2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Playing blades next year!!!

ge0vis

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1449921775' post='12710750']
[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1449848966' post='12707372']
[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1449800691' post='12705736']
So you're a 15? Yea you'll definitely become scratch now that you have blades in the bag! You can always fool em till the first tee!
[/quote]
And you care what he plays, why?
There is no right or wrong in what a person plays in this game. There is only what feels and looks right. Anyone who allows elitist thinking to dictate the equipment that they think they or anyone else should use could very well be missing some very good golf experiences as a result.
I wish the OP nothing but the best in his quest for better golf. What he is contemplating has helped many mid cappers become singles. I hope he becomes one of them.
[/quote]
You must not have read OP's post where he said "I want to get better and think this is a step in the right direction, what do you guys think?"
I sure didn't miss it. You did.
[/quote]
Nope, I didn't miss it at all. You apparently didn't read my reply. I agree that some people actually get better by playing blades. As I said, I got better by doing exactly what he's contemplating but I guess you missed that.......
Again, there is no right or wrong in what a person plays in golf. Right is what works for an individual, not someone's preconceived and incorrect notion of what is right.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been hanging out on this forum a little for about a year now. Really enjoying it. In that time I've picked up sets of Hogan PCs, Macgregor MTs from the 50s and some Palmer Tru-Matics (which look remarkably like the Srixon 945s the OP showcased on the first page, by the way) from the 60s. Bagged the PCs a couple times this year with not very good results. Anyway, I started playing some Adams XTD Tours about two months ago and really like them. I have not been able to find the matching gap wedge, so I put my PC Equalizer in and I'm loving it. I now have more confidence with it than any other club in my bag. I'm hitting it well over 100, probably up to 120, high and accurate as hell. Considering going full retard next year. Any reason I shouldn't expect similar results with a bag full of those puppies or is the Equalizer just a particularly good club?

[quote name='Prut' timestamp='1450214775' post='12724582']
Sorry for posting that. I had not read through the entire thread. It's really not a general discussion about deciding to play blades next year, is it? Never mind.
[/quote]

It devolved away from that, but I think attempting to get it back on topic is a worthy effort. :)

What made you select the PC's, if I may ask?

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1450215838' post='12724662']
[quote name='Prut' timestamp='1450214775' post='12724582']
Sorry for posting that. I had not read through the entire thread. It's really not a general discussion about deciding to play blades next year, is it? Never mind.
[/quote]

It devolved away from that, but I think attempting to get it back on topic is a worthy effort. :)

What made you select the PC's, if I may ask?
[/quote]

The devoted following they had on this board. I had just gotten out of college in '83 and didn't have the money to play much so I missed everything that came out for eight or 10 years.

[quote name='Prut' timestamp='1450214228' post='12724550']
I've been hanging out on this forum a little for about a year now. Really enjoying it. In that time I've picked up sets of Hogan PCs, Macgregor MTs from the 50s and some Palmer Tru-Matics (which look remarkably like the Srixon 945s the OP showcased on the first page, by the way) from the 60s. Bagged the PCs a couple times this year with not very good results. Anyway, I started playing some Adams XTD Tours about two months ago and really like them. I have not been able to find the matching gap wedge, so I put my PC Equalizer in and I'm loving it. I now have more confidence with it than any other club in my bag. I'm hitting it well over 100, probably up to 120, high and accurate as hell. Considering going full retard next year. Any reason I shouldn't expect similar results with a bag full of those puppies or is the Equalizer just a particularly good club?
[/quote]

I'd start by adding the 8 iron and 9 iron. I don't think you'd lose too much as far as distance or mishits with short irons.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

My first non cavity back was super heavy, stiff and flat PCs. I felt like I could really be accurate with them. I was really a beginner, too. I figured, after buying a used Vokey (or whaveter) forged wedge and how much feel and control that gave me, why not have that for every shot?

I think the PCs are set up a little long for me, and I really love my '56 Dynapowered irons, so I don't play them much. But there was a time the Equalizer was my greatest friend. That, and a Medallion wedge with the offset taken out.

Almost played the PC today, actually. But I decided to go with the Wilsons since it's not raining anymore. Didn't want to soak the leather grips.

Hey guys, first time coming into this area of the site. I think I might like it since less bickering seems to occur. I'm actually contemplating going back to blades too. I was just looking at the 712s again since I like the satin finish. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those three. All three are great looking irons.

Played for about 7 years with J33b and thinking about buying the j15 blades next year. I have been playing with TM MCs in between and like them okay but just not the same for me. There's something about the look of a great blade. I was in Arizona in November and used my J33s since I leave them down there for my spare set and played my best golf of the year.

To the OP, play whatever gives you the most enjoyment. Blades aren't going to hamper your progress improving but more enjoyment can only help it.

Glad to have checked this forum out!

[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1450138889' post='12721002']
Above entrance to my shop. just sayin
[/quote]I not only gave you a like on that but I will give you a big AMEN enough said!!

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

[quote name='Prut' timestamp='1450214228' post='12724550']
[/quote]Hogan wedges in general are great wedges I know that sounds funny coming from a confirmed member of the church of Macgregor but I will give credit where credit is due. I have a PC I rescued from the scrap pile at work. Trust me I looked for 2 days for the rest of the set. The shaft was broken so I reshafted with my standard shaft a S-300. Like the thing I also have a medallion Equalizer that hits good also.

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1450387373' post='12733018']
Like the thing I also have a medallion Equalizer that hits good also.
[/quote]

I left my medallion Equalizer behind at a pitch and putt last year. Very bummed out. Decided it was worth a try to see if it was turned in. Sure enough it was.

When I went to the office to get it, the manager said,"wha-... this thing... that's heavy!"

Flat, stiff and heavy - one way to make sure your clubs don't grow legs lol.

[quote name='stevemcgee99' timestamp='1450417571' post='12734678']
[/quote]

I left my medallion Equalizer behind at a pitch and putt last year. Very bummed out. Decided it was worth a try to see if it was turned in. Sure enough it was.

When I went to the office to get it, the manager said,"wha-... this thing... that's heavy!"

[/quote] That goes to back up something I said before many times. Us older guys that grew up with that type of equipment grew up and learned with those heavy wedges. You check a stock Hogan wedge (since we are talking Hogan here) a Equalizer will SW in about D-4 or D-5 and most Special Sand Irons about D-6 D-7. Most new stock PWs are around D-2 D-3 and most "utility wedges" are around D-4 out of the box.---- As far as the "flat" part I may be a little different than you. I do not go off of stock specs on any club for me especially wedges all that I set for me are around 65*. I have my Renegars around D-6 with the use of my favorite accessory-- Lead tape.

Just sold the 712 Mb's and the srixon z 945. I will be using the cobra amp cell pro irons next year and im excited!!! At least i dont have 3 sets to get used to by then and i can focus on one. I am gonna miss the srixons though man they were pretty!

Cobra King LTD Pro - Project X black Stiff
Srixon 545 5-pw - Nippon Stiff
Titleist SM6 50, 54, 58 Stiff
Byron Morgan DH89

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1450476743' post='12737122']
[quote name='stevemcgee99' timestamp='1450417571' post='12734678']
[/quote]

[/quote] That goes to back up something I said before many times. Us older guys that grew up with that type of equipment grew up and learned with those heavy wedges. You check a stock Hogan wedge (since we are talking Hogan here) a Equalizer will SW in about D-4 or D-5 and most Special Sand Irons about D-6 D-7. Most new stock PWs are around D-2 D-3 and most "utility wedges" are around D-4 out of the box.---- As far as the "flat" part I may be a little different than you. I do not go off of stock specs on any club for me especially wedges all that I set for me are around 65*. I have my Renegars around D-6 with the use of my favorite accessory-- Lead tape.
[/quote]

Guy I play with a 6-10 times each year was looking at my irons this past summer. He noticed the lead tape all over them, picked one up, was completely amazed at how heavy they felt. I think his irons are the new stock D1 or so, mine are D5ish, with wedges around D7 or D8.

I can't understand how he can play with something so light. He can't understand how I play with something so heavy. LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I have been posting in the wrong place :-( why I have not been here more is a mystery. I currently play MP-59s. I had a set, sold them and got some GI irons which did not last long. I quickly re-bought the MP-59s and ended up with a set that had steel fiber graphite shafts. I love these shafts and have improved my iron play immensely with the MBs. (I hate offsets and huge soles) I am hitting my irons as good as I ever have. I was told yesterday that I cannot play MBs or blades because GI irons are the best! I just love it when someone playing for a few years vs my 55 years of golf tells me how it is and what to play. I've been cruising the thrift stores for a nice set of blades or maybe some nice old Hogans.
This year I took several newer clubs out of my bag and put in clubs I used over 10 years ago and am scoring much better. I am still not to wood woods yet but am working on trying some. My driver is a few years old but I like it so we will see what I can do with a real wood. Cheers and Merry Christmas to all.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Welcome to our little corner of the universe, maverick!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Thank you for the nice welcome. Actually I have lurked this section for many years but never posted much. This is where I first heard about the Aerotech SteelFiber shafts. I remembered the excellent posts here on them so I was happy to try them and now love those shafts. I finally found a golf section I can relate to with like minded golfers. :happy:

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Got news far ya OP. If you think blades are a passageway to playing being a better player, traditionalist, or being accepted, you have already succumbed to peer pressure instead of staying with what works.

I played with MacGregor blades with the smallest sweet spots you can imagine, and with Zings that looked like snow plows.

The difference is minimal.

[quote name='John L.' timestamp='1451167060' post='12766110']
Got news far ya OP. If you think blades are a passageway to playing being a better player, traditionalist, or being accepted, you have already succumbed to peer pressure instead of staying with what works.

I played with MacGregor blades with the smallest sweet spots you can imagine, and with Zings that looked like snow plows.

[/quote]

Season of goodwill, my friend. Hope everything works out as well for you as you wish for others!

[quote name='stixman' timestamp='1451168337' post='12766178']

[/quote]

Season of goodwill, my friend. Hope everything works out as well for you as you wish for others!
[/quote]

In hindsight, it was a bit harsh, but it comes from years of experience with pounding 2-3 million balls with just about every make and model club that I could get my hands on.

Blade irons might be intimidating to some players at first look, but they hit about the same, and often work better overall under more different course conditions than their larger CB counterparts.

The term[b][i] "good enough to play blades"[/i][/b] should be thrown out of golf speak. There are just as many benefits to playing blades as there are with playing CB's, regardless if you are a newbie, or a experienced player.

I'm from the school of[u] "whateverwerks"[/u]

[quote name='John L.' timestamp='1451210675' post='12767596']
[quote name='stixman' timestamp='1451168337' post='12766178']

[/quote]

[/quote]

In hindsight, it was a bit harsh, but it comes from years of experience with pounding 2-3 million balls with just about every make and model club that I could get my hands on.

Blade irons might be intimidating to some players at first look, but they hit about the same, and often work better overall under more different course conditions than their larger CB counterparts.

The term[b][i] "good enough to play blades"[/i][/b] should be thrown out of golf speak. There are just as many benefits to playing blades as there are with playing CB's, regardless if you are a newbie, or a experienced player.

I'm from the school of[u] "whateverwerks"[/u]
[/quote]I am from the "whateverwerks" school also

[quote name='maverick' timestamp='1450919201' post='12757642']
I found some Spalding XR-100s today but it was a 3,5,7,9 set. Any suggestions on re-gripping? The old grips are slick and hard and small. I have big hands.
[/quote]Depends seriously on how you grip the club. I have ham hocks for hands wear a XXL glove which I have to stretch out. Now I use standard sized Tour Wraps.This is because I hold the club in my fingers more than the rest of my hands. No build up just 1 piece of .010 masking tape even all the way down and I air blow my grips on. you will have to experiment around and find what feels comfortable for you. I will stress as I have before on here before many times comfort is important on the grip period because that is your only contact with the club and any tension with the grip at all will cause tension throughout the swing. Everyone is different on this from the actual grip itself and the diameter you will have to experiment.

[quote name='ge0vis' timestamp='1449806246' post='12706088']
Fool who? Half the time I play by myself and the other half with my friends who already know I'm a 15. Has nothing to do with fooling anyone.
[/quote]

Don't listen to the people who tell you that you need to be a certain hdcp. to play blades. They may feel crummy on mishits, but they will more than make up for it in other areas like chipping, hard fairways, and thick grasses. You cant beat a smaller head with thinner soles in those conditions. I switched back and forth between MacGregor Tourney's , Zings, and G5's for years and never scored any different overall. My son, who was a 16 handicap at the time, stole my Tourney's from my garage two years ago when I gave up the game. His Cobra "watchamacallits" have been rusting away in the back of his garage ever since. He loves my old Tourney's , but the chrome is peeling off of some of the irons.... (33 yrs. old) He's been asking me of my opinion on some of the new blades out there. I keep telling him to go hit everything he can get his hands on and make his own decisions. My son plays off of a 11 hdcp now, according to the last GHIN I checked.

• 2 weeks later...

I've hit all three indoors on a mat which i know doesnt do it justice but these michigan winters are killing me and im itching to get them out on a course going to san diego next week and can only take one and cant make up my mind yet!

good luck in your search! I'm +1 in hitting any blade for a instant reality check (by that I mean getting to the range and digging it outta the dirt). you'll know your ball striking is reaching another level when you start striping the 6,5,4,3 irons. ain't holdin' no "game improvement" in them sumbitches.