2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Brittany Lincicome's 'Wie Attack'

Sounds like fightin' words...
"It's tough to accept. We're out here working our butts off to get a spot in that tournament and it's just handed to her." -- Brittany Lincicome, as told to The Star-Ledger, in response to Wie being giving the invitation to the Samsung.

Wish I could have seen her face when those words came out during that interview.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Britney ( Not Spears). However, I must admit, the business decision from the tournaments perspective is pretty smart. Who will be the first tournament to host Wie's first LPGA victory, its just a matter of time before she wins on the LPGA, then all questions will be answered.

I don't think a single win will shut up her critics. But she desperately needs to get that first win. No doubt about that. I wonder if she will get sprayed with champagne if and when she finally wins? Will be interesting to see if her peers celebrate with her.

Ok she just drank some haterade.....she is just a little unhappy that she has had to work to get where she is, and Wie is a "phenom" similar to tiger and the buzz that he creates when he is in an event and she gets some special treatment. I understand her feelings, but in the grand scheme of things this is business. Now don't get me wrong I AM NOT SAYING THAT WIE IS ANYWHERE NEAR TIGER just wanted to get that straight before all the bashers try and rip me.

The bottom line is, golfers like Wie grow the fields and bring more money, sponsor dollars, and TV money that the LPGA tour needs to get these women some more money. I would welcome her in any event, and would want her to do great if I was on the LPGA tour, becuase over the long run it will mean more money in my pocket....I.E. the Tiger Effect. The bottom line is if they are not chasing or setting records, they are out there to make a living....and anyone that can enhance the ability for me to make more money...I am going welcome them with open arms....

IMO

Dan

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

It will not be good for Wie in the future if her peers have no respect for her. I have heard many rumors that most of the players on the LPGA tour won't give her the time of day already. Its not surprising to see the other girls reacting this way.

...which might make life for her on the LPGA tour more difficult than it needs to be.

I agree with Britney ( Not Spears). However, I must admit, the business decision from the tournaments perspective is pretty smart. Who will be the first tournament to host Wie's first LPGA victory, its just a matter of time before she wins on the LPGA, then all questions will be answered.

I don't think a single win will shut up her critics. But she desperately needs to get that first win. No doubt about that. I wonder if she will get sprayed with champagne if and when she finally wins? Will be interesting to see if her peers celebrate with her.

They probably won't spray her with champagne.......she's still under age. LOL.

She's Korean-American (like myself), and as such, she identifies with both the US and Korea, and yes, Koreans have a heightened interest in her because of her Korean background. I agree that her exemptions aren't fair, but life isn't fair, it's all about the money. That being said, she needs to post some results, including a win, or the money stream is going to dry up.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW
Titleist SM10 Raw 54*, 58*

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Chrome Soft X Trutrack '24

Vessel Lite Lux

Perhaps a little too frank, but I can see her point.

And, with two wins in only her second full season on tour, let's face it, she's entitled to her opinion.

Sadly (or perhaps not) some players will always be the darlings of sponsors - who can invite anyone they like, and sometimes their choices will ruffle feathers.

I've no problem with Wie getting an invite to an LPGA tournament, but, when she uses up a spot that could have been filled by a male pro in a PGA event, I have a bit of an issue with that. I think that, primarily, is why Wie rubs some people the wrong way.

I hope she does well in the event, and in many others too, an fulfills her potential. On the LPGA though.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

I can understand where she is coming from. Doesn't it just get under your skin when someone is given something while you are working your tail off for it. Granted in the end you will be more rewarded if you work for it and succeed, but it is still frustrating to see someone else get a pass while you work your tail off.

I can understand where she is coming from. Doesn't it just get under your skin when someone is given something while you are working your tail off for it. Granted in the end you will be more rewarded if you work for it and succeed, but it is still frustrating to see someone else get a pass while you work your tail off.

That is an excellent point. However, some people would rather have everything handed to them. While others would rather earn it. Personally, I feel she should turn down the invitations and just start qualifying. This would quiet down her critics quite a bit I think.

And I am sure she could qualify if she tried.

She's born here in America. Her parents came from Korea.

Which means she is an American. But that isn't what we are discussing here regardless. No reason to get into a discussion on what makes someone simply an American or a Korean-American. Let just say I don't call myself a Greek-American. :tongue:

Sponsor's exemptions are a fact of life. John Daly anyone?

I'm sure Lincicome's comments were a lot more innocent than they sound in print and without the questoin printed. The question was probably something like "How does it make you feel when you've worked hard and earned a position and then someone like Michelle Wie is given a sponsor's exemption when she hasn't even won a tournament?" That's a complete set-up question to evoke a controversial sounding answer.

Someone a little older and and more experienced with the media would probably have answered "Sponsor's exemptions are a fact of life on the LPGA. I try not to worry about other people and I just play my game." But she's young, she'll learn that things can be taken out of context and that tone and body language don't show up in print.

Sponsor's exemptions are a fact of life. John Daly anyone?

I'm sure Lincicome's comments were a lot more innocent than they sound in print and without the questoin printed. The question was probably something like "How does it make you feel when you've worked hard and earned a position and then someone like Michelle Wie is given a sponsor's exemption when she hasn't even won a tournament?" That's a complete set-up question to evoke a controversial sounding answer.

Someone a little older and and more experienced with the media would probably have answered "Sponsor's exemptions are a fact of life on the LPGA. I try not to worry about other people and I just play my game." But she's young, she'll learn that things can be taken out of context and that tone and body language don't show up in print.

Thats true. Another reason why I would have loved to have seen her actually say those words. It could have been like your described, or it could have been said in a hostile way also.

I can understand her peers being upset…certainly the expectations are high of Michelle..but deservedly so…she will win..it’s a matter of time..

I think Tiger faced the same scrutiny and criticism when he first broke out on tour and soon enough he silenced his critics…

Hopefully Michelle will do the same…

I can understand her peers being upset…certainly the expectations are high of Michelle..but deservedly so…she will win..it’s a matter of time..

I think Tiger faced the same scrutiny and criticism when he first broke out on tour and soon enough he silenced his critics…

Hopefully Michelle will do the same…

yes within Tigers first couple events, Huge Difference. Didnt he win 2 times his first Half season? Then won the master first time out as a pro, big differnce.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I was listening to XM on my way to Dallas this morning. PK interviewed David Ledbetter. Michelle Wie came up in conversation (shocking I know). Ledbetter mentioned that she was working hard for next week and she was committed to Stanford in the Fall. Which got me thinking........how seriously will she focus on golf while attending Stanford. Having a successful golf career in high school is a hell of a lot easier than managing Stanford and the LPGA.

And as far as exemptions go.....I am all for the sponsors giving spots to promising young athletes or local stars or whatever. But keep it to same sex exemptions*. Wie playing on the PGA Tour is the most ridiculous gimmick of 2006. I hope we never have to live through it again.

*The Sony in Hawaii is the only one that I support regarding Wie with the boys. She's a Sony check casher and from Hawaii... yada yada. But that's it. I draw the line there.

And as far as exemptions go.....I am all for the sponsors giving spots to promising young athletes or local stars or whatever. But keep it to same sex exemptions*. Wie playing on the PGA Tour is the most ridiculous gimmick of 2006. I hope we never have to live through it again.

Too late on that one. She has accepted an invite to the John Deere again this year.

Too late on that one. She has accepted an invite to the John Deere again this year.

Why am I not surprised. Now it's just getting irritating. Isn't that the one she got the infamous heat stroke in?

My My!! All this hate for such a beautiful young lady, and a heck of a golfer to boot. I personally can't wait for the Deere Classic to get here just to watch her play again.

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

I have a serous problem with people getting upset with her for other people's decisions. If Brittany wants to do something productive, be mad at the tournament director. Show your displeasure with there decision by boycotting the event. Don't blame Wie for trying to get in. Is there this kind of uproar on the weeks that a tournament director lets in a local high school player the same age, NO. Second, If the lpga commissioner would let her be a full member of the tour this wouldn't even be an argument. People keep acting like she hasn't proven herself on the lpga tour. If she had been allowed to be a member she would have kept her card on the limited amount of play she got last year and exemptions wouldn't even be an issue. I think she should be let in every event that her 2006 earnings would have gotten her in just like every other women on the lpga tour.

She really needs to petition the LPGA for full membership rights. She hasn't done this yet and I am sure it has to do with her school schedule. It would be great to see her out there week in and week out. I don't see her sticking to school for four full years. Maybe she will. It would really surprise alot of people though. As it has been touched on already, it would take a very special kinda person to balance a Stanford load and a professional golf career at the same time without one or the other suffering(or both). It will be a decision that is all her's.

Either way it will be alot of fun to watch.

I'm not sure Wie has applied for early membership to the LPGA. Does she even want to be a member? She's not said anything to support that she's even interested in membership. She's more than qualified.....but the LPGA are sticklers when it comes to under-age membership. This might be their way of saying they think kids should be kids before they play professional golf for a living. Morgan Pressel applied, was denied, pressed on and is now a Major winner.

Again...as was stated earlier...Lincicome's comments are vague. We don't know the question she was asked...just given an answer.

And as far as blaming Wie for BL's problems....nope, not me. I don't blame MW for trying to get into a women's event...go for it.....she's got game. But I do blame MW and her puppet masters for the PGA Tour crap. Get a clue already.....she can't play at their level. How many more missed cuts will it take for her to realize that? Maybe the one at the Master's.....but she'll never see the first tee box at that one. At least not as a player.

I know others have said this, but - it's all about the money. Like it or not, Wie is a phenom and people want to see her. Hell, I like to watch her hit the ball - what a great swing. Maybe Lincicome can hit it long, but her swing is not nearly as sweet as Wie's. Karrie Webb is a veteran and she said it best when she said she welcome's Wie's presence at any tournament. More Wie means more money for everyone. The same goes for the men's tour. The sponsor puts on the tournament so they get to pick. You think they want Joe or Jane Blow who nobody cares about besides his or her parents and friends or do they want 20,000 people who buy tickets to watch a girl hit it a ton with a great swing.

At some point she's going to get serious enough about the game to devote all her time to it. I don't think she's going to have a problem winning if she can put up with all the whiners now and keep right on trucking. That takes a lot of courage. In the meantime she's having a great time playing, learning from the best instructors, and spending her money. Perfect. Don't we all wish we could do the same?

People say you have to learn to win. Yeah maybe. You also have to learn how to lose and keep on going. You have to admit she's almost got that perfected and under a very intense public eye. :=)