Which iron do I get?

Noahlevine2145

Okay so I have the mizuno mp 15 irons and I love the look and feel of them but, my club fitter at the academy I go to said that I am loosing like 20 yards with them, anyway as much as I love them I agreed

Which irons can I get that will give me that forgiveness, not look like a block and feel like a rock but also is not all names and releases like taglirmade

Please help with what heads I should get

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably a shaft problem. Have not heard of the 15's being short.

But if you're dead set on new irons, maybe buy something with jacked up lofts. Try 545's.

Or, find someone at your golf academy that isn't a tard that can put you on a scope with different shafts. Shafts are cheaper than clubs.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

[quote name='Kingcat990' timestamp='1442092894' post='12304958']Probably a shaft problem. Have not heard of the 15's being short.

But if you're dead set on new irons, maybe buy something with jacked up lofts. Try 545's.

Or, find someone at your golf academy that isn't a tard that can put you on a scope with different shafts. Shafts are cheaper than clubs.[/quote]no like they are to thin so when I Mishit them I lose tons of distance

[quote name='Kingcat990' timestamp='1442101503' post='12305440']Don't get new irons. I'd play those 15's till you strike them right. If you need more forgiveness, then the jpx series are your friends.[/quote]what about Titleist Tmb

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1442097453' post='12305232']What did your club fitter recommend?[/quote]just somthing more forgiving

Titleist TMB's would be pretty sweet, and they'd be nice to look at. If you're not brand specific, the options are unlimited. Just can't believe your instructor suggested clubs over shafts. Or failed to instruct in avoiding hitting thin.

I don't normally project my expierences in someone's thread, but I jumped around SGI/GI irons for quite a few years. It wasn't till I purchased a set of RAZR X mb's that I found I preferred a MB. I have 545's with Nippon 980's and I don't hit them anywhere near as well as I do my FH1000's with S200's. I just preferred a heavier club. My miss was thin and toe. I hit heavier irons all up in the sweet spot.

So, without getting absolutely flamed, go try a blade with a heavier shaft.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

[quote name='Kingcat990' timestamp='1442101993' post='12305474']Titleist TMB's would be pretty sweet, and they'd be nice to look at. If you're not brand specific, the options are unlimited. Just can't believe your instructor suggested clubs over shafts. Or failed to instruct in avoiding hitting thin.

I don't normally project my expierences in someone's thread, but I jumped around SGI/GI irons for quite a few years. It wasn't till I purchased a set of RAZR X mb's that I found I preferred a MB. I have 545's with Nippon 980's and I don't hit them anywhere near as well as I do my FH1000's with S200's. I just preferred a heavier club. My miss was thin and toe. I hit heavier irons all up in the sweet spot.

So, without getting absolutely flamed, go try a blade with a heavier shaft.[/quote] are the Tmb more forgiving?

PING I will look classic and be about as forgiving as you can get in a small head. It's not forged but they feel great (T-MB isn't forged either, FYI).

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Loft is loft

Mizuno has traditional lofts

Forgiveness is whole different matter if you have too much club for your game....

Mp15 is phenomenal iron and is fairly easy to hit.....if you have wrong shaft than it doesn't matter what head it's in you will struggle....

If you can't find center of face your gonna find most irons won't really perform.....with any iron you still need some sort of consistency...

I would say stick with em if shaft is correct....you will adjust and there is plenty of help there if you dial in swing a lil better

And I would dump that fitter...he has it all backwards....the fact he would even state what he did is horrifying

[quote name='Noahlevine2145' timestamp='1442089049' post='12304750']
Okay so I have the mizuno mp 15 irons and I love the look and feel of them but, my club fitter at the academy I go to said that I am loosing like 20 yards with them,

[/quote]

Stop talking to that club fitter.

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

[quote name='dunn' timestamp='1442109059' post='12305924']Loft is loft

Forgiveness is whole different matter if you have too much club for your game....

Mp15 is phenomenal iron and is fairly easy to hit.....if you have wrong shaft than it doesn't matter what head it's in you will struggle....

If you can't find center of face your gonna find most irons won't really perform.....with any iron you still need some sort of consistency...

I would say stick with em if shaft is correct....you will adjust and there is plenty of help there if you dial in swing a lil better

And I would dump that fitter...he has it all backwards....the fact he would even state what he did is horrifying[/quote]i know what your saying but he means that they are blades and I am not an amazing ball striker per say so I would need somthing that helps me more not necessarily the chunkiest club but somthing more friendly

[quote name='square' timestamp='1442109647' post='12305976'][quote name='Noahlevine2145' timestamp='1442089049' post='12304750']
Okay so I have the mizuno mp 15 irons and I love the look and feel of them but, my club fitter at the academy I go to said that I am loosing like 20 yards with them,

[/quote]

Stop talking to that club fitter.[/quote]he is great and he knows what he is doing

[quote name='Noahlevine2145' timestamp='1442110921' post='12306066']

[quote name='square' timestamp='1442109647' post='12305976'][quote name='Noahlevine2145' timestamp='1442089049' post='12304750']

[/quote]

Stop talking to that club fitter.[/quote]he is great and he knows what he is doing
[/quote]

The guy who claims you are "losing 20 yards" with your irons either knows nothing about golf , is trying to sell you some new irons, or both.
You would be better off spending your money on some technique instruction to help yourself become a more consistent ball striker.

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

[quote name='dunn' timestamp='1442109059' post='12305924']
Loft is loft

And I would dump that fitter...he has it all backwards....the fact he would even state what he did is horrifying
[/quote]With the way todays irons are configured, numbers may not mean a lot. At a Demo Days I was hitting Cobra SGI irons and Cleveland GI irons. I hit the SGI 7 iron just about exactly the same distance as the GI 6 iron. Upon further investigation, I found out the SGI 7 iron had slightly less loft (30.5) vs. the GI 6 iron (31). I'm not sure that todays clubs are really that much longer. I do think some shift in weighting may help some individuals get the ball in the air better and help a bit on miss hits and todays balls are better. Better shafts can help and theoretically a longer shaft should help the ball go further albeit at a risk of losing accuracy. Loft and club length are readily available on line, so when determining which club is longer, at lease try to match it up with a club of similar loft regardless of the number on the bottom of the club. If you love the looks and feel of your current clubs and can get the ball on the green, isn't that what its all about anyway? Those are really beautiful clubs. Happy golfing.

[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Driver - Cobra Fly Z with Oban red[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] 3 Wood - Adams 16*[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] 3 Hybrid - Calloway X2 Hot Pro 19*[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] 4 Iron - Hogan Ft Worth Hi - KBS Tour 90 - R Flex[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2] Irons - 5-PW - Miura 1957 BB - Nippon Pro 1050GH - R Flex[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2] Wedge 51* - Hogan TK [/size][/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- KBS Tour 90 - R Flex[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2] Wedges 55* & 59* - Miura 1957 C Grind - KBS Wedge - S Flex[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2] Putter - DeLaCruz CP-2[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/size]

Depending on your age, I'd suggest sticking with the 15's. Yes they're not the most forgiving and might cause you to lose some distance now but once you get in the groove with them, you'll be able to hit anything. I used shovels for a bit and as nice as it was to throw my arms at the ball, it didn't do me any favors in becoming a better player.

If you want something in between, look at Wilson FG Tour M3 or the new FG Tours. Even Nike or Bridgestone would be a strong recommendation.

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

[quote name='dunn' timestamp='1442113455' post='12306238']
Ask him.....he is your fitter, seen your swing and knows you.....nobody here has clue about you
[/quote]
This. If he is your fitter and you trust him why not ask him what he recommends. If his answer is "something more forgiving" then maybe he doesn't deserve the credit you're giving him. Honestly.

I reckon it would be a better idea to try and work on your swing and figure out why your clubs aren't performing as well as they should instead of trying to hide the flaw with new irons.

Good luck.

TaylorMade SIM Max - 6M3 X

Titleist 906F4 - Whiteboard 83 X

TaylorMade TP UDI 2 - Modus 120 X

Mizuno MP-37 3-9 - S300

TaylorMade MG raw 50-12, 58-08, 60-07 - S300 (50), X7 (58, 60)

Scotty Cameron Newport AoP PP

Like others have said, the shaft could be the culprit if it's an extreme mismatch in swing attributes/strength but if you're in the ball park, it's probably an issue with your impact position and/or ability to make center contact. Loss of 15 yards due to an equipment problem with your irons sounds fishy.

Also: if he claims that you are losing 20 yards with the MP-15's what is that based on? Have you pitted them up against a different set of clubs?

If he fitted you for those clubs in the first place I would ask to get my money back.

TaylorMade SIM Max - 6M3 X

Titleist 906F4 - Whiteboard 83 X

TaylorMade TP UDI 2 - Modus 120 X

Mizuno MP-37 3-9 - S300

TaylorMade MG raw 50-12, 58-08, 60-07 - S300 (50), X7 (58, 60)

Scotty Cameron Newport AoP PP

[quote name='oskaru' timestamp='1442421114' post='12322308']Also: if he claims that you are losing 20 yards with the MP-15's what is that based on? Have you pitted them up against a different set of clubs?

If he fitted you for those clubs in the first place I would ask to get my money back.[/quote]like when j Mishit it

[quote name='square' timestamp='1442109647' post='12305976']
[quote name='Noahlevine2145' timestamp='1442089049' post='12304750']

[/quote]

Stop talking to that club fitter.
[/quote]

Agreed. That is just a silly statement. Though you likely are losing 20 yards if your hitting it low toe vs. on center hits. If this is the case, new tools in your hands isn't going to change your bad swing.

Curious, did this 'fitter' also sell you into your current 15's?

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

[quote name='Noahlevine2145' timestamp='1442089049' post='12304750']my club fitter at the academy I go to [/quote]

Trying not to get too off topic here, but I'm confused. It seems as though you go to a golf academy, but a club fitter there is telling you you need more forgiving irons because you are "loosing like 20 yards with them"? What are they teaching you at this (golf?) academy, if not how to improve your game? Is the fitter saying even with a swing coach you aren't able to be consistent with your irons?

Mizuno claims the MP-15s are for 0-8 handicap, are you way outside of that range?

I'd have to say at this point your best option is to follow dunn's advise. If your fitter is in fact "great and he knows what he is doing" he will get you headed in the right direction way better than random people on the internet ever could.

[quote name='Bama87' timestamp='1442424307' post='12322578']
[quote name='Noahlevine2145' timestamp='1442089049' post='12304750']my club fitter at the academy I go to [/quote]

I'd have to say at this point your best option is to follow dunn's advise. If your fitter is in fact "great and he knows what he is doing" he will get you headed in the right direction way better than random people on the internet ever could.
[/quote]

If you trust the people you know in your real life, do you ever come to the interweb to justify it after? It would be great if CEO's would do this (I believe big corps have a social obligation but that's a whole other thing) and actually listen vs. their peirs, but for the most part people should still question everything. Personally this is just too weird a situation to handle as you should trust your coach to see you through whatever it is your working on, but if a fitter is all of a sudden coming into the picture telling you what you need, then you should leave both or have a discussion as a group to see what direction this is going other than deeper into your wallet.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

I'm partial to s55 myself.... But the new ping I series looks fantastic too and there have been some great reviews from them.

That being said (I'm gonna hate myself for saying this) but if your miss is thin, aren't the tmag irons with the face slots built for that miss. I am NOT a tmag fan, but I hit them and they are nice (kinda spinny) and forgiving (I'm a slider driver myself so thin is my miss as well). They look good.

Another thought would be to try and work out your kinks. I bought some new irons and struggled greatly with them for a time (same specs as my prior set) but it was just mental garbage. I am still playing the set 3 years later) and wishing that I bought another as my grooves are fading fast.

Hope this helps

[quote name='Bama87' timestamp='1442424307' post='12322578'][quote name='Noahlevine2145' timestamp='1442089049' post='12304750']my club fitter at the academy I go to [/quote]

Trying not to get too off topic here, but I'm confused. It seems as though you go to a golf academy, but a club fitter there is telling you you need more forgiving irons because you are "loosing like 20 yards with them"? What are they teaching you at this (golf?) academy, if not how to improve your game? Is the fitter saying even with a swing coach you aren't able to be consistent with your irons?

Mizuno claims the MP-15s are for 0-8 handicap, are you way outside of that range?

I'd have to say at this point your best option is to follow dunn's advise. If your fitter is in fact "great and he knows what he is doing" he will get you headed in the right direction way better than random people on the internet ever could.[/quote]i am an 8

[quote name='Ivyguy' timestamp='1442425233' post='12322652']I'm partial to s55 myself.... But the new ping I series looks fantastic too and there have been some great reviews from them.

That being said (I'm gonna hate myself for saying this) but if your miss is thin, aren't the tmag irons with the face slots built for that miss. I am NOT a tmag fan, but I hit them and they are nice (kinda spinny) and forgiving (I'm a slider driver myself so thin is my miss as well). They look good.

Another thought would be to try and work out your kinks. I bought some new irons and struggled greatly with them for a time (same specs as my prior set) but it was just mental garbage. I am still playing the set 3 years later) and wishing that I bought another as my grooves are fading fast.

Hope this helps[/quote]i like them I just want to perform to the best of my ability and I hit the ball kind of short so that would help but I love the mp15s