2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Olympics Golf: The Official Discussion Thread (merged)

GolfGrouch

Spieth has said nearly all the right things about Olympics golf, even said it had a major feel about it in the press conference today. Said he was fully behind it etc etc, yet his actions didn't match his words. Hard to know if he's just paying lip service to it or not.

Lots of legit personal reasons not to go. Doesn’t make his words seem less genuine.

Yea all those Zika outbreaks and crime (lochte). Seriously could die from the flu and shot in Manhattan (or long island for that matter ha) but is he at the Barclays? Ye$$ir

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spieth has said nearly all the right things about Olympics golf, even said it had a major feel about it in the press conference today. Said he was fully behind it etc etc, yet his actions didn't match his words. Hard to know if he's just paying lip service to it or not.

Lots of legit personal reasons not to go. Doesn’t make his words seem less genuine.

Yea all those Zika outbreaks and crime (lochte). Seriously could die from the flu and shot in Manhattan (or long island for that matter ha) but is he at the Barclays? Ye$$ir

How about we analyze and criticize your personal decisions on the internet?

How about we analyze and criticize your personal decisions on the internet?

Go ahead, I'm not a famous public figure giving actual interviews to the media so no one cares. I drive a Subaru, start there I guess.

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Back to the topic, I wonder how much better the Tokyo games will be now that golf has proven it's place at the Olympics?

When did that happen?

Why would you want to deny that?

Even if it didn't happen, the 'proving' thing, why the sour faced attitude towards it?

I'm just asking when "golf has proven it's place in the olympics" happened. I certainly didn't see it despite the constant golf channel cheerleading.

And you can stop the personal attacks.

Back to the topic, I wonder how much better the Tokyo games will be now that golf has proven it's place at the Olympics?

When did that happen?

Even if it didn't happen, the 'proving' thing, why the sour faced attitude towards it?

I'm just asking when "golf has proven it's place in the olympics" happened. I certainly didn't see it despite the constant golf channel cheerleading.

It seemed like all the other athletes accepted golf. That might be a good lead for everyone to consider following.

Titleist TS3 8.5 HZDRUS 60 6.5
Titleist TS3 15 HZDRUS 70 6.5
Titleist 818H2 19 Aldila Phenom HYB 85 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 UT 21 KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 4-PW KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind and 58/8 C Grind KBS $Taper 120 S
Scotty Cameron Futura X 35"
Titleist Pro V1x

When did that happen?

Its proven to Jordan and Rory.

Jordan said he regrets he was not there and is commited to Tokyo.

"I watched it. I really enjoyed it. It came off I thought tremendous for the game. I enjoyed watching the finish to the Olympics and I wished I was there," Spieth said"

"At the time I made the decision, it was the right decision for me," Spieth added. "I told you guys in that press conference, it was the hardest thing I’ve had to do. The potential for regret was going to be there and it certainly was while I was watching, so that’s why I tweeted out, ‘I’m looking forward to setting it as a goal to be there in 2020.'"

Rory, given his comments, is as well, I surmise,

"It pleasantly surprised me. There was more people at the golf events than there was at the athletics. It was good to see, it really was," McIlroy added. "It seems like it was a great atmosphere down there. I think it was one of the cheaper tickets, as well, and I think that encouraged a lot of people to go … To see the crowds and see the turnout, I was glad to be somewhat proven wrong."

If they are in board, and given that its really just Zack and Scott that dont seem committed,

The best in the world are clearly interested in participating.

I take it you're not an optimist...

Questioning the posters' intent and then crying about a "personal attack" haha Cmon keyboard warrior you can do better than that ??????

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

When did that happen?

Would it be better for you if everyone just agreed with you?

This is a forum. People debate and disagree and agree and sometimes even 'attack' each other....... LOL!

Zach Johnson adding fuel to the fire:

"I didn't watch golf. I'd rather watch the sports that should be in the Olympics," he said. "I'd rather watch the athletes who train for four years for that one week. I'd rather watch swimming and diving, track and field -- the athletes that are relevant for one week. All of our (golf) athletes are relevant 24-7, 365. I just don't see the need for golf to be in the Olympics."

He does have a point, right?

Not really. The elite athletes compete in the Diamond League every year, a series of 14 meets throughout the summer that each have a total prize fund of nearly $500,000 every meet. It's a worldwide series that is televised across the world and for the athletics world is as important as the PGA Tour/Euro tour, etc just that they have 14 majors every year not just 4.

The fact that 3.5 billion people watched the Olympics and there is no bigger show on earth is just one of the reasons that the powers that be fought hard to get golf included. Participation in golf in the UK has dropped by over 20% in the last few years yet participation in cycling has increased by more than 20% due mostly to the coverage from the Olympics. If golf is not to be left behind it has to be in the Olympics. I'm not sure they got the format right though...a four-ball team scramble/better ball event would be more exciting imo.

You sure the increase in cycling in the UK is due mostly to Olympic coverage??!? And not MORE due to Bradly Wiggins, Mark Cavendish, and Chris Froome all doing very well at the Tour de France (the real bike race).

Just watched the "on demand" broadcast of the Olympic men's cycling road race, and the commentators made the point that Vincenzo Nibali, who is absolutely one of the elite road racers in the world, geared all of his training for the last year focusing on the Olympics. For those unfamiliar, Nibali is one of the very few in cycling history who has won all 3 of the 3-week long grand tours (Tour de France, Giro D'Italia, Vuelta a Espana). For the record, Nibali was in the breakaway group of 3 leading the race, and he along with another guy in that break crashed heavily on the steep downhill section in the final 15-20 K of the race.

Nibali is a great rider, but lets be honest, when know you can't beat Froome (or Quintana) in the biggest race, it might make sense to train primarily for something else.

Nibali will win more gran tours I suspect, but it will be the Giro and Vuelta rather than the Tour. He did win in 2014, credit to him. Both Froome and to a lessor extent Contador crashing out had a lot to do with Nibali's win in 2014. Froome otherwise decimated the competition in 2013, 2015, and 2016 - and he was the best rider in 2012 and would have won the race that year as well had he not been working for his teammate Wiggins.

As far as cycling, I'd actually say the Olympics races (road, time trial and pursuit) actually occupy a higher rung than they do in golf. The Olympic tournament in its current incarnation is never going to be more than maybe the 10 or 12 best win of the year for men's golf. In cycling, it might be the 3rd-4th best. Tour winner (general or points classifications), then Tour stages, then world championships and Olympics in 3rd/4th in some order. Except in the minds of the Spaniards and the Italians, the Giro and Vuelta are a pretty big step down from the Tour - behind the Olympics for sure.

Appreciate the exchange from someone else who clearly follows the sport as closely ( if not more so) than I do! From what I recall in the 2014 race, it seemed like Nibali took control of the race early on when they raced the first few stages in the U.K. Maybe Froome and Contador pressed a little harder at that point, resulting in their demise. Agree that Giro and Vuelta don't have the same kind of prestige and cachet that the Tour does, but Froome obviously wants that title as well, given his participation this year. As far as golf at the Olympics, I'll agree that it will take a fair amount of time before its place in the pecking order of championship importance is finally determined, but I don't think it could have gotten off to a much better start, despite the absences.

I knocked Olympic golf but had a change of heart after it was over. I enjoyed it, and really enjoyed the golf course. I don't think it means more than a major, but there's no way you can't be motivated to play for a gold medal. I also think those that skipped regret it, although they'll never admit it.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60, KBS CT Tour, 35"
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I take it you're not an optimist...

I'm very much an optimist. I just don't think professional golf fits the Olympics.

When did that happen?

This is a forum. People debate and disagree and agree and sometimes even 'attack' each other....... LOL!

Sorry. I thought this board had a rule against attacking people. I'll try to think of a good attack on you that's much worse than "sour faced attitude" so I can keep up.

When did that happen?

And I have never had an issue with debate and disagreement. You are the one that appears to have that problem. Otherwise, why resort to the name calling?

Would it be better for you if everyone just agreed with you so you didn't have to accuse them of having a "sour faced attitude"? Or does everyone that disagrees with you have a "sour faced attitude"?

Jordan Spieth on the 2016 Olympics: 'I wished I was there'

“I watched it. I really enjoyed it. It came off I thought tremendous for the game. I enjoyed watching the finish to the Olympics and I wished I was there. At the time I made the decision, it was the right decision for me. And I told you guys in that press conference, it was the hardest thing I’ve had to do. The potential for regret was going to be there and it certainly was while I was watching, so that’s why I Tweeted out, ‘I’m looking forward to setting it as a goal to be there in 2020.'”

“I watched it. I really enjoyed it. It came off I thought tremendous for the game. I enjoyed watching the finish to the Olympics and I wished I was there. At the time I made the decision, it was the right decision for me. And I told you guys in that press conference, it was the hardest thing I’ve had to do. The potential for regret was going to be there and it certainly was while I was watching, so that’s why I Tweeted out, ‘I’m looking forward to setting it as a goal to be there in 2020.'”

LOL... He's young and insanely wealthy.. He'll get over it.

LOL... He's young and insanely wealthy.. He'll get over it.

Hindsight is 20/20,in my opinion he made the right decision.

When did that happen?

We can start with the TV ratings probably. And given some of the other events in The Games, and the number of fans watching them, it doesn't appear that golf has any less of a place than the others.

Sure, everyone has an opinion and nobody is forcing anyone to watch or not watch but aside from personal subjective preference, I can't find any quantifiable reason why it doesn't have a place.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

When did that happen?

We can start with the TV ratings probably. And given some of the other events in The Games, and the number of fans watching them, it doesn't appear that golf has any less of a place than the others.

Sure, everyone has an opinion and nobody is forcing anyone to watch or not watch but aside from personal subjective preference, I can't find any quantifiable reason why it doesn't have a place.

This is a 'personal attack'.......

I think it's my duty to report this to the moderators!

Snigger, snigger, Lmao.....

Didn't it seem that all the golf announcers were way overselling the success of golf at the Olympics? I mean I'm watching the Deutsche Bank championship today and they're still doing it!

In the Bag:

• Titleist 690MB Forged Irons 3-PW
  • TaylorMade M3 Driver with TENSEI Blue Stiff Shaft
  • TaylorMade V-Steel 15° 3-Wood
  • Titleist Spin Milled 56° and 60° Wedges
  • Scotty Cameron Newport Mil-Spec Putter

The number of golf licenses handed out to beginner golfers went up 44% from last year from May through August here in Finland. They're expecting a total growth of 20% for the year and are attributing it to the publicity and TV time Olympic golf received. It would be interesting to see numbers from other countries.

Two great tournaments and increased public interest in the sport. Olympic golf was most definitely a success in my books.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

The number of golf licenses handed out to beginner golfers went up 44% from last year from May through August here in Finland. They're expecting a total growth of 20% for the year and are attributing it to the publicity and TV time Olympic golf received. It would be interesting to see numbers from other countries.

Two great tournaments and increased public interest in the sport. Olympic golf was most definitely a success in my books.

talking-heads-stop-making-sense.jpg

(Stop Making Sense)

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip