Most Overrated Course

[quote name='2bGood' timestamp='1439403626' post='12124610']
I wil be the guy that puts it out there:

Pebble Beach and St Andrews - Old Course.
I love playing both because of the history and the fact you get see them again on tv of the rest of your life, but remove all of that and just look at the courses:

Pebble is overrated and over priced. Some of the best holes you will play, and some very mediocre holes. Don't get me wrong it is a great course, but not in my view does it deserve to be considered the best (or near the best)

I think the New Course and Jubilee Course are better courses than the Old Course. Saying that playing there and in the region was my best golf experience of my life, but you can argue the course itself does not deserve the rating.
[/quote] I applaud you for your comments on Pebble Beach. Many mediocre holes. If it wasn't for it's history it wouldn't make the top 50 courses in the US. Bandon Dunes and the new Coore Crenshaw course at Cabot in Nova Scotia has Pebble Beach beaten by a mile. Actually I think Spyglass is a much better track overall than Pebble. I have not played the Old Corse so I can't say but I have heard from many a good golfer that it also is way overrated.. Again, history trumps the oversll quality of the course. That's not to say I wouldn't play it once or twice when I eventually get to Scotland.

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chamber Bay, and I even played it back when it was around $100. Went there to watch the US Open and all the complaints that everyone had were all issues that I had when I played there (6 different green speeds, shaggy greens, etc)

What really pissed me off was they neglected to mention that there were 6 temp greens in play and all the fairways would have nets in them. Nothing like approaching your second shot on the first hole and the forecaddie says ,"well its about 146 to the temp green from here."

[quote name='novakjrp1' timestamp='1441051225' post='12240824']
I went on a golf trip in the SF Bay area over a year ago and played Pebble Beach, Pasatiempo, and Harding Park. Played Pebble first and experienced what many people that played it have said, it's a very hard course to rate in some respects because the spectacular holes truly are spectacular. It is something more than just golf. The inland holes are good, some even very good, however they are somewhat of a let down after your have played the previous 6 holes along Carmel Bay. #17 was not what I expected either, somewhat of a let down when you are on the tee box. However 18 definitely leaves a lasting positive impression on you. Biggest disappointment with Pebble in my opinion is that it really wasn't a "superbly" conditioned course. Obviously I understand it's a public course, however i still expected better conditions.

The day after I played Pebble, I played Pasatiempo in Santa Cruz. Played with a member who asked me on the first tee what other courses I had played on my trip? I told him Pebble. He looked right at me and said, "yeah, well when you're done playing this course you will think this course kicks Pebble's a**!" I thought to myself, sure old man, sure I will. But I'll tell you what, he wasn't too far off. Pasatiempo was one of the best courses that I ever played, public or private. It got better and better as the round went on. I find myself thinking back more about Pasatiempo then I do about Pebble. I know most people that have played both will think I'm crazy, but it is what it is. I'm not saying Pasa is better than Pebble Beach, I'm just saying that I liked it better.

Third course I played on the trip was Harding Park. While it's a nice enough course, it felt like a let down after playing Pebble and Pasatiempo.
[/quote]

One thing I definitely agree with is that the course conditions at Pebble were a major letdown. I expected the course to be in pristine shape for a couple of reasons a) it's ranked as a top-5 course and b) their budget has to be massive considering what the greens fee is and how booked they are. I was blown away at how slow the greens were and how many unfilled divots were all over the golf course. The greens couldn't have been rolling more than 8 1/2. And I understand that the rounds already take a long time due to the views and the immense amount of pictures people take (I too took wayy too many) and that if the greens were too fast you'd never get people around in under 6 hours; however, they could've been a little faster/smoother. That's one thing Spyglass has on Pebble all day. The course conditions at Spyglass were WAY better than at Pebble.

I really enjoyed Pasatiempo; however, I will say that I played during their restoration and there were some holes on the back 9 that were a little bit of letdown because of the project going on. Lots of places where greens and parts of fairways were roped off, which just take away from the aesthetics of the course. I'm also pretty sure we had a temp green at one point, though it's been so long, I'm not certain of it. Still a great track, no doubt about it.

Titleist TSi3 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5
TaylorMade RSI 3 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW - KBS C Taper X
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54* SB - KBS C Taper S
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS C Taper S
Custom Cameron & Crown Mallet 1 or Futura 5W w/ custom flow neck
TaylorMade TP5x 

I am a firm believer that it is the price and expectation at Pebble that have some ranking it here. For ambiance and layout it is tough to beat. That said I have played it when the greens were running 8-9. Usually though they are 9-10.5. Conditioning has always been excellent. Better than other top courses I have played.... Bandon, Whistling Straits, Arcadia Bluffs included.

For me it's Pelican Hills and TPC Scottsdale (Stadium course). Without the big grandstand on the par 3 16th hole, it's a below average par 3.

Titleist TSR3 10° Diamana ZF 60S
Titleist TSR2 16.5° Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Titleist  818H1 21° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-95X

Srixon ZX4/ZX5/ZX7 MKII 4-PW Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Cleveland RTX4 50° (mid), 54° (mid) TI DG S400

Cleveland RTX6 58° (low) TI DG S400
Byron Morgan DH89 34/350

Doral pre Trump, just another Florida course to me.

Trump Los Angeles, good shape, but the course is an average course, with a good location (ocean views).

Glen Abbey, home to the Canadian Open and a Nicklaus design. The layout is very mundane, until you hit the back nine valley holes, it is a good spectator course.

Torrey is def overated. I've never played pebble and never will for $500. Torrey not on the coast would just be a long hard RTJ course and there are hundreds of those. I thought streamsong was a cool course but wasn't blown away. also played like crap so I never got to hit many shots as they were advertised.

[quote name='vallygolf' timestamp='1441130870' post='12246188']
I am a firm believer that it is the price and expectation at Pebble that have some ranking it here. For ambiance and layout it is tough to beat. That said I have played it when the greens were running 8-9. Usually though they are 9-10.5. Conditioning has always been excellent. Better than other top courses I have played.... Bandon, Whistling Straits, Arcadia Bluffs included.
[/quote]I have had the opportunity to play pebble twice and vollenteer for the AT&T several occasions. Ocean side fairways and greens are beautiful as long as your looking toward the ocean. The remaining 9 plus holes are not that spectacular with the mansions that look like mortuaries. And how they capitalize on calling pebble "links" is beyond me.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Any of the post Valderrama European Ryder Cup venues, they have been universally poor and are now overrated due having had a Ryder Cup.

The Belfry especially is just plain bad.

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

[quote name='BrooklynGolfer' timestamp='1439411840' post='12125456']
Tallgrass, Long Island....Somehow it manages to creep into top public NY courses....looks and plays like an open cow field to me.....horribly overrated.
[/quote]

So boring and terrible conditions, pro staff hasn't got a clue how to provide customer service. Payed $50+ and called ahead to confirm no aeration on greens, showed up and greens were aerated, no refund. F- overall

[quote name='double_d' timestamp='1439408165' post='12125064']
The Ocean Course at Kiawah is better than Pebble Beach and has more seaward holes. It's also more difficult.

There. I said it.

I know many people who agree and few who disagree personally.

If you haven't played both, your vote doesn't count.
[/quote]

Played both and completely agree!

Epic Project X LZ 6.0
Epic 15* Project X LZ 6.0
19* and 23* Titleist 916H2
2018 X-Forged Proj X 5-P
MD3 50, 54, 58
PXG Dagger

I will limit this list to courses I've played:

The Blue Monster @ Doral. Just nothing good to say about it. Overbearing, brown-nosing staff, very ordinary layout, extremely high fees, slightly above average condition, ugh. That said, it has improved significantly since Trump bought it, which should tell you something about where it was when he took it over.

Biltmore. It's easy to walk. That is where the compliments end. Well, OK, the neighborhood is nice, at least it's got this going over the Blue Monster.

The Scarlet Course at Ohio State University. Yes, it's long, and it has complex green complexes, but there is nothing memorable about the design. The conditioning is okay. In their defense, the course gets so much play, keeping the condition "okay" is a significant feat. Too many other great options in the area to choose this one.

TPC Sawgrass. Granted, I played this before they pumped a bunch of money into it, so it may be better now.

Bear's Best Atlanta was really good before 2008. When the caddy program collapsed and they started hosting corporate outings every other day, the pace of play ground to a frustrating halt and the conditioning is not what it should be. Too bad, as I've got a lot of great memories here before the big golf crash.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I would say that Bay Harbor in Michigan was EXTREMELY overrated as was the Gailes at Lakewood Shores Resort in Michigan.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

[quote name='Tarheelnation3' timestamp='1439397434' post='12124008']
Pelican Hill (Orange County California)
Trump (Los Angeles)
[/quote]

Peoican is a fun course and interesting design if it was $150 for prime time, not double that.

Oak Creek in Irvine, (Orange county, CA) is probably the most overrated course I have ever played. It would be great if it was $50, lol. The course is just not that pretty design wide and the holes feel repetitive. Also the bunker designs are total eye sores.

[quote name='thehottsauce' timestamp='1440016874' post='12171494']
Maderas - Poway CA
The Crossings - Carlsbad CA
Encinitas Ranch - Encinitas CA

Southern California people love these courses. As far as I'm concerned they're wrong.
[/quote]

I think the crossings is fun, but for $50 not more than that, it's nothing that great but enjoyable.

I would also add Maderas to the overrated list. Some holes were just straight up crap after thoughts and they were bad enough to make me not really like the course. So much annoying elevation change too

1) Ballyneal: just way overdone IMO. Excessive mounding on many greens and over-the-top shaping on many fairways. Great people and service, but the course just lacks the touch needed to be great. I am a Doak fan, but this is a miss IMO.

2) Oakmont: if the greens and fairways weren't rock hard, and the rough knee deep, this course would be nothing. A lot of blind shots, and fairways that direct even great drives into the rough. Taking out EVERY tree was a mistake, because the noise pollution from the PA Turnpike creates a background roar on every single hole on the property. The emperor has no clothes.

3) Torrey Pines: an okay course with spectacular views, but not "major" worthy IMO.

4) Olympia Fields: not sure why this was chosen for a major. A medium good parkland course with not much going for it.

To ask about most overrated is an interesting question and becomes very very subjective. Now value - rating/playability versus cost becomes a totally different item.

I played Pebble and still wonder why the rating except it must count for history. It is a very good course but has several poor holes as well. Have not had any desire to go back. Trump Doral (pre-renovation) was another ho-hummer. As was Pinehurst #2 pre-renovation. After renovation, its a lot better course and is worth playing more than once to figure out greens.

Wolf Creek is an experience that must be done just to be experienced. As another poster said, its not that difficult if you're long and straight. But has a couple of silly holes - par 3 almost straight up. par-4 with 280 carry over water. (10). etc. But standing on some of those tee boxes is something else, especially if one is acrophobic. Chambers bay is a decent layout overall with abysmal conditioning and seriously over priced.

Whistling straits is a tough layout with some idiotic design features. I mean over 1000 bunkers, really, many of them are definitely show only to say they have lots of bunkers. Personally I happen to like 18 but if you're very long, that might be different. TPC sawgrass varies by what they want the conditions to be like. I've seen it super super tough and super easy over the years. Didn't care for taking out most of the scrub brush but understand why they did it. too tough for pro's and spectators.

I still can't remember a hole at Spanish Bay - really forgettable. Erin Hills has some nice holes but there were several that I've seen that they've already changed the green complexes on as there were almost no options for pin placements.

To honest, I haven't had a chance to play Kiawah. they are not very helpful nor forgiving for the disabled player and have strongly discouraged me from coming.

[quote name='kadillackountry' timestamp='1439408918' post='12125150']
[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1439405858' post='12124840']
[quote name='golfandfishing' timestamp='1439394085' post='12123642']
I'll get grief for this, but Quintero is way overrated IMO.
[/quote]

No grief from me. I agree with you.
[/quote]
I'll bite. Must not have been hitting the driver straight. There are some things to complain about (similar club in hand on all the Par 3s), but all in all that is a spectacular track. One is hard pressed to find better golf in the Phoenix area for public consumption. It competes with the best tracks out here (Southern Dunes, Troon North, Greyhawk, WeKoPa) and is never over priced like several on that list.
[/quote]
+1. Love Quintero.

Cobra Ltdx LS 10.5. 

M3 3HL

cobra tec 2 and 4 hybrids
Cobra mim tour
PXG Forged wedges
Scotty Special Select Newport 2

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='MrTmag' timestamp='1439690372' post='12145550']
Augusta is a very overrated course in my opinion. I think it's image and history overshadow the actual course which isn't all that special in my eyes. I know it's on most golfers bucket list but I'd honestly decline the invitation to play there if I was ever offered.
[/quote]

I'll agree with the over-rated part, but call BS on declining the invite. I think the place is chock full of The Emperor's New Clothes but would play in a heartbeat and wear the entire club house wardrobe while doing so.

...and probably mark my ball with the little green & yellow ball marker for the rest of my life, too.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

[quote name='Jdaws012' timestamp='1443030206' post='12356780']
The most overrated course I have ever played in TPC Sawgrass. If there was no 17th island green, we would never hear about the place. Very tough golf course, especially off of the tee. Great test of your game, but was not very impressed.
[/quote]

Thank you, absolutely spot on. For an average or below-average ball striker, the course is very difficult, but simply being difficult does not make for a good golf course.

I played it before they put a bunch of $$ into it, but unless they TNT'd the entire course and started from scratch, my opinion of the course won't change.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Hands down Spanish Bay. $270 to play a course in the condition of a run of the mill muni goat track is not my idea of fun.

Ping G410 - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60 Stiff
915F 3w
913H (19) - Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY
Titleist AP3 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Vokey SM7 (48, 54 & 60)
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 (2012)

[quote name='dan360' timestamp='1443031021' post='12356892']
[quote name='MrTmag' timestamp='1439690372' post='12145550']
Augusta is a very overrated course in my opinion. I think it's image and history overshadow the actual course which isn't all that special in my eyes. I know it's on most golfers bucket list but I'd honestly decline the invitation to play there if I was ever offered.
[/quote]

I'll agree with the over-rated part, but call BS on declining the invite. I think the place is chock full of The Emperor's New Clothes but would play in a heartbeat and wear the entire club house wardrobe while doing so.

...and probably mark my ball with the little green & yellow ball marker for the rest of my life, too.
[/quote]

Would't using the Emperor's new clothes idiom here imply that there is false value assigned to the course? The course is fantastic, and deserves the admiration that it gets. The Masters tends to get overblown, but Augusta National deserves that rating it has.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='HoffTTM' timestamp='1441350551' post='12261722']
Any of the post Valderrama European Ryder Cup venues, they have been universally poor and are now overrated due having had a Ryder Cup.

The Belfry especially is just plain bad.
[/quote]

I agree that the Belfry is just not very nice. Plus the weather [s]sucked[/s] was typical when I played it.

Cobra F8+ Diamana Blue S
Taylormade M1 15º, 19° Matrix Black Tie S
Royal Collection BBD VS, Shimada S 4-P
Axis1 Tour, 35"
Ben Hogan 51º
Anthem 56°
Miura 59°

I will agree with some others who mentioned Spyglass Hill. The course itself was nice enough but I was left thoroughly disappointed and can't believe they get that many players to plunk down $400.00 to play the course. I hope to play Pebble again in my life but won't play SH.

I also was expecting more from Disney Magnolia. I think I paid like $65.00 to play it but as a former tour course I wasn't left impressed.

Several years ago I played Trump LA and just felt it was fake. It was like every grade of grass was laid out on an architectural plan before they put it down. I enjoyed the round but it just felt weird. I also didn't pay for the round which is probably impacting why I don't hate it as much as others.

[quote name='jumanji' timestamp='1444156180' post='12418772']
Several years ago I played Trump LA and just felt it was fake. It was like every grade of grass was laid out on an architectural plan before they put it down. I enjoyed the round but it just felt weird.
[/quote]

Isn't that a fair description of the entire city of los angeles? Seems like Trump built a course that fits right in...

• 2 weeks later...