said they are worried about the impact of Zika on their future kids. Except for Adam Scott, who just said flat out he didn't give a rip about the Olympics (good on him!!!).

Bubba Watson confirmed that he was indeed going to Rio, and that since he and his wife couldn't have kids (naturally), it was an easy decision for him. He also said that if he could have kids/planned to have kids, he wouldn't go either.

I don't think any of them are mentioning the risk of "jeopardizing their playing career". I am pretty sure they all said they are worried about the impact of Zika on their future kids. Except for Adam Scott, who just said flat out he didn't give a rip about the Olympics (good on him!!!).

Bubba Watson confirmed that he was indeed going to Rio, and that since he and his wife couldn't have kids (naturally), it was an easy decision for him. He also said that if he could have kids/planned to have kids, he wouldn't go either.

The playing career risk argument came from LarryBud, not any players. ("PGA golfers worth millions and who have other millions coming down the pipe have way more to risk")

So what I'm saying is that:

The argument that they don't want to put their family at risk = valid.

The argument that they don't want to put their playing career and future earning potential at risk = invalid IMO

The playing career risk argument came from LarryBud, not any players. ("PGA golfers worth millions and who have other millions coming down the pipe have way more to risk")

So what I'm saying is that:

The argument that they don't want to put their family at risk = valid.

The argument that they don't want to put their playing career and future earning potential at risk = invalid IMO

Gottcha. My bad.

In any case, going to Rio is a terrible idea for anyone who can afford not to. Unfortunately for some (all the minor sport athletes), they are screwed, the corrupt IOC and the Olympics is all they have got - so they will have to brave Zika, muggings, murders, kidnapping, super bacteria, local police strikes, sewage, and whatever else.

Once again, for this female boxer an Olympic medal is the pinnacle of her career. For golfers, not so much (although I admit for some it is a big deal).

Take the virus, add in a crime infested cesspool of a city, and I completely understand why folks are opting out. Don't blame them in the least.

So many armchair quarterbacks telling people what risks they should accept to their body and how important the Olympics should be to them.

Honestly why does a female Irish boxer give a crap about whether golfers attend the Olympics? Just an opportunity to grandstand any put yourself on a pedestal I guess

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Just knowing you pretty much HAVE to wear a condom for 6+ months (or you're playing russian roulette with your jism) after going to Rio would be enough to make me pull out.

Um... erm... well, typically the point of the condom is that you don't have to ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

"More chance of him getting killed by a spider in Australia than getting infected by the Zika virus."

Who knew, in addition to being a boxer, she is also a medical doctor/infectious disease expert!!! Wow! :)

She is merely restating the position of the WHO who have said there is minimal risk of contracting the virus. They are medical experts, unlike you, and are telling the truth, unlike the golfers. All these zillionaires will board countless planes over the next 10 years, risks will not be considered. Pansies.

She is merely restating the position of the WHO who have said there is minimal risk of contracting the virus. They are medical experts, unlike you, and are telling the truth, unlike the golfers. All these zillionaires will board countless planes over the next 10 years, risks will not be considered. Pansies.

You trust the IOC and their "partners"??

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-sports/news/rio-olympics-zika-virus-world-health-organization-conflict-ioc/qu53cts4gv9r1nhayv8st903v

from the article:

"The experts, whose names are on the letter, believe the WHO’s decades-long partnership with the International Olympic Committee constitutes a conflict of interest."

I never thought about it like the previous comments. Sure the Zika virus and the crime, along with the unhealthy conditions, are a BIG problem in Rio. BUT these same golfers won't think twice about hopping on a private plane and flying off to some 3rd world country to play in a tournament while collecting millions in appearance money. Makes you think about the real reason they are dropping out of the Olympics huh? I'll be honest I wouldn't go either, but it does make you think.

Professionals should not be allowed in the Olympics! It should be amateurs only, just like the original!

Clothing should not be allowed in the Olympics either. It should be only nude participants, just like the original!

Authenticity is best! Unfortunately both those ships sailed a longass time ago, so I guess we should stop banging on either of these particular drums.

Like I said, "Zika" is code word for "I don't want to get shanked by a hoodlum". There are lot more risks in Rio than just Zika!

Like I said, "Zika" is code word for "I don't want to get shanked by a hoodlum". There are lot more risks in Rio than just Zika!

Oh I agree with you 100% on that aspect. So if "the Zika virus could jeopardize my career" is really code for "all the other crazy sh** down there could jeopardize my career" then yes, we are in agreement.

It's too bad the Olympic situation for golf has played out the way it has. There's so much potential there for an extremely exciting event. Get a better format with commitments from all of the world's best players and you could have something truly special.

I never thought about it like the previous comments. Sure the Zika virus and the crime, along with the unhealthy conditions, are a BIG problem in Rio. BUT these same golfers won't think twice about hopping on a private plane and flying off to some 3rd world country to play in a tournament while collecting millions in appearance money. Makes you think about the real reason they are dropping out of the Olympics huh? I'll be honest I wouldn't go either, but it does make you think.

What third world countries are guys like Day and Scott etc playing in regularly?

I can't think of any off the top of my head. There may be some. But mostly they play in US, Europe, Dubai, China...

Am I forgetting any, wouldn't Brazil be the worst place any of them have played in the past year? (Not counting Chicago)

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Does anyone know the format of the Olympic golf?

Is it even going to be televised, meaning showing plays from all participants (men or women)?

Raising public's interest is one thing, but I hope the network isn't the one pulling out now.

Format is 60 man (women) field, 72 holes of stroke play, no cut. Qualifying skewed towards "lets make sure all countries can play" rather than "lets get the best in the world".

As for coverage, NBC/Golf Channel is going to show a ton - something like 6am-2pm EST each day, live.