Most Overrated Course

The Links at Lighthouse Sound. The routing was befuddling and there was no flow between the holes for me.

Olde Stonewall. I really enjoy Hurdzan courses and most of the front nine was good, but the back nine was way too contrived. And the Medieval Times clubhouse was off putting.

Bulle Rock. Not from a design standpoint, but terrible service and staff. I wish ownership and management would change hands.

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='2bGood' timestamp='1439403626' post='12124610']
I wil be the guy that puts it out there:

Pebble Beach and St Andrews - Old Course.
I love playing both because of the history and the fact you get see them again on tv of the rest of your life, but remove all of that and just look at the courses:

Pebble is overrated and over priced. Some of the best holes you will play, and some very mediocre holes. Don't get me wrong it is a great course, but not in my view does it deserve to be considered the best (or near the best)

I think the New Course and Jubilee Course are better courses than the Old Course. Saying that playing there and in the region was my best golf experience of my life, but you can argue the course itself does not deserve the rating.
[/quote]I can't believe you just said that, those are my fathers words EXACTLY....LOL

The Old Course, by the layout, terrain, etc is not elite, HOWEVER....it's by all accounts 700 years old, and although has been obviously changed in at least the last 250 years, there is that.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Prineville on kaui. Great view terrible condition. I was shocked at the course.

Chambers Bay. This is my only local claim to glory but it just falls way flat. Over priced and the greens....
Well lets just say that any local that play chambers for the three years leading up to the open could have predicted what the professional reception to the greens would be.
I played Gamble Sands ( DMKs latest design) and frankly it is what chambers should have been. Granted GS is a way easier course but it could be tricked out if needed. Chambers has too many silly holes. Its reception here is "meh".

• 1 month later...

Bay Harbor in Michigan was extremely overrated.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Wolf creek in Mesquite, NV. Its a beautiful course to look at, I just did not enjoy my round at all. Very gimmicky

I have to disagree with you here as I was extremely impressed with the course and conditions. Nothing but dessert in sight minus the golf course and HUGE elevation changes all 18. I couldn't believe someone could even design a course in that location. Plus you get to watch skydivers coming down with a school being right next to the course.

The Links at Lighthouse Sound. The routing was befuddling and there was no flow between the holes for me.

Olde Stonewall. I really enjoy Hurdzan courses and most of the front nine was good, but the back nine was way too contrived. And the Medieval Times clubhouse was off putting.

Bulle Rock. Not from a design standpoint, but terrible service and staff. I wish ownership and management would change hands.

I agree with you on Links and Bulle Rock (never played Stonewall). Both are supposed to be 2 of the best in MD but are house lined throughout. Conditions on both are fantastic but the layout isn't too exciting at Bulle Rock and the staff was not very nice, it is way overpriced and the pace is horrid. Links at Lighthouse Sound was ok but overrated for the hype it gets. Lots of houses on the front 9 but great views of the sound with holes as close as you can get to the water. As long as you get a good deal on golfnow it is worth it.

Wolf creek in Mesquite, NV. Its a beautiful course to look at, I just did not enjoy my round at all. Very gimmicky

I have to disagree with you here as I was extremely impressed with the course and conditions. Nothing but dessert in sight minus the golf course and HUGE elevation changes all 18. I couldn't believe someone could even design a course in that location. Plus you get to watch skydivers coming down with a school being right next to the course.

It's amazing what hydro seeding can do.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

ASU Karsten. I'm a Dye junky but that place is a straight up uninspired dump. TPC Scottsdale is a close second.

Callaway XR16 9* w/ Matrix Ozik Black Tie 6M3
TaylorMade M1 (2016) with Diamana Kai'li 70g
Mizuno MP-H5 2I
Mizuno MP-53 3-P w/ KBS Tour X
Mizuno MP-R12 wedges (52* & 58*)
TaylorMade Itsy Bitsy Spider - Tour Black (DJ Model) w/ Lamkin Sink 11" Squared.
Golf Pride Z-Grip Cords
ProV1x

Not usually a description that typically goes along with a good course design. Dynamite, modern earthmoving equipment and a huge budget allows one to build a course in almost any location, but just because you can, doesn't always mean you should.

Bay Hill. Every time I've played it conditions have been subpar. Go around tournament time or don't go at all.

I'm telling you, and this is gospel. If Arnold Palmer's name wasn't on Bay Hill, it wouldn't be Top 5 in Orlando, much less Florida. Haters will hate, but that's the truth, and I lived at Bay Hill for 4 years. Member at Interlachen, then Lake Nona.

Streamsong Red

I'd love to hear more about this one -- can you expound on Streamsong Red?

I have my own opinions about the resort versus the golf courses but would like to hear your opinion on this one.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I think expectation has a lot to due with this, but I'll be the first one to throw it out there. Troon North. People rave about it constantly but I played both courses and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how they can command the prices and attract the play volume they do, summer or winter. Not that it isn't a good facility, it's definitely good. But cost aside I enjoyed Vista Verde/Tegavah/Verde River (yeah, that's getting a little annoying) just as much. And We Ko Pa Saguaro really hit me with the wow factor I was expecting to get from Troon for a fair bit less money.

I think expectation has a lot to due with this, but I'll be the first one to throw it out there. Troon North. People rave about it constantly but I played both courses and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how they can command the prices and attract the play volume they do, summer or winter. Not that it isn't a good facility, it's definitely good. But cost aside I enjoyed Vista Verde/Tegavah/Verde River (yeah, that's getting a little annoying) just as much. And We Ko Pa Saguaro really hit me with the wow factor I was expecting to get from Troon for a fair bit less money.

I'll agree with you there. I thought it was very good but not out of this world. I also thought the Pinnacle course was a more enjoyable layout than the Monument course. More of a true championship course vs the tricked up Monument course.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Not usually a description that typically goes along with a good course design. Dynamite, modern earthmoving equipment and a huge budget allows one to build a course in almost any location, but just because you can, doesn't always mean you should.

Are you honestly going to tell me that Wolf Creek is not a picturesque and beautiful golf course? Elevation changes make the views that much better and hitting shots that much funner. On top of that, it looks completely natural (minus the grass of course) the way it shaped and laid out.

I know some may disagree with me, but I thought both courses at the World Golf Hall of Fame in Florida were way overpriced and quite boring to be honest. The service was poor in the pro shop as well. I couldn't remember 1 hole from either one of the courses. Just my two cents.....

I agree somewhat. I was there a couple of weeks ago and thought it would be more memorable being the WGHoF. Don't get me wrong the courses are nice and the conditions are pretty good, just not as nice as I though it should be. Staff was great though and they have GolfBoards too!

It's fun reading threads like these, there are as many opinions as there are golf courses, a lot them are overrated but rarely are they dull!

Even before reading the thread just by the title I knew somebody would eventually throw Augusta in there. Not enough shock value in the standard Pebble/Torrey answer I suppose. I do find it interesting that Augusta is bland outside of its 'signature holes.' It's Augusta, which holes are not the signature holes? The entire back 9 is signature.

I live in NC and am around what I consider to be some very good golf, but in my area Forest Oaks would be one of those courses that I guess you could consider somewhat 'overrated.' It isn't really rated at all anymore but for a course that hosted a PGA Tour stop for many years it is surprisingly ordinary. I have to constantly remind myself that it did once host a PGA Tour stop. Without the context Forest Oaks isn't just 'overrated,' it's not even a blip on the radar.

But that's the thing about course ratings. History and context does matter. St. Andrews is great because it's old. It's the Old Course. You can just take the history away from it and judge it independently because the course IS history.

But that's the thing about course ratings. History and context does matter. St. Andrews is great because it's old. It's the Old Course. You can just take the history away from it and judge it independently because the course IS history.

You hit the nail on the head here. Augusta is the same way. Is it overrated as a course? Probably. A lot of these top tier courses have almost religious qualities expounded on them by their patrons. It's still just a golf course. It can be a beautiful course in a beautiful venue. It can have a wonderful, extensive history. It's still just a golf course though. I love golf but I have yet to see a golf course that can rival hiking the Na Pali coast in Kauai. Or rafting through the Grand Canyon.

Although I will say the poster who said he would decline an invite is just being silly. Even if I hated golf I wouldn't decline an invite to a club with a member list full of so many business and political heavy hitters. You never know who you might meet out there. Plus, should you actually warrant an invite from a member imagine the insult you would levy by declining it. Forget golf and think about professional development for a minute.

Are you honestly going to tell me that Wolf Creek is not a picturesque and beautiful golf course? Elevation changes make the views that much better and hitting shots that much funner. On top of that, it looks completely natural (minus the grass of course) the way it shaped and laid out.

I didn't say it wasn't picturesque or beautiful. Just saying those are not elements that necessarily make a good golf course. To be fair, I've never played Wolf Creek, but in my experience, courses with "huge elevation changes, all 18" are seldom good. I've always said one should never pass judgement on a course one has never played, but to be honest, the photos of the place give me a headache and in no way entice me to visit.

I didn't say it wasn't picturesque or beautiful. Just saying those are not elements that necessarily make a good golf course. To be fair, I've never played Wolf Creek, but in my experience, courses with "huge elevation changes, all 18" are seldom good. I've always said one should never pass judgement on a course one has never played, but to be honest, the photos of the place give me a headache and in no way entice me to visit.

On one hand, I can see how some golf purist (so to speak) would not think much of Wolf Creek and find it a bit unnatural.. On another hand, I'm not much of a purist and think it's spectacular. On my third hand, WC is not a course I would want to play every day as it is taxing and the rounds take forever. I also prefer Conestoga and Falcon Ridge over WC but if you've never played WC it's a must for anyone.