2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Most Overrated Course

Since my post last year, I played Streamsong Blue and I would have to add that to the list. Not a bad course but nothing to gush about. I wouldn't call it a great experience though which is why I won't go back.

Yeah both Streamsongs are blah. They both pretty much mix together. There are 3-4 memorable holes between the 36 holes. It's a perfect getaway in the winter but nothing more

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half Moon Bay's Old Course was bland until the finishing hole. The Ocean was spectacular, though.

I loved my experience at Pebble Beach. One of the best experiences ever. However, the design of the course on holes not #6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 17, 18 was a bit underwhelming. If you showed me the second hole, per se, and told me it was $500 to play this course I wouldn't believe you. Don't get me wrong, it was in great shape due to the amount of play and it is a truly amazing place, but I felt myself needing to remind myself that I was at Pebble Beach on the few inland holes.

I actually really enjoyed Trump National Doral, unlike most of the other commenters.

Since my post last year, I played Streamsong Blue and I would have to add that to the list. Not a bad course but nothing to gush about. I wouldn't call it a great experience though which is why I won't go back.

Yeah both Streamsongs are blah. They both pretty much mix together. There are 3-4 memorable holes between the 36 holes. It's a perfect getaway in the winter but nothing more

Can you enlighten me as to a "good" golfing experience? I've been everywhere notable, and have NEVER been blown away, even St. Andrew's......Just curious. I thought Bandon was great, my buddies weren't impressed........To each his own!....LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone nominated East Lake in Atlanta yet? Great greens but except for the last 4 holes the layout is less than inspiring.

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

I also thought Pinehurst #2 was overrated. I played it last year, it was nice and fun to play, but I doubt I'd drop another $500 to play it. I didn't feel like it was that memorable. Whereas I played Whistling Straits and kept looking around and couldn't believe I was in Wisconsin. Some of the views at that place were incredible.

Played Doral last year... it's overrated for a $495 price tag that's for sure.

Pinehurst #2 was overrated before Crenshaw ruined it. Now it's worthless and I'll never go back.

I also thought Pinehurst #2 was overrated. I played it last year, it was nice and fun to play, but I doubt I'd drop another $500 to play it. I didn't feel like it was that memorable. Whereas I played Whistling Straits and kept looking around and couldn't believe I was in Wisconsin. Some of the views at that place were incredible.

Pinehurst #2 was overrated before Crenshaw ruined it. Now it's worthless and I'll never go back.

Buh bye

"Ruined" and "worthless". Wow.

Ping G430 LST 10.5°, Fujikura Ventus Red TR 6X
TaylorMade Stealth Rescue 22° Fujikura Ventus 8X
Miura KM-700, 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 Wedgeworks: 52-12F, 56-10S, 60-04T DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx 
Vokey Limited Edition: 64-04W, DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx
LAB Mezz.1 Arm Lock LAGP White Shaft

What part of the restoration is it that has led to it now being ruined and worthless?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I've always felt Cog Hill #4 was overrated. So better question, what do you feel is a great course?

This.

Top 3

Trump Doral Blue Monster (renovations improved it, but so blah) after awhile the whole fairway and green with rolled edges into the water gets old. I actually preferred the Red Tiger. Silver Fox was still under construction when I played.

Trump LA: More good shots rewarded with poor lies/problems than any course I have ever played

Whistling Straits (Dare I say it this week) Probably one of the worst conditioned courses I have paid so much to play. If I could get out to play it this week I might feel differently. layout and design was amazing.

My first thought was that #2 is one of the most overrated.... now that being said, it is still a fantastic course - just not deserving of the price tag, and the jacked up rankings.

Conversely many on here have listed Whistling Straits as one of the most over rated, but I couldn't disagree more. The Straits is a great track. A test? Sure it is. Unfair? Not at all. I've certainly gotten the good side of the course never posting a score above 78... but last year, just days after the PGA I posted a 75, and the locals told me that very few holes had been cut back since the Sunday. I've played some fantastic courses, and in my opinion it is right there with the best of them.

Another excellent course that I feel is overrated is, dare I say it, Pebble Beach. Location is super, and there are some great holes... but best public course in the US? $500+ green fees? I don't know. As with #2, Pebble has history on it's side. Would I play there again? In a heart beat. I love it every time I'm there...but for me there is no denying that it is generally well overrated.

Wolf creek in Mesquite, NV. Its a beautiful course to look at, I just did not enjoy my round at all. Very gimmicky

Completely agree. Wrote a review recently. $200 and the green conditions were average muni. Grown out and bumpy. Layout was VERY gimmicky. Good for 4-6 holes. Not 18.

That uphill par 3 is like 40 ft elevation... What's the point of hitting 175 up into a green you cannot see??

When did you play it?

I played it in April of 2015 and absolutely loved it. It is easily one of my top 3 most memorable rounds and I'm itching to get back there. The course was in great condition then, but I can imagine that it may get beat up a bit from the desert heat in the summer.

Funny, I want to go only because of the restoration. I had no interest before.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

All of the scottsdale courses, and scottsdale in general.

Great thread. Up to this point, I really enjoyed the discussion.

Do you disagree?

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

In my opinion it's a better course after the restoration... Back to its Sandhills roots.

They say you can't lose balls on #2... But that couldn't be further from the truth... As with other courses in the Pinehurst area, that wire grass seemingly devours balls, never to be found again. Too many times have I hit what I thought was a borderline perfect shot, only to find the ball has vanished. It's turned 70's to 80's... But that's really just my fault.

Can you enlighten me as to a "good" golfing experience? I've been everywhere notable, and have NEVER been blown away, even St. Andrew's......Just curious. I thought Bandon was great, my buddies weren't impressed........To each his own!....LOL

Erin Hills is one hell of an experience. I loved every second of it. I can't wait to get back this year. I was sad walking up 18 that it was over. It's very similar to Streamsong in that it's packaged as "pure golf"

Streamsong was just alright. Like I said, I only remember like 3 or 4 holes, the rest are all pretty much the same. Maybe it's how both courses look exactly line one another.

Wolf creek in Mesquite, NV. Its a beautiful course to look at, I just did not enjoy my round at all. Very gimmicky

I have to disagree with you here as I was extremely impressed with the course and conditions. Nothing but dessert in sight minus the golf course and HUGE elevation changes all 18. I couldn't believe someone could even design a course in that location. Plus you get to watch skydivers coming down with a school being right next to the course.

So, your argument against a guy who called the course gimmicky is to talk about wild elevation changes and skydivers? Not to mention ice cream and cake as far as the eye can see...

Dormie Club gets my vote for most overrated among well-known courses I've played. A good course no doubt, but it gets pretty sloggish from 7-13 and I just don't love playing it as a result. The ebb and flow of the holes feels off - even though I like all the holes in concept, the course overall feels weaker than the sum of its parts.

In my opinion it's a better course after the restoration... Back to its Sandhills roots.

They say you can't lose balls on #2... But that couldn't be further from the truth... As with other courses in the Pinehurst area, that wire grass seemingly devours balls, never to be found again. Too many times have I hit what I thought was a borderline perfect shot, only to find the ball has vanished. It's turned 70's to 80's... But that's really just my fault.

I agree I haven't played it but I am far more intrigued now. Something about the old wall to wall green in that area just didn't seem right, also I'm a sucker for the C&C look.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Well this was as disappointing as watching my chihuahua trying to mount the neighbors Saint Benard.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Easy: SPYGLASS HILLS. Two interesting holes in the dunes and then it's basically Poppy Hills II through the woods. Will never go back.

Really? Must be played a few times to really appreciate it but a classic, al be it brutal course. But to each their own.

Pass. For $350 i'd rather go whale watching.

Or if you still want to play fun, challenging, inland - yet near the ocean - golf in/near Monterey, you can play Poppy, Bayonet, Blackhorse, and Pasatiempo, and have a good chunk of change left.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Well this was as disappointing as watching my chihuahua trying to mount the neighbors Saint Benard.

I will gift you $5 to change that font brother

I have to disagree with you here as I was extremely impressed with the course and conditions. Nothing but dessert in sight minus the golf course and HUGE elevation changes all 18. I couldn't believe someone could even design a course in that location. Plus you get to watch skydivers coming down with a school being right next to the course.

So, your argument against a guy who called the course gimmicky is to talk about wild elevation changes and skydivers? Not to mention ice cream and cake as far as the eye can see...

Dormie Club gets my vote for most overrated among well-known courses I've played. A good course no doubt, but it gets pretty sloggish from 7-13 and I just don't love playing it as a result. The ebb and flow of the holes feels off - even though I like all the holes in concept, the course overall feels weaker than the sum of its parts.

Since mountain courses are my favorite type of course...um, yeah I will mention elevation changes. An east coaster going to a Nevada course is expecting flat desert and gets something completely different; and it is natural for the most part. If you prefer flat courses this is not for you but I consider flat to equal BORING.

I like challenges and the course is extremely hard. Why UCbananaboy didn't like it is beyond me but to each there own. He mentioned the uphill par 3 which is hard but forgot to mention the 3-4 downhill par 3's which are extremely beautiful with streams and flower beds.

I mentioned sky divers because how often do you honestly see this. Does this make the course "gimmicky?" I thought it was just a rare sight on a golf course. Sorry if they would be too distracting for you but I'm guessing you also consider the grass growing to be too loud.

every time I see one of these lengthy course opinion threads I always wonder how many opinion givers played the courses from the championship tees!

Very few, if any, courses play similarly from the different tees.

If you aren't playing from the back, you aren't playing the whole course!

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter