2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Olympics Golf: The Official Discussion Thread (merged)

GolfGrouch

http://www.skysports...etwork-of-sport

Justin Rose says golf must remain an Olympic sport

"Having won it now I would love to see golf have a great legacy in the Olympics and carry on," Rose told Sky Sports News HQ.

"I hope it can be like the tennis. You saw the emotion that Andy Murray showed and how much it meant to him. I can only hope that it follows in their footsteps."

"It was great to fly home with some of the Team GB guys. I think that's what has really hit home for me, you are part of a much wider network then your own individual sport."

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan Lochte wallet was detected in X-ray scan at Olympic Village just after he said it was stolen claim police in court papers leading judge to order his passport seized - but he is already back in the US

http://www.dailymail...e-crime-US.html

• Police arrived to the Olympic Village on Wednesday to seize the passports of Ryan Lochte and Jimmy Feigen
  • The two men are under investigation for allegedly lying about the robbery they claimed happened Sunday in Rio
  • The swim team had already moved out of the Village but Feigen may still be in Brazil while Lochte flew home to Florida on Tuesday
  • The judge's order came after seeing video obtained by DailyMail.com of the laughing men returning to the Village after the robbery
  • Investigators claim that the X-ray machine at the Village showed the men were in possession of all belongings they said were stolen on Sunday
  • The two men will now be investigated for the false communication of a crime, which carries a maximum sentence of three years in jail in Brazil

Lochte and Feigen, the only two of the group who have so far given statements to police, claimed they were so drunk they did not know exactly where they were robbed, nor what type of taxi they took to return to the athletes village.

DailyMail.com has learned that police have seized surveillance video from the gas station where the men claimed to have caught their cab, and there is no sign of the four swimmers getting into a vehicle in the early hours of Sunday.

BRAZIL POLICE OFFICIAL: LOCHTE MADE UP STORY ABOUT ROBBERY

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

Ryan Lochte wallet was detected in X-ray scan at Olympic Village just after he said it was stolen claim police in court papers leading judge to order his passport seized - but he is already back in the US

http://www.dailymail...e-crime-US.html

• Police arrived to the Olympic Village on Wednesday to seize the passports of Ryan Lochte and Jimmy Feigen
  • The two men are under investigation for allegedly lying about the robbery they claimed happened Sunday in Rio
  • The swim team had already moved out of the Village but Feigen may still be in Brazil while Lochte flew home to Florida on Tuesday
  • The judge's order came after seeing video obtained by DailyMail.com of the laughing men returning to the Village after the robbery
  • Investigators claim that the X-ray machine at the Village showed the men were in possession of all belongings they said were stolen on Sunday
  • The two men will now be investigated for the false communication of a crime, which carries a maximum sentence of three years in jail in Brazil

Lochte and Feigen, the only two of the group who have so far given statements to police, claimed they were so drunk they did not know exactly where they were robbed, nor what type of taxi they took to return to the athletes village.

DailyMail.com has learned that police have seized surveillance video from the gas station where the men claimed to have caught their cab, and there is no sign of the four swimmers getting into a vehicle in the early hours of Sunday.

BRAZIL POLICE OFFICIAL: LOCHTE MADE UP STORY ABOUT ROBBERY

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

I think the big thing that this Olympic Golf event lacked was just tradition. But tradition is huge in golf and it can't be ignored. The more the Master's is played the more mystique and rich tradition that it collects. For a lot of people out there, golf in Brazil is an afterthought. It only encouraged that feeling when the course was specifically built for this particular event and it'll probably be forgotten about a few weeks after the Olympics are over. But so much of golf is the venue you play in. We all know courses like Augusta National, St. Andrews, Carnoustie, Riviera, Pebble Beach. Golfers are just one half of the equation. The course and history is the other half of the equation. When you merge the two, it creates a must watch event. How is X player going to handle Y course? That creates the intrigue.

My recommendation, is if we want to make Olympic Golf relevant to all the top stars, you have to start establishing some type of tradition or consistency. That, along with the country and pride thing will start to attract the rest of the top golfers. In order to do that, here is my idea:

- Tie the Olympic Golf venue in with a World Golf Championship event. For that the course needs to be built ahead of time. I would say for Tokyo 2020, the course needs to be ready for a WGC event 2017. This also diversifies the WGC events to make them more "worldly" rather than one/two outside the states and the rest in the U.S.

- Put that WGC event right where the Olympics time frame will be and host it that time on that schedule for the next 4 years. Now we are starting to build some consistency for the Olympic venue by tying it in with a WGC event. And because the schedule is going to mirror the Olympic year schedule, players can start to adjust for that years time frame. No more excuses or wild scheduling adjustments by the PGA and Euro tours.

- Hosting it as a WGC event and match the qualifications for the Olympics. Perhaps instead of the top 64 players by World Ranking, you'll get the same type of "field" you would get at an Olympic. Or maybe just keep the top 64 players. Really the only ones we're truly caring about is the top 30 or so, the names we know and pay to go see. In addition, people watching will be more familiar with the course and layout, and the Olympic committee can tweak the course based on lessons learned from the WGC event.

All in all this past Olympic event had all the intrigue of a really great event, just none of the history and familiarity that made it truly watchable for a lot of fans. Making these tweaks could go a long way to help that.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Hybrid: Titleist 818H 21°

Irons: Titleist T150 5-PW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 F-Grind 50° S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Ping Oslo 3

Yeah hard to tell, who is regretting it right now. You know some will regret it later though. That's the effed up thing about regret, it just kind of creeps up on you just when you think you're over it.

Opportunities were missed

thats true.... but as they say , hindsight is 20//20.... i still say the threats were/are legitimate , but i might have regretted not going now that i see everyone survived....

still doesnt change the root issue and thats hosting the games in a 3rd world area and .... they should just designate 15 -20 spots around the globe and alternate ..or build one huge olympic city inside athens and have them there every 4 years... i mean would the "tough guys " saying " the pro men golfers are whimps " say the same if they carried it one step further and had the games in Iran , or Pakistan ? or would that be "no big deal " too ?

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Right now Olympic "fever" is running high. Golf in the Olympics is the greatest thing for golf since the development of wooden tees. We are growing the game and pros are already planning how to win medals four years from now. Those who didn't play have deep regrets. They saw how excited Kuchar got after finishing 3rd in a limited field, limited strength event. What a great 3rd place finish! Kids in Brazil are clambering all over themselves to play golf and grow the game. NOT.

Those kids don't care one whit about golf. They all want to grow up and be on the Brazilian soccer team. Pros motivated to win gold medals? That won't even be on their radar for four more years. Some, like Adam Scott, probably won't even play if qualified, and others who did qualify this year may not qualify the next time around. Olympic gold will not motivate players. Only those at the top of the rankings will be qualified anyway. Olympic golf will be a semi-exciting event for only two weeks, every four years, and it will be exciting then only because we all have Olympic fever. If you don't think Olympic fever is real, just ask Matt Kuchar.

Will it change for Kids in Brazil? I have no clue. But there are kids around the world who got exposed to golf thanks to the olympic coverage. Some small percentage of those kids will take up the game. This is good overall for the game.

In some ways we (people who love golf) got lucky though as we had a great finish that helped make the game of golf look exciting.

Right now Olympic "fever" is running high. Golf in the Olympics is the greatest thing for golf since the development of wooden tees. We are growing the game and pros are already planning how to win medals four years from now. Those who didn't play have deep regrets. They saw how excited Kuchar got after finishing 3rd in a limited field, limited strength event. What a great 3rd place finish! Kids in Brazil are clambering all over themselves to play golf and grow the game. NOT.

Those kids don't care one whit about golf. They all want to grow up and be on the Brazilian soccer team. Pros motivated to win gold medals? That won't even be on their radar for four more years. Some, like Adam Scott, probably won't even play if qualified, and others who did qualify this year may not qualify the next time around. Olympic gold will not motivate players. Only those at the top of the rankings will be qualified anyway. Olympic golf will be a semi-exciting event for only two weeks, every four years, and it will be exciting then only because we all have Olympic fever. If you don't think Olympic fever is real, just ask Matt Kuchar.

Will it change for Kids in Brazil? I have no clue. But there are kids around the world who got exposed to golf thanks to the olympic coverage. Some small percentage of those kids will take up the game. This is good overall for the game.

In some ways we (people who love golf) got lucky though as we had a great finish that helped make the game of golf look exciting.

Agree with that. i ended up watching as I wanted to see stenson win. If not for Rose and Stensons great play it could have been a total snore fest. Sure kuchar had a great 4th round , but the 3 before that were beyond ho-hum. They really lucked out that it was an exciting finish.

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Hopefully the younger players, having watched Justin Rose win a gold medal, will be a bit more motivated than the current crop, then maybe the next crop might be motivated still. Everyone keeps talking about the lack of tradition, but you can't start a tradition by quitting on it after one go 'round because you've pre-decided it was going to fail.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Comparing a whole country of 330 million people vs 1 city, Rio, isn't valid. Lotke was mugged by thugs dressed like cops. Hardly normal anywhere in the USA. Amy Robach from NBC had the same thing happen in Rio a week ago and her cabbie didn't stop or she would have been another victim.

Ahem.

I knew locjte was full of crap.

And I never said that Olympic gold is worth more than a grand slam so you can stop trying to misrepresent my argument. My argument is that it is up there which is what the quotes I provided suggest. Certainly for the top players the Olympics is beyond any non Grand Slam tournament which puts it on the same level as The Players Championship in golf terms. Pretty impressive since it has only been around since 1988.

Changing your tune, I see. Your statement that originally started this diversion is below.

"The Olympic sport that bears closest comparison to golf is tennis. I'm just watching Murray and Del Potro sweat blood for a gold medal having watched Djokovic break down in tears when he was knocked out in early round (he certainly wasn't crying when he lost early at Wimbledon). At some point in the next 20 years an Olympic gold medal in golf will mean as much to the top players as a green jacket or a claret jug. Book it."

Now you're saying that in 20 years winning the Olympic gold would mean as much as winning the Players Championship (and in the tennis world, which is what you and I have been discussing in the past few posts you're now saying the Olympics is the biggest event outside the 4 Grand Slams). Not sure I buy that, but that opinion is reasonable and it's certainly not something worth arguing about.

No my consistent point is that for the top golfers Olympic gold will mean as much as a major just as for the top tennis players it now means as much as a grand slam.

One need only look at your words above to see that your point has been anything but "consistent". "Olympic gold will mean as much as a green jacket or claret jug in 20 years...no, what I meant to say was it will mean as much as the Players Championship...no, actually I meant what I originally said, a Major..." Look, I know the Djoker was very upset about losing last week. Nobody disputes it meant a lot to him, but I have no idea what point you think you're making by dwelling on his emotions after that loss. Anybody who knows the game knows that the 4 grand slam events stand alone in tennis. Nobody would trade a win in one of those tournaments for a gold medal. And in 20 years, just like today, no golfer will be willing to trade a gold medal for a Green Jacket, US Open Trophy, Claret Jug, or Wanamaker Trophy.

I've been away for a couple for a couple of days but I see you've done a good job embarrassing yourself with Justin Rose's comments. It does seem like I was 20 years too cautious with my prediction! It was obvious that my comparison with the Players was just an attempt to meet you half way and not a reflection of my actual position but unfortunately you didn't have the good grace to appreciate that.

I would still be interested to hear why you think Novak Djokovic was crying his eyes out after getting knocked out of the Olympics but didn't do so when he was knocked out of Wimbledon last month (given your contention that he doesn't really value the Olympics as much). However it's pretty obvious that you don't actually have the intellectual honesty to do so.

Back to the topic, I wonder how much better the Tokyo games will be now that golf has proven it's place at the Olympics? Kasumigaseki C.C.looks amazing, especially with those huge bunkers.

I really can not see the same push back from the men we got this time, at least I hope not. It would be a shame if Golf gets dropped from the Olympics thanks to the top men players refusing to participate as that hurts everyone, especially the women who got behind this.

To give you guys an idea of the impact Olympic golf may have:

We have a Whatsapp-group with a bunch of friends who all play different sports. I'm the only one playing golf.

In a small country like Belgium, most of the people who are into sports follow almost all the sports in which we might earn a medal. Given that in the 5 previous Olympics, we averaged about 3 to 4 medals, it's a huge deal when a Belgian athlete has a chance at winning a medal.

After the first 2 days, with Pieters being in contention, a lot of my friends started watching while they were at work. On the final day, they were probably more than 300 messages in our whatsapp group talking about golf. Mind you that none of my friends have ever played or watched golf (not even the Majors or the Ryder Cup when Colsaerts was playing).

2 of them have asked me to take them to a driving range this week, while another 2 have told me they wanted to start playing golf when they stopped playing basketball and football (or soccer as you call it).

So it might not be a big deal in 'merica when Kuchar wins bronze, but in other parts of the world (yes, there is life outside of the US) Olympic golf might actually grow the game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if for the Swedish non-golfers, Stenson's silver medal is seen as a bigger accomplishment than winning The Open.

We have a Whatsapp-group with a bunch of friends who all play different sports. I'm the only one playing golf.

In a small country like Belgium, most of the people who are into sports follow almost all the sports in which we might earn a medal. Given that in the 5 previous Olympics, we averaged about 3 to 4 medals, it's a huge deal when a Belgian athlete has a chance at winning a medal.

After the first 2 days, with Pieters being in contention, a lot of my friends started watching while they were at work. On the final day, they were probably more than 300 messages in our whatsapp group talking about golf. Mind you that none of my friends have ever played or watched golf (not even the Majors or the Ryder Cup when Colsaerts was playing).

2 of them have asked me to take them to a driving range this week, while another 2 have told me they wanted to start playing golf when they stopped playing basketball and football (or soccer as you call it).

So it might not be a big deal in 'merica when Kuchar wins bronze, but in other parts of the world (yes, there is life outside of the US) Olympic golf might actually grow the game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if for the Swedish non-golfers, Stenson's silver medal is seen as a bigger accomplishment than winning The Open.

Yah..I know what you mean. My 76 year old mom wants to take up competitive swimming and my kids all want to play beach volley ball....even though we have no beaches. I myself have this strange desire to play women's field hockey. Olympics....they're a heck of a drug!!

It's quite interesting to hear some factual evidence of the impact of this event, anything remotely positive has to be good.

We have a football chant here in the UK which is "sing when your winning, you only sing when your winning" it's a taunt to opposing fans who were singing while in front and now they are not (winning any longer) they have gone all quiet.

It's wrong to generalise ( I'm going to anyway) but in my experience fans in the US only support winners* and have little time for second place, see Hope Solo. If Rickie Fowler had won gold this place would have be much more positive in it's support for Olympic golf than it is currently, they would have been singing it's praises. Better still imagine if Tiger had played. Imagine if he had won.

My guess is that the next one will have much greater support from the top US (and world) players - the winners, and consequently from US golf fans. Mean while it appears that it is getting a much warmer reception elsewhere. I know I am currently watching the ladies event, something I very rarely do.

I have to say I love the course.

*Apologies to fans of the Kansas City Royals and the Bills, I feel your pain

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

The Royals won the series last year. Agree on the Bills.

I've got to admit that I looked it up, good old reliable wiki, and was surprised to find that it wasn't the Redskins. I've followed them since the days of Theisman but we don't get to see much of them here in the UK, Sky only show winners.

Edit. I've just re-watched the video on youtube where LT breaks his leg and finishes his career. I now feel sick.

Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

It's quite interesting to hear some factual evidence of the impact of this event, anything remotely positive has to be good.

We have a football chant here in the UK which is "sing when your winning, you only sing when your winning" it's a taunt to opposing fans who were singing while in front and now they are not (winning any longer) they have gone all quiet.

It's wrong to generalise ( I'm going to anyway) but in my experience fans in the US only support winners* and have little time for second place, see Hope Solo. If Rickie Fowler had won gold this place would have be much more positive in it's support for Olympic golf than it is currently, they would have been singing it's praises. Better still imagine if Tiger had played. Imagine if he had won.

My guess is that the next one will have much greater support from the top US (and world) players - the winners, and consequently from US golf fans. Mean while it appears that it is getting a much warmer reception elsewhere. I know I am currently watching the ladies event, something I very rarely do.

I have to say I love the course.

*Apologies to fans of the Kansas City Royals and the Bills, I feel your pain

So true, the Bills are always so close to being good yet so far away. At least they have some of the most devout fans in the league who support them despite their mediocrity.

Overall, I think the Olympics came off well, even in the U.S. And I'm happy for Justin Rose, he seems like a great guy and father from afar. There's an ambassadorial quality about him that will positively impact Olympic golf going forward. I recall seeing a few interviews where he commented about how this ranked at the top of his accomplishments when discussing winning a gold medal and the U.S. Open, the impact it had on his son, and much his win resonated beyond the golf world. That type of speak will only encourage more participation while heightening the need for players to pay attention to their ranking in the years leading up to Olympic qualifying.

IMO, that's more interesting than anything the FEDEx cup has ever provided.

I've got to admit that I looked it up, good old reliable wiki, and was surprised to find that it wasn't the Redskins. I've followed them since the days of Theisman but we don't get to see much of them here in the UK, Sky only show winners.

Edit. I've just re-watched the video on youtube where LT breaks his leg and finishes his career. I now feel sick.

I saw that live, I think I dropped my slice of pepperoni pizza when it happened.

I met LT once in a bar. He was a natural 6'3, 240, raw as a bar of iron, not pumped up like the guys now.

Was "chillin" but very menacing, you sensed an energy like a bolt of lightning that could strike in a split second and destroy the whole place.

Only vibe I ever caught like that was seeing a 21 year old Mike Tyson in street clothes grabbing a late night hot dog outside a club. Electric, raw power.

Far as Olympic Golf. I am seriously considering planning on going to Tokyo. Never been and I think it would be very cool.

I saw that live, I think I dropped my slice of pepperoni pizza when it happened.

I met LT once in a bar. He was a natural 6'3, 240, raw as a bar of iron, not pumped up like the guys now.

Was "chillin" but very menacing, you sensed an energy like a bolt of lightning that could strike in a split second and destroy the whole place.

Only vibe I ever caught like that was seeing a 21 year old Mike Tyson in street clothes grabbing a late night hot dog outside a club. Electric, raw power.

Far as Olympic Golf. I am seriously considering planning on going to Tokyo. Never been and I think it would be very cool.

I also saw it live as those were the days when the redskins were winner....... John Riggins, and they were always on the TV. Unfortunately it was live on the box not at the stadium. One day maybe.

Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

I also saw it live as those were the days when the redskins were winner....... John Riggins, and they were always on the TV. Unfortunately it was live on the box not at the stadium. One day maybe.

Ha, dave butz & the hogs!I meant on TV. Football on TV is better unless you have great seats.

im sure those guys are glad they skipped because of the multitude of Zika reports and robberies. What a scary place!!

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

I think Robert allenbee was driving lochte's cab

Felt bad for piller, she was super upset in her interview

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

im sure those guys are glad they skipped because of the multitude of Zika reports and robberies. What a scary place!!

I'm sure having military special forces and intelligence agencies surrounding the area prior and during the event didn't help... oh wait...

And how do you know people didn't get zika? most people that get it don't even have any symptoms.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

I'm sure having military special forces and intelligence agencies surrounding the area prior and during the event didn't help... oh wait...

And how do you know people didn't get zika? most people that get it don't even have any symptoms.

Only 1 out of 5 will show symptoms. Effects won't be known for years if they attempt to have children.

Only 1 out of 5 will show symptoms. Effects won't be known for years if they attempt to have children.

Why is Miami not yet evacuated?

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W